• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I still have my Vive (had it 3.5 years and am debating whether I should just sell it). I think the Quest looks way better with Link. IMO the optics are significantly better and the screens, obviously, are too. I suppose Hz is an individual thing, but with these things all being low persistence, it doesn't really bother me. Motion resolution is still great.

I was playing Dirt Rally the other day and it should have been a game I noticed the difference on, but the image was just so much nicer it wasn't what I was thinking about. I was just thinking about how much nicer it looked on Quest. Same with Polybius. I was playing that two days ago. If any game should make a difference, it's that. But I only thought about the Hz difference much later. When I realized how little I cared and wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't know.

But some people could be physically bothered by 72hz so I'd put it squarely in the YMMV.
The 72hz vs 90hz hasn't bothered me one bit either, although I came from the consumer Rift. I'll be testing out an index for the first time soon and I understand that's a whole other thing.

Everything else is more or less flicker, but apparently the index doesn't feel like it has any flicker at 144hz. I'm interested to find out if my experience lines up with those claims.

Thanks for the feedback!

I was also contemplating to upgrade to the Rift S, but the lack of IPD adjustment and the LCD screen were a deal breaker.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I got my link cable in the mail yesterday and finally got a chance to try out PCVR.

Setup was a breeze, but I did run into an issue with launching games after link had already been established. Tried launching Lone Echo and it failed. I think I just need to launch the games from the Quest itself, which is no biggie really.

Image quality if fucking fantastic. I haven't tried a standalone PCVR set for comparison, but aliasing alone is so much less noticeable on the games I've tried out vs standalone Quest games. Haven't noticed any artifacting or latency but I haven't tried any fast paced games yet, so jury's still out there.

I will say that the controller tracking seems a bit more jittery when running link. Hasn't really been an issue yet.

One issue I've run into with Lone Echo is the FoV the Quest has for tracking the controllers. If my arms is to far behind me it'll lose tracking, but that's just unfortunately the nature of how Quest does it's tracking.

Lone Echo is really incredible so far. Such a gorgeous game. I'm running a GTX 1080 so I set the debug tool to 1.2 pixel density with distortion curvature set to low and encode resolution width set to 2352. Looks and runs great!

Now I'm faced with the challenge of making my desk space VR compatible. Don't really have much free space in that room at the moment, so I'm limited vs the freedom of standalone Quest games. Would love to get a ceiling mounted cable management system setup as well so I'm not burdened by the wire.

rmrivera

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone! Recently ordered a Quest but while I wait for it to arrive I'm looking for the official link cable. I see it's pretty much sold out everywhere online and I'm wondering if anyone knows if Best Buy is also stocking them in stores?

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I really need to try the Journey of the Gods demo. It has been on my Quest for months but I keep neglecting it.

For your list, I haven't played most of what you listed so I might not have the best advice, but of your list the one I enjoyed most was Shadow point. I also like Sariento but I don't have the legs for it yet so it's my least played purchase.

What I would really recommend is Vacation Simulator even though it's not on your list and might be too expensive for you. I have Job Simulator on PSVR and it is okay but I had had enough of it very quickly. Vacation Simulator is 10x better than Job. So much more to do and if you go for 100%, you can easily get 10+ hours out of it. You don't need to walk around much either as you teleport from area to area.

Vacation simulator is on my wishlist but is too much right now, but it is a definite purchase for sure. Will hold off on that for now and wait for a sale or when I get paid not next month but the month after that.

I just finished Fisherman's Tale, and it was great, although very short. One of the best uses of VR i've seen.

Heh, that too is on my wishlist but the short length is making it go into a sale buy territory.

So, I decided in sariento unleashed because st how fucking awesomely insane it looks, plus I dont get vr sickness. Plus it has plenty of modes and score attacks for me to sink my teeth into.

Second looks like it will be knockout league, as it will give me a nice little bonus workout plus it looks great and has high replay value. Plus it is cross buy and should make for a great showcase for other people to play.

It also allows me to get rid of the God awful creed demo off of my quest.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I just ordered the Quest, it was out of stock on Amazon, i refreshed the page and suddenly it was available, so i pulled the trigger.
Looking forward to enjoy this great piece of hardware.

I have heard that you can use other cable brands to plug into your PC besides the Oculus link, is there any 16 feet cable alternative cheaper than the one is Oculus offering?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I just ordered the Quest, it was out of stock on Amazon, i refreshed the page and suddenly it was available, so i pulled the trigger.
Looking forward to enjoy this great piece of hardware.

