• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who had the best trilogy?

• Iron Man

Votes: 118 7.9%
  • Captain America

Votes: 1,286 86.4%
  • Thor

Votes: 73 4.9%
  • Hulk?

Votes: 11 0.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'll stan for Stark.

I just didn't vibe with the Cap movies. Civil War was fun because it was an Avengers movie, but the first two weren't my thing. All three Iron Men were a lot of fun, though. I loved Hammer and out-of-control depressed Tony in 2, I loved the Mandarin twist, the kid and the Home Depot suit in 3.

It's an unpopular opinion, but it's mine. @me if you must.

Iron Man 2 is a decent and fun flick, it's just the palladium poisoning subplot that sucks it up and almost brings the rest of the movie down

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Cap. Two of the best films in the franchise and a solid first outing. Not even close.

Iron Man 2 is a decent and fun flick, it's just the palladium poisoning subplot that sucks it up and almost brings the rest of the movie down

IM2 is solid until after the racetrack fight. Then it gets lost under the palladium and clumsy worldbuilding. Whiplash is a super weak villain even by MCU standards, too. Should have focused more on Hammer.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue that, between Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor, there's only one good movie, and it's a pretty good one, won't lie, whereas all of Captain America's movies are at least decent

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
No Thor the Dark World is not simply a good film, it's a movie we can never forget about.

I don't know.. I didn't have much difficult forgetting about it. Honestly, the only reason I even remotely remember parts of Dark World are because of End game. I don't even remember anything about the first movie (except throw hanging up his hammer on a coat rack or something? I don't really remember!)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Captain America wins by default just because of The Winter Soldier. Helps that Civil War was pretty good too (it was totally an Avengers film).

The only truly good Thor film was Ragnarok.

Iron Man movies are pure garbage, specially the 3rd one.

People keep saying that, but it's the only one I ever feel like I would watch again of the three.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going Cap as well. The first is good, the second is the best MCU movie, the third is basically a better Avengers 2.

Ironman 1 was great and got me hooked, Ironman 2 had Sam Rockwell, the third is worse than Thor 2.

Thor 1 actually got me somewhat interested in Thor, Thor 2 made me not like Thor again, Ragnarok was awesome, but I'm gonna go ahead and say if we're out here saying Cap 3 is an Avengers movie then Ragnarok is a Hulk movie.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I think people oversell Ragnarok even if it was a good movie. The plot of Ragnarok itself took a backseat to wacky trash planet hijinx, which I did enjoy, but I came to see Hela be intimidating and learn more about Asgard and I felt underwhelmed by that part of the movie. Heard Waititi wasn't too invested in Hela's story, and it kinda shows if true. People also undersell the first Thor. Anyway.

Cap > Thor >>>> Iron Man

Loved all three Cap movies.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
IM1: A
IM2: F
IM3: B

CAP1: B
CAP2: S+
CAP3: S-

THOR1: B-
THOR2: C
THOR3: S+

WINNER - CAPTAIN AMERICA

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Poll results are correct. The least good Captain American movie (and I have no clue which one that would be, frankly) is at least as good as the best movie from the other three.

This is particularly weird to me as an anti-imperialistic, anti-nationalistic European whose reaction to Captain America as a concept was mostly rolling my eyes.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Captain America for me - The last two movies especially are fueled by some legitimately great character drama full of memorable moments.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Captain America is for sure objectively the better trilogy, but Thor has become my personal favorite of the three so gdi it's getting my vote.

Oddly enough, originally I thought the first two Thor movies were super crap and would have definitely scored it at the bottom, but with each MCU rewatch I've come to appreciate them more and more, and now they've somehow gone and wormed their way into my being my favs. Conversely, Iron Man trilogy used to be my top but 2 & 3 just seem to get worse and worse with each viewing, to the point that it's pulled the whole trilogy down (1 still solid af, tho). Funny how that works sometimes.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cap's worst movie is almost as good as Iron Man or Thor's best movie. Let that sink in. Its Cap by a country mile.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poll results are correct. The least good Captain American movie (and I have no clue which one that would be, frankly) is at least as good as the best movie from the other three.

This is particularly weird to me as an anti-imperialistic, anti-nationalistic European whose reaction to Captain America as a concept was mostly rolling my eyes.

Captain America is, honestly, patriotism in its only acceptable form - not the belief in the greatness of your country, but belief in its potential for greatness. Steve doesn't run around telling people that America is the best country ever and he doesn't appear to believe it is, either, and I think even he accepts that he exemplifies an America that doesn't exist... but that doesn't mean it can't, right?

That's probably why he's fine to us non-Americans, because if he represented what America was instead of what it could be then he'd be a supervillain.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cap by a long shot. The first Iron Man film was OK imo, did a decent job of establishing the character and I do really like Iron Man, but he excels in Avengers/Civil War not his own stuff.

Thors first two films I find really hard to watch. I just jave zero interest in this type of Thor and if it wasn't for Loki I doubt I'd ever watch them again. Nailed it on round 3 thankfully.

