• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVBP4JD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it seems to work decently. The nose area blocks more sight to I actually take it off most of the time because I use that nose area to set up my area once the head set is on lol.

my more commonly used solution was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQOLW3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which isn't perfect but keeps some sweat off, and puts some cushion on the front of your forehead which helps with the pressure of the headset for my SO.

I'm sure someone else has better solutions.

I also got https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-vr-cover/ but I haven't had much luck with them. I can't get the strap around the nose to stay in place properly and it rubs up against my nose annoyingly.

Thanks! I ordered the silicone one. My 13yo is having a sleepover on Saturday, and I wanted something easy to clean.

Question for anyone using Quest Link... Is there any advantage to buying games from the Oculus store versus Steam, specifically for ones that will never be cross-buy like Asgard's Wrath. Like Audica I'll get from the Oculus store because it's going to be cross-buy and custom songs work on the Oculus store version, but for others is there any "ease of use" that I need to worry about with Quest Link when using SteamVR?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot get games to download through the Oculus store on my desktop. Bought asgard's wrath. Took forever to download, and then gave me an error saying my antivirus blocked it. I don't have an antivirus. Tried again and after a couple of errors it just generically said it failed to install.

Cool.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I ordered the silicone one. My 13yo is having a sleepover on Saturday, and I wanted something easy to clean.

Question for anyone using Quest Link... Is there any advantage to buying games from the Oculus store versus Steam, specifically for ones that will never be cross-buy like Asgard's Wrath. Like Audica I'll get from the Oculus store because it's going to be cross-buy and custom songs work on the Oculus store version, but for others is there any "ease of use" that I need to worry about with Quest Link when using SteamVR?
Asgard's a bad example because it's one that will never hit steam :P
As for other games, not really. For most games you can even force it to launch as an oculus game if you set launch options.
that being said it's not impossible some games may run better as an oculus version but they would be rather rare.
I cannot get games to download through the Oculus store on my desktop. Bought asgard's wrath. Took forever to download, and then gave me an error saying my antivirus blocked it. I don't have an antivirus. Tried again and after a couple of errors it just generically said it failed to install.

Cool.
I can't help with the error, but if you aren't installing Asgard's Wrath to an SSD (and it's like 130-160gb) then you may not want to even bother with it. Load times are horrible on a traditional hard drive with that game.

as for antivirus, you should have windows defender if you are on windows 10, but it shouldn't go after asgard's wrath.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
just got my link. it's packaged nicely, and the cord feels roughly the same weight as my 10ft cord in general, but feels a bit lighter when attached to my headset.

as for how it compares. I'm the wrong person to ask :P but at the very least I loaded right in without stuttering which only happens about 10% of the time with my other cable. usually I need to wait a few seconds for the oculus environment to load (though it's been better since the last update since it now sends you to just a white room while things load in the background instead of straight to the VR room)

nice part is it comes with a clip that attaches to your strap to run the wire across your head and behind you.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
can't help with the error, but if you aren't installing Asgard's Wrath to an SSD (and it's like 130-160gb) then you may not want to even bother with it. Load times are horrible on a traditional hard drive with that game.

as for antivirus, you should have windows defender if you are on windows 10, but it shouldn't go after asgard's wrath.

I just put in for a refund. I bought Star Trek from fanatical for $11 and it installed just fine. So I don't know what is up with Asgard refusing to work. Fuck it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Vive infinity port has an offer giving 3 games for free to keep if you do a trial sub - moss, audica and one other. does that work on quest via link?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a Rift S and not Quest, but this seems to be the most popular VR thread so...

Is it normal for the periphery to be a bit out of focus versus the center area? It's not a huge deal and not super blurry, but I noticed in Desktop VR mode, the text in the periphery blurs out a bit.

Jan 9, 2018
I have a Rift S and not Quest, but this seems to be the most popular VR thread so...

