• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hey guys, finally had a couple hours to play with my Quest. For starters, I can't seem to be able to find how to redo the setting up process again, or at least the part involving the calibration of cross-eye (shorten or loosen the gap between the lenses and whatnot).

Can't find online how to do that again without factory resetting.

Anyway the rez step-up and everything really is a game changer. Loving everything bar the fact I cannot seem to be able to find a proper comfortable position/hold of the headset, even the controller there's something iffy about how you rest your fingers: it doesn't feel as natural as it could, holding and grabbing for instance, but I can't quite put my finger (whoops hehe) on why is that.

Lastly, using Netflix even at full volume it is really low using the default audio output, should I use a pair of hp? But then I fear it'd be even less comfortable than it already is?
Btw Netflix VR keeps putting the couch at the end of my designated play area, so basically I'm watching the movie from *behind* said couch, surely that ain't normal? Otherwise I have to get rid of the location (are there others??) and just go with the screen alone

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Can't wait until June 6th for them to ship my Quest 🙃

D8zoDfdW4AA47Z5

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Hey guys, finally had a couple hours to play with my Quest. For starters, I can't seem to be able to find how to redo the setting up process again, or at least the part involving the calibration of cross-eye (shorten or loosen the gap between the lenses and whatnot).

Can't find online how to do that again without factory resetting.

Anyway the rez step-up and everything really is a game changer. Loving everything bar the fact I cannot seem to be able to find a proper comfortable position/hold of the headset, even the controller there's something iffy about how you rest your fingers: it doesn't feel as natural as it could, holding and grabbing for instance, but I can't quite put my finger (whoops hehe) on why is that.

Lastly, using Netflix even at full volume it is really low using the default audio output, should I use a pair of hp? But then I fear it'd be even less comfortable than it already is?
Btw Netflix VR keeps putting the couch at the end of my designated play area, so basically I'm watching the movie from *behind* said couch, surely that ain't normal? Otherwise I have to get rid of the location (are there others??) and just go with the screen alone

The app for fitting is in your library under the tutorial category and is called Headset fit and focus.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Are there previews of the songs and maps before you buy? I don't mind supporting the devs but I'm too used to checking the levels out on bsaver now
I found one but I can't search around much since I haven't seen the nintendo direct and don't want to hit spoilers on youtube :P

my recommendation is search for the beat saber imagine dragons SONG TITLE mixed reality.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Holding down the Oculus button on the right controller resets your position. Give that a try.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
i have the money on paypal ready to go but i have some final questions for quest owners, how is the tracking on this thing compared to rift with 2 frontal camera or 3 camera setup? (i already own a rift with 2 sensors)
like does he have a problem with really fast movements or particular position like when you put your hands on the waist for taking a gun out for example, or when you need to pick a shotgun from your back in robo recall.

also, are the difference in framerate (72 vs 90) really that noticeable? i have not the strongest vr legs (for now at least), so can this be a problem?

final question, is there some technical aspect where the quest beat the rift? like resolution or fov or godrays or screen door effect?

P.s. better place to get one? amazon or oculus site? ( i live in europe)

thanks in advance.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Forgot a VERY important question:
Is there a way, hotkeys or dedicated button or something acting as the "safe word" (lol) meaning you push it and it lets you see around irl (like when you're calibrating you can see the real world in black&white)?

Also what's this about people putting rubber bands around the controllers' handle?

Holding down the Oculus button on the right controller resets your position. Give that a try.

The app for fitting is in your library under the tutorial category and is called Headset fit and focus.

Great, thanks guys!

Btw, anything cool has dropped or at least has been announced during this E3 for the Quest? Any press events/streams related to Oculus?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way, hotkeys or dedicated button or something acting as the "safe word" (lol) meaning you push it and it lets you see around irl (like when you're calibrating you can see the real world in black&white)
Not a single button. You have to bring up the menu and select the guardian option (can't remember the exact wording) as if you were going to redo the guardian setup, then just cancel it without change when you're done.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way, hotkeys or dedicated button or something acting as the "safe word" (lol) meaning you push it and it lets you see around irl (like when you're calibrating you can see the real world in black&white)?

Also what's this about people putting rubber bands around the controllers' handle?

Great, thanks guys!

Btw, anything cool has dropped or at least has been announced during this E3 for the Quest? Any press events/streams related to Oculus?

Nothing in terms of pressers. Some cool ports were announced. Echo Arena is coming. Arizona Sunshine is coming soon. Pistol Whip was heavily hinted as coming to Quest (by the devs). Beat Saber is getting a 360 mode for the Quest.

