• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dear Microsoft, please ensure that Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI are not riddled with MTX and I'll buy a Series X

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Sony buy Sega or SE or something in response and in 10 years all games are made by 4 or 5 companies. This is not a good move for the wider industry.

Why does everyone think Sony is going to start buying up other large companies? When was the last time Sony ever bought a company anywhere near as large as Bethesda?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This is a shitty move regardless of whichever platform holder got this exclusivity. The only people I'm happy for are the teams/developers that get more job security because of this.

It just feels like you literally cut off an entire gaming base because of this. If Sony did it, it would suck for Xbox gamers. Buying a studio that has literally been third party for so long now doesn't sit right with me.
I would much, much rather have a beloved developer in the hands of Microsoft than Sony, if only because Microsoft has been so much more liberal about allowing other platforms to publish their content.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely this becomes a case of MS saying well you could get your Bethesda games on PS for £60, or come over to us and get them all inclusive on Gamepass day one. Win win on MS behalf.

Correct. These won't go full exclusive. Just free with GP or pay $70 elsewhere.

It's a win win for them. Going to be amazing to see the mod support when it is now part of MS and they can integrate it.

Colargogol

Jan 22, 2020
Now that I think about it, this makes sense.
Bethesda produces a lot of pure single-player games and several high-profiles bets tanked in the last few years (Dishonored 2, Prey, The Evil Within 2). It's really a good solution if, instead of having to compromise on the concepts of their games, they can just put them on gamepass.
I hope that also means they will fund The Evil Within 3.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
This is a HUGE get for MS, reaching Sony's value on first party devs in one move IMO!

Good thing I game on PC too, because I fear for these IPs availability on other platforms. Has there been a bigger game studio acquisition than this?

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
If those Bethesda RPGs really do not come to PlayStation anymore, this is the first real step to migrate a lot of PS users to XBox/PC. This is really f'ing huge and I'm damn disappointed that I won't be able to play them on my main platform. Doom is not a must have, but I'll be missing that too.
Potentially gonna buy a XBox now sooner than I thought, because now it is guaranteed that XBox will have great exclusives that can't be missed.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Well that's fucking massive. Not holding out for a Fallout Switch port now (although MS has been liberal with putting stuff there so who knows)

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Big games will be timed exclusive to gamepass ill wager rather than xbox specifically. Come to ps5 3, 6, 12 months later, but if your gagging to play starfield or ES6, youre not gonna wait. Incredibly powerful play

Well, I guess this is what happens when we complain Xbox doesn't have enough 1P software.

Exactly! Where are the games Microsoft? in the bank man

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to lie, I'm already subscribed to Game Pass for the next two years but knowing games like Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls will be dropping Day 1 on it have pretty much sealed the deal on buying a Series X. But holy hell, crazy acquisition by Microsoft

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the inevitable sony meetings that are about to happen today.

Wonder what they'll say. They've been kind of poking the bear with their own exclusivity deals.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

In case there was any doubt, Microsoft is really serious about becoming the Netflix of gaming. (Bethesda acquisition). Microsoft and Bethesda offerings guaranteed, plus that EA deal they did recently.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
This entire forum rn lmao

SmartSelect_20200921-013038_YouTube.gif

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Those games are definitely going xbox/pc exclusive. You don´t pay that kinda money to aquire them and then pay them to have them continue making games for your competitor.
Things that are currently in development or have previous contracts for multi platform release will come out everywhere.
After that though, you´re gonna need an xbox or pc if you wanna play bethesda games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This is beyond wild.

I expected them to purchase some big studios, but not Bethesda. Considering Bethesda has some really talented studios (and also has Bethesda RPGs), this makes the GamePass far more appealing.

I wonder what this can mean for future projects, PC will be fine and I'm sure Nintendo ports will still be a thing, but I wonder if they will use exclusive Elder Scrolls games etc... to make Xbox/PC a stronger choice. With both Bethesda and Obsidian, they have some of the most popular WRPG developers as internal studios now.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
....I think I might buy an Xbox Series X.

What a bizzaro big move, kinda not good but it's just so bizzarre. Noone saw this coming.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft going for the throat, the next Skyrim being a Xbox/PC exclusive will be massive.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Buying a Studio is one thing. Buying a Publisher and all their Studios is quite another. As primarily a Playstation player, I'll be very interested in how this shakes out. If you are an Xbox player though - damn. Gamepass got a hell of a lot thicker today. Girthy even.