• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Remaster is okay, but they're limiting themselves by not doing a full on remake.
Yeah. Make the AI even better, add Ray-tracing, add 4K textures, improve the audio, improve the physics, improve the destruction, and add a full-blown dynamic weather system that affects the physics, visibility, etc . . .

Make it a tech showcase with a Ryzen 2700, 16 gb of RAM and a GTX 2070 as minimum specs.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Crysis would be worth playing in 2020? I tried playing it last year and it just felt like a now outdated graphics test, with some fairly limited superpowers, and solid shooting. The story never seemed to have much appeal.
Crysis 1 is a fantastic shooter.

It's a brilliant blend of sandbox gameplay and open level design. Frankly FPS game design has largely regressed since Crysis 1 released.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that is the first tweet from the official Crysis account since 2016. I am guessing something will happen. Also Nvidia liked the tweet.

Come on Crytek, lets make the RTX 3080 Ti obsolete at launch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crysis 1 remake with 3 bounce ray trace global illumination

set pcs on fire, Crytek

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me why Crysis would be worth playing in 2020? I tried playing it last year and it just felt like a now outdated graphics test, with some fairly limited superpowers, and solid shooting. The story never seemed to have much appeal.

Because it has ambitious level design that surpasses most shooters in 2020.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a Crysis game before. Questions:
- What is a modern shooter comparison?
- What makes Crysis special?
- Are they the sort of games that hold up today?
- Are all (3?) games in the series good and worth playing if Remastered?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

It wasn't really a game where the story was the strength, it was all about huge open levels with truly emergent gameplay - before that became a buzzword - using very flexible and diverse systems. IMO it remains a remarkable FPS today for reasons totally outside its graphics.

Last edited:

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2 and 3 were amazing as well. Sad that people didn't like them that much, I found them fantastic to play through.
(played on PC, obv)

I agree, I think they get too hard a time. They lacked a bit of the freedom of play of C1 but I really enjoyed the urban environments. I actually much preferred them to the original in the end.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Personally want a new Crysis. I want to see what a 2023 game looks like. Crysis games have been at minimum 3 years ahead of their time graphically. The first game was like 6.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
2 and 3 were amazing as well. Sad that people didn't like them that much, I found them fantastic to play through.
(played on PC, obv)
I agree with 2, I'm not that fan of 3. But it's true that they are kinda overlooked, and what they achieved on last gen consoles with those is amazing.

Also, let's be real here, Crysis 1 is mostly sandbox-y for the first few levels, it quickly becomes pretty linear afterwards (it doesn't make it anything less awesome than it was)

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please be a full blown Remake.

Imagine a full blown remake that uses the entire DX12 Ultimate and DirectStorage featureset... Crytek would lead the graphics tech once again!

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The tank level in 4K with ray tracing.

mwki3a.gif

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Waiter, I'll have a Crysis remake or a Crysis 4, thank you. And don't hold back on the PC requirements.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
Hope they go back to its root. Crysis1's Semi-openworldish world build was amazing. Personally, it had more memorable moments than the others in the series.

Oct 30, 2017
1. Depends on which game you're referencing. Crysis 1 has Far Cry's sandbox design without all the filler. Has combat abilities (invisibility, armor, super strength, etc.) and weapon mods. Crysis 2 is incredibly linear with a heavier focus on setpieces a la Call of Duty. Crysis 3 is like a weird mixture of both.

2. Crysis 1 is special because of being notoriously difficult to run at the time of release. It is also a very gorgeous game that improved on Crytek's game design introduced in the OG Far Cry.

3. I'm sure Crysis 1 and its expansion hold up well today. The sequels are fairly formulaic but nothing about it is necessarily dated except for the linear structure (although Crysis 3 expanded the maps somewhat). Also, the story sucks and is super "HOORAH" military BS.

4. Depends on what is improved. Aside from performance (Crysis 2 and 3 ran like dogshit on X360 and PS3), I really think Crysis 1 is the only one worth trying. That's my opinion at least.

Feb 8, 2018
There have been rumours of Crysis Remastered for a while now.

Another remaster, but this could mean there will be a new Crysis for the next gen. Enjoyed Crysis 2 a game that most will probably define as generic but I thought it was ok and the MP had some identity plus visually nice for a 3rd party game on console.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
I owe the original Crysis for making me fall in love with first-person shooters. Haven't looked back since.

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Depends on which game you're referencing. Crysis 1 has Far Cry's sandbox design without all the filler. Has combat abilities (invisibility, armor, super strength, etc.) and weapon mods. Crysis 2 is incredibly linear with a heavier focus on setpieces a la Call of Duty. Crysis 3 is like a weird mixture of both.

2. Crysis 1 is special because of being notoriously difficult to run at the time of release. It is also a very gorgeous game that improved on Crytek's game design introduced in the OG Far Cry.

3. I'm sure Crysis 1 and its expansion hold up well today. The sequels are fairly formulaic but nothing about it is necessarily dated except for the linear structure (although Crysis 3 expanded the maps somewhat). Also, the story sucks and is super "HOORAH" military BS.

4. Depends on what is improved. Aside from performance (Crysis 2 and 3 ran like dogshit on X360 and PS3), I really think Crysis 1 is the only one worth trying. That's my opinion at least.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Very interesting! I hope they sell Crysis 1 separately then.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
HMM love me some Crysis, a trilogy with a properly CPU threaded Crysis 1 would be sweet. The real news behind this is that EA has definitely changed it's " No Remaster" stance from years ago thus opening the doors for the imminent, inevitable Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster this holiday.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I agree, I think they get too hard a time. They lacked a bit of the freedom of play of C1 but I really enjoyed the urban environments. I actually much preferred them to the original in the end.

It comes with the territory. Urban environments are far more expensive to make and hammer the hardware more significantly, so you cannot really have the same fidelity nor freedom when going from mostly landscape levels to mostly urban levels. :)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I find these games incredibly overrated. Crytek for me is...amazing graphics, very average gameplay though. Ryse wasn't anything too special either.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Remastered Crysis was released for Xbox 360 and PS3 a few years back. Not a full remaster, just an engine polish to get it running on those platforms but you know. I'd like for it to be something new rather than another revisit.
Crysis 1 on PC still runs like shit on modern CPUs (or at least a lot worse than it should). Fans have been clamoring to at least see that engine polish come back to the PC version.

1). Nothing really. The closest thing I can think of is maybe Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes (and some parts of Phantom Pain) with the sandbox level design and mission structure. It's not open-world but rather a linear chain of mini sandboxes with nonlinear mission design. You have powers you can use to mess with the enemy AI and game physics.

2 &3). In 2007 it was the absolute leader of the pack in video game graphics and was notoriously hard to run. The 2007 game probably could've passed for a 2013 PS4 launch game. At the same time, it was the most ambitious shooter in terms of its combination of sandbox gameplay and physics interactions, and most shooters made since have only regressed in those aspects.

4). 1 and its expansion pack "Warhead" are way better than 2 and 3. 2 and 3 aren't bad on their own, but they're much more like conventional and less ambitious AAA shooters. Crysis 2 in terms of design style actually feels closer to a Halo game -- its areas are still sandboxes but are far smaller with fewer options. Crysis 3 tried to blow the size of those sandboxes back up to something resembling Crysis 1 but wasn't all that successful. Graphics-wise though both games still looked incredible on PC. They might even still hold up to modern graphics, especially Crysis 3.