UploadVR did a video stream with a bunch of VR games, though.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so after playing my replacement Quest:

- No dead pixels
- Charged fully with the brick and cord
- Tracking is fantastic still
- VR Cover makes the headset FAR MORE comfortable.

All is good!!

OP
OP
Selbran

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to wonder how long it will be until Oculus has a restock. The Quest has been sold out at Best Buy for two weeks now.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like oculus is forcing virtual desktop to remove the steam vr functions

Hi guys, I'm sorry to announce this but Oculus doesn't want the SteamVR streaming feature in their store. I've been developing in VR for 5+ years and as some of you may know, I like to experiment and push the envelop with the tech. I saw the ability to stream VR content from your PC as a very cool idea. I thought it would be a perfect fit for my app since it already gives you access to your computer. Like a nice bonus feature. I worked on this for months and was eager to improve the functionality as I received your feedback over the last few days but according to Oculus, I am hurting Quest..

I will look into providing a separate APK with the VR streaming functionality enabled and make it available through SideQuest over the next few days.

edit: seems to be a thread for it already https://www.resetera.com/threads/oc...remove-vr-streaming-function-in-quest.122693/

Last edited:

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Finally had sometime to do a couple of test objects with Tilt Brush. Only major gripe is not being able to import a reference image to look at with while drawing. The poly shaping tools are pretty nice and the basic effects are solid. It was nice to listen to a podcast and zone out while doing some designs. I will say spend sometime in the featured gallery and really look at some of the more popular post they really give you an idea how to push the tools and effects we have access to with this version.

7BlzaDj.gif

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is using a cloud-based gaming VM to run Steam VR and stream it to his Quest: ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K18FfAupYs

When is this going to be a thing? Very cool.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey everyone,

is it possible to install messaging apps like Telegram on the Quest to view messages? Also, is there a web browser?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

is it possible to install messaging apps like Telegram on the Quest to view messages? Also, is there a web browser?

Some android apps work under oculus TV (so you can view flat apps) but I don't think anyone has tried that.

It has a browser built in - seems decent. Supports WebVR, gmail works ok. Haven't tried eg discord. Amazon prime, iplayer through web are ok too.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Some android apps work under oculus TV (so you can view flat apps) but I don't think anyone has tried that.

It has a browser built in - seems decent. Supports WebVR, gmail works ok. Haven't tried eg discord. Amazon prime, iplayer through web are ok too.
I see, thank you! I'm inching closer and closer to buying one. PSVR is great except for the blurriness due to my high IPD. Completely fell in love with Beat Saber, so being able to play it with custom songs without having to worry about the wire and other shit is a huge plus.. argh. My girlfriend is going to destroy me :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I see, thank you! I'm inching closer and closer to buying one. PSVR is great except for the blurriness due to my high IPD. Completely fell in love with Beat Saber, so being able to play it with custom songs without having to worry about the wire and other shit is a huge plus.. argh. My girlfriend is going to destroy me :(

Because she'll be pissed you spent $400 on another toy, or because she's better at Beat Saber than you?

I've spent 20 years on/off trying to find games that would interest my wife. She doesn't mind watching me play eg Mario or Dark souls, but not interested to play. PSVR changed that with beat saber and some gallery shooting game. PC VR with custom songs was even better. But barrier to play is too high for her so she won't play unless I set everything up. Quest hopefully will bridge that last gap. She wants to play Beat Saber and BoxVR.

First try it was too uncomfortable for her. I've now modded with a Vive deluxe audio strap so hoping that'll do the trick.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Because she'll be pissed you spent $400 on another toy, or because she's better at Beat Saber than you?

I've spent 20 years on/off trying to find games that would interest my wife. She doesn't mind watching me play eg Mario or Dark souls, but not interested to play. PSVR changed that with beat saber and some gallery shooting game. PC VR with custom songs was even better. But barrier to play is too high for her so she won't play unless I set everything up. Quest hopefully will bridge that last gap. She wants to play Beat Saber and BoxVR.

