• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Folks, can we agree that there are game genres, like fighters or Metrovania where SSD will only serve to quicken load times?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yes really interesting That why this next gen is really excited on both sides because the architecture is so different.

I think Microsoft has adapted its Raw Speed according to their new Velocity architecture.

Yeah I think the simplicity in understanding Sonys raw speed accomplishment has lead to MS' claim sort of being overlooked.

But they are talking about 2x-3x gains in SSD and RAM utilization by only loading pertinent portions of a asset instead of only loading.

On paper, it sounds like they can counter Sony's raw speed by being more efficient with the load they carry.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
At least initially, I feel like Microsoft's first party experiences will be held back a bit because of their stance on supporting their older consoles. We won't see anything that's truly designed from the ground up from them for a few years.

They might look crisper/play at higher frame rates and sustained resolutions on the Series X, but we'll still get games with black loading screens, limited fast travel, forced walking sections/elevators and worlds designed around limited draw distances/low lod to support HDDs from their first parties.

They're not requiring 3rd parties to also be cross gen right?

Nah, MS first party will most definitely take advantage of the SSD, even on crossgen games. Not terms of fundamental gameplay design - that will need to be identical across hardware - but load times, fast travel times, draw distances and LoDs will definitely benefit. All of these things are naturally scalable with hardware. It'll be the job of 1st party devs to show the QoL benefits of upgrading.

And no 3rd parties arent required to be cross gen.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Yeah I think the simplicity in understanding Sonys raw speed accomplishment has lead to MS' claim sort of being overlooked.

But they are talking about 2x-3x gains in SSD and RAM utilization by only loading pertinent portions of a asset instead of only loading.

On paper, it sounds like they can counter Sony's raw speed by being more efficient with the load they carry.

"On paper, it sounds like they can counter Sony's raw speed by being more efficient with the load they carry."

look like it is.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Reality check from Dealer?

I don't know who this Dealer guy is but the fact that you hang out in the Misterxmedia forums makes it hard for me to watch this video while expecting the guy to be objective and unbiased. Having said that I will take a look.

Edit: So he's going with the argument that the SSD speed wont matter because of the lowest common denominator in this case he uses the example of Pc's and current gen consoles with HDD's. Thing is though that eventually even third party games will more likely than not drop HDD support and require PC gamers to upgrade to SSDs. So that point is kind of moot.

And while I can see plenty of third party games that will not make full use of Sony's SSD to influence their game design, there will be other areas where the faster SSD will prove helpful. Like streaming in assets, lod etc. Besides that it seems to take alot of work out of the hands of developers so that's always a good thing. They will be able to put more of their attention elsewhere.

Finally I expect Sony's first party to make a real showing of what the SSD is capable of.

There is no reason to downplay the SSD. At the same time people will need to keep their expectations in check for a while when it comes to third party games. It will result in faster loading times, faster asset streaming and less pop in but besides that the game will not be any different from XsX to the PS5.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Reality check from Dealer?

This is, uhh, a take. I'm not going to finish the video because he's pulling numbers out of his ass, but his main point is that the PS5 SSD is too fast, claiming that "99.9% of people" on PC won't ever have drives that fast so developers will never make games for it because the audience is non-existent.

I still don't understand why people on the PC side (not all, just to make that clear) are so against upgrading their storage.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

"On paper, it sounds like they can counter Sony's raw speed by being more efficient with the load they carry."

look like it is.

I'm pretty sure i have already read that Sony as similar software. Which isn't surprising since it's just that, software. Having efficiënt software helps but it won't close a 130% gap. Especially not when the competition has similar software.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Physics says that's not true.
I'm sorry, I mean no load screens.

O1MUfLh.jpg

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
This is, uhh, a take. I'm not going to finish the video because he's pulling numbers out of his ass, but his main point is that the PS5 SSD is too fast, claiming that "99.9% of people" on PC won't ever have drives that fast so developers will never make games for it because the audience is non-existent.

I still don't understand why people on the PC side (not all, just to make that clear) are so against upgrading their storage.

Yeah it makes little sense. Eventually games will require new hardware. It's been done plenty of times in the past. The easiest example is games requiring higher version of Direct X to run.