I have heard that you can use other cable brands to plug into your PC besides the Oculus link, is there any 16 feet cable alternative cheaper than the one is Oculus offering?
nice! i ordered mine off best buy website this morning when i woke up. with a nice birthday discount coupon (10 % off) and one day shipping got it for $405 total! comes tomorrow cant wait! got the last one online in the state of AZ i feel like lol

anyways my cousin i just moved in with wanted to buy one so looked around hours later to only amazon saying in stock on the 23rd. He bought it.

i just now need to find a link cable to:( lol when is your quest arriving?

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
nice! i ordered mine off best buy website this morning when i woke up. with a nice birthday discount coupon (10 % off) and one day shipping got it for $405 total! comes tomorrow cant wait! got the last one online in the state of AZ i feel like lol

anyways my cousin i just moved in with wanted to buy one so looked around hours later to only amazon saying in stock on the 23rd. He bought it.

i just now need to find a link cable to:( lol when is your quest arriving?

It says between January 17th and 22th
The oculus link cable is not available in my region so i have to look for alternatives, i found this one on Amazon:
But i do not know if this is a good alternative.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone get an update on their Quest? I bought 2MD: VR Football Unleashed on the mobile app, and when I went to Install it remotely, it said, "Your Quest is in the process of updating" or something like that.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Out of the box, the right controller of my Quest hasn't worked. I can press all of the buttons but it is just stuck in midair. I reached out to support after troubleshooting everything I could find online but I haven't heard anything back for three days so far.

This is my first VR experience and other than the busted controller, it's so damn cool. What a bummer.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So i got a pair of those AMVR Grip covers, but the the slits that the straps are supposed to thread through appear to be too small......or the straps are too wide...

UMkVfcR.jpg

i take it the straps are supposed to thread through easily??

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Seems like HTC is restocking the DAS. Somebody on Reddit also claimed they were hearing February for restocks (I'm guess they were referring to retail release since it's already in stock at HTC).

It's the only HTC consumer product anyone wants right now. Probably not a bad idea to fire up the production line again. For them, every penny counts.

May 30, 2018

Seems like HTC is restocking the DAS. Somebody on Reddit also claimed they were hearing February for restocks (I'm guess they were referring to retail release since it's already in stock at HTC).

It's the only HTC consumer product anyone wants right now. Probably not a bad idea to fire up the production line again. For them, every penny counts.
dang seems like the add to cart button is already greyed out.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
So i got a pair of those AMVR Grip covers, but the the slits that the straps are supposed to thread through appear to be too small......or the straps are too wide...

UMkVfcR.jpg

i take it the straps are supposed to thread through easily??

They definitely fit. The slits are smaller than the width of the strap but it doesn't really matter. Just pull it all the way through.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely fit. The slits are smaller than the width of the strap but it doesn't really matter. Just pull it all the way through.

How comfortable are the AMVR straps in terms of being able to access the thumbsticks and buttons? I picked up the KIWI knuckle straps, and they make it pretty difficult to access either.

May 30, 2018
Are you outside the US? I added one to the cart when I posted the link. And I just added two more to the cart right now. I don't want to check out, but appears I still could if I wanted to.
just went and looked again- it looks like the add to cart button is blue and working on the page you linked, but not when i actually click into the item itself, bizarre! but thank you - i was just able to successfully order. that $16 shipping though... yikes

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
How comfortable are the AMVR straps in terms of being able to access the thumbsticks and buttons? I picked up the KIWI knuckle straps, and they make it pretty difficult to access either.

It definitely positions your hand a bit further up on the controller, but I haven't really had a problem with accessing the buttons/thumbsticks so far. I just got the AMVR ones this week too, so I need to test them out more, but I do like that I don't have to constantly be holding the controllers. Makes grabbing feel more natural.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Maybe its been asked before but I would love to get a quest for beat saber but I only want it if I can do custom stuff like you can with the PC vr version of the game.
Just the official stuff is nice but the community is what makes BS amazing.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe its been asked before but I would love to get a quest for beat saber but I only want it if I can do custom stuff like you can with the PC vr version of the game.
Just the official stuff is nice but the community is what makes BS amazing.
You sure can on the Quest. Actually what makes Beat Saber really amazing is the tons of custom songs available for it. Although I wish some custom song mappers would include more Normal and Easy difficulty for the custom songs (some amazing ones are Expert or Expert+ and that makes them pretty much unplayable to anyone but the most seasoned BS players).

