• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the Switch's successful new IPs will get playable representation by the next Smash game?

• ARMS

Votes: 130 39.3%
  • Astral Chain

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • Ring Fit Adventure

Votes: 172 52.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 49 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
BdKYVDK.jpg
eyecatch_ac2_en.jpg
share-fb.jpg

Outside of 1-2 Switch (which, while successful, doesn't really lend itself towards a potential character in Smash), the Switch has brought us 3 successful new IPs as of when this thread was made (poor Sushi Striker).
  • ARMS, Nintendo EPD's new 3D arena fighting game IP which came out within the first few months of the Switch and sold well over 2 million units (& only missed out on getting a playable character in Ultimate due to poor timing).
  • Astral Chain, Nintendo & PlatinumGames' recent collaboration that has gone on to sell over a million copies with a critical acclaim to match.
  • Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendo EPD's unique new take on fitness games that has sold well over 2 million copies in a matter of months with no sign of slowing down.
But unfortunately, Smash's history of waiting it out regarding new IPs already doomed the former two to assist trophies & post-launch spirits respectively, which in turn isn't giving a super-positive outlook on the odds of RFA (as much as I want Ring Fit Adventurer in Ultimate). So assuming that the same rings true for Ring Fit Adventure (no pun intended) as we enter Ultimate's final season of DLC, how do you feel about the prospects of these 3 IPs going into the Smash game after Ultimate?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It just depends on where all these IPs are by the next game. If they have sequels that are successful enough, then they'll probably get in.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Ring Fit seems like it really resonates with people and there's a lot of space to create a unique character. I'd go as far to call it a shoo-in tbh

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Definitely Ring Fit. ARMS seems to be dead for the time being, and I don't see how Astral Chain would fit.
I mean, EPD franchises have gotten sequels from less (just ask Pikmin). And ARMS did end up selling to their expectations. Plus it gives Yabuki's team something to do between Mario Kart games.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
An Arms rep would be awesome and quite possibly breathe some life into the game just like it did with Three Houses, but at this point it's pretty unlikely they'll spend a DLC slot on it. In case there are plans for the franchise, I could see it making its way into Smash down the road however.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
An Arms rep would be awesome and quite possibly breathe some life into the game just like it did with Three Houses, but at this point it's pretty unlikely they'll spend a DLC slot on it. In case there are plans for the franchise, I could see Arms making its way into Smash down the road however.
This thread also includes the next Smash game, as Smash has a history of waiting it out regarding new IPs.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
RFA avatar could be a Wii Fit Trainer echo in the next year.
Ring Fit Adventurer has enough to make her a separate unique character. If anything, making her a Wii Fit Trainer echo would be a disservice to the Adventurer herself (or themself, given that there'd be a male alt) & Ring Fit Adventure as a game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it'll be Ring Fit Adventurer or something. Even though Dragaux would be much better for a lot of reasons.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
This thread also includes the next Smash game, as Smash has a history of waiting it out regarding new IPs.

Only if Nintendo has plans for more games. Right now, Arms has ground to a halt and there's literally nothing going on. If it gets a sequel, then a rep is on the table.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit Adventure will sell for the entire generation and remain a game new people keep getting introduced to, so that seems to be the easy guess.

ARMS and Astral Chain are entirely dependent on sequels that keep up interest in the IPs since their legs aren't going to be as good. They will both be pretty old games if the next Smash isn't until 2024 or 2025.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think Astral Chain is most likely, but that is completely dependent on Platinum being down for a sequel.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the future of these series, I think. Of those three, I think RFA may have the best shot. At this point I don't expect Arms to get a sequel or a character in Smash (sorry Ribbon Girl). And as cool as Astral Chain is, I don't see that happening either (I'd love a sequel though, that game was nuts)

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect ARMS to get representation. It's not the biggest IP, but it lends itself to new interesting gameplay for Smash, is already a fighting game, and its inclusion in Smash could help push a sequel to the game should Nintendo want to build the brand.

Ring Fit's also a no brainer imo. It's a huge unexpected hit and the trailer with RFA guy/girl competing with Wii Fit trainer to see who is the most fit practically writes itself. At the very least they'll be echo fighters.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I don't necessarily think it's the most likely, but ARMS makes the most sense. A Nintendo fighting game should have playable representation in a Nintendo crossover fighting game!