First try it was too uncomfortable for her. I've now modded with a Vive deluxe audio strap so hoping that'll do the trick.
The former :(. She's not interested in games at all (unless it's a story focused game like Uncharted or Quantic Dream stuff) and I couldn't get her to try PSVR yet, granted I've only had it for two weeks now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The former :(. She's not interested in games at all (unless it's a story focused game like Uncharted or Quantic Dream stuff) and I couldn't get her to try PSVR yet, granted I've only had it for two weeks now.

well you fall on your sword for wasting money, and hope the instant-access wireless nature at least gets her to try quest. If Beat Saber, maybe Space Pirate Trainer, or the 'first steps' robot dancing don't get her, nothing will

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Well I smacked the top of my TV when throwing an axe at a zombie, serves me right for not playing attention to my surroundings.
At least the only casualty is a sore hand.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well I smacked the top of my TV when throwing an axe at a zombie, serves me right for not playing attention to my surroundings.
At least the only casualty is a sore hand.

Someone talked about playing in a sports hall which made me think about the dividing curtains they use to separate the areas. That'd be a fairly benign thing to hit instead of a wall if you went outside of your boundary. So we all need to set up a hospital bed style curtain rail in our rooms so we can have a safe physical boundary

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah sometimes I get too absorbed too. I played Superhot and smacked by face into the couch. Huge scratch across the headset now, but no internal damage thankfully. Still, a bit of a shame for such an expensive device. My controller also already has some scratches across it, thanks to my girlfriend :p

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know.

Sword of Gargantua is quite repetitive and literally only seen one environment...

But man, the combat is so much fun I'm willing to overlook things.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Wish Oculus would be better about store curation...really poor moves from them. I understand the need for them to have a viable business but they also need to maintain and improve the goodwill from buyers who are going to be the one's selling the experience to friends and family.

Regarding the Virtual Desktop situation, I highly recommend voting for this to highlight it on user voice: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums...7885843-virtual-desktop-with-steam-vr-support.

Playing a couple of hours of Moss today which I am loving, is nice to play something that is more of a relaxed game that I can sit and play in a bit more of a traditional way, I highly recommend it if you haven't played it. The environments are beautiful & some of the little things that have happened have really had me chuckling. It just feels really solid all round and interesting visually.

Can anyone tell me....what was content they added for the quest version? Is it the area with that awesome toad in it?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For casting to a TV do you need to cast to the oculus app first? Does the oculus app need to be signed in with your account? I'm thinking of situations like today where my daughter was playing with a friend while I was at work and wanted to put it on the TV to watch. But I don't particularly want to have to install the app on everyone's phones with my account details just to cast.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
For casting to a TV do you need to cast to the oculus app first? Does the oculus app need to be signed in with your account? I'm thinking of situations like today where my daughter was playing with a friend while I was at work and wanted to put it on the TV to watch. But I don't particularly want to have to install the app on everyone's phones with my account details just to cast.

Pretty sure it works like this...you can initiate casting to the phone directly from the Quest and also initiate casting to the phone from the phone. However if you want to cast elsewhere (like a chromecast) you need to use the phone to tell the quest to cast to it.

I don't believe there is any way within the headset to cast anywhere other than to a phone.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure it works like this...you can initiate casting to the phone directly from the Quest and also initiate casting to the phone from the phone. However if you want to cast elsewhere (like a chromecast) you need to use the phone to tell the quest to cast to it.

I don't believe there is any way within the headset to cast anywhere other than to a phone.

But has to have the oculus app on the phone to receive the initial cast?

Oct 29, 2017
Starting to wonder how long it will be until Oculus has a restock. The Quest has been sold out at Best Buy for two weeks now.
I asked my wife for a 64GB for my birthday and she ordered it from oculus.com last Thursday. It claimed June 18th for shipping but it arrived yesterday. No clue how long it will take for Best Buy to get more but the oculus website shipping estimates appear to be very conservative.

Feb 15, 2018
Second Quest packed up and ready to go back. 3 issues with this one -

Dead pixel (again)
Controllers randomly unpairing
Quest turning back on when plugged in (from fully powered down with auto wake disabled etc).

Is it too much to ask that I get a fully functioning unit for £400?

The entire experience is now spoilt for me. Shame.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
just got done testing.
new version of beat saber custom song thingy allows for custom folders and works with the new imagine dragons patch now

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update! Will be downloading now.
I kind of wish I could get a ruling on what I can and can't say in terms of beat saber custom songs.
I know I can say they exist... I'm also guessing that linking to the sites to get songs would be a no no...
but what about saying the name of the tool to add custom songs... I know people have mentioned it, but is it actually safe to say, or has it just been overlooked so far lol.

oh well until then I will just keep calling it the custom songs thingy :P

I will note the custom icons for the folders don't always work, and don't always get replaced. my place holder image won't go away without a fresh install again and my third folder had an invisible background and beat saber has no idea what to do so it just made that background white and all the area with the text black lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea they released an Imagine Dragons music pack. Became a huge fan after getting some free tickets and seeing them in concert. Buying this ASAP tomorrow.
yup.

even has some weird spiral effect going on lol.

