• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favourite Shonen Rival

• Vegeta

Votes: 325 50.2%
  • Kaiba

Votes: 152 23.5%
  • Sasuke

Votes: 37 5.7%
  • Hiei

Votes: 85 13.1%
  • Bakugo

Votes: 49 7.6%

• Total voters

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Kaiba has more votes than I thought to be honest. I voted for him but damn, didn't think he would be that popular.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Vegeta is a perennial jobber lol. I'd hardly call him a rival since Goku is always ahead of him.

Voted Sasuke.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaiba is absolutely my favorite character in fiction. This is a no brainer. Edit: and to be perfectly clear, I'm talking about dub Kaiba. If he's not dubbed he's not worth my time

Last edited:

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Almost voted for Kaiba, but went with Vegeta. Seto Kaiba probably has the biggest ego out of all of them though. He's such an arrogant buttwipe lol. Sasuke was "ok" up until the rivalry and revenge between his brother concluded, then he transformed into such a messy, toxic and problematic character the longer the series went on. Bakugo was a terrible character from the start and has zero redeeming qualities to me.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Vegeta even a rival to Goku? Feels like he's a sidekick more than a rival for the most part.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hiei's like Vegeta. Except he's not a loser. And I'm quite fond of Vegeta, but like....win-loss records, there's no comparison.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Kaiba fucking jammed a gun with a playing card, and looked smug as hell while doing it.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kaiba, dub and TAS equally.
"Screw the rules, I have votes."

(no idea who Hiei or Bakugo are)

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
My avatar betrays me, but it's Vegeta. Ryo Horikawa put in the performance of a lifetime and brought the character to life.

...Hiei is a close second, though.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Hiei really this slept on. It's a damn shame

Hiei's a cool dude but he has like zero interest in being a rival.

When he joins the Detective Team he very briefly mentions a rematch with Yusuke and then never shows interest in it again, even when they're in the longest and most literal tournament arc in shonen anime.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Hiei is my favourite character out of these but I wouldn't quality him as Yuusuke's rival

Vegeta is by far the best on the list (haven't watched yu gi oh though)

Bakugo sucks

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely gotta give it to Vegeta and Hiei.

Vegeta is kinda sad though when you look at his win/loss record. Not much of a rival when he's there to fail so Goku can make the task look easy.
Hiei had nice character development, but only really battled Yusuke twice, the second time just being to get Yusuke to think clearly during the Sensui arc stuff.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for Vegeta if this is purely a fav character thing. But how is Vegeta even a Rival. 99% of the time he is trying to play catch up to Goku.
He is more or less become a "Best Friend" character than a Rival.

Sasuke is the best Rival in that list. He actually challenges the main character in the terms of power throughout the entire series.

Oct 17, 2018
So I've never watched YYH so can't comment on that, but honestly I feel like the only 2 on that list that are actual rivals are Bakugo and Sasuke. Yugi never really gives a fuck about Kaiba, and Goku never gets stronger because of Vegeta, more like Vegeta chasing after Goku.

Still picked Vegeta tho

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with Sasuke.
I like geets but most of the time he's used as a prop to show how strong Goku is.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Voted Bakugo and I'm not even ashamed. All others are jobbers or plain villainous assholes.
Except maybe for Hiei but it's years since I read YYH, I should try it again sometimes. I never thought of him as a rival though.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Kaiba hacked into the afterlife because Atem tried to end their rivalry by dying and Kaiba responded by going NAH SON RUN IT BACK WE AIN'T DONE YET

Look I respect this man's spite. His spite drove him to invent so, so many technologies.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through this thread has changed my answer. Vegeta and Kaiba are probably the best chars there, but Sasuke and Bakugo are legit rivals to the hero.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I would have voted for Sasuke if Naruto wasn't a big Sasuke masturbatory fest.
So my vote goes to Vegeta, the classic choice.

Lol @ people voting for Bakugo.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Hiei is the best character here but he gave up on the whole rivalry thing like a third of the way through the series.

Vegeta is by far the most iconic.

Kaiba is hilarious.

Bakugo sucks.

Sasuke sucks more.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Bakugo out of that list but personally I think my favourite would be Krillin. That's a friendly rivalry though so I don't know if it counts.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kaiba is ludicrously petty and vindictive over a children's trading card game. For some that's a mark against him, but I think it's what sets him apart. Not the pettiness itself, but the sheer scale of said pettiness relative to the subject matter.

He legitimately sounds like he's been cheated on.

Last edited:

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Really dislike all of them. I like the idea of having a rival very much, but the execution mostly ends up being god damn edgy somehow.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kaiba hacked into the afterlife because Atem tried to end their rivalry by dying and Kaiba responded by going NAH SON RUN IT BACK WE AIN'T DONE YET

Look I respect this man's spite. His spite drove him to invent so, so many technologies.

This is it. Kaiba is the best rival because he takes the absurd premise of the series to heart, runs with it all the damn way, and then somehow breaks all logic even in this world through sheer unstoppable spite.

Guy straight ends up going to the afterlife in order to play a childrens card game against his rival because he simply wouldn't drop it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaiba is ludicrously petty and vindictive over a children's trading card game. For some that's a mark against him, but I think it's what sets him apart. Not the pettiness, but the sheer scale of said pettiness relative to the subject matter.

He legitimately sounds like he's been cheated on.

Exactly. Kaiba could have picked anything to focus his tremendous talent (and beyond tremendous wallet) on. And he picked a fucking trading card game. And then he used that talent and that wallet to the fullest extent, creating a society that, even generations later, completely revolves around that TCG.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this poll just makes me realize how much I tend to dislike this sort of trope because the rival character is always some angsty asshole. The only character there I actually like is Hiei but I don't consider him a rival to Yusuke. Vegeta has a good arc, but I don't put him on equal footing as Goku so he's not really a rival either because he's not the one pushing Goku to get stronger really.

Sasuke and Bakugo are just complete garbage characters.

Kaiba is entertaining but I also never really cared for Yugioh in general so I don't have much to say about him.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's Kaiba, he's so effortlessly over the top. His complete lack of self awareness is what puts him above Vegeta.

Dude used his money to build a whole theme park with the sole intention of murdering Yugi and his friends.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

Dude invented hyper-realistic holograms just so Yugi's grandpa would have an old man panic attack when he beat him at a card game.

Fookin legend.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I chose Bakugo because he's one of only two on the list who isn't an attempted/successful murderer and he isn't as manipulative as the others. He's angry and violent, but I actually like him as a character, and he has grown, and truly wants to be a great hero with all his heart.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude invented hyper-realistic holograms just so Yugi's grandpa would have an old man panic attack when he beat him at a card game.

Fookin legend.

One of my all time favorite Kaiba moments is from the movie, when Kaiba fools thousands of people in a massive stadium that a bunch of jets are crashing into it, burning everything up. The people shit their pants trying to escape and he just walks out of the flames laughing, revealing it's all just his new state of the art hologram tech.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Kaiba invented SAO.
Remember when Kaiba built a blue eyes jet and blew up an island.
Remember when Kaiba fucked himself over making rules that hurt him more than anyone else.
Remember when Kaiba lauunched a satellite to teach aliens how to play card games.

Kaiba was so extra.