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello there, I just recently ordered an Oculus Quest and will be my first experience with VR. I was reading of the possibility of connecting it to a PC to expand the library. Question is, considering my MSI Laptop is from 2017, how can I know which games I can run on it and which not? I tried to run the STEAMVR software and sadly the GPU is suggested to be weak. Does this mean I can't run anything at ALL? Or depends on the game? Thanks

Oct 29, 2017
You sure can on the Quest. Actually what makes Beat Saber really amazing is the tons of custom songs available for it. Although I wish some custom song mappers would include more Normal and Easy difficulty for the custom songs (some amazing ones are Expert or Expert+ and that makes them pretty much unplayable to anyone but the most seasoned BS players).

Yep, I've found that too. Really limits song choice as I know myself and my wife are pretty certain never to get to Expert rank and so we'll miss out on so many custom songs.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I've found that too. Really limits song choice as I know myself and my wife are pretty certain never to get to Expert rank and so we'll miss out on so many custom songs.
you could always play with no fail mode on.

I never really thought I would get up to expert, but now I can do most of them. Same with my SO.
part of that came from me really wanting to play certain songs and just getting used to them on expert.
granted with custom songs you can't always be sure the difficulty matches well. I have a few hard songs that are harder than expert songs but that's true even with the base songs lol.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Thanks for all the info, ok so on custom songs you can´t set difficulty?
Who set difficulty then? Maker of the song?
Is it hard for them to set it to normal? is there not a big list for "normal" versions of songs?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the info, ok so on custom songs you can´t set difficulty?
Who set difficulty then? Maker of the song?
Is it hard for them to set it to normal? is there not a big list for "normal" versions of songs?
each difficulty has to be mapped by hand.
most players that will be motivated to play with custom songs in the long term will at least make it to expert difficulty, and a lot of them will be looking for a challenge/work out with expert+
thus most of the modding community just focuses where the vast majority of long term players will be.

They still do challenges and what not from time to time where people make maps for all difficulties so there are still plenty of custom songs with easy and normal, but not nearly as many as the ones being made for higher difficulties as even for experienced mappers each difficulty takes a few hours to map well.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Hello there, I just recently ordered an Oculus Quest and will be my first experience with VR. I was reading of the possibility of connecting it to a PC to expand the library. Question is, considering my MSI Laptop is from 2017, how can I know which games I can run on it and which not? I tried to run the STEAMVR software and sadly the GPU is suggested to be weak. Does this mean I can't run anything at ALL? Or depends on the game? Thanks

What gpu is in your laptop? The SteamVR benchmark is probably an accurate enough indication of the performance you should expect to see in most VR games so unfortunately you may need to get a new system if you want to play most titles for PCVR. You may be able to get around this by lowering the super sampling value below the default resolution but you're definitely going to get a pared down, blurrier experience. Before I upgraded my PC recently this is what I did just to be able to play Sword & Sorcery at playable performance but then again I had a 970 which while old at this point still got me through the majority of VR games. And then Asgard's Wrath came out :P

I mean you've got what you've got rn in terms of your available hardware and with a Quest on the way you may as well try out a few things to see what sort of performance you get, and so you don't waste money (or wait for refund) here's a link for all the free demos for VR games available on Steam:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone experience sounds that get VERY static-y/distorted when playing via Link? I was trying Vader Immortal yesterday via Link, just to see what the fidelity difference was like, and whenever something "loud" or bass-filled happened, it became very distorted.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone experience sounds that get VERY static-y/distorted when playing via Link? I was trying Vader Immortal yesterday via Link, just to see what the fidelity difference was like, and whenever something "loud" or bass-filled happened, it became very distorted.

Had this exact same issue today. Turn down the master game volume in the game settings. That fixed it for me.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the table tennis games were better at creating AI. In both Eleven Tennis (Steam) and Racket Fury (Quest), I find no middle ground with these guys. I either cream them or get creamed. I'm only on the second Cup (out of four) in Racket Fury and the second guy completely kicks my ass. The first guy in this cup is a cupcake and the second guy is shooting balls 100mph that land on the lines every time. Same thing happened with Winning Eleven for me. I love these games, but I just want to have some competitive fun. Could we maybe go from 50 to 60 mph? And then 70? And not go from 50 to 100? Surely we don't have to live in a world where you either suck or are a table tennis ninja:( There's 10 more guys above this dude. WTF. Save it.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is playing BoxVR everyday a legitimate form of exercise? I am starting to consider the idea of exercise in VR.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Is playing BoxVR everyday a legitimate form of exercise? I am starting to consider the idea of exercise in VR.

