• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I did my first refund:
Drop Dead: Dual Strike Edition
Played 1 hour and don't see myself ever wanting to get into again, mobile-exclusive FPSes seem better executed to me. It's decent because of VR, but that isn't enough for me at this point. If you are content starved, maybe?

Co-signed :(

I wanted a good shooter and there wasn't anything comparable really. It'll tide me over until Arizona sunshine. I quite like the way it feels to play

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of Zombie shooters, Sega and Namco have a goldmine of light gun IPs begging for VR installments. House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, Point Blank.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I did my first refund:
Drop Dead: Dual Strike Edition
Played 1 hour and don't see myself ever wanting to get into again, mobile-exclusive FPSes seem better executed to me. It's decent because of VR, but that isn't enough for me at this point. If you are content starved, maybe?

Co-signed :(
Next to Dead and Buried and RecRoom, Drop Dead is the most fun multiplayer I've had on the Quest yet. The horde mode is great.

Each to their own as they say!

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does the wizards have a good campaign? How long is it? And does it have better replayability than apex construct?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OK, I want to play in a darkened room, what' the best affordable IR lamp to cover about 10x10ft of floor? Is more than one needed?

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Does anyone know when Gravity Sketch is coming out and if it will be cross buy?

No idea I saw it recently pop up in the coming soon section. I am a week into experimenting with Tilt Brush it's a fun program but Gravity Sketch looks like a major upgrade, if jpeg import and the tool sets featured in the preview video make it to the Quest version it's very exciting.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Zombie shooters, Sega and Namco have a goldmine of light gun IPs begging for VR installments. House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, Point Blank.
Unfortunately, most of those would be bad ideas for VR. Games where the camera moves itself outside of the player's control are going to make lots of people sick, unless there's a good point of reference, like a vehicle cockpit.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, most of those would be bad ideas for VR. Games where the camera moves itself outside of the player's control are going to make lots of people sick, unless there's a good point of reference, like a vehicle cockpit.

Not talking about ports.

Talking about new installments built around VR for the most part, though you could do a straight port with Point Blank series.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe something like Until Dawn: Rush of Blood. I don't remember ever hearing about people getting sick from that and they even had elders playing it on the React Youtube channel with no issues.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if there's a standard term coined for it, but having the game dynamically reduce the FOV during artificial movement is an effective solution for nausea.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Give me a simple arcade cab frame like Warcade does and that'd be fine I think. Also relatively cheap as an emulator collection. If you wanted you could go a step further and do 3D/VR versions where you're inside the game but that'd obviously be a lot more expensive

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I don't know if there's a standard term coined for it, but having the game dynamically reduce the FOV during artificial movement is an effective solution for nausea.
I think people call it Tunnel vision? Usually its something like "comfort mode" in the options though but thats so vague

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The deluxe audio strap is definitely a worthwhile improvement for my face type. I will say, though, that it's pretty much mandatory to attach a counter-weight to the back. It was only after adding 200 grams of coins (velcro'd up) that it was able to tilt that weight off of the front and back to the back. Without the counter-weight attached to that rigid back, I wouldn't recommend spending the money on it. Thankfully counter-weights work much better with the deluxe audio strap's construction type.

It's nice not to have to constantly readjust the HMD for comfort relief. I know there are people out there who don't think comfort is an issue, but every video I've ever watched, the player is always constantly touching the device. That's all the proof I need to see to know it's a widespread issue.

Last edited:

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Wife wanted to get me one for fathers day but it was sold out. I have PSVR, and enjoy what I've played on it, but it's a hassle to setup and keep plugged in with my three year old around, so i don't use it much. I do have a decent PC as well, but it's tucked in the living room corner, so the idea of wire free Vr is what appeals to me.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is if i should redeem the coupon I was given for it or not, given that I have psvr. Anyone who owns both can chime in?

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Wife wanted to get me one for fathers day but it was sold out. I have PSVR, and enjoy what I've played on it, but it's a hassle to setup and keep plugged in with my three year old around, so i don't use it much. I do have a decent PC as well, but it's tucked in the living room corner, so the idea of wire free Vr is what appeals to me.

Guess what I'm trying to ask is if i should redeem the coupon I was given for it or not, given that I have psvr. Anyone who owns both can chime in?

I have both, And personally depends what games you prefer to enjoy in VR and time spent in VR. Quest is perfect for the games available on its store, Beat Sabre, Rec room, Superhot etc. But they was already available on PSVR so not sure If you already played them.

The resolution boost with better controls are a huge upgrade over PSVR, Plus you have a PC so you could sideload steamVR games too it.