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Arms time is gone, Ring Fit is certain to me, maybe astral chain depending if the sequel exists by then

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Platinum indicate they would be down to make a sequel to Astral Chain?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we need Ring Fit Adventurer when we have Wii Fit Trainer.

They need Dragaux instead.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think Arms and Ring Fit will get fighters. Astral Chain will maybe get an assist trophy. Not unless it becomes a full-fledged franchise by the next Smash Bros.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think Arms and Ring Fit will get fighters. Astral Chain will maybe get an assist trophy. Not unless it becomes a full-fledged franchise by the next Smash Bros.
I want all 3, but I think this is more likely. ARMS & RFA will likely get preferential treatment due to EPD bias.

Arms time is gone, Ring Fit is certain to me, maybe astral chain depending if the sequel exists by then
I mean, EPD franchises have gotten sequels from less (just ask Pikmin). And ARMS did end up selling to their expectations. Plus it gives Yabuki's team something to do between Mario Kart games.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Would rather have Ring Fit as a character rather than the dragon dude. Cause she would be the closest smash will ever get to having a woman of color in the roster. As the primary character

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I want a Ring Fit Adventure character, but I expect none. Too many potential Fire Emblem games between now and the next Smash.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want a Ring Fit Adventure character, but I expect none. Too many potential Fire Emblem games between now and the next Smash.
The next mainline FE game isn't until at least 2022. Even in the base roster of Ultimate, all we got was Chrom (a fan-requested echo). They could have included Celica as a Robin echo (which they honestly should have), but didn't.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I think Astral Chain is most likely, but that is completely dependent on Platinum being down for a sequel.

Yeah, if Astral Chain receives a sequel between now and the next Smash, then I think it's a shoo-in. I just have no clue if that will happen or not, and if it doesn't happen, the IP will probably be largely forgotten by the time Ultimate's successor materializes in, what, three to six years?

Ditto to ARMS, which, while somewhat successful, might not be seen as a worthy use of the time of one of Nintendo's internal teams vs. working on an IP that's seen as a surefire success or experimenting with a completely new IP. I could easily see ARMS entering F-Zero territory, where there's a loyal but not huge fanbase waiting for a sequel that never materializes.

Ring Fit, on the other hand, seems destined to get a sequel, given that it's probably Nintendo's most successful "blue ocean" title since the Wii era. And I have a feeling a character from the series will show up in Smash eventually, given that we have Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think Ring Fit would be a good 'upgrade' to Wii Fit Trainer at least as an alternate costume. I think its very low chance they don't appear in the next Smash.

If ARMS gets a sequel someone from the series should get a nod.

After which I want to see what Astral Chains character will do with its chain/legion combo

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, if Astral Chain receives a sequel between now and the next Smash, then I think it's a shoo-in. I just have no clue if that will happen or not, and if it doesn't happen, the IP will probably be largely forgotten by the time Ultimate's successor materializes in, what, three to six years?

Ditto to ARMS, which, while somewhat successful, might not be seen as a worthy use of the time of one of Nintendo's internal teams vs. working on an IP that's seen as a surefire success or experimenting with a completely new IP. I could easily see ARMS entering F-Zero territory, where there's a loyal but not huge fanbase waiting for a sequel that never materializes.

Ring Fit, on the other hand, seems destined to get a sequel, given that it's probably Nintendo's most successful "blue ocean" title since the Wii era. And I have a feeling a character from the series will show up in Smash eventually, given that we have Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters.
You could say the same for Pikmin, but it got multiple sequels & a spin-off despite selling half of what ARMS did on its first go. And new fighting game IPs don't typically sell a ton, especially fighting games as unorthodox as ARMS. It already met Nintendo's expectations in terms of sales, so I'd imagine that it'll get another go on the next Nintendo system. It also helps that Yabuki's team only really does Mario Kart games, so ARMS gives the team something else to do between Mario Kart games.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Arms is the more obvious contender, so I voted for that. And Ring Fit adventure as well, because why the hell not? We have the Wii Fit girl.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think all 3 have a decent chance. I think Astral Chain and Arms probably depend on sequels, but I think both are good candidates to receive sequels. Ring Fit character seems like a great option to replace Wii Fit Trainer going forward, and I think she's the most likely character to make it in.