Games will be made and those unwilling to upgrade their hardware will be left behind. Simple as that.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

look like it is.

I think that Cerny actual talked about something like this when he said they can make it up to 20+ gigs of data. At the end of the day none of these features stop smart programming. it only helps them.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Unless this is just standard tech in rdna2.

I think is more DX12U features.

And seeing how he speaks I think it's more a tech created by MS for Velocity Architecture.

After maybe Sony at its equivalent and that would really put a considerable advance for data streaming asset to the XSX but i really doubt it seen how MS seems to put it forward

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

look like it is.

Sounds amazing in theory. I wonder how much more difficult it will be for devs to use. The thing with Sony's approach is it's simple: it's so damn fast, they don't have to think about efficiencies.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sounds amazing in theory. I wonder how much more difficult it will be for devs to use. The thing with Sony's approach is it's simple: it's so damn fast, they don't have to think about efficiencies.

Yes and sony approach will also benefit for faster Loading times with ultra fast Raw speed. But really smart approach from MS too.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's true at all. Everyone I know who builds their own PCs would recommend an SSD.

The issue had been previously M.2 drives weren't worth the price difference because most games weren't designed to take advantage of the extra speed, and often had the exact same performance as a typical SSD. Once newer games take advantage of these drive speeds (largely in part to them being in the new consoles) folks will definitely be all about getting the fastest drives available.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I don't think that's true at all. Everyone I know who builds their own PCs would recommend an SSD.

The issue had been previously M.2 drives weren't worth the price difference because most games weren't designed to take advantage of the extra speed, and often had the exact same performance as a typical SSD. Once newer games take advantage of these drive speeds (largely in part to them being in the new consoles) folks will definitely be all about getting the fastest drives available.

We still have the decompression issue - and with console games expecting to have 7 or 8 cores, that leaves PC games not a ton of CPU headroom to do decompression of so much data.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
How many lanes of PCIe is the SSD or the decompressor in the ps5 using? 8GB/s is the normal limit on pcie4

The decompressor and other IO hardware lives on the main die, which is connected to the flash controller over 4 lanes of pcie4 - enough for the 5.5GB/s coming in from the SSD. The decompressor is not on the SSD side, i.e. that connection doesn't have to support upward of 22GB/s of decompressed data flowing out.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Most games will only need a SATA SSD going forward, and will "scale" in the options menu of games just like any other PC game setting, if you have faster NVMe SSD drives.

Very few games need to load large blocks of info beyond SATA SSD speed to make enough of a loading time difference to the gamer, plus the costs of optimizing it with a new "code" or different data usage configuration.

(Using "loading time" as a catch-all phrase here for any type of data reads that makes a gamer wait to do something)

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
Xbox Series X Raw SSD Power is over 2x faster than SSD and M.2 NVME in Game Loading Speed.

This is without even taking into account all the unique features of Velocity Architecture.
This is for those who think the fastest off the shelf NVME will match the speed of console SSDs.

Unmodified State of Decay 2

Xbox Series X (9 seconds)

PC SSD ( 20 seconds)

The difference between SSD and M.2 NVME in tests are less than 1 second.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Third party and Xbox games will require sluggish 1.1 second loading times, whereas PS5 first party will be a blistering .85 seconds.
The math when saying TF don't make a difference and there isn't much in it is roundly repeated but in real world terms I'm pretty sure that you're right. The load times will be marginal at best.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
PC basically has no SSD on the market right now as fast as PS5 SSD but that will be rectified before years end. However, it will require new motherboards with PCI Express 4.0 (and 5.0 is coming), only AMD Ryzen X570 motherboards currently have PCI Express 4.0 support. Current PC maxes out at 5000 MB/s while Sony PS5 is 5500 MB/s and up to 9000 using compressed data.

Most PCs can only meet at best Xbox Series X SSD speeds (2500 MB/s) but even that requires a M2 NVMe slot and a relatively fast SSD. High end PC NVMe drives on PCI Express 3.0 (Intel motherboards) top out at around 3500 MB/s. But all those cheap $100 1 TB NVMe drives on pc are all around 1750-2000 MB/s which isn't even as fast as Xbox. Then you have allot of pc users who don't even have NVMe slots, their SATA based SSD (SATA connection is what PS4 used) top out at 550 MB/s.
Thank you for that, hopefully this won't be an issue when it's time for a new pc.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Xbox Series X Raw SSD Power is over 2x faster than SSD and M.2 NVME in Game Loading Speed.

