• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I still haven't picked up Journey of the Gods and I've yet to look into too many sideloaded games/apps, but the Quest has definitely slowed way down for me, I went from using it daily for the first couple weeks to not touching it at all. Pretty much all of the big games I've played on it were games I had already played extensively on PSVR, and while they're all a significantly better experience on Quest, the "novelty" of that eventually wore off.

I need to start sideloading some Beat Saber custom stuff, maybe that'll get me using it frequently again. Otherwise, Republique is the only thing on the horizon that I'm really looking forward to. I hope it's not too long until we start seeing some more ports of non-PSVR stuff.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you've not done beat Saber custom songs (and you like beat Saber) that'll definitely add legs to the game. I don't think I play any of the standard songs

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If you've not done beat Saber custom songs (and you like beat Saber) that'll definitely add legs to the game. I don't think I play any of the standard songs
I still play plenty of the standard songs, but I also do a bit of writing and thus play some of the regular songs on hard when I want to just move around while plotting :P

that being said my warm up and end songs are both custom.

I almost always end on

my current high score on it is 544k or so (set tonight :P)

in other thoughts despite my headset being off the last few days apparently my controllers weren't. they each ate a brand new AA in 3 days :P

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely wait for a chance at a summer sale. I tried the Space Pirate Trainer demo and found it highly enjoyable, so hopefully that goes on sale. I played Thumper on PSVR, so I think the family will like that, too, since Beat Saber is a big hit.

Unfortunately, I'm a big dude (6' 2") with long arms even for my height and even when I clear out the dining room, my arms hit the guardian a lot., which is a bit distracting. Still, it's magic to walk out of the VR environment and into my kitchen.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wish the guardian for the seated experience was a bit bigger. Even with games like I expect you to die or Moss I hit it a lot.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Drop dead is extremely fun on the quest. It reminds me of house of the dead on the arcade

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finally got everything done so I can use Sidequest. So cool and easy to add custom songs to Beat Saber, which to be honest will probably be my main use.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Broke my ankle last week so, due to a combination of not being able to use it and also having medical bills, I'm selling my 64gb Quest on swappa in anyone is interested.

Oof. Bad week!

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin has been announced to come to the Quest? Before Psychonauts 2, I would really like to play that on the Quest. I know it's out on Rift, but I wasn't sure if there was talk of bringing that one to the Quest.

Beesly

Dec 12, 2017
Is there a way to make the pointer controller be the left one? I'm left handed and it is not comfortable trying to type etc using my right hand (usually just hold the right controller with my left hand)

Edit: apparently you just click the trigger with the left one, which I swear I've tried before but oh well, at least it is working now.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know if Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin has been announced to come to the Quest? Before Psychonauts 2, I would really like to play that on the Quest. I know it's out on Rift, but I wasn't sure if there was talk of bringing that one to the Quest.

I mean it's still not on anything but PSVR. But it would be smart of Microsoft to put it on everything before Psychonauts 2 if the exclusivity has expired. They have the resources to farm out ports.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
My Quest has finally shipped last friday and it's supposed to arrive on Tuesday but I'm hoping it'll actually arrive tomorrow and destroy my chances of adequately studying for my final hahaha.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a recipe for success hahaha.
It's what I commonly do while working on stuff. I will work on stuff for like 30-60 minutes and then take 30 minutes to play beat saber to get up and moving and my blood flowing again and rinse and repeat for like 4 hours lol.

if I need to think more I do hard, and if I want to not be able to think I do expert and fail half the songs :P

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
On the phone app or the quest? I don't see it on the quest.
Both. You need the phone app (connected to the Quest) to enable developer mode in its settings, that adds a developer menu to the headset. Then on the headset, if you go to Settings->See All, there is a Developer menu, which by default only has one option, to disable Guardian (and due to safety, that option does not get saved).

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The guardian override is in the headset settings, in the Developer sub-section if I recall correctly.

Yep, it's the only option under that Developer menu. Make sure you're looking at Developer and not Guardian settings.

On another note, I did Virtual Desktop streaming to get Rez Infinite // Area X working last night. Goddamn that was absolutely incredible; I wish there was more like it. The experience is only about a 15 minute long game, similar to older Rez levels but is way more graphically intense.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I still play plenty of the standard songs, but I also do a bit of writing and thus play some of the regular songs on hard when I want to just move around while plotting :P

that being said my warm up and end songs are both custom.

I almost always end on

my current high score on it is 544k or so (set tonight :P)

in other thoughts despite my headset being off the last few days apparently my controllers weren't. they each ate a brand new AA in 3 days :P

thats really nice - will have to add it to my list.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this thread on r/oculusquest, the Oculus summer sale starts tommorrow (same as the Steam summer sale) apparently. Don't know how OP in that Reddit threads knows though, but googling the past, Oculus summer sales have been in june.