I've seen others mention using BoxVR for workouts, and especially Thrill of the Fight, the latter is practically a boxing sim and can wind you pretty quickly. I've been playing that off and on and it's a great workout especially when fighting the higher difficulty opponents.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
The great thing about BoxVR is you can make your own playlists or do longer preset workouts. Anything that gets your heartrate up and helps it stay up for 30-45 minutes is decent aerobic exercise in my book, and with BoxVR, you won't lose heart rate going back to the song select screen like you will with BeatSaber and SynthRiders.

So I'd say yeah, BoxVR everyday is a good every day aerobic workout. I recommend wearing a sweatband and getting a wipeable VRcover though!

My *favorite* quest workout right now though is Synth Riders (no fail, immersive mode) + Pistol Whip (no fail, no obstacles) while pedaling an exercise bike. They are simply amazing played that way :D

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Recently just started a short 3 mins one for a warm up, 15 mins for the main workout and then a couple of rounds in Dance Central VR as cool down. I'll increase the intensity as I go

Unfortunately Thrill of the Fight is too intensive for me, I was half dead after 2 rounds so I'll stick to BoxVR for now

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The more I go on the quest the more it convinces me it's a window into a revolutionary platform. The sense of presence and interactivity with the digital world has no equal in tech. Once they nail hand tracking and make the headset lighter and slimmer then it already is, it'll be a game changer.

A few things I find strange though, you can't change the brightness for some reason, and no battery saver mode is present. Both are found in the oculus go. Dont see why at least the brightness cant be changed.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The rules change from up to 2 hours of play to just 30 minutes for refunds has really fucked me over but, as far as *I'm* concerned, the devs too. See, I was buying a ton (a TON) of stuff on Quest because I knew I had that sweet parachute to save my ass just in case... and yet in the end I only refunded once.

Then I found out the hard way that the rules had changed after being denied a refund for The Climb, with around 40 minutes of playtime where 30 minutes of those were for the tutorial and messing with the settings.

So now I'm paranoid and have reduced my Quest purchased by a good 50% at the very least. 25 minutes is just not nearly enough for the majority of VR games (25, because I won't risk going over 30 and be denied). It's the reason I haven't bought Arizona and many others lately.

Case in point, and the reason I'm asking for you guys' opinion:

The Path of The Warrior

Did anybody else here bought it besides myself? Do the other levels after the first one introduce more interesting gameplay gimmicks? There are no difficulty options and the AI on lvl1 is braindead, zero challenge whatsover, the move set is paper thin and as far as I'm aware you can't block (or dodge properly) which feels so unnatural... what's there is fantastic, can't believe how well they translated 2D brawler gameplay to VR, interaction and weapons are just great, but it still miss something to make it more than something you have your friends have fun with for 15 minutes, I saw no game.

I've bought DEATH LAP and decided to keep it because it *could* become great with more content and a bit more polish but one gamble is enough for today (you can barely start the game and finish the 2 tutorials and maybe a quick race in 25 minutes), I'd welcome your opinion to decide if I should refund Streets of R... ehmm, PotW, or keep it. Does it get better? Is there a content roadmap?

Btw, I have my eyes on Espire 1. It seems incredible and the devs are pushing out updates at crazy pace.

Ever since finding a huge open space near my house to play I feel like my experience with the Quest and untethered VR has improved 10 folds... it's mind blowing playing with full on "room" scale, really night and day difference from my 3x3m setup.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
When did the rules change? I can see why they changed it though. Two hours is enough time to finish a lot of VR games and I know people on reddit would proudly admit to abusing the system. 30 minutes is a bit too short though so I think they over corrected. One hour seems like a good amount of time to decide if a game is worth keeping.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

NOOOOOOOO I MISSED THIS 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

When did the rules change? I can see why they changed it though. Two hours is enough time to finish a lot of VR games and I know people on reddit would proudly admit to abusing the system. 30 minutes is a bit too short though so I think they over corrected. One hour seems like a good amount of time to decide if a game is worth keeping.

Dunno when exactly, I think around early December? 2 hours was too much, 1 hour would be perfect.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I wouldn't have any problems with one hour either. Seems like a fair compromise and would help encourage development on things that were approximately 2 hours long (and subject to refund abuse).

I heard the Go was always 30 minutes. And yet they decided to initially go with 2 hours for Quest. Did they also change the Rift refund window? On the one hand, they really need to match Steam. On the other hand, a lot of games are cross-buy.

