• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order does this. If you are going through a squeeze through loading area but the game didn't load the next area in time, it literally stops until it loads. Even in BOTW if you move too fast the game will stop to load in the map.

i have an evo 850 in my PS4 Pro and never saw this..........these new SSD's in both consoles are insanely faster than even that. I highly doubt this will be much of an issue if at all on either console

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, i'm the lowest common denominator.
I'm not planning to change from HDD to SSD til late 2021.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Does everyone really believe that a faster SSD will solve everything? So Mark Cerny knows something that no one else in the PC or console space ever figured out? "Forget the CPU and GPU, just get the fastest storage possible and all of your graphics programming challenges will magically go away." I am very impressed by the PS5, but I really believe we are putting too much stock in it's SSD.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good video talking about the new consoles ssd and the difference between them and an already existing ssd on pc. I have no idea what's going on anymore.
PC basically has no SSD on the market right now as fast as PS5 SSD but that will be rectified before years end. However, it will require new motherboards with PCI Express 4.0 (and 5.0 is coming), only AMD Ryzen X570 motherboards currently have PCI Express 4.0 support. Current PC maxes out at 5000 MB/s while Sony PS5 is 5500 MB/s and up to 9000 using compressed data.

Most PCs can only meet at best Xbox Series X SSD speeds (2500 MB/s) but even that requires a M2 NVMe slot and a relatively fast SSD. High end PC NVMe drives on PCI Express 3.0 (Intel motherboards) top out at around 3500 MB/s. But all those cheap $100 1 TB NVMe drives on pc are all around 1750-2000 MB/s which isn't even as fast as Xbox. Then you have allot of pc users who don't even have NVMe slots, their SATA based SSD (SATA connection is what PS4 used) top out at 550 MB/s.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Lol PCs will have SSDs running @ 7GB/s by Q3 2020

They will not be the lowest denominator

I'd be pretty shocked if PC games started using SSD, let alone even XsX level SSD as minimum spec any time soon. You've got years before the first part is even going to be a big movement there.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone really believe that a faster SSD will solve everything? So Mark Cerny knows something that no one else in the PC or console space ever figured out? "Forget the CPU and GPU, just get the fastest storage possible and all of your graphical issues will magically go away." I am very impressed by the PS5, but I really believe we are putting too much stock in it's SSD.

I think it just comes down to how the PC will adapt in this regard. We will have very fast sustained NVME SSD solutions on both next-gen consoles. If developers want to put these games on PC as well, do they require a SSD? Or a NVME SSD? Or do they not really take advantage of any of it and allow PCs with mechanical HDD to still play their games?

On the next-gen consoles, there's a guarantee in place. There's variability in the PC space. Someone next year can buy a PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD with 7 GB/s read speeds for their PC, but if the game developers aren't altering requirements and building games on PC to take advantage of that, and allowing the PC version of their games to still use a HDD or SATA SSD, then that speed isn't really going to be fully realized.

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I think it just comes down to how the PC will adapt in this regard. We will have very fasted sustained NVME SSD solutions on both next-gen consoles. If developers want to put these games on PC as well, do they require a SSD? Or a NVME SSD? Or do they not really take advantage of any of it and allow PCs with mechanical HDD to still play their games?

On the next-gen consoles, there's a guarantee in place. There's variability in the PC space. Someone next year can buy a PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD with 7 GB/s read speeds for their PC, but if the game developers aren't altering requirements and building games on PC to take advantage of that, and allowing the PC version of their games to still use a HDD or SATA SSD, then that speed isn't really going to be fully realized.

A game built around 7GB/s SSD will NOT work on HDD. So either devs develop for SSD or not.

There is no inbetween. Either PC player adapt or get left behind

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Does everyone really believe that a faster SSD will solve everything? So Mark Cerny knows something that no one else in the PC or console space ever figured out? "Forget the CPU and GPU, just get the fastest storage possible and all of your graphics programming challenges will magically go away." I am very impressed by the PS5, but I really believe we are putting too much stock in it's SSD.