This is without even taking into account all the unique features of Velocity Architecture.
This is for those who think the fastest off the shelf NVME will match the speed of console SSDs.

Unmodified State of Decay 2

Xbox Series X (9 seconds)

PC SSD ( 20 seconds)

The difference between SSD and M.2 NVME in tests are less than 1 second.

the big reasons are: no tuning for ssd, and the cpu limit on decompression - ie it doesn't matter if you have 2gb a second available if your copy can only work on 500mb/s

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
People acting like SSD couldn't become a minimum requirement on PC, like higher ram did this gen.

Force people to upgrade. It's time. It isn't 10 years ago when you'd be paying hundreds for a 64gb SSD, you can get 1TB for 100$. Ganted slower than what's in these consoles, but faster than HD.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The math when saying TF don't make a difference and there isn't much in it is roundly repeated but in real world terms I'm pretty sure that you're right. The load times will be marginal at best.

I'm sure there will be cool tech demo shit that 1st party studios can pull. It'll be fun to see how it translates into the big titles that everyone buys, especially as we know that game loads are going to be almost killed dead by the multi game resumes on Xbox, you could in theory only ever need to do a long load (which is where any perceived difference would be ) once

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The gap between the XSX SSD and the PS5 SSD is tiny in comparison to the gap between the XSX and a 5400RPM mechanical HDD. It's not going to be a bottleneck to game design.

The odd one out and lowest common denominator is going to be PC gaming. If a developer wants a good PC version for the majority of the userbase then they're not going to be able to take advantage of the SSDs in these consoles. Nothing short of a PCIE 4.0 NVME drive is going to be enough to keep up with a XSX and they are far from common in gaming rigs, and many that are installed will be used as boot drives with most games installed to slower SSDs or even mechanical HDDs.

VR is the only thing keeping me invested in a gaming rig at this point, if Microsoft were to embrace VR (and specifically Oculus headsets) then the Series X could save me from upgrading my PC for a long time. Adding the cost of a 1TB PCIE 4.0 SSD to any PC that wants to play multi platform games is just pushing the price of PC gaming outside of what I'm prepared to pay.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
How many PC users are on SSD now? Do the steam stats show that number?

The issue isn't so much PC users having an SSD altogether, the issue is having a high end PCIE 3/4 NVME drive that's big enough to store most of your games. I've got a cheap 256GB SATA SSD and it's a fantastic boot drive but the majority of my games are still stored on an old mechanical hard drive. Even if I was using that SSD for games, it's still nowhere near fast enough to keep up with the XSX drive. It's going to be a long transition before your average PC gamer has a 1TB PCIE 4 NVME drive.

People acting like SSD couldn't become a minimum requirement on PC, like higher ram did this gen.

Force people to upgrade. It's time. It isn't 10 years ago when you'd be paying hundreds for a 64gb SSD, you can get 1TB for 100$. Ganted slower than what's in these consoles, but faster than HD.

If I was upgrading my PC in preparation for playing games based around the SSDs in these consoles, I sure as hell wouldn't be buying a $100 1TB SATA SSD.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Insofar as game design is concerned, what is less concerning is PS5's SSD bandwidth advantage and much more the bandwidth constrained current gen systems which will feature cross gen titles from both MS's FP and TP.

It will be interesting to see whether developers will adopt the Nintendo Switch approach which entailed porting certain performance taxing current gen games and altering their level design to alleviate the issues.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Insofar as game design is concerned, what is less concerning is PS5's SSD bandwidth advantage and much more the bandwidth constrained current gen systems which will feature cross gen titles from both MS's FP and TP.

It will be interesting to see whether developers will adopt the Nintendo Switch approach which entailed porting certain performance taxing current gen games and altering their level design to alleviate the issues.
Which Switch ports has altered level design?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there will be cool tech demo shit that 1st party studios can pull. It'll be fun to see how it translates into the big titles that everyone buys, especially as we know that game loads are going to be almost killed dead by the multi game resumes on Xbox, you could in theory only ever need to do a long load (which is where any perceived difference would be ) once

I mean, what's a perceived difference...

