• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
You don't like this move only because Sony might do something like this?

You're fine with Microsoft doing this though? comical.
I never said that. I don't like this move because I've always said that 3rd party companies should remain 3rd party companies. I don't like moves like this as it hurts gamers. We saw what happened with Street Fighter V.

What I said, and perhaps I should have clarified is that this could signal a major acquisition war, with 3rd party companies being gobbled up and gamers could miss out on games because they're not fans of one console/platform or another.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If Elder Scrolls, Doom and Fallout go exclusive, then that is very bad. I hope they stay multiplatform.

Games

Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong for thinking this sucks?
No one should want the larger studios stuck under platform holders.

As someone who largely plays on the PC and still ends up buying every console anyway for some reason, it doesn't really affect me, but if Microsoft decides to tighten up and close themselves off again, which they will if they get a majority of the market because that's how you make the most money, then all of their recent acquisitions are going to pull a lot of games away from a lot of people.

Sony bought exclusivity to Spider-Man in a bad Avengers game though, so I guess it evens out.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Elder Scrolls VI is a big blockbuster game that costs a lot to make. Certainly it doesn't make financial sense on Game Pass?

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017

TDA7ou.gif

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is massive. Tango, Machine Games, and Arkane put out some of my favorite titles this past gen, glad they will be more secure (hopefully), but this will be interesting for sure.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017

In case there was any doubt, Microsoft is really serious about becoming the Netflix of gaming. (Bethesda acquisition). Microsoft and Bethesda offerings guaranteed, plus that EA deal they did recently.

This. I'm seriously confused by a lot of these reactions on here. Now if Sony or Nintendo bought them--then we could panic. Microsoft is playing a different game right now. They don't care about the console warrior shit.

It's time to pay attention. The next decade will be interesting.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Game Pass just keeps getting better. What an insane value proposition it is at this point.

Xbox All Access XSS just became the best deal in the history of gaming (usurping the former undisputed champion The Orange Box).

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Will be disappointing if people here who were so critical of Sony's own exclusives for being exclusives suddenly have nothing to say about famous cross platform games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, etc potentially becoming exclusives to Xbox.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"We will be adding Bethesda's iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC."

Is there anyone out there that doesn't think that Gamepass is the best deal in gaming? EA and now Bethesda games as well.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is huge.

I wonder how Sony will respond to this. Will this make Sony buy Square Enix or Sega?

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
If this was Sony buying them I would be worried, but Microsoft releases games on other platforms. Minecraft releases on all platform. Microsoft also releases everything on PC so you'll never get into a situation where you cannot get a game without owning a specific console.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
This is a major get for Game Pass subscribers. The entire Bethesda back catalog should be added to Game Pass soon and all future Bethesda titles will be day one on the service. The value proposition of Game Pass just got a HUGE boost.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's nobody left for Sony to buy that could ever come close to matching this. A cruddy little port team like Bluepoint? Come on.

Like Microsoft basically went for the absolute jugular here and Sony's got no way of countering it.
No, they are plenty. Sony doesn't have the money like MS, though.

I don't think there gaming side knows how stacked MS is outside of gaming these days. They're quietly reaching Apple and Amazon levels due to their cloud technology.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone should equate this to when MS bought Mojang, especially in terms of multi-platform distribution.

There is a major difference between buying out a developer vs. buying out a publisher. I think MS spent 7.5b to acquire exclusivity rights. They have gained so many IPs that could all be system sellers.