• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ace Attorney 1-3, Danganronpa 1-3, Zero Escape 1-3 Which is your favorite Trilogy

• Ace Attorney 1-3 - Pheonix Trite all the way

Votes: 538 61.9%
  • Danganronpa 1-3 - School of Hope and Despair Yeah?

Votes: 126 14.5%
  • Zero Escape 1-3 - Love is powerful

Votes: 143 16.5%
  • I Love all three equally!

Votes: 26 3.0%
  • None, Infinity Trilogy - Can I be ForEVER 17?

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • I have not played any of these games.... I should play them *cat reading newspaper*

Votes: 24 2.8%

• Total voters

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Ace Attorney is consistently good
Zero Escape had two flawed but okayish games and a "what the fuck where they thinking" third one
Danganronpa is bottom tier trash in my opinion. I regret ever booting it up and listening to the person who said "its totally like ace attorney that you love trust me"

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play these some time. The Ace Attorney trilogy goes on sale for half off all the time on the Switch eshop. Should just pull the trigger.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Zero Escape is a clear third, and I didn't even hate ZTD that much.

It's tough to decide between Ace Attorney and Danganronpa. Ace Attorney is more consistently good, but Danganronpa has higher highs (amazing aesthetic, atmosphere, twists, and case 5 of DR2) and lower lows (everything else about DR2). I'd give the edge to Ace Attorney.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney is the most consistently good. Zero Escape 3 just catapulted itself into a ravine while while self-immolating and ingesting a copious amount of narcotics. Danganronpa... I couldn't get into it. The theming probably. Dislike.

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
No need to derail the thread with annoyingly pedantic corrections, or acting like you're graciously dropping the matter while still having the last word, either, but did that stop you?
I believe in the thing I said and I said it because I think the title of this thread should be changed. Other people agreed with me and other people disagreed with me, and they continued the conversation because it was interesting to them. I stopped it because it was going on too long.

You're just being an aggro jerk about it and derailing the thread even more than I was. At least my off-topic thing was about the content of the thread, what is you being mean to me about?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I believe in the thing I said and I said it because I think the title of this thread should be changed. Other people agreed with me and other people disagreed with me, and they continued the conversation because it was interesting to them. I stopped it because it was going on too long.

You're just being an aggro jerk about it and derailing the thread even more than I was. At least my off-topic thing was about the content of the thread, what is you being mean to me about?

I also believe in the thing I said, which is that you derailed the thread to make it about something only you care about.
I also think you were being a jerk about it, especially to the thread creator.
But either way, this side conversation has gone on long enough, don't want to spend too much time making things off topic, so I'll leave my input at that.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I also believe in the thing I said, which is that you derailed the thread to make it about something only you care about.
I also think you were being a jerk about it, especially to the thread creator.
But either way, this side conversation has gone on long enough, don't want to spend too much time making things off topic, so I'll leave my input at that.
I didn't derail the thread, I made a comment that the thread called these games the wrong thing and people began discussing it, and then I stopped it for being too off-topic for too long. If you actually stop responding then that's good on you, because you shouldn't have continued to go off topic just to be mean anyway. You did the same thing I did, only instead of it being about the thread's content, it was about you getting some zings in on a stranger you decided you disliked.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
You know "common sense" is just another name for hindsight bias, do you? :) From your own link:

Since the Age of Enlightenment the term "common sense" has frequently been used for rhetorical effect, sometimes pejorative, and sometimes appealed to positively, as an authority. It can be negatively equated to vulgar prejudice and superstition, it is often positively contrasted to them as a standard for good taste and as the source of the most basic axioms needed for science and logic.[8] It was at the beginning of the 18th century that this old philosophical term first acquired its modern English meaning: "Those plain, self-evident truths or conventional wisdom that one needed no sophistication to grasp and no proof to accept precisely because they accorded so well with the basic (common sense) intellectual capacities and experiences of the whole social body."[9] This began with Descartes's criticism of it, and what came to be known as the dispute between "rationalism" and "empiricism". In the opening line of one of his most famous books, Discourse on Method, Descartes established the most common modern meaning, and its controversies, when he stated that everyone has a similar and sufficient amount of common sense (bon sens), but it is rarely used well. Therefore, a skeptical logical method described by Descartes needs to be followed and common sense should not be overly relied upon.[10]

congratulations on making a philosophical mountain out of a response to a survey regarding video games. those years of education have obviously really paid off...

none of this, btw, changes the accuracy of my original observation: that the ace attorney trilogy will demolish any other visual novel trilogy when placed head to head. it continues to be as correct an assessment now as it was when i wrote it...

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Between those three, I have to go with the Ace Attorney Trilogy.