This is not the correct way to view this. Computer games like all computer programs are severely limited and have been designed to use HDD as the baseline for their storage. They are optimized accordingly. PS5 and Xbox are the first set of large scale gaming platforms that can ignore the restrictions of a HDD bottlenecked memory hierarchy. The problem is that XSX and PS5 multiplatform games that do not wish to have PC versions with high storage requirements will not see any benefit beyond load times. In this regard PS5 and XSX exclusives are free to truly revolutionize game design and from this perspective the PS5 has an advantage which no amount of horsepower can overcome.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We're going to be in a weird place where a bunch of games are still being designed around base xbox and ps4 (...including all of Microsoft's first party games) for ~2 years. Sony PS5 exclusives might be our only taste of 'true next-gen' for a while :/

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
A game built around 7GB/s SSD will NOT work on HDD. So either devs develop for SSD or not.

Yep, that's pretty much my point. Even a SATA SSD at ~500 MB/S isn't going to be sufficient.

Either game design changes and PC requirements for modern games require a 5+ GB/s NVME SSD as a result, or the bar remains low and developers allow their games to run on a HDD or SATA SSD. Which means the underlying design of the games isn't changing.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Lockhart being the lowest common denominator for multi platform titles. Everyone is taking the highest end model of the Xbox version as the Xbox baseline.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Lockhart being the lowest common denominator for multi platform titles. Everyone is taking the highest end model of the Xbox version as the Xbox baseline.
The Lockhart is going to run the exact same games but at a lower resolution and no ray tracing. It's going to work similarly to how the Switch works docked vs portable mode. It's really not that complicated.

You'll still be able to render the same worlds with the same physics, etc, you'll just be pushing out less pixels.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, that's pretty much my point. Even a SATA SSD at ~500 MB/S isn't going to be sufficient.

Either game design changes and PC requirements for modern games require a 5+ GB/s NVME SSD as a result, or the bar remains low and developers allow their games to run on a HDD or SATA SSD. Which means the underlying design of the games isn't changing.

well.. ofcourse games will be built around the SSDs. Why would it not? PC players are a minority vs PS5 + Xbox.. either they upgrade or get left behind.

Look at triple A games sales this gen. PC sales are always at the bottom.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
So now this is turning into "... super fast SSDs will make consoles leave the PC's behind?" Okayyyyy. Does an SSD draw pixels? Can it calculate physics? This is like Github is BS, MisterXmedia's secret sauce, and Crackdown's cloud on steroids. You guys really need to temper your expectations.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually is very interesting, Microsoft is bringing their DirectStorage solution used in Series X to windows, so that might alleviate a lot of the concerns (potentially?)

If next gen games are designed with ultra fast SSDs in mind, that will be the min specs and people will have to upgrade to play them.

How many games require nvme to run nowadays? none! well no shit PC users don't care about it then.

Consoles are what set the baseline, devs won't ignore ps5/series x because pc players dont have nvme in q1 2020 when no game requires it lmao.. that makes no sense.
I can't even tell what you are saying here. Or why you quoted me.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
So now this is turning into "... super fast SSDs will make consoles leave the PC's behind?" Okayyyyy. Does an SSD draw pixels? Can it calculate physics? This is like Github is BS, MisterXmedia's secret sauce, and Crackdown's cloud on steroids. You guys really need to temper your expectations.
It (can) fundamentally change game design, in a way that can be not scalable, before you even get to drawing it.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I;m sure the SSD will be nice to use, but are you actually thinking it will give the machine more graphical grunt? That's the GPU/CPUs job.
if the SSD is fast enough, devs can use higher quality texture since they can swap it out immediately when they need to.