Is it normal for the periphery to be a bit out of focus versus the center area? It's not a huge deal and not super blurry, but I noticed in Desktop VR mode, the text in the periphery blurs out a bit.
I think is some developing technique to reduce the resolution of the areas that don't need to be on focus so it can increase the fps. Not an expert so not sure how that works.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I noticed that Apollo 11 is part of the Cross Buy list of games between Quest and Rift (that list is surprisingly difficult to find btw... I always end up going through google everytime...anyway).

Anybody knows which games you actually get on the Rift if you buy it on the Quest store? There's a standard Apollo 11 and an HD one on the Rift store and the image of the one I linked actually says "Apollo 11 | Quest"...

May 30, 2018
Hey guys, I noticed that Apollo 11 is part of the Cross Buy list of games between Quest and Rift (that list is surprisingly difficult to find btw... I always end up going through google everytime...anyway).

Anybody knows which games you actually get on the Rift if you buy it on the Quest store? There's a standard Apollo 11 and an HD one on the Rift store and the image of the one I linked actually says "Apollo 11 | Quest"...
this should help! https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/crossbuy

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Got a quest at Christmas and played through the first two episodes of Vader Immortal. Lot of fun but very guided.

Most of what I'm thinking through it is that someone needs to mod Jedi Outcast for this thing.

Beat Saber and Superhot VR are awesome.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had my first go at VR with my Oculus headset. First impressions with Asgard's Wrath and I'm not impressed. Part of is the SDE and the blurred distant visuals leaving much to be desired, the rest is the janky combat I just can't seem to cope with. I don't have a whole lot of room to move around in, so, that definitely exacerbates the problem. The game itself just feels like a generic mash of Skyrim and God of War, and I'm not too fond of either of those games. No big deal, it came free with the headset.

Any other highly recommended story driven games? I prefer something with a lot of VR interaction, AW just felt like a Wii game at times.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017

Buying from steam is preferable for me, mostly due to it not being locked-in to a specific brand's headset. I like that I have the option of moving to a new Valve VR Index or whatever in the future. I do buy Quest and cross-buy games on the oculus store as well though.

Jan 9, 2018
Any tip on how to make the link work? I got my Quest connected to my computer and all the checks on the Oculus app appear green, but once I tried to launch a rift game "there is an error with the headset" and a black screen appears and never goes beyond that.

It might be my laptop has an nvidia gtx 1060? (desktop version seems supported but maybe not the laptop version?)

I'll provably end buying a new PC at some point next year so if that's the case is OK

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Vive infinity port has an offer giving 3 games for free to keep if you do a trial sub - moss, audica and one other. does that work on quest via link?
All i see is getting 3 games if you sign up for a year of it.
The vive infinity port should work via link as it's treated like a rift s but I haven't personally tested it.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Any tip on how to make the link work? I got my Quest connected to my computer and all the checks on the Oculus app appear green, but once I tried to launch a rift game "there is an error with the headset" and a black screen appears and never goes beyond that.

It might be my laptop has an nvidia gtx 1060? (desktop version seems supported but maybe not the laptop version?)

I'll provably end buying a new PC at some point next year so if that's the case is OK

If you have a 1060M, it's not supported:

Requirements to use Meta Quest Link

If you'd like to use Meta Quest Link to connect your Meta Quest headset to a Windows PC, start by reviewing these compatibility requirements.

But folks have said it works:

Most likely an issue with a usb port. Probably better off asking on the quest subreddit or the oculus forums.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nvidia docs say 1060M has the full NVENC silicon of the 1060 FYI. I don't think the GPU is the problem. I may test this weekend.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So I maybe figured out how to deal with my Link USB port issues?

I applied Quest and app updates, and my situation was the same as last time I tried Link: My cable only showed a green check when plugged into my case's USB 3.0 ports, but the Quest would keep losing video signal. Plugging into my motherboard's 3.0 or 3.1 gen2 ports would just give a red X in the Oculus app. But then I tried hooking up a cheap USB 3.0 hub to a rear 3.0 port and connecting my cable to that. This seemed to work? I'll have to try it again to make sure this "fix" is repeatable, but was able to uses it uninterrupted for like 20 minutes or more. (Connected to my case's port, I couldn't make it to character creation in Skyrim VR without losing signal.)

