• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
To potentially make more money since this is a massive investment. Minecraft is still available on other platforms.

Microsoft can still have a competitive advantage by putting games day 1 on gamepass while other platforms have to buy them full price.

this is just such a big purchase. It's a little scary and has me worried about an arms race between Sony and Microsoft to the point where too many games are exclusive.

I'm not buying that. Now if Sony wants to allow gamepass on their console, yes.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Imagine later today the announcement that all prior Zenimax titles being available on Game Pass. Don't know how many or on their now but I'd love to see them all!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PC and PS5 is going to be the best combo next-gen.

ALL MS games
ALL EA Play games
ALL Bethesda games

on Gamepass, at launch.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I never would have figured that Xbox SX would be my main this coming gen, but it is not. More powerful, gamepass full of greatness, and the controller I prefer. Weird how shit can shift on a dime. Hopefully Bungie makes it easy to Switch from one platform to another.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It makes most sense to keep the games multiplatform, right.

Yes. It's a massive purchase which is going to require a lot of revenue to justify and you don't do that by dropping multiplatform support. And in the end, Microsoft isn't trying to sell you an Xbox, they're trying to sell you a GamePass subscription. Their endgame is to have GamePass on everything and not have to bother with their own console at all.

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
The Games will still come to PlayStation, confirmed by Todd Howard.

t.co

Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

I have had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.

EicVghHWAAI92WX

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
With as big as this is I almost don't see them going full exclusivity with the titles, at least all of them. The games being day one on game pass is enough of a selling feature though. I was pretty much sold on getting both anyway but now I am wayyyy more excited to get an xbox, especially once the back catalog hopefully hits game pass.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I don't feel good about this acquisition as it a publisher not a developer. I mean I don't want to get locked out of long term franchises like doom, fallout and elder scrolls because I am not picking up a Microsoft console.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I guess I'm getting an XSS down the line. Microsoft really is not playing around. Had to do a double take just now when I read it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Since I have the game pass on PC this news makes me quite happy. That's a hell lot of good games available day 1 on game pass. Nice.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I honestly don't know what to think about this. Did not expect this outcome but I guess it makes sense. Game Pass value keeps increasing. I don't know how this will impact future Bethesda games like the Elder Scrolls but I'm hoping for the best.

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
So does this mean that all Bethesda games will be 1st party MS Studios games now?

IE: Will they all drop day 1 on Game Pass, while other platforms have to charge RRP for them?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Games will still come to PlayStation, confirmed by Todd Howard.

t.co

Todd Howard On Joining Xbox

I have had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.

EicVghHWAAI92WX
That could be talking about PC / Phone / Xbox.

Dude needs to lay it out straight and say "Playstation" for it to be true.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
For the next couple years, yeah. Too late in development to halt any work. But after that... I wouldn't count on seeing Bethesda games outside of Xbox, PC and maybe Switch.
I could see Microsoft releasing the big guns on PS5 (Fallout and Elder Scrolls) too much money for those.

But other games like Rage, Doom, Arkane Studios games and etc will probably be exclusive.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
If the games are not coming to playstation i feel bad for the people that invested in de playstation ecosystem the last few gens. You would not easily give up your purchased to buy an Xbox. And to the people that dont have the financial resources to buy both consoles. This really sucks for them.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The entire news drop and 37 page thread took place while I was driving to work lmao

Biggest next gen acquisition by far.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think this is anti-consumer at all; if anything, this is pro-consumer since we all know their games will be on Steam / Game Pass / xCloud. Microsoft also isn't opposed to putting some of their titles on other platforms (Switch), so yeah. Not the end of the gaming world.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I guess Minecraft is Xbox only.
The situation is not the same because it was microsoft overall company that bought minecraft, and minecraft is a games as a service game that was already multiplate. Bethesda acquisition is directly linked to the xbox division and new games are new games

Oct 31, 2017
Lol MS just started a game, I don't think they are going to like. If Sony starts acquiring Capcom/Sega/etc., this is going to get ugly real quick.
Same thing I'm thinking.

I dunno why people are rejoicing about this. Sony or MS buying entire third party publishers isn't going to end well for us especially if they start making the games these publishers put out exclusive to their platforms.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how this will affect the resources allocated for games like ESVI. If it is not released on PS5 and day one Game Pass it must surely change the scope of the game and the way it is released (byte sized?)
Skyrim was and is a sales monster. They aren't going to mess with the main reason they bought Bethesda by reducing the resources allocated to the next Elder Scrolls game. If anything I imagine funding will increase.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't feel good about this acquisition as it a publisher not a developer. I mean I don't want to get locked out of long term franchises like doom, fallout and elder scrolls because I am not picking up a Microsoft console.
Yeah I definitely feel sympathetic for people who can't afford both consoles. It's never fun to see people get left out.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Damn this sucks for everybody except Microsoft. Well I might as well buy the dishonored 1 + 2 pack on PSN right now.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Interesting... Let's see which games come out and when. Not sure it's good for gaming for such a large publisher to become platform limited but hey it's business so can totally see why Microsoft wants to do this.

kingPaPi

Mar 28, 2018
Nyc/LA
I legit have no enjoyed a Bethesda game outside of doom 2016 in the last 8 plus years

Hopefully this means games like fallout are much more polished when released.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
So many 'concerned' console people. Come on all, I would eat crow but it's not likely MS will give up all that money coming from PS owners for these games.

How much did Skyrim alone make?

They will get things on gamepass day 1 to entice you and maybe some other things like that. But to me it's very likely that Nintendo and Sony keep getting the big established franchises.

They are already "giving up" 7.5 billion dollars with this move because they desperately want Xbox to gain back market share after their terrible sales this gen. I really wouldn't count on them releasing any future game on any other platform than their own, unless Xbox sales tank again.