I just wish they would have included zero instead of thunder.
at the very least I would love to figure out how to remove thunder from the quest... though technically I haven't downloaded that song yet.

god I hate thunder so much.

my usual process for listening to a CD is extract it to my PC, listen to it through. put the songs I liked to the side and listen to the tracks that I didn't like a few times to decide if they will grow on me.
I threw thunder away after one listen because it sucks so hard and then it somehow became a pop hit and I had to listen to it at work #_#

If I didn't like the band's other songs so much I would hate the band just because of thunder lol.

thankfully the experimental song is believer
in the summer a 360 version of it will come out

also track list
Bad Liar
Believer
Digital
It's Time
Machine
Natural
Radioactive
Thunder
Warriors
Whatever It Takes

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I received my Quest yesterday and I must say I'm extremly impressed. It's such an incredible device. I can't wait to take it to some friends house and introduce it to them. I do have a PSVR (without the Move controllers) and I was not a fan. As a first experience, Astro Bot was great and showed how far VR was, but really for me the PSVR resolution was too low to appreciate it. The tracking, the cables were also a huge downside and I never really got into it.

This time between the much better resolution (and it's so noticeable) , the almost non existent setup, and the tracking+controllers, it feels like a whole new age of gaming. Honestly it's almost scary and I'm glad I didn't have this at 15 or so. I really want a MMORPG made in this tech but at the same time...I can see a lot of addictions issue.
Game-wise, I played Beat Saber for the first time and it's 100% what I wanted, and so much more than my expectations. I can't wait to start making my own tracks. The harder levels seem a bit tough though. We'll see. But dancing to the beat while doing my Sekiro moves felt great.
I also bought Dance Central, which I had played a lot on Kinect. The game looks fine but the tracking is a bit off, and the lack of leg tracking is a loss compared to the Kinect. I'm probably still too used to the flawless tracking of the Kinect for dance games. As a (ex-)clubber I do enjoy the club ambiance, dressing up my avatar and so on. I really only played a couple hours so I need to give it more time.

Bottom line, I was really hesitant to invest in the Quest after being a bit disappointed in the PSVR, but now that I have it I'd recommend it to anyone who thought PSVR was a nice demo, but too blury and not tracking good enough. Hopefully I can buy my PSVR now jaja

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Pavlov won't be coming to tech quest either - dev posted on Twitter. This feels like oculus have some processes in place that are not exactly open. Eg anti-compete guarantee to encourage devs they choose (eg onward). There is too much noise around rejections for decent games

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Pavlov won't be coming to tech quest either - dev posted on Twitter. This feels like oculus have some processes in place that are not exactly open. Eg anti-compete guarantee to encourage devs they choose (eg onward). There is too much noise around rejections for decent games

Well...

That sucks.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I have had my first experience trying to refund a digital app from the store. I made the request 3 days ago and it still hasn't processed. I used the app for under 30 minutes. This is concerning for me because I am used to very fast refunds through Steam and it has made me rethink buying more from the store.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I have had my first experience trying to refund a digital app from the store. I made the request 3 days ago and it still hasn't processed. I used the app for under 30 minutes. This is concerning for me because I am used to very fast refunds through Steam and it has made me rethink buying more from the store.

I refunded two apps already. Each one took 3-5 days, but it was a very smooth process otherwise. No fuss.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I've refunded four or five purchases and while they do take longer than Steam, they've all gone through fine.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

There's absolutely a pattern of politics here. It's plain as day if you look at some of the questionable stuff that's been accepted and the competing stuff that's been rejected. Pavlov is being punished for being a Steam-centric title (vs Onward) and not being on the Rift store. But the only reason Pavlov is as popular as it is, is because of the Steam Workshop maps. And like all Steam competitors, Oculus really only cares about whether the storefront functions as a money exchange. So there's no alternative to Steam Workshop and the PC version requires Steam to function in the way customers expect. But, yeah, blackball them from releasing on the Quest store over this. It's totally the devs fault for having the gall to give PCVR users a PC-centric experience.

All of this becomes a moot point if it was a platform swimming in content. But they're not picking the best titles and it's clear as water there's politics at play over who gets blessed as "worthy".