I don't think any Quest only games will be available on sale, but people should look after games that are cross-buy.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
According to this thread on r/oculusquest, the Oculus summer sale starts tommorrow (same as the Steam summer sale) apparently. Don't know how OP in that Reddit threads knows though, but googling the past, Oculus summer sales have been in june.

I don't think any Quest only games will be available on sale, but people should look after games that are cross-buy.

is there a list of cross buy? Moss, Robo recall, I expect you to die, super hot are some i'm Interested in

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It's what I commonly do while working on stuff. I will work on stuff for like 30-60 minutes and then take 30 minutes to play beat saber to get up and moving and my blood flowing again and rinse and repeat for like 4 hours lol.

if I need to think more I do hard, and if I want to not be able to think I do expert and fail half the songs :P

It doesn't seem like I'll get the chance to test out your method hahaha. It's definitely good to take breaks and exercise to clear out your brain tho.

My Quest is arriving tomorrow so that's perfect timing.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
So, is there anyway to go back and play some of the earlier Jedi Dojo levels in Vader Immortal? I'd love for other people to try it, but starting them on level 12 isn't really fair.

(I did a Google search and came up with nothing.)

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So, is there anyway to go back and play some of the earlier Jedi Dojo levels in Vader Immortal? I'd love for other people to try it, but starting them on level 12 isn't really fair.

(I did a Google search and came up with nothing.)
I thought you could select any level? I'm only on level 10 though as I haven't played it lately but I did go back and try to 3 star earlier levels.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
is there a list of cross buy? Moss, Robo recall, I expect you to die, super hot are some i'm Interested in
Of those, I believe Robo Recall is the only Oculus Store cross-buy (I think all Oculus-published games are cross-buy). One cross-buy game I would recommend, Space Pirate Trainer. It's an arcade-style wave-based shooter with waves of spaceships coming from the sky in front of you, with you holding laser pistols (which have like 6 different weapons you can choose from) and/or a shield. The game is addictive, and if you have enough room to dodge and duck it makes good use of room-scale.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of those, I believe Robo Recall is the only Oculus Store cross-buy (I think all Oculus-published games are cross-buy). One cross-buy game I would recommend, Space Pirate Trainer. It's an arcade-style wave-based shooter with waves of spaceships coming from the sky in front of you, with you holding laser pistols (which have like 6 different weapons you can choose from) and/or a shield. The game is addictive, and if you have enough room to dodge and duck it makes good use of room-scale.

It's an absolutely fantastic game and belongs in everyone's library IMO.

Absolutely killer tracking and accurate aiming and a wide variety of weapons with different trade-offs; the best players will be switching them depending on the situation. Wave shooters are obviously a popular type of game for VR implementation, this one is really well done.

I'm not good but add me ('beermonkey' with no space) for leaderboards.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

yeah its great - I double dipped at launch as it was only about £5. No brainer - arguably the first title everyone should buy based on price, accessibility, replayability, introduction for newcomers etc

Anyone know if dreadhalls GearVR version works on quest? I had set up the Nox VM to download some of my purchases (eg gun club which works ok) but I don't own dreadhalls so I wanted to check before paying for it

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I thought 'Twilight Garden' was available for Moss at Quest launch but it seems like it just released today:

That new enemy type looks fun. And shooting projectiles with your sword.

This was already on Quest, I played through on release on Quest and played this content (it was probably some of the best stuff in the game in my opinion).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 'Twilight Garden' was available for Moss at Quest launch but it seems like it just released today:

That new enemy type looks fun. And shooting projectiles with your sword.

hmmmm it's not cross buy from what I see...
to get it on quest... or to get it on PC and hope my streaming works well enough with it since it's not super actiony.

This was already on Quest, I played through on release on Quest and played this content (it was probably some of the best stuff in the game in my opinion).
weird it's on sale on the quest as well then.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok moss 30% off I probably bite. Waiting on sales for Robo recall, I expect you to die and maybe super hot triple dip

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I finally got my VR headset and I plunged on Vader Immortal because there was no demo. Me and my friend are taking turns at the dojo right now and we're having a blast. I'm hesitant to buy games because I'm waiting on a summer sale hahaha.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So no sign of oculus summer sale? Or any crossbuy games on sale?
So I finally got my VR headset and I plunged on Vader Immortal because there was no demo. Me and my friend are taking turns at the dojo right now and we're having a blast. I'm hesitant to buy games because I'm waiting on a summer sale hahaha.
It has to be soon based on past years. The Oculus summer sale has always been around the end of June.