Assuming for a moment, that both support swapping between multiple suspended game states.

If I'm swapping from an active game to a suspended session of another game on XSX, that may be

(Time to write out the current game state to ssd) + ~3 seconds (time to fill 13.5GB, to restore a ram-full game state from the ssd assuming 2:1 compression)

On PS5 under the same compression assumptions and ram utilisation assumption it may be

(Time to write out the current game state to ssd) + ~1.5 seconds state restore time

This is maybe a simplification - maybe you can do fancy things so there's overlaps between reads and writes when RAM becomes 'safe' to fill with new data.

But I think we're probably not in the threshold of 'instantaneous', at least in the general case, for games whose state uses all of RAM i.e. not in the realm of diminishing returns.

Not a big deal for many people I'm sure, but depending on the write speeds for each drive, this process could be quite noticeably faster on PS5 than XSX if it's a case of several seconds vs half that, rather than '0.1 seconds vs 0.05 seconds'.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The only one I can remember atm is Wolfenstein the new colossus. I recall DF's analysis showing parts of levels being slightly altered so that render and memory budgets could be brought inline with what Switch's HW could handle whilst running at steady 30fps.
That's the one I do remember and the example I do remember was putting a big obstacle to block a vista at one point.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, what's a perceived difference...

Assuming for a moment, that both support swapping between multiple suspended game states.

If I'm swapping from an active game to a suspended session of another game on XSX, that may be

(Time to write out the current game state to ssd) + ~3 seconds (time to fill 13.5GB, to restore a ram-full game state from the ssd assuming 2:1 compression)

On PS5 under the same compression assumptions and ram utilisation assumption it may be

(Time to write out the current game state to ssd) + ~1.5 seconds state restore time

This is maybe a simplification - maybe you can do fancy things so there's overlaps between reads and writes when RAM becomes 'safe' to fill with new data.

But I think we're probably not in the threshold of 'instantaneous', at least in the general case, for games whose state uses all of RAM i.e. not in the realm of diminishing returns.

Not a big deal for many people I'm sure, but depending on the write speeds for each drive, this process could be quite noticeably faster on PS5 than XSX if it's a case of several seconds vs half that, rather than '0.1 seconds vs 0.05 seconds'.

It's a really good point, the biggest saving is going to come from skipping logos and such, not the loading/vs resuming

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That's the one I do remember and the example I do remember was putting a big obstacle to block a vista at one point.

Yes! That's the one. You've good memory.

So yea, I do wonder if current gen renditions of next gen games will feature design elements like those or introduce the prevalent "Squeeze through here please" interactive loading screens.

Jan 3, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they talk about the UI letting you skip all the intro stuff and go directly to the game? I assumed you hit the button and it starts loading your save/putting you in multiplayer session instead of a suspend/resume style solution. Not that it wouldn't work (PSP Go of all things had something like that).

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they talk about the UI letting you skip all the intro stuff and go directly to the game? I assumed you hit the button and it starts loading your save/putting you in multiplayer session instead of a suspend/resume style solution. Not that it wouldn't work (PSP Go of all things had something like that).

That's true, they did, although they wouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive ideas. But, yeah, short-cutting into a save or a multiplayer match, with splashscreen bypasses as described in one of the Wired articles, that might serve much the same purpose as resuming a suspended game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Yes! That's the one. You've good memory.

So yea, I do wonder if current gen renditions of next gen games will feature design elements like those or introduce the prevalent "Squeeze through here please" interactive loading screens.
Another example I can cite is MK11, well particularly that Crypt thing with its N64 level fog, but I don't thank too many resources were put into that part of the port anyway. They also simplified... the character select screen.

Other than these examples, I can't recall such cutbacks. For all the visual compromises, Witcher 3 on Switch is straight up full fat Witcher 3 as far as I'm aware, complete with stuff the trees swaying hard in storms. This hasn't been too common even with Switch ports, so far at least.

DOOM Eternal will be interesting to see. Panic Button is doing that and the early levels have gigantic demons frolicking in the background as decorations from what have I seen. Will they remove or obscure things like that in some way?