• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
The mother of all moneyhats, unsurprising coming from Microsoft. That's the way they've always rolled.

Seems a bit overpriced to me, given Bethesda's downward path this gen, and Zenimax's biggest hits still not really being up there critics or sales wise (thinking of Dishonored, Prey, Wolfenstein, etc) but definitely gives big IP power to MS.

But first parties buying publishers is terrible news imo.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insane acquisition.

Zenimax was constantly making one boneheaded move after another, Game Pass will need prestige content from the likes of Arkane and unlike Sony and their weird exclusivity bullshit with third-parties, MS games are actually available on PC and they're even open to working with Nintendo. So yeah, I'm fine with this. Better than someone like Sony or Epic.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I never said that. I don't like this move because I've always said that 3rd party companies should remain 3rd party companies. I don't like moves like this as it hurts gamers. We saw what happened with Street Fighter V.

I don't understand your argument here.

* Capcom has still remained a 3rd party company, 3rd party companies make occasional exclusives often enough.

* Street Fighter V is exclusive to PS (and PC) because Sony paid for all of the development costs directly. The game legitimately would not exist without Sony in the first place. MS didn't want to pay for it, likely because they didn't want a competitor to Killer Instinct. SF5 just straight up not existing would hurt gamers more than the current situation IMO.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I gotta believe Sony knew this was coming, and is in talks for a similarly big acquisition.
Ubisoft? Square? Activision?
in all honesty, now that Xbox pushed the nuclear button... I can see Sony acquiring Capcom. Square Enix and SEGA are too diverse and huge for Sony to want them IMO. However, if something stupid is coming, I think Square Enix are on Sony's sights

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I just thought of something... What is MS doesn't want a hardware division and wants to publisher games and provide a service?

Hardware continues to be always bring initial loss (if ever profits) and let's be honest an acquisition like this wouldn't be profitable for many years as an exclusive. So what if MS is getting this to not only bolster it's GP line up but expand their publishing arm to go full game publisher. With Xbox hardware just being their as a brand but not a focus. I mean they have stated that total hardware sales isn't how they are considering things a success.

I mean they could still put out games on other platforms and use the Xbox as pushing it's services untill a full transition to software only.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Era is weird sometimes.

Era: I'm not going to buy xbox because it doesn't have games I like
MS bought studios
Era: no fuck you MS

It's not weird at all. People don't want to have to spend extra money, especially on platforms for games that may have previously been multi-platform. That said, the goal of the different platforms is to make you want to spend more money, or feel the need to invest in their products and services. That's the point.

Vegetom

Oct 28, 2017
People being disappointed the 50 dollar discount not happening tomorrow... You'll save a lot more by not having to buy a LOT of awesome games because of gamepass.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Said "Holy whit, what?" out loud. Absolute megaton. Curious whether MS will publish games like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake etc. on other platforms or if the will be really XBOX/PC-exclusive. Really a lot to digest.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
Woooow.

Not up to speed with who's running things at Zenimax, but they have a history of being business assholes, they're why Prey 2 didn't happen and Human Head almost went under, so guess I'll hope that those people will be made to GTFO. They won't, but I'll hope.

Somewhat concerned about games being put on the Microsoft Store. Some of Bethesda's games are of the type that you'd want to buy and mod.
But MS games launch at the same day at steam now...

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone should equate this to when MS bought Mojang, especially in terms of multi-platform distribution.

There is a major difference between buying out a developer vs. buying out a publisher. I think MS spent 7.5b to acquire exclusivity rights. They have gained so many IPs that could all be system sellers.

Yep. People comparing Cuphead, Ori, and Minecraft getting multiplatform releases is a bit shortsighted. One of those titles isn't even owned by Microsoft, and they've yet to any of their tentpole Xbox franchises anywhere else. Even ones that would make sense like a Killer Instinct or Banjo-Kazooie port haven't happened.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I did not see this one coming at all. I am not particularly happy with what it could mean for the industry. That said, as someone with 2+ years of GPU this is a benefit to me.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
People thinking Bethesda games will still come out on PlayStation consoles are dreaming.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can only hope that this doesn't result in previously multiplatform franchises becoming exclusive.

Oct 19, 2018
Crazy, I'm curious if we'll actually learn how many people lose jobs as a result as has been mentioned with this size of an acquisition.

I was concerned with the timed exclusives and with how some of their recent games performed that they may be in some trouble - didn't think this would be a cure.

Raggen

Oct 7, 2019
I really wonder how this will affect the resources allocated for games like ESVI. If it is not released on PS5 and day one Game Pass it must surely change the scope of the game and the way it is released (byte sized?)

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
That's not very pro-consumer is it? /s

I'm really out of the loop regarding sales and whatnot so I can't say if 7.5bn is too much or too little for all that.