• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a damn shame, even if it truly is for the best.

I hope things turn out positive for their future projects.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017

Not to downplay the effect Covid has had on things but I'm already getting tired of companies using it as an excuse for doing things we all knew they were going to do anyway.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem is a social game where you and your friends go on quests and journeys. It's a game that we've been working on for almost four years now, and once we launch it next year I think it'll be the start of a ten-year journey for us.

-Patrick Soderlund, then EVP at EA

you could replace Anthem with Destiny lol

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
That's wild. Didn't Anthem sell pretty well despite the problems with the game?

Initial launch sales are much more impactful for a single-player game frankly, because I have to imagine a sizable amount of those buyers resold it after they were done with it (and GaaS is built on the long-tail).

EA's expectation was "we can get X% of players back, plus X% of new players" and the math wasn't looking good seemingly.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Some people expect Broward to pull "NMS" 180 turn around.

Turns out not everyone is as committed like Hello Games.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Sold well at launch but died fast. It didn't meet EA's 5M~6M target for sales in the first month and a bit and interest dropped off very fast, to the point where people were talking about a F2P relaunch not long after the game was released.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

I think the big problem with Anthem in this respect was monetization. Even assuming the game didn't critically bomb like it did, I never once was remotely interested in putting more dough into it for the extremely lackluster and limited vanity items they cycled through in their store.

The fact that EA shut this down probably tells me that although the devs might have had great ideas for how to rework the game portion of Anthem, there probably wasn't a satisfactory monetization rework in place that would justify pouring a ton of resources into a redemption story.

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who put a ton of time into Anthem, this was the right move. The game is done, it's been done for years, better to move on and stop wasting developers' time on faffing around with UI mockups that were never going to revive the game's reputation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The thing that I feel is often misunderstood in these circumstances from the takes i am seeing online is that with Anthem, the issue isnt that "they needed more time", they were working on this game for like 6 or so years to my memory.
The problem is that out of those 6 years, they didnt know what this game is even going to be for at least 4 and a half of them. Its a management and direction issue.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
they should come back to this one day and see if they can make Anthem 2...the gameplay, mechanics and graphics were solid so the framework is there for a great game...they just needed to add more content and refine some of the gameplay

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
the amount of potential this game had was outstanding. to see it flop hurts. rest in peace Living Flame/Lightning Strike Strom javelin :(

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Was there news of improvements other than the UI changes? If not then there wasn't anything to patch in since those suggested UI improvements were conceptual.
Anthem Next was announced a year ago. You're telling me in the past year they've accomplished nothing that could be patched into the game, rather than just thrown away with this announcement?

I have no stake either way, as I haven't played the game. But if behind the scenes they did accomplish something, then why not patch in some of it as a final gesture?

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I really don't see how this could have ended up differently. 30 people working on it over 2 years while all updates are pretty much suspended? This was never going to bring the results needed to materialize, it was a waste of money, time and talent and I don't know why they even tried it. A rework like this needed an all hands on deck approach, it needed money and a large team. EA/Bioware obviously (and wisely) wasn't willing to do that, but keeping 30 people around to do prototyping for 2 years is just completely illogical unless they were literally counting on a miracle. They were doomed from the start.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The thing that I feel is often misunderstood in these circumstances from the takes i am seeing online is that with Anthem, the issue isnt that "they needed more time", they were working on this game for like 6 or so years to my memory.
The problem is that out of those 6 years, they didnt know what this game is even going to be for at least 4 and a half of them. Its a management and direction issue.

This.

And the same happened with Andromeda.They had 5 years and they ended up making the game in less than 2 years.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dang I had hopes, I was supposed to grab the discounted Anthem this December to get it before the big update which I thought might limit big discounts after, I guess I'm glad I didn't.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
For the best. They have a real chance to redeem their image with DA4 and the next Mass Effect, and they should have every available developer helping.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
For someone who just started this(10-12 hours), what's so bad about it? Love the mechanics but is it that there is little content? Will I just be fighting the same few enemies over in over what looks like the same landscape?
Where did they go wrong that I'll be seeing as I play on?

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the developmemt of DA4 and next Mass Effect will go well. It's been a long long time since BioWare had a development cycle without issues.

Remember when it was revealed that this game was codenamed "Dylan" because it was going to be the Bob Dylan of video games?

In the end it just ended up being Anthem of Video Games.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Feel bad for the team working on it.

But...happy that more people will be working on Dragon Age.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game like two and a half years ago for like $10 dollars. Now that I'm out of PS Plus I'm not sure what to do with it, haha.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For someone who just started this(10-12 hours), what's so bad about it? Love the mechanics but is it that there is little content? Will I just be fighting the same few enemies over in over what looks like the same landscape?
You saw the entirety of the game by the second hour.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I really don't see how this could have ended up differently. 30 people working on it over 2 years while all updates are pretty much suspended? This was never going to bring the results needed to materialize, it was a waste of money, time and talent and I don't know why they even tried it. A rework like this needed an all hands on deck approach, it needed money and a large team. EA/Bioware obviously (and wisely) wasn't willing to do that, but keeping 30 people around to do prototyping for 2 years is just completely illogical unless they were literally counting on a miracle. They were doomed from the start.
Yep. Covid or no Covid this wasn't going to be quick and easy.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
People in the /r/AnthemTheGame are so fucking pissed right now. Can't blame them, there were a lot of people who really believed the game could bounce back.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

It fails more as a GaaS game than a single-player game, to be honest. It's an okay game just playing for the story, it's really the gear progression and endgame and social hub aspects that hurt it the most.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's really a shame that Bioware is (probably) now on their last legs. If DA4 and ME4 both flop, EA might close the studio.
If DA4 flops like actually flops ME4(like if DA4 is a 75 game but sells beyond expectations that's not going to count as a failure to me) isn't even going to happen. I can't imagine EA giving that much leash to Bioware like if DA4 flops Bioware just gonna try to announce another years away project at the TGA again while ME4 is the next chance? Unlikely to me.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not to downplay the effect Covid has had on things but I'm already getting tired of companies using it as an excuse for doing things we all knew they were going to do anyway.

You are downplaying it though. Doesn't matter if you thought they were going to do it. That doesn't mean that COVID didn't fuck up their plans. Some of y'all are seriously underestimating how much this has impacted game development.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Anthem Next was announced a year ago. You're telling me in the past year they've accomplished nothing that could be patched into the game, rather than just thrown away with this announcement?
As far as I'm aware, there's been nothing shown, described, or hinted at, other than UI mock-ups. That's why I asked if you were aware of any other news.

I think that what most likely happened was that a moderately-sized team sat down and started rethinking and redesigning core game systems, while small groups of them were tasked with UI reworks and similar changes, to be slotted into the rethought core systems when they were ready. If that's the case, then there's nothing to patch into Anthem as it stands. The earlier report that EA were going to be reviewing progress on Anthem Next also stated that they were at the point where the Anthem Next team would need to expand in order to make further progress - that suggests to me that the expansion, if it got the go-ahead, would have marked the real beginning of tangible development work on Anthem Next.

So that's all speculation, and I'm not telling you that's what happened, but if it did, then yeah, that'd mean they accomplished nothing that could be patched into the game.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The world and IP has promise, hopefully it can be resurrected one day (not this game but a sequel/refresh)

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
What do they mean by " We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today." ?
Simply keep the servers on ?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
*sigh*
The absolute waste of potential.
The thing I really couldn't stand about Anthem is that you could see a far, far better game there.