• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is the biggest industry acquisition I can remember since....... ever?
Bethesda is a massive publisher, this is crazy.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yeah I guess. But does Bethesda really have that kind of market share or even mindshare?

I'm biased because I hate Bethesda's games, sure Doom, Fallout, Elder Scrolls are big but... I just think it's too much.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout aren't just big, they are massive. Like as big as you can be as an RPG massive.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Microsoft, chill the fuck out, I was already getting the series S, for fuck's sake. Easily the biggest acquisition related Megaton holy shit.

Oct 26, 2017
THIS IS HUGE !!!!! i can see fallout game now.

giphy.gif
Holy shit

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Doom is the main game series I'm annoyed about. Eternal is so good, PS4/5 not getting the expansion now sucks. (Or maybe they will? Haven't dug through all the details yet).
I imagine stuff that is already announced and dated like the Doom expansion pack are likely contracted already so they will come to the PS4 at the very least.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
This honestly is effecting my next-gen purchase this fall. I'm really undecided now.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
If you can`t make it buy it lmao.
Megaton acquisition this is totally changing gaming landscape, i guess people will stop complaining about Sony acquisitions/exclusivity deals since nothing was remotely near this size/aggressiveness.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
While is this very monopolistic.... the idea of Edler Scrolls and Fallout under better run management does take the edge off. Also Obsidian having access to the Fallout IP is nice.

But still bad. Even if all of these games still come out on PlayStation (PC is a given).

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Those games are definitely going xbox/pc exclusive. You don´t pay that kinda money to aquire them and then pay them to have them continue making games for your competitor.
Things that are currently in development or have previous contracts for multi platform release will come out everywhere.
After that though, you´re gonna need an xbox or pc if you wanna play bethesda games.
They're trying to sell Xboxes.
People act like its all gamepass etc.
No you don't do RD for these consoles and spend 7.5b just to release games on ps5 and gamepass lol.

If that were true then why buy the whole company. Just pay for games on gamepas individually like they did with KH

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To potentially make more money since this is a massive investment. Minecraft is still available on other platforms. And from a personal stand point I like the idea of as many people playing something as possible.

Microsoft can still have a competitive advantage by putting games day 1 on gamepass while other platforms have to buy them full price.

this is just such a big purchase. It's a little scary and has me worried about an arms race between Sony and Microsoft to the point where too many games are exclusive.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that still doesn't make me want to buy an Xbox because Microsoft's games are all coming to PC anyway.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So many 'concerned' console people. Come on all, I would eat crow but it's not likely MS will give up all that money coming from PS owners for these games.

How much did Skyrim alone make?

They will get things on gamepass day 1 to entice you and maybe some other things like that. But to me it's very likely that Nintendo and Sony keep getting the big established franchises.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Wow!
Was only going to pre order one Series X tomorrow for the wife but being a massive Bethesda fan Im now ordering one for myself as well.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Wowza. So Dishonored, Prey, Wolfenstein, Doom, Fallout, Skyrim all Xbox/PC exclusive. That's going to be absolutely massive for the Western console market.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
They will still be multiplatform obviously. 7.5 Billion is a Microsoft acquisition that benefits Xbox. It's just that PlayStation will never be associated with or market another Zenimax game again. Plus the added benefit of Day one Gamepass for Xbox.

Do you think? i sont see ps5 mentioned.

This includes Microsoft's intent to bring Bethesda's future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
God damn elders scrolls 6 is my most anticipated game but at same time I was going to get ps5 for some exclusives.

Think I will get a PC now due to this...

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Seen a few people suggest a biproduct of this pPower play is to push Game Pass onto PS5.

Makes sense.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad Bethesda (well Arkane and Id) only make games I prefer to play on PC, PC game pass just became a lot more interesting.

I hope this doesn't become a trend though, the last thing we need is the big console manufacturers buying up everything.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
If Bethesda games are no longer coming to Playstation consoles, this is literally enough for me to be done with gaming.

I'm not console war'ing here. I have just always preferred Playstation, and I'm not interested in buying an Xbox.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not necessarily. It seems Bethesda will still publish their games.

I bet they stay multi-platform, but with perks for Xbox / PC like marketing, early access only on Xbox, and Game Pass day one.

For the next couple years, yeah. Too late in development to halt any work. But after that... I wouldn't count on seeing Bethesda games outside of Xbox, PC and maybe Switch.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Damn, MS isn't playing around this time, hardware is great and now, alongside the previous acquisitions, they have the software to back it up, Series S / Switch seems like the best way to enjoy gaming at a reasonable price, for power Series X / Switch or PC / Switch.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days); platform wars, history of platform wars
if Sony bought Bethesda, the same people who are expressing the most concern right now... would be writing new threads about what Sony's first party talent might bring to the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchise instead

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
The only people this affects are one console owners without PCs. Looks like MS finally taking exclusives seriously instead of waiting for their previous AA acquisitions to go anywhere.