• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
give us a big budget Star Ocean.

Idk if it needs to be 6, could even just call it Star Ocean tbh., PS5, XSX, PC. Make it amazing. Make it like SO3 style.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Here's hoping for SO6.

I'm also hoping we eventually get the rest of the Star Ocean games on PC. I think SO4 is the only one on PC, currently, but it still holds up well and looks amazing in 4K.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just give me Second Evolution R and Blue Sphere R on Switch. And Lenneth R while they're at it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Second Evolution R will hopefully launch this year, that's what I'm hopeful for.

If we can get a new Star Ocean with a decent budget... thats asking alot

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us Second Evolution R and then SO6 with a better story. Combat for me has been good all around so just give us a story that is at least passable.

Last edited:

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I would find it weird that they would go with Star Ocean yet again after SO5 bombed so terribly, one would imagine that they'd try new things. But then again, they can just repurpose many of the assets from Star Ocean Anamnesis to a Star Ocean 6 sequel rather than for example Valkyrie Profile 3.

I guess it's weird when you consider the fact that Valkyrie Profile is their more critically lauded series.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I would wish for a remaster/remake of 2 and 3, or a new real premium console SO6. I really hope one of these happens, as I love this series and figured it was dead at this point.

Oct 31, 2017
I would find it weird that they would go with Star Ocean yet again after SO5 bombed so terribly, one would imagine that they'd try new things. But then again, they can just repurpose many of the assets from Star Ocean Anamnesis to a Star Ocean 6 sequel rather than for example Valkyrie Profile 3.

I guess it's weird when you consider the fact that Valkyrie Profile is their more critically lauded series.
It's obvious that SO5 sold badly because it was a low budget and bad game

outside of SO5 Star Ocean has always been more popular than Valkyrie Profile

If tri-Ace wants to try one more big budget game they'll obviously go with their most popular franchise

it's that simple

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
If they make a new one, tri-Ace needs to keep the seamless battles from 5 but limit the number of party members to 4.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's obvious that SO5 sold badly because it was a low budget and bad game

outside of SO5 Star Ocean has always been more popular than Valkyrie Profile

If tri-Ace wants to try one more big budget game they'll obviously go with their most popular franchise

it's that simple

their most popular franchise also has had two major duds that have tarnished the brand and the Star Ocean IP is not viewed in as positive of a light as before.

Normally this would mean trying new things or returning to their second-most popular and also much more critically acclaimed and revered Valkyrie Profile series that hasn't seen a new entry since 2008, yet has managed to sell 2,2 million copies across only four products (VP1, Lenneth, VP2, CoP).

Oct 31, 2017
their most popular franchise also has had two major duds that have tarnished the brand and the Star Ocean IP is not viewed in as positive of a light as before.

Normally this would mean trying new things or returning to their second-most popular and also much more critically acclaimed and revered Valkyrie Profile series that hasn't seen a new entry since 2008, yet has managed to sell 2,2 million copies across only four products (VP1, Lenneth, VP2, CoP).
Idk about SO4 being a "major dud" since I know it sold at least 500k copies

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Idk about SO4 being a "major dud" since I know it sold at least 500k copies

500k copies coming from the series' previous +1 million sales is definitely a major dud, on top of the critical reception to SO4 that basically turned the series into a running joke. Usually when IPs have commercial and critical bombs, especially two times with SO4 and SO5, then it's either try something else or reboot the entire thing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never understood the insane knee-jerk reaction to the twist.

I guess cause some believe that the twist means that nothing in any of the games mattered anymore.

Which I think personally is kind of stupid, but no convincing them lol

(Despite the fact that everything that happens after the twist is revealed is literally going on and on about why it all DOES matter)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, I remember that thread last month or so about Tri-Ace working on a new action/RPG, finger crossed it'll be much better than 5.
Still can't believe I got the Platinum of that one, but the game is actually mega short if you skip cutscenes it takes 5/6 hours to finish it, Platinum requires to finish it 3 times.

Oct 31, 2017
500k copies coming from the series' previous +1 million sales is definitely a major dud, on top of the critical reception to SO4 that basically turned the series into a running joke. Usually when IPs have commercial and critical bombs, especially two times with SO4 and SO5, then it's either try something else or reboot the entire thing.
Well, I said "at least." From what I remember seeing, it sold at least 500k with the 360 version alone. I have no idea what the overall sales were.

And I'm not sure what else to tell you. There's a reason why the tech demo was Star Ocean footage, why they did SO5, why Anamnesis was their most successful mobile title, and why they're seemingly doing a new SO game. And it's not because they see Valkyrie Profile as the most lucrative IP. If they did then we'd be seeing a VP3.