SSD will affects graphics immensly.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

That's not going to happen considering the market leader on PC, Intel might not have any motherboards supporting fast SSDs until 2021 or 2022. Intel might not even support PCI Express 4.0 at all and skip to 5.0. If anything changes for multiplatform games, it will just be requiring a SSD which includes SATA SSDs at 550 MB/s.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I know it's whispered around these parts when folk want to hamstring the series x...but no i don't actually know what it is or capable of.
lol ok

That's not going to happen considering the market leader on PC, Intel might not have any motherboards supporting fast SSDs until 2021 or 2022. Intel might not even support PCI Express 4.0 at all and skip to 5.0. If anything changes for multiplatform games, it will just be requiring a SSD which includes SATA SSDs at 550 MB/s.

That would be the worst case scenario and I don't see it happening at all.

PC sales are the minority when it comes to AAA games, why would devs hamstring themselves because of PC? especially considering PC players can and will upgrade when they find the landscape changing around them.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
lol ok

That would be the worst case scenario and I don't see it happening at all.

PC sales are the minority when it comes to AAA games, why would devs hamstring themselves because of PC? especially considering PC players can and will upgrade when they find the landscape changing around them.

We might just have another few of games not coming to PC because of the performance gap of the consoles and the majority of PCs being used.
We are going into a gen with good specs this time. Last gen's long long tail and the under specced PS4/XboxOne have spoiled PC gamers for the last decade

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
We might just have another few of games not coming to PC because of the performance gap of the consoles and the majority of PCs being used.
We are going into a gen with good specs this time. Last gen's long long tail and the under specced PS4/XboxOne have spoiled PC gamers for the last decade
Hopefully we move to SSD faster than the speed of getting rid of VGA ports.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot easier to crank up the resolution to take advantage of additional GPU power than it is to take advantage of 2x faster data transfer without significantly affecting the other version in a negative way. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet most developers will optimize their game to run smoothly with the XSX's slower SSD, and then any improved load times on PS5 will just be a bonus.

This is likely, hence me saying it would need some convincing from Sony for them to do otherwise. Their SSD will shine with their first party though.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

I don't think they would flat out not come to PC. But they will require an nvme storage to run.

Do you think devs might compromise on their next gen games because some PC players are still using HDD? I don't think so.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Thats quite obvious, same way that Series X will probably have just higher res or more stable fps in multiplats. The real difference will come from First Party games.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Velocity Architecture software developed in MS SSD solution suppose to be game changing?

edit - here it

Xbox Velocity Architecture – The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we've created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think they would flat out not come to PC. But they will require an nvme storage to run.

Do you think devs might compromise on their next gen games because some PC players are still using HDD? I don't think so.

I'm just saying we might go through that awkward 2007 Crysis phases where piracy is rife and pc sales are poor, so companies pull out of PC ports.

I mean, I hope not, but you never know.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The Lockhart is going to run the exact same games but at a lower resolution and no ray tracing. It's going to work similarly to how the Switch works docked vs portable mode. It's really not that complicated.

You'll still be able to render the same worlds with the same physics, etc, you'll just be pushing out less pixels.

How is that potentially any different to a game on Xbox X vs PS5?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why Sony bothered with a CPU and GPU it seems like this SSD makes everything else redundant.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Velocity Architecture software developed in MS SSD solution suppose to be game changing?

They've not talked about it a great deal, but the velocity architecture is a whole bunch of technologies that will make things better.
One of the MS boffins is talking a little bit about it on twitter

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just saying we might go through that awkward 2007 Crysis phases where piracy is rife and pc sales are poor, so companies pull out of PC ports.

I mean, I hope not, but you never know.

Cerny spoke a lot about removing bottlenecks between the SSD to the ram to ensure 5.5GB/s throughput.

Do you think PC will suffer from those bottlenecks since it doesn't have any customized hardware?

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
They've not talked about it a great deal, but the velocity architecture is a whole bunch of technologies that will make things better.
One of the MS boffins is talking a little bit about it on twitter

I watched almost all of the DirectX thing yesterday, but missed the bit on Storage. That bit there is actually really exciting now that I think about it and based on what I watched.