The first three Ace Attorney maintains a high level of quality, with a story that is just connected enough to still allow each game to stand on its own. Also the third game is the best of the first three in my opinion, ending the trilogy on a high note.

While I love the Zero Escape series, I feel the quality of the series drops each game (both the first and second game are great). I still haven't played much of Zero Time Dilemma.

Danganronpa is more consistent in quality, but I feel retreads to much each sequel to match up to Ace Attorney. Also, it leans harder into the more problematic of Japanese media compared to the other two series as a whole.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
AA is good stuff and i still hope for more for these characters and i never played Danganronpa despite having the first 2 games on the vita for years, i just haven't gotten around to it.
Zero Escape got me feeling and having more thoughts on the other hand, i enjoy disliking these characters because some of them aren't meant to be geniuses but obsessed maniacs like straight up bad people. It's a certain kind of story about futility i'd need to write a blog post about or something and it goes beyond the contents of these games but that's why i like it and keep thinking about it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
congratulations on making a philosophical mountain out of a response to a survey regarding video games. those years of education have obviously really paid off...

There is no mountain other than what you're making of it right now. You used circular logic to justify your argument. You don't need years of education to point that out, just "common sense".

none of this, btw, changes the accuracy of my original observation: that the ace attorney trilogy will demolish any other visual novel trilogy when placed head to head. it continues to be as correct an assessment now as it was when i wrote it...

It's also an assessment that we now have empirical proof of, as opposed to your own gut feeling. You know, the entire point of polls or any other kind of data gathering.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Trick by far. And it is a shame that it doesn't get ported to modern systems.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
There is no mountain other than what you're making of it right now. You used circular logic to justify your argument. You don't need years of education to point that out, just "common sense".

It's also an assessment that we now have empirical proof of, as opposed to your own gut feeling. You know, the entire point of polls or any other kind of data gathering.

i'm sorry it upsets you that, when it comes to the obvious, 'you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows'. anyway, you now have 'empirical proof' of the obvious. that this provides you with a degree of comfort, i suppose, can only be a good thing. be at peace...

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
One good case at most? That's some insane hyperbole if I've ever seen it. I could name at least three each, and 2 and V3 both have at least one case that are better than even the highs of AA and ZE.

It's not hyperbole, it's my opinion. I don't think the first game has any good murder mysteries. The tricks aren't original and have been done better in murder mystery literature from both western and Japanese sources. The second game has one case I liked, maybe two. The third game had the best murder mysteries in my opinion, and in hindsight I actually liked three to four cases there. The first one I disliked all the cases with no exception.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
DR1's murders are fairly predictable except maybe the very last one. DR2 is when they finally got their stuff together and provided some pretty interesting cases, especially the infamous case 5. DR3 had some fun ones, but the overall motives felt way weaker.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
DR1's murders are fairly predictable except maybe the very last one. DR2 is when they finally got their stuff together and provided some pretty interesting cases, especially the infamous case 5. DR3 had some fun ones, but the overall motives felt way weaker.

I think motive in DR is always going to be weak because by definition the characters are being artificially forced into murder mysteries and wouldn't normally murder people if not very, very pushed into it. So the motive is generally "Well, okay, makes sense I guess" but rarely super interesting. Thematically works though, I suppose?

They did improve the quality of their mysteries as they went on for sure. DR3 also gets a shoutout for having the only final case in the series that didn't make me zone out in disinterest. In hindsight though, I think the fact that I wasn't super into DR1 and 2 made DR3 better for obvious reasons lol

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
9) Zero Time Dilemma
8) Ace Attorney
7) Justice For All
6) Danganronpa 2
5) 999
4) Danganronpa 1
3) Trials and Tribulations
2) Virtue's Last Reward
1) Danganronpa V3

Danganronpa > Zero Escape > Ace Attorney
Your ordering is impeccable. Furthermore, Danganronpa 3 is a banger of a finale, more than I can say for zero time dilemma... I didn't feel so disappointed in the conclusion of a vn trilogy since corpse party.

Only thing I would change is putting 999 in 2nd place

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Muv Luv is an exceptional trilogy but for my vote the best is the all in one of Fate Stay Night/Unlimited Blade Works/Heaven's Feel
Yeah I know it's all one game but each route is so full of excellently written character development and intense action/drama/romance/horror that by the time you've finished all of them you will have played a trilogy.

Incidentally, Fate Hollow Ataraxia is an excellent follow up to the original game/trilogy. Even if it is considered a fan disc

Hmm I guess if you throw in Fate Extra you do have a full trilogy of separate titles in the same canon 🤔

Exist 2 Inspire