2 hour refund windows are a big reason I feel safe buying on Steam. I've never really liked the refund system on Oculus (wish refunds could just go into store credit rather than go through Paypal via a pre-paid debit card that I use for these type of things). Was was already very cautious, because I wasn't sure things would go smoothly with a refund through them.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So I was out of the loop on the experimental branches of ALVR worked on by others and recently tried it with a few titles and while the IQ isn't as nice as Virtual Desktop or Link the latency is a cut above those on my machine for certain titles and the stuttering issues I have with Pavlov (on both Link and VD) are completely gone, I can actually play this thing properly now :P

It is buttery smooth for me and highly recommend others giving it a shot if you've been having any stuttering in things like Pavlov (the PC version obviously). You can get the latest experimental release here: https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Not sure about the refund window. In the uk I played AS for a solid hour before refunding it. That was earlier this month.

Think the 30 min window is still for go only.

Nothing on reddit about any refund policy changes.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Received my HTC Deluxe Audio Strap and had time to install it on my Quest. WoW...What a difference in comfort and weight distribution. I really like how it feels. I am not 100% sold on the speakers on the DAS. They do sound better but when they are covering my ears they get warm (my ears) really fast). Still messing with that part though. But overall comfort and much reduced pressure on my face is a big plus. I am finding that looking for the sweet spot is a little longer...but after fiddling with it more I found the perfect position and it just felt great. Is it worth the $100, not sure...but I only had about 30 minutes of game play since I started late putting it together and had to be up early for work. Will do some more testing in the next few days but yeah it is a lot more comfortable.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Received my HTC Deluxe Audio Strap and had time to install it on my Quest. WoW...What a difference in comfort and weight distribution. I really like how it feels. I am not 100% sold on the speakers on the DAS. They do sound better but when they are covering my ears they get warm (my ears) really fast). Still messing with that part though. But overall comfort and much reduced pressure on my face is a big plus. I am finding that looking for the sweet spot is a little longer...but after fiddling with it more I found the perfect position and it just felt great. Is it worth the $100, not sure...but I only had about 30 minutes of game play since I started late putting it together and had to be up early for work. Will do some more testing in the next few days but yeah it is a lot more comfortable.
What guide did you follow to install it or did you just wing it?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So I was out of the loop on the experimental branches of ALVR worked on by others and recently tried it with a few titles and while the IQ isn't as nice as Virtual Desktop or Link the latency is a cut above those on my machine for certain titles and the stuttering issues I have with Pavlov (on both Link and VD) are completely gone, I can actually play this thing properly now :P

It is buttery smooth for me and highly recommend others giving it a shot if you've been having any stuttering in things like Pavlov (the PC version obviously). You can get the latest experimental release here: https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases

Surely this can't be correct. You think the latency is better than even Link? To me there's an obvious difference in the latency between VD and Link (and I'm getting best case scenario latency with VD). I would be absolutely ecstatic with wireless latency that was as good as Link.

I was pretty meh on the sound of the speakers when I first got mine. I'm not sure if I just got used to them or they required a break-in period, but I really like the sound on them now. It doesn't solve your heat issue, just thought it was interesting how my opinion on the sound quality changed over time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine yesterday, a new PC is ordered as well.
Bought Pistol Whip and Beat Saber and both games are amazing.
I already own PSVR and the picture quality is way better on Oculus. The headset itself isn't as comfortable to wear and the straps feel kinda cheap compared to the PSVR headset though.

It presses on your face instead of just hanging the glasses before your head. It's way smaller and I think also lighter than PSVR, so that's a plus. And you get used to it rather quickly.

Another advantage over PSVR is the wireless solution. It really is a game-changer for more active games when you have no cables around. I hope future PS and PC headsets go wireless as well. Too bad only a few games are actually on the Quest, you still need a PC for the more demanding Rift and Steam games :-/

Another obvious advantage over PSVR is the controller. No analogue sticks on the move controllers always felt kinda shitty and here it's all in the box.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

When did you order? I ordered from the vive store on the 17th, and it hasn't shipped yet.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has experience with the kiwi headstrap?

The overall comfort is not really bothering me but I'm curious...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have done it, just how much more comfortable is it with the DAS? I preordered one, but is it actually worth $100?

I honestly wasn't that impressed by itself. It was the 200 gram counter-weight that turned me into a believer. For comparison, I also wasn't impressed with a counter-weight on the stock strap. But counter-weight + DAS did the trick for me. I ordered the Quest from Amazon and was going to return it if I couldn't mod it into something comfortable. The way I have it now, though, is extremely comfortable for me. My unmodded Vive is horrible compared to my Quest.