Caps first film establishes him to near perfection IMO, which was pretty crucial going into both Winter Soldier and then Civil War. That said maybe the first two films aren't as bombastic as later entries to the MCU, but their importance to everything that came after is undeniable imo. Then you have Civil War, which is a damn good film and probably the best of the bunch. I don't really think there's much contest

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Captain America had 2/3 great films wheras Iron Man and Thor had one good film each. Easy win for Captain America.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Iron Man 1 was an incredible movie with an incredible soundtrack. It was fresh, extremely well paced, and paved the way for Marvels expansion.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier was every bit as good as Iron Man 1.

Saying that, as a trilogy, Captain America all the way.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you dont count civil war for some reason, cap still has one more good movie than either iron man or thor.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Cap because none of his movies were completely awful. Thor had The Dark World which sucked, and Iron Man had... a movie which sucked. (I like Iron Man 2 but didn't like 3, but I know most people hate IM2 and opinions vary on 3.)

So yeah, it's Cap.

And none of the Hulk movies are good, in case it needed saying.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its funny how Hulk has some votes. He hasn't had his own movie well over a decade. Those gotta be troll votes lol.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Thor because of Ragnarok.

I only like the fist Captain America movie. Unpopular opinion, but I thought Winter Soldier was boring and Civil War doesn't get good until Peter Parker shows up.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
IM1: A
IM2: F
IM3: B

CAP1: B
CAP2: S+
CAP3: S-

THOR1: B-
THOR2: C
THOR3: S+

WINNER - CAPTAIN AMERICA
this feels about right, though personally I would bump IM2 up to a D just because Sam Rockwell was entertaining, and because the drone fight at the end was basically a couple minutes of a Samurai Jack episode thrown in for no reason

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The answer is of course Captain America and the fact that they pulled off what was essentially Avengers 2.5 with Civil War while still making it feel like a Captain America film was an achievement.

That being said, if Iron Man 2 hit the mark, it would be a more difficult question to answer. The original is obviously a classic and Iron Man 3 is one of the best MCU films.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Thor Ragnarok>>Winter Soldier>>Iron Man>Civil War>>Captain America The First Avenger>>Thor>Iron Man 3>>>>Iron Man 2>Thor 2. All of them had a meh entry, but First Avenger was way better than Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. Actually, First Avenger wasn't even meh. It was just pretty good.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man 1 Iron Man 3 good, Thor 1 Thor 3 good, Cap 1 Cap 2 Cap 3 good

I vote the russo bros spider man trilogy of civil war infinity war and endgame

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Ironman 3 Is by far the best standalone movie in the MCU, such a great movie.

Thor Ragnarok is great as well.

Ironman 1 kick-started the whole MCU, and maintained it while mediocre movies were popping out.

Captain America 2 is good, Civil War is better.

Thor 1 and 2, Captain 1 and Ironman 2 are barely passable.

The best trilogy is the Ironman movies.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Between Iron Man and Thor for me. Both 2s are undeniable low points of the MCU, but both of their 1 and 3s are high points. Cap 2 is also an MCU high point, but its 1 and 3 are just good middle of the road ones. (Might be a different story if Cap 1's back half was as good as its first.)

Might give the edge to Iron Man.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Real answer is Captain America.

But actually... Black Widow. Winter Soldier, Civil War and Black Widow.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Ill edge it to Cap because Civil war gave us Peter and Black Panther <3. Winter soldier is always in the discussion for the best MCU film to date. First avenger puts me to sleep.

Iron mans Trilogy is still great. Thor i can tolerate because of Loki.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Captain America by far. The first one I'll still contend is one of the better phase 1 movies, Winter Soldier is top 3 Marvel, and Civil War is up there too (and also sort of cheats by also being Avengers 3)

Iron Man has 2 good movies and one dud.

Thor really just has Ragnarok. It's a shame the character only really came into his own so late in his own trilogy, with Taika's direction from the start, Thor would probably take it.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I've got to be one if the few that thinks Civil War is not very good. I turned it off half way because I thought it was so dumb. Tony Stark in particular.

C'est la vie

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The First Captain America movie has so much it has to do. It has to introduce a character in the 1940s who essentially turns into a Propaganda piece but while showing that aspect of him do it in a fun way that doesn't make the rest of the world groan. I mean they were so worried about Captain America there was countries where they kept the name completely off the Ticket and just went with The First Avenger.

It balanced the Propaganda aspect of him as well as the stuff that makes Steve Rogers a great character and ultimately why a guy named Captain America is so well respected. It was a great mix of period piece and comic book movie.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like Civil War but I love Winter Soldier. Cap's third film should have never been an ensemble film. It happened, though, and I think it sort of set the standard for Marvel's awful formula of using each film to set up the next rather through to Endgame :|

But at the end of the day out of the existing trilogies, Cap has the strongest one because it manages to carry its themes within the confines of its own films.

But I will say Iron Man is fantastic and I have a fondness for Iron Man 3, and Iron Man 2 really sets the stage for the MCU.