I just find myself playing PSVR more because of the games on offer. Quest has games you throw on for 30mins and done, Visually not too bad but a tad below PSVR.

I wouldn't unless you really want wireless VR and are more than happy with the mini game type VR games. But if your gonna sideload your PC steam VR games then I would recommend it more than not.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't unless you really want wireless VR and are more than happy with the mini game type VR games. But if your gonna sideload your PC steam VR games then I would recommend it more than not.

I think you're right about this...right now. There are some longer experiences coming, but I've kinda felt (at least in the last year or so) that PSVR has some interesting games that I wish were on other platforms. The Quest is new and so it's software library really needs to be filled out. No doubt longer, more involved, stuff is coming, but it's not there yet. I don't use my Quest as often as I thought I would as the games I generally play aren't available for the Quest. That doesn't bother me since I can still play Beat Saber and my wife puts more time into it than I do. I want some RPGs, though. I haven't seen any announced recently, either. Probably gonna have to wait for a while before that niche gets filled in the current state of VR games. Still, at least streaming from the PC is an option if I wanted to go with Skyrim and the like.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I have both, And personally depends what games you prefer to enjoy in VR and time spent in VR. Quest is perfect for the games available on its store, Beat Sabre, Rec room, Superhot etc. But they was already available on PSVR so not sure If you already played them.

The resolution boost with better controls are a huge upgrade over PSVR, Plus you have a PC so you could sideload steamVR games too it.

I just find myself playing PSVR more because of the games on offer. Quest has games you throw on for 30mins and done, Visually not too bad but a tad below PSVR.

So for beat saber for example, to do custom songs I'd need to sideload, right? Do you regret getting the quest? It's really just the convenience of no wires or having to clear room in front of the TV that has me wanting it, but I'm also trying to be practical...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So for beat saber for example, to do custom songs I'd need to sideload, right? Do you regret getting the quest? It's really just the convenience of no wires or having to clear room in front of the TV that has me wanting it, but I'm also trying to be practical...
I use beat saber to exercise each day so i found it worthwhile to get the quest to have easier set up. Better tracking than psvr and custom songs. If you are doing that i think it's worth it. If not most likely not though super hot it's much better than p s4

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I use beat saber to exercise each day so i found it worthwhile to get the quest to have easier set up. Better tracking than psvr and custom songs. If you are doing that i think it's worth it. If not most likely not though super hot it's much better than p s4
Yeah beat saber exercise is what interests me too. Good to hear, thanks!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PSVR tracking is like a toy.

I still own and play my PSVR and will continue to do so, in fact I bought NMS recently just for PSVR as do I buy (seated, "exclusive" PSVR games digitally) to this day.

But it tracks like a toy and the Move controllers suck.

Signed, a PSVR consumer.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

I still own and play my PSVR and will continue to do so, in fact I bought NMS recently just for PSVR as do I buy (seated, "exclusive" PSVR games digitally to this day.

Signed, a PSVR consumer.
I would disagree with this.
A toy would be stuff like the headsets you put your phone in to get a vr experience.
The psvr is flawed, but for what it is it's quite decent.

I quite look forward to seeing what sony does building VR tech from the ground up with their next headset.

I have to imagine that it will be a wireless headset that streams from the ps5 which takes heavy inspiration from the quest though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I still own and play my PSVR and will continue to do so, in fact I bought NMS recently just for PSVR as do I buy (seated, "exclusive" PSVR games digitally to this day.

Signed, a PSVR consumer.

I have NMS on PS4. I'm still tempted to buy it on PC and stream to the quest for the increased quality - the pace of the game will help mask any issues with responsiveness but I've found virtual desktop pretty damn good so far.

Just a shame that game never drops in price. I guess they're going for the 'keep price high and add features to draw people in' route. thats the one thing stopping me double dipping.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just a shame that game never drops in price. I guess they're going for the 'keep price high and add features to draw people in' route. thats the one thing stopping me double dipping.

I think there was a sale or two I missed? I just gave up and bought it used, mint for like $20. I'm not one who hates used games de facto.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
according to steamsales.com, it occasionally drops from £40 to £20 for a couple of days, roughly every 6 weeks. Might be due soon

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Does Superhot not work with streaming SteamVR? I tried in virtual desktop and ALVR and in each case I can't move my hands in game at all. Arizona Sunshine seemed to work okay, though.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Last year, did Oculus put on a sale during the Summer? I'd love to pick up a few games without (further) breaking the bank.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Last year, did Oculus put on a sale during the Summer? I'd love to pick up a few games without (further) breaking the bank.

