• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Halo Firefight?

• ODST all the way

Votes: 56 51.4%
  • Reach is the best (drop shield for life)

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • Halo 5's carnage is chaotically fun

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love Firefight. ODST's Firefight will always be my favorite (Chasm Ten solo all day!), but Halo: Reach's Firefight really pushed the mode in new exciting directions. I've played nothing but Firefight and Campaign in Reach and actually still fire up Score Attack today.

Halo 5's Firefight is good, too, but it feels a bit too short and the Prometheans can be a huge pain. For a while that's practically all I played and I'm super stoked 343i put the mode in the game. I hope 343i puts it in Halo: Infinite.

So, ERA, what's your favorite Firefight and why? Feel free to share your experiences with the mode!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played 5, but out of ODST and Reach I gotta go with Reach. The underground map from the campaign is my favorite.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Reach followed very closely by ODST.

I never played Halo 5 and don't care to. The best Halo games are the ones that don't star Master Chief.

EDIT:

Fixed the dumb typo.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ODST was the best with a survival atmosphere. Puny humans fighting the onslaught of Covenant hordes.

Reach excelled at being the most customizable experience with all different kinds of ways to play FF.

Halo 5's is a bunch of bullet sponge nonsense that became too arcadey.

Halo 5 had firefight? This wasn't in at launch, was it?

Later added.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Nah it was a big post-release update. Happened long after launch too iirc.
Figures. Halo 5 could have been so great if they had taken the time to have all of this ready at launch.
I will say that I enjoyed ODST the most because it felt the most like an actual survival game and the limited ammo and health really added to that experience.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 is the weaker of the three. It's fun and all but locking weapons behind firefight tiers is lame.
Reach and ODST tie but for different reasons. Reach was firefight perfected, but the daily/weekly challenges slowly turned it into a chore.

And nothing beats the og ODST firefight. I will never forget the night i got the Vidmaster Challenge: Endure achievement. Boy was that a struggle.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
While I enjoyed the customization of Reach's Firefight, it never felt as deep or rewarding as ODST's original version. I remember going in there, firing up heroic or legendary, and having 3 or so hour marathons of a single match. Wish something like Destiny would try a mode like that.

I must of played Halo 5 before it got Firefight? I don't remember it being in there.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Reach followed very closely by ODST.

I never played Halo 5 and don't care to. The best Halo games are the ones that star Master Chief.

giphy.gif

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
I'd say ODST was the best form of firefight, although its a shame it didn't have matchmaking. IMO ODST was more of a challenge and with 4 player co-op was a blast. Reach had way more options in the customization of the mode but to me lacked the tension and suspense of making it through to the next round.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
ODST

I still have fond memories of trying to marathon that to get the achievements for Recon Armor in Halo 3.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
H5 was the worst. Spongy ass motherfuckers.

ODST had the best, however, I enjoyed Reach more due to the additional content.

Oct 26, 2017
Reach all the way for me. ODST got the ball rolling but Reach refined it.

Halo 5 was just disappointing all around for me.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Playing ODST firefight 4 player co-op for that vidmaster challenge for the recon armor is and forever will be one of my favourite gaming moments ever. I don't think I've felt as much tension as I did that night in many other games ever.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I can't really choose one since they all have aspects I really like. If I could get ODST firefight with matchmaking and the ability to call in weapon reqs I would be a happy dude.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
How did you like ODST?
I am befuddled.

OT, it's ODST. That was just too much fun back in the day, then Reach then 5. Don't know what i want in an Infinite version yet.
This is either the dumbest post I've ever seen or some top class trolling
Incredible.

Reach was the best IMO. 5's didn't seem as well implemented as the ODST/Reach counterparts.

DAMMIT, I'm on mobile, made a typo. I meant the best Halo games are the ones that DON'T star Master Chief. Meaning that Reach and ODST are peak Halo.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 is my favorite since it has large scale battles, which is Halo at its best IMO. ODST is 2nd with Reach a distant 3rd.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Reach is that high. For shame.

ODST is the only one that felt like a true survival mode. And it was damn good. Armor Abilities and one-shot enemies ruined Reach firefight.

Halo 5's is neat but not really comparable.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
ODST was my favourite, it had a great set of maps and I also had a lot of fun going for the achievements tied to the mode. Reach was solid but I remember being disappointed with it coming off of ODST and I don't think I ever played Firefight in 5.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reach has great options but it's zero challenge and just a sort of relaxing fun with no tension, going through the motions. ODST on the other hand is not and has it were it counts, wish it had matchmaking, would be a nice MCC update ;)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
ODST > Reach > 5

ODST was the best horde mode that generation until Black Ops came out 1 year later.

Reach's was similarly great, though something was lost in the process of giving players the ability to customise their firefight games. There was beauty in the simplicity of ODST's single mode firefight. In ODST it felt like an achievement to last x rounds, waves, sets, achieve x high score - something to compare and contrast with friends. In giving all this flexibility, I felt this element was kinda undermined.

Halo 5's I consider the weakest of the 3, as it felt like a neat piece of side content, rather than a full feature of the game. ODST and Reach I could play for hours on-end - they could have been their own $20-30 title. Halo 5's Firefight could not sustain that. It felt more like side content than a major pillar of the game. My engagement with it usually consisted of playing a single match or two as a reprieve from Halo 5's competitive multiplayer. It was never 'God, I want to fire up Guardians to play some Firefight'. Praise I can give is that 8 players was cool, the enemy density is great, the bosses felt like bosses, rewards were great, and I actually liked how it used the Warzone playspaces.