Weird that a hub would make things better, not worse.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, really? I JUST bought Audica. Oh well, at least it'll be crossbuy on Quest.
again. I haven't seen anything about doing a trial for that, but instead signing up for a year of the service which would be like $100.

if there is actually a deal like that though if you haven't played more than 2 hours of audica and bought it in the last 2 weeks you can refund it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I've tried ALVR, Nolo, VRidge, and Virtual Desktop for PCVR-streaming and Virtual Desktop is head-and-shoulders above the rest. It is techno-wizardry how well it works.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
just got my link. it's packaged nicely, and the cord feels roughly the same weight as my 10ft cord in general, but feels a bit lighter when attached to my headset.

as for how it compares. I'm the wrong person to ask :P but at the very least I loaded right in without stuttering which only happens about 10% of the time with my other cable. usually I need to wait a few seconds for the oculus environment to load (though it's been better since the last update since it now sends you to just a white room while things load in the background instead of straight to the VR room)

nice part is it comes with a clip that attaches to your strap to run the wire across your head and behind you.
That is nice.

Hopefully mine ships soon, even if I enjoyed the $10 of store credit they gave me for the shipping delay.

My current cable dumps irregularly and I'm hoping this one won't. I was having more drops on a different USB port (like I couldn't get into Budget Cuts gameplay as it would dump on the loading screen every time) but they still happen. Seems less common if I'm playing sat down but that could be placebo. I'm hoping the official cable holds up fine (and I'll be using the link port on my RTX which I hear is more reliable anyway).

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't invested in a Link cable yet because I'll just get Index controllers for my wireless Vive.

I'm curious though- what's SteamVR's roomscale Chaperone boundary setup process like for Quest users? I imagine it either auto-transfers the Guardian setup, or you have to walk around the room holding the HMD, keeping the controller within line of sight.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I haven't invested in a Link cable yet because I'll just get Index controllers for my wireless Vive.

I'm curious though- what's SteamVR's roomscale Chaperone boundary setup process like for Quest users? I imagine it either auto-transfers the Guardian setup, or you have to walk around the room holding the HMD, keeping the controller within line of sight.
It simply auto transfers the guardian boundry, yeah. In fact, the quest seems to handle the overlay on the headset side. I know this, cause when it's crashed on me (you end up with a frozen image suspended in the direction you were looking) the boundary still overlays.

For steam vr, you just turn off the chaperone walls in that, do a basic setup and let the Quest handle things.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It simply auto transfers the guardian boundry, yeah. In fact, the quest seems to handle the overlay on the headset side. I know this, cause when it's crashed on me (you end up with a frozen image suspended in the direction you were looking) the boundary still overlays.

For steam vr, you just turn off the chaperone walls in that, do a basic setup and let the Quest handle things.
That's nice. Thanks for clarifying!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got my Quest Link in the mail. Some notes.

1) Inch for inch it is only a hair lighter than the 10' cables. 218 grams for the 5m optical versus 157 grams for the 10 foot standard. Of course, it's probably a fair deal lighter than a 5m all-copper one would be.
2) It is a LOT more flexible than the 10' cables. This is the best feature.
3) It works flawlessly plugged directly into the USB-C 3.0 port on my motherboard.
4) It does not work with my active extension cable, but that's likely because of the adapter I'm using to couple them. If you know of one that works, please post it! I just ordered this one to try out.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Do crossbuy games also share save games?

Thinking about maybe grabbing Pistol Whip and if the saves are also cross platform then I might pick it up on the Quest instead of Steam...

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Do crossbuy games also share save games?

Thinking about maybe grabbing Pistol Whip and if the saves are also cross platform then I might pick it up on the Quest instead of Steam...
Unfortunately not. It is my number one desired features. High scores are synced so Pistol Whip you can enjoy either way right now (since all the content is unlocked from the beginning at the moment) , but anything with level on level progression like the climb or Robo recall you are out of luck.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not. It is my number one desired features. High scores are synced so Pistol Whip you can enjoy either way right now (since all the content is unlocked from the beginning at the moment) , but anything with level on level progression like the climb or Robo recall you are out of luck.
Ah bummer, thanks.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I will also note don't forget to check both the rift and quest store if they are cross buy.
snyth riders is 25% off at $15 for the rift, but seemingly full price at $17 for the quest but is cross buy so you can get it for slightly cheaper by buying the rift version.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Ok.... Everyone need to buy Thrill of the Fight, like, now. OMG that is one amazing game. And a fucking great workout, too!

