• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I actually find the Quest completely comfortable (there's always one). My concern is that the headset is going to become.... disgusting if I continue to play Beat Saber in temperatures higher than about 16°c. Not sure if any of these cover solution would help for this, or is the magnificent stench of the head set when sold will mask my shame.
It's kinda the point of the VRCover replacement facepads. They are covered with a leather-like material that doesn't soak up sweat and is easy to wipe off. I'm not sure how well the VR Cover *covers* will prevent that, as they are cloth so soak up the sweat themselves, but maybe they prevent the sweat from getting to the facepad, and you can wash the covers (you get two in the pack as it is).

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Base PS4? It's a tricky one. Days of Play so PSVR is on sale right now. And they have some great exclusives. But quest is wireless and could eventually let you play pc games when you upgrade that.

RE7, astrobot, ace combat, everybody's golf, blood and truth - vs no wire, solid tracking, portability.

I'd lean towards quest for future potential and the higher res screen, but I have both so that's cheating :)

It's base PS4 :( . Sony does seem to have a good exclusive line up but I'd never ever try RE7 in VR. I would get a heart attack for sure hahaha. Thanks for taking the time to answer !

Do you mean that the quest could get the option to wire it to a PC just like the Rift ?

Anything can happen but I personally think the single player portion of Lone Echo will remain PC exclusive. I think it will be too demanding for the Quest with is being such a showcase title on PC. I think the best we can perhaps hope for is some adjusted Echo combat game made specifically for quest (may be worth keeping an eye on the VR showcase at E3 as I have seen that the devs are going to present something new there).

Yeah, Lone Echo had trouble running on the GTX 970 I played it on. I'll keep an eye on the VR show then. Also, any other noteworthy Oculus Quest exclusives ?

With that card I wouldn't recommend PC VR. In terms of pro's and cons...it is a bit subjective however I think that PlayStation has the best in terms of exclusive quality games and PSVR will be the cheapest option especially as you already have a PS4 (along with some really good sales going on). That said...the hardware of the PSVR headset is the worst in terms of optics and tracking which will likely feel a generation behind the Quest and your previous experience with the Rift.

Quests tracking and quality of the optics (not graphics) will be far beyond the PSVR however it is a new platform and doesn't have the depth of software available yet. It is tetherless though which for me is huge. I think the future is looking bright for the Quest and the content currently available is something of a 'best of' VR so far minus the PS4 exclusives.

You can always wait! I believe that nothing particularly new is going to be coming out for a while though so it isn't the worst time to jump in if you can pick a direction. Otherwise it will likely be a few more years for new headsets.

My advice would be to try to see if you can try out a Quest and see what you think.

I think the Oculus Quest sounds like the best option right now depending on when I upgrade. As for the PS VR, I feel like I'm better off waiting for the PS5 and the eventual PSVR 2. Also, any chance the Quest goes on sale in the next few months ? Thanks for taking the time to answer !

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
I'm happy this thread is growing and more people are interested in VR ever before.

I can bring it to parties/offices and show it to relatives/friends which was not possible with PSVR. When casual people see the PSVR and all the attached cables, they don't want to get close to that thing. Quest is totally different story.

Feb 15, 2018
It's kinda the point of the VRCover replacement facepads. They are covered with a leather-like material that doesn't soak up sweat and is easy to wipe off. I'm not sure how well the VR Cover *covers* will prevent that, as they are cloth so soak up the sweat themselves, but maybe they prevent the sweat from getting to the facepad, and you can wash the covers (you get two in the pack as it is).
Thanks, yeah that was the internal debate I was having. The pleather pad does look nice, but I read somewhere that it makes the experience even hotter due to its more enclosed nature. Has this been your experience?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, yeah that was the internal debate I was having. The pleather pad does look nice, but I read somewhere that it makes the experience even hotter due to its more enclosed nature. Has this been your experience?
I only got mine yesterday. I find the pleather pads less comfortable than soft foam, but I haven't found them any hotter so far. They do have more "grip" on your face keeping the headset from falling out of the sweet spot with extreme motions (I tested them with Space Pirate Trainer).

I bought them for showing off the Quest, so I can let someone try it, then wipe off the pad and let someone else try it. Then switch to the soft foam with cloth VR Cover when I'm playing by myself (since the pleather pads come with a new plastic facemask, I can easily switch between that and the original facemask with the cloth cover on it).

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Also, any chance the Quest goes on sale in the next few months ? Thanks for taking the time to answer !

I doubt there would be any official sale this early on, at least where I am you can't even pick up a Quest at the moment due to demand. Best case would