• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
lmao at "The ball spun! That's gotta be a guess that system, the ball spun!"

Mate no it didn't, look at the fucking replay. Unless the ball can spin 45 degrees in mid air two feet after it's already bounced in which case Lyon should bowl it more often and breeze past Murali in the all time wickets chart.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff from England to be honest. They are actually going for the win.

I think Warner's spot is actually in trouble. If he continues like this for another test I can see the calls to drop him. He is hurting the side in both batting and fielding now.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I said before in this thread that England found their Mitchell Johnson in Archer. Good lord that bouncer is lethal.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Archer doubters sure are looking like fucking clowns right about now.

Were there any hardcore doubters? I confess I didn't think he would be able to still be at the same intensity on his 78th spell and might take a while to bed in, but that was the extent of my skepticism. He's been unreal

Labuschane is certainly being a like for like replacement at the moment 😬

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see Warner is not alone in catching, wow.

Commentators keep saying Australia is trying to just survive, which I guess is the smart thing, but they really seem to be going for it to me.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Roy vs Warner who is the worst opener this series, the race is on.

Good for Marnus Labuachage and Travis Head to go through this. The elder ones failed but a good opportunity for the youngsters to learn some proper test match batting of being defensive and valuing your wicket.

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They might as well not check close catches like that. The soft signal is always out and they always give it.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, that's not a catch.

It would take an umpire so bad, like Wilson from the last test to give that. Oh wait...
That catch is pure crap. He did not catch that. I'm out of this now. I'm done watching.
They might as well not check close catches like that. The soft signal is always out and they always give it.

TV slow mo replays on low catches always look like they bounced even if they are taken a couple of inches off the ground.

That's why they have the soft signal, the umpire on the field has a more reliable view for those so the TV replay needs to be blatantly clear that it wasn't taken cleanly to overturn the onfield signal.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good draw this. Both sides will probably be happy, though Australia maybe a bit more since the onus is on England to win the series and now they're down to 3 chances left to win 2.

Great two thrillers we've had this Ashes so far.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Great game, a real shame we were robbed of a result by the weather. Arguably England may have had a chance of winning if they'd be bowled out 40-50 runs earlier, as would have Australia. Labuschange looks a real talent, hard to judge when someone scores runs in division 2 (a lot of dross bowling).

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
In the midst of all of this, Sri Lanka beat NZ at home in Game 1 of their series. 4th inning ton by the Lankan Captain. Great start. Wonder if Sri Lanka can make it 2 series wins in a row.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to prepare a quick pitch to help Archer then I can see Australia putting in Starc.

I don't know what bowling lineup they go with since they have a lot of choices.

It'll be harsh not to give Pattinson a go though since he was specifically rested at Lord's so he can play in the third test.

Cummins is our best bowler but also you don't want to overwork the man. I would want to give him a rest but this third test is too important to not have him.

Who knows!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly the right decision. The Cricket Australia head injury recovery protocols were out of step with the ICC, the ECB and most other sports who all insist on a prolonged period of rest. Had they sent him back out again, it would have been dangerous for the player and litigation waiting to happen. It's a shame because he has been brilliant, completely redeemed himself and cemented his reputation as the best in the world. Good for England of course, though Marnus looked ok too.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd rather see him safe and healthy than play with lingering concussion.

Obviously good for England in terms of winning the game, but bad for the competition that the best batsman can't play.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I like cricket, but bowling in an attempt to injure a batsman is awful.

The days of a bouncer are numbered.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

They'd have to change the LBW law then to make it easier to get LBW's. The whole point of a bouncer is so that a batter can't just continually bat of his crease. A bouncer forces the batter back into the crease to fast bowling. Hell if you bat out of your crease enough, you make it next to impossible for an umpire, even with DRS, to give you out. DRS is invalid if you are struck more than 2.5m away from the stumps.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's been part of cricket forever. Amazing that this has been going for well over a hundred years with fast bowlers respected and lauded and England play a genuine aggressive fast bowler just once and everyone is out to change rules.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's been part of cricket forever. Amazing that this has been going for well over a hundred years with fast bowlers respected and lauded and England play a genuine aggressive fast bowler just once and everyone is out to change rules.

I think the issue has been magnified by the fact it's Smith (i.e the best test batsman) who's been hit. But if you look into it, Smith played one ball a bit poorly (the one which hit him on the arm) got hurt (due to no arm guard) then basically had a spell where it looked like he hadn't seen short bowling before and ducked into a bouncer which which well outside of off, presumably because he wanted to keep his injured arm out of the way.

Archer is consistently quick and has a decent surprised bouncer, but on the final day he was averaging around 87-88 that's pretty average fast bowling pace and frankly that's when he hit most players.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

They don't bowl bouncers to injure a batsman.

It is purely for intimidation and that it works and gets wickets.

Smith and Archer are on the same IPL team too. They're all buds outside of the competitive pantomime that is the Ashes. None of them want to see another hurt.

I think cricket would be a lot less interesting without bouncers. What we can do though is keep finding ways to improve safety gear.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Got tickets for Day 5 because why the hell not... Just gotta hope one of the days gets a bit damp! Bit gutted I won't get to see one of the finest batsmen in the game, but at the same time I'm glad we might be there to see the series levelled up!

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another issue they were talking about with Smith is he doesn't feel comfortable wearing those new neck guards--which is fair enough because it can be tough to get used to new gear--but it did seem to be where it hit him (just under the ear). Even if you outlaw bouncers, they'd still happen occasionally by accident and you should wear the safety gear or you're taking the risk.

In any case, it's a real shame and will hurt Autralia's chances but I'm glad they're prioritising his health over the match. Thankfully, his replacement found form right away, so that's something.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
They don't bowl bouncers to injure a batsman.

It is purely for intimidation and that it works and gets wickets.

Smith and Archer are on the same IPL team too. They're all buds outside of the competitive pantomime that is the Ashes. None of them want to see another hurt.

I think cricket would be a lot less interesting without bouncers. What we can do though is keep finding ways to improve safety gear.

No, they dont bowl to "injure" a batsman, just send a cricket ball at his head at nearly 100mph.

If it hits them, thats just a serendipitous "accident".

Smith could have been killed, even with a helmet on.

The argument that cricket has always been this way, doesnt take into account recent data on head injuries in sport and concussion. Its not clear that concussions are very dangerous, and never more so that when you have just received one.

Australia sending smith back out to bat was utterly horrifying. They risked the players life to help save a draw at a game of cricket. Astonishing.

The attitude towards concussions in sport has changed, but only on paper.

Vertonghen in the Football Champions League against Ajax was clearly concussed, but all the coaches, match officials, medical staff and players said nothing and he was allowed to play on after coming round.... Until it was clear that he was still out of it. He struggled off and vomited on the pitch.

To cover themselves, the medical staff and the team say he had no concussion. Just like the Australian cricket board have.