I would like to know that as well if there is a sale coming. There are a couple of games I really want to get (like I Expect you to Die, Apex Construct, Shadow Point, Tilt Brush), but I am waiting for now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Its tricky with it being so soon after launch. I have just bought shadow point and Apex construct so thats most of the titles I wanted. The rest are more opportunistic double dips - like Superhot VR or Job Simulator which I have on PCVR or PSVR and won't buy until a decent discount.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The real surprise is that nobody has leaked the date. We usually always know sales dates in advance.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're right about this...right now. There are some longer experiences coming, but I've kinda felt (at least in the last year or so) that PSVR has some interesting games that I wish were on other platforms. The Quest is new and so it's software library really needs to be filled out. No doubt longer, more involved, stuff is coming, but it's not there yet. I don't use my Quest as often as I thought I would as the games I generally play aren't available for the Quest. That doesn't bother me since I can still play Beat Saber and my wife puts more time into it than I do. I want some RPGs, though. I haven't seen any announced recently, either. Probably gonna have to wait for a while before that niche gets filled in the current state of VR games. Still, at least streaming from the PC is an option if I wanted to go with Skyrim and the like.

Yeah as of right now if it's you're first foray into VR then the Quest is the way to go for those shorter games, Fun games and to get you into VR wireless with awesome tracking, But if you have already got the PSVR then it's a harder sell if you are looking for RPG type games or the more fully fledged games, Because the games on Quest was already available beforehand anyway and once you have got Beat Sabre, Superhot then it's mini game esque whats left.

All in all going forward Quest 2 should be way more appealing, More power for those bigger games.

Yeah it's easy to sideload to be fair, Same with using virtual desktop with it etc. I don't regret it per se, I just don't use it because it now has no games that entice me in, But that varys, I'm now at the stage where i want a massive adventure which is why No Mans Sky can't come soon enough. Other than a quick go on Beat Sabre i literally only use the Quest for like 30 mins or less, Not because it's crap, But because of what i am looking for gaming wise.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The real surprise is that nobody has leaked the date. We usually always know sales dates in advance.
Steam summer sale is supposed to start June 25 so maybe Oculus will match those dates. I'm not expecting any Quest only games to go on sale on their own but I'm hoping that there will be some of those game packs that Oculus puts together for the Quest.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Steam summer sale is supposed to start June 25 so maybe Oculus will match those dates. I'm not expecting any Quest only games to go on sale on their own but I'm hoping that there will be some of those game packs that Oculus puts together for the Quest.

Yeah. Packs could be interesting. I'm also hoping for some of the cross-buys that have been out forever on the Rift.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a release date for Vacation Simulator on Quest? I want to see it on here before I decide if I want to get the PSVR or Quest version.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So Icancelled my order from oculus.com, the ship date is bugged at 6th of june and they couldn't tell me when it would be shipped.

Ordered a 128 gig off Best Buy, feel like the 128 is overkill but at least I will get it by this weekend.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
As I finished Moss last night I decided to pick up 2 games!

Firstly I got Virtual Virtual reality which is just outstanding. I had heard people making comparisons to Portal 2 (probably my favourite game) which is very much valid. Such a bizarre, funny and interesting world, I can quite easily play sitting down as well due to the game using pointers primarily which is nice. Looks great as well...it's got a simple style but I am petty sure it is pushing the resolution nicely as it all looks super sharp and the speed at which it can transition between vastly different worlds feels great and really pushes on the strengths of VR.

Also tried Apex Construct. Little less excited about this than the above but it seems pretty solid. One thing I do really like is the amount of interactive objects in the world. It was one of my big issues with Shadow Point...I can't stand when there are loads of things that look like you can pick them up but actually you can't. Most things are grab-able and most buttons can be pushed. I do think the game needs a bit more space to utilise the bow fully & probably makes a better standing experience so it is not as easy to play in my usual place.

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
So Icancelled my order from oculus.com, the ship date is bugged at 6th of june and they couldn't tell me when it would be shipped.

Ordered a 128 gig off Best Buy, feel like the 128 is overkill but at least I will get it by this weekend.
The 128 might be overkill now but once there are more releases you'll be happy with the extra space plus you'll have plenty of space for sideloading Beatsaber songs and anything else!

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Been hearing a lot of good things so far with this. The unrealistic requirements (cables/cameras) where the biggest barrier to entry for me. Now that it's completely wireless and you can use it anywhere, I can see myself biting soon. Not sure if feasible, but would love to have the versatility to use it with a PC if i don't feel like double dipping on a game or just to experiment.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
shodgson8 did you finish shadow point? Been playing it and got stuck early on at a part with a broken well. Have the weird mirror/looking glass thing and I assume I have to fix the well but it's not working