Someone on reddit posted that the Moss sale was mistakenly started early which is why they put it back to full price so maybe the sale will start later this week? The post said that Moss will go back on sale and last a few days.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's a rumor of the sale starting Friday. Who knows. I'll buy some cross-buy games for sure, holding off for now.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
here's what it looks like if you don't own it

and this is mostly being done so people who are skimming the thread can see it's on sale :P

And, apparently, the sale was a mistake. Polyarc was all ready for it, but Oculus did not want it on sale for the Quest. I'm glad I grabbed it before the sale was revoked. It's been pretty magical so far.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
And, apparently, the sale was a mistake. Polyarc was all ready for it, but Oculus did not want it on sale for the Quest. I'm glad I grabbed it before the sale was revoked. It's been pretty magical so far.

its still on sale for the rift. So maybe we won't get quest games in the summer sale except for cross-buy (which isn't much). Might pick up robo recall if they discount it

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I was worried it was just a mistake so I didn't give my wife much time to decide if she wanted it or not. I guess I will kill the picture then

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just got my quest last week, and this thing is absolutely incredible. I know all of you already know this, but good lord going from box to setup to playing in under 10 minutes was a revelation.

I really like my PSVR, but I'm getting ready to sell it now and I had to chuckle to myself as I was disconnecting it from my PS4 because of how convoluted all the connections are.

SUPERHOT VR is a revelation. I played the "2D" version on Xbox and knew the VR version was completely different, and I knew on the Quest they designed the game to take full advantage of how everything is untethered and such, but I had no idea just how utterly engaging the game would be. Even compared to a Rift or Vive, the Quest is something else. Ducking behind cover, casually walking around without worrying about wires getting in the way, effortlessly dual-wielding, and on and on. I seriously cannot believe that I got all of this cleanly packaged together in a $400 bundle.

Some general questions I'm starting to have now that I'm settling in:
  • Netflix VR seems really low resolution. I only have a 1080p package but the video quality in the app seems much lower than I get on my TV. Known issue?

• I'm going to start toying around with SideQuest and custom songs for Beat Saber, but has anyone catalogued their favorite apps and games to sideload? Favorite custom songs for Beat Saber?

• I used this tutorial to make it relatively easy to cast to my PC (I don't have a Chromecast) but am hoping for official casting support beyond the app/Chromecast soon. Has Oculus given any indication that's on their near-term backlog?

• What's a good site to look at - other than just this thread - to keep up to date on notable Oculus Quest news?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my quest last week, and this thing is absolutely incredible. I know all of you already know this, but good lord going from box to setup to playing in under 10 minutes was a revelation.

I really like my PSVR, but I'm getting ready to sell it now and I had to chuckle to myself as I was disconnecting it from my PS4 because of how convoluted all the connections are.

SUPERHOT VR is a revelation. I played the "2D" version on Xbox and knew the VR version was completely different, and I knew on the Quest they designed the game to take full advantage of how everything is untethered and such, but I had no idea just how utterly engaging the game would be. Even compared to a Rift or Vive, the Quest is something else. Ducking behind cover, casually walking around without worrying about wires getting in the way, effortlessly dual-wielding, and on and on. I seriously cannot believe that I got all of this cleanly packaged together in a $400 bundle.

Some general questions I'm starting to have now that I'm settling in:
  • Netflix VR seems really low resolution. I only have a 1080p package but the video quality in the app seems much lower than I get on my TV. Known issue?

• I'm going to start toying around with SideQuest and custom songs for Beat Saber, but has anyone catalogued their favorite apps and games to sideload? Favorite custom songs for Beat Saber?

• I used this tutorial to make it relatively easy to cast to my PC (I don't have a Chromecast) but am hoping for official casting support beyond the app/Chromecast soon. Has Oculus given any indication that's on their near-term backlog?

• What's a good site to look at - other than just this thread - to keep up to date on notable Oculus Quest news?

I dislike Reddit as much as the next person, but for VR, it really is the best source of news. Whether it be Quest/Vive/Index/whatever.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Finally started doing some custom Beat Saber stuff and I'm back to using my Quest daily. It really does get to be a decent workout on higher difficulties. (Kind of surprised by the audio quality for a lot of the custom songs, though, some real Napster-era stuff lol)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I have actually spent way to much time finding songs.

I would just link you my profile on a custom song sight but I think that technically would be like linking a rom site which is a big no no here.

So instead I will just link the song I linked earlier (expert only) which I really like and won't pop up on the top songs

and mention there were two major contests/events which have a ton of well mapped songs that basically make nice new packs for the game.

search "100k" and "[Anniversary]"

to be fair the game comes with a song from the 100k contest (the pop stars song :P)
and the dlc has a song from the anniversary (overkill riot)

oh I should also mention you may have to unlock your inner beast in order to find these songs >.>