• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Their boss is bigger, but they can change to any size they want to be, but rarely smaller than a mountain because they don't fuck with lower life forms

And on those rare occasions that they do:

tumblr_oh947kK9q21rvm5qqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh947kK9q21rvm5qqo2_1280.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the Celestials.

But man, I really dislike these designs. A far cry from Jack Kirby's design in my opinion. They really had it going with Eson the Searcher in Guardians of the Galaxy, but these just look overdesigned, and yeah I really get Bayformers vibes. I will need a much better look at them to fully judge them though, and to see them in the final product of course.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Freaking cool, even through yeah they seem pretty bayformer like compare to the one shown in guardians.

I should read the original run by jack Kirby.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about the Celestials or Eternals, but this all looks so cool.

Recommended reading to get caught up?

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were pushing it with the crazy cosmic stuff when they had the Celestials as background color in GotG1. But, no, they're going full Kirby and somehow everyone in the world wants to run to the theaters to see it.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Can someone give us a proper introduction to these beings?? What is their history? Who are their enemies? How many of them are there?

Is Galactus a Celestial? Did these guys make Galactus?

In terms of your extra-dimensional and cosmic beings in Marvel, there's a loose hierarchy of power.

The Eternals / Deviants - the "super-powered" offshoots of different races created by the Celestials.
Gods of the Mortal Realms - your Ares, Thor, etc. Also, many alien races have their own gods.
Heralds of Galactus - Silver Surfer, Terrax the Tamer, Nova (not the buckethead).
Skyfathers - aka the heads of the Mortal pantheons - Zeus, Odin, etc.
Elders of the Universe - cosmic beings who have transcended mortality - the Collector, the Grandmaster, the Stranger.
Greater Demons and Devils - Mephisto, Dormammu, Nightmare, Shuma-Gorath, in their own realms they are omnipotent and absolute
Elder Gods - Gaia, Chthon, Set, Atum, they're like uber-gods.
The Celestials - on the level of cosmic gods, they reshape entire worlds at will.
Galactus - a survivor from a previous universe and filled with terrible purpose, Galactus is borderline abstract level and is wholly unique.
The Abstracts - Fundamental concepts of reality given form. Master order and lord chaos, Love and Hate, Infinity, Eternity, Death, and Oblivion.
The Living Tribunal - the entity charged with judging the balance of all realities.
The Beyonders - unfathomable entities that live outside existence itself (the Secret War guy was a scrub).
The One Above All - Jack Kirby.

Keep in mind power levels fluctuate depending on writers, storylines, etc. Slayven feel free to check my math.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm more excited about the celestial then I am the Eternals. Hard to believe this all started from Iron Man 1. We thought GOTG was gonna be weird.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of your extra-dimensional and cosmic beings in Marvel, there's a loose hierarchy of power.

The Eternals / Deviants - the "super-powered" offshoots of different races created by the Celestials.
Gods of the Mortal Realms - your Ares, Thor, etc. Also, many alien races have their own gods.
Heralds of Galactus - Silver Surfer, Terrax the Tamer, Nova (not the buckethead).
Elders of the Universe - cosmic beings who have transcended mortality - the Collector, the Grandmaster, the Stranger.
Greater Demons and Devils - Mephisto, Dormammu, Nightmare, Shuma-Gorath, in their own realms they are omnipotent and absolute
The Celestials - on the level of cosmic gods, they reshape entire worlds at will.
Galactus - a survivor from a previous universe and filled with terrible purpose, Galactus is borderline abstract level and is wholly unique.
The Abstracts - Fundamental concepts of reality given form. Master order and lord chaos, Love and Hate, Infinity, Eternity, Death, and Oblivion.
The Living Tribunal - the entity charged with judging the balance of all realities.
The Beyonders - unfathomable entities that live outside existence itself (the Secret War guy was a scrub).

Keep in mind power levels fluctuate depending on writers, storylines, etc. Slayven feel free to check my math.
Nah, you got it

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
They kind of look like that destroyer thing from the first Thor film.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the art design in that poster is reflective of the aesthetics of the film. I've been wanting to see a take on that cosmos similar to that, more mysterious and ethereal.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And on those rare occasions that they do:

tumblr_oh947kK9q21rvm5qqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oh947kK9q21rvm5qqo2_1280.jpg
Let this be the introduction of Machine Man to the MCU :v

So we'll see Monica on WandaVision, maybe Elsa on Blade, Aaron with Celestial, The Captain in a flashback in Falcon and WS series. Tabby will be introduced in the nextwave film, just with the concept of mutants. And presto! here's your Endgame for phase 4 Feige, a bloody nextwave film. Yeah!

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

But man, I really dislike these designs. A far cry from Jack Kirby's design in my opinion. They really had it going with Eson the Searcher in Guardians of the Galaxy, but these just look overdesigned, and yeah I really get Bayformers vibes. I will need a much better look at them to fully judge them though, and to see them in the final product of course.
Marvu studios can do no wrong. The designs look great bruh. I believe in feigu's 5 year plan

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Absolutely incredible the goodwill Marvel has built up to know they can attempt to put this craziness out there for general audiences. All audiences want is a product they can believe in, meanwhile some people couldn't even get Batman and Superman right

Oct 25, 2017

Stop this nonesense. Everything is fine. Don't die on that hill.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Destroyer in comics was built to fight them.

It, uh....it did not go well.

The Elders of the Universe really got screwed with the transition to the big screen. Got made to look like chumps.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

I like that we're only about here on the scale of weirdness in the MCU so far:

ckGpLSo.png

There was cameos of the Celestials to an extent but this will be their proper debut.
There is a lot more weird shit to come yet.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Living Tribunal was namedropped in Dr. Strange. One of the pieces of equipment being used was the ______ of the Living Tribunal. Forgive me it's been a minute since I've seen it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I think when Marvel releases art like this prior to the movie coming out it's usually something pretty close to final.
This was the equivalent announcement art for the GOTG
guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

The most basic stuff was there but the final designs were quite different (I'd argument considerably less "gritty").