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
My Link got delayed, so I ended up buying Virtual Desktop with my $20 credit and trying out the SteamVR mode 😂 I did get a bit of stuttering at times but it worked amazingly well overall.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ok.... Everyone need to buy Thrill of the Fight, like, now. OMG that is one amazing game. And a fucking great workout, too!
I REFUSE!!!!!!!!
gGvX8rf.png

as I bought it 4 days ago

My Link got delayed, so I ended up buying Virtual Desktop with my $20 credit and trying out the SteamVR mode 😂 I did get a bit of stuttering at times but it worked amazingly well overall.
VD in general works great. it adds a very tiny bit of lag which for most games doesn't matter at all.
the only game I own that it's an issue at all is beat saber, any of the others I've tried including until you fall it's fine as you adjust just fine to it and don't notice it after 30 seconds lol.

Piercedveil

Oct 25, 2017
VD in general works great. it adds a very tiny bit of lag which for most games doesn't matter at all.
the only game I own that it's an issue at all is beat saber, any of the others I've tried including until you fall it's fine as you adjust just fine to it and don't notice it after 30 seconds lol.

I assume my minor stuttering issues will likely disappear when I get my Link. I also thought Skyrim VR seemed a bit more fuzzy than native Quest games I have been playing and wasn't sure if that was due to the stream or it is just the way Skyrim looks on the Quest. There are definitely a lot more distant objects than anything else I have played so far.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I will also note don't forget to check both the rift and quest store if they are cross buy.
snyth riders is 25% off at $15 for the rift, but seemingly full price at $17 for the quest but is cross buy so you can get it for slightly cheaper by buying the rift version.
thanks, got it - not as good as the other rhythm games { Pistol Whip, Audica etc.) but still fun and cross buy at cheap price.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, got it - not as good as the other rhythm games { Pistol Whip, Audica etc.) but still fun and cross buy at cheap price.
I'll likely pick up audica the first time it goes on sale (especially since it should support cross buy) but synth riders will have a place for me. My shoulder sometimes hurts from work, so synth riders requires less shoulder movemement than beat saber. plus worst case I can kid of just feel like it's like a 30 song pack for $15 which isn't bad.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a bunch of games. Whew. Some for link play.

Audica
Lone Echo
Asgard's Wrath
Pistol Whip
Racket: NX
Vader Immortal Ep. 2 & 3
Until You Fall
Box VR
Shadow Point

It's VR time!

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
My link cable has shipped and is due to arrive on Monday. Played a bunch of stuff with friends last night, both natively and using my cheap USB 3 cable it didn't crap out on us but it's definitely a pain for Budget Cuts.

Not sure what people enjoyed the most but we finally played the Quest version of Affected which I hadn't got to yet. It's still not really a game, but it's got a tiny bit more interactivity now (you open doors, you have hands etc), and as is often the case with this stuff its impressive how the visuals hold up. They've completely reworked it for the Quest so while it has some of the classic moments, most of the graphics looked new. Fair play to them.

Everyone came away impressed by native and link. I think a couple of people are going to be annoyed that the Quest is hard to find right now.

2020 is going to be a banner year for VR without doubt.

When I get my link I plan on playing a good deal more budget cuts. That game is phenomenal. I understand the game balance is way off but it's one of the most immersive games I've tried yet.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I've finally spent some more time with RacketNX and it's hilarious how much differently this plays vs my Vive version. No wonder I never played it. I used to spin right, then left to try and keep the chord from getting crazy. I was spinning so much in one direction, I almost lost my balance a couple of times. It's like you're cheating with how easy it is to track the ball and plan your attack.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This page is super useful, even if not complete:

Steam Games with Native Oculus Support

To wit, I'm passing on Battlezone on Steam right now despite the deep discount. Why? Because it's on the shame list; there's no native Oculus support on the Steam version despite the fact that there's an Oculus store version. This means your only choice for Link play is via SteamVR which reduces performance. Hopefully the Oculus store version of Battlezone goes on sale at some point.

The list is really useful for people like me who bought a bunch of SteamVR games this year because of deep discounts. Most of them like Talos Principle and Budget Cuts *do* offer native Oculus support.

Color me frustrated: Dirt Rally 2.0 is in the Oculus store and at the same discount as Steam but missing the DLC of the Steam version! This is another issue. I may buy the Steam version since they added native Oculus support recently. Anyone have thoughts on the game? I know it makes some folks motion sick...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This page is super useful, even if not complete:

Steam Games with Native Oculus Support

To wit, I'm passing on Battlezone on Steam right now despite the deep discount. Why? Because it's on the shame list; there's no native Oculus support on the Steam version despite the fact that there's an Oculus store version. This means your only choice for Link play is via SteamVR which reduces performance. Hopefully the Oculus store version of Battlezone goes on sale at some point.

The list is really useful for people like me who bought a bunch of SteamVR games this year because of deep discounts. Most of them like Talos Principle and Budget Cuts *do* offer native Oculus support.

Color me frustrated: Dirt Rally 2.0 is in the Oculus store and at the same discount as Steam but missing the DLC of the Steam version! This is another issue. I may buy the Steam version since they added native Oculus support recently. Anyone have thoughts on the game? I know it makes some folks motion sick...

It's been a while since I played Battlezone, but I remember it being really performant. Even if there is a bit of a hit, I can't imagine you'd have any issues running it. I'd definitely prefer the flexibility of Steam if I were buying it today.

Polybius is a crazy example of what you're talking about, though. The game was Oculus exclusive on Steam. Then when they finally add SteamVR support, they remove the Oculus support. Nuts. How hard is it to do a conditional check at launch and then run the appropriate SDK. What possessed them to remove the Oculus SDK stuff. They really should just switch to Unity. It would solve so much for them and their games wouldn't push the engine anyways.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I've finally spent some more time with RacketNX and it's hilarious how much differently this plays vs my Vive version. No wonder I never played it. I used to spin right, then left to try and keep the chord from getting crazy. I was spinning so much in one direction, I almost lost my balance a couple of times. It's like you're cheating with how easy it is to track the ball and plan your attack.
God I can't imagine it with a wire. I first played it on a friend's wireless Vive setup. It's a great example of a game that shines untethered.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
God I can't imagine it with a wire. I first played it on a friend's wireless Vive setup. It's a great example of a game that shines untethered.
yeah when I tried out racket nx I was so glad I bought it on the rift/quest version so I could play it wirelessly.

that being said VD would likely work well enough with the game to play it streaming but still :P

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
yeah when I tried out racket nx I was so glad I bought it on the rift/quest version so I could play it wirelessly.

that being said VD would likely work well enough with the game to play it streaming but still :P

I wasn't impressed by that method. Even with the latest version of VD. The native Quest version is definitely a much better experience vs Steam with VD streaming. And this is with a wired AP hooked up to my PC and no other wireless devices connected to it. It's a game that really plays better without that lag.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Racket Fury seems pretty cool. I bought Eleven Tennis way back when for the Vive (on sale for 2.50), but could never really get into it. It was a little too hardcore for me. I like that I can switch to arcade physics in Racket Fury. Maybe if I get good, I'll switch to simulation. But I like the option of being able to suck a little and still feel good about myself.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Highly recommend everyone to grab Audica when it launches on Quest. Bought on the Oculus store to play via link since it's confirmed to be cross buy and I'm having a BLAST. It's like Beat Saber, but more challenging.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Highly recommend everyone to grab Audica when it launches on Quest. Bought on the Oculus store to play via link since it's confirmed to be cross buy and I'm having a BLAST. It's like Beat Saber, but more challenging.
Yeah I got it off Steam, playing with link cable it's so fun, if a bit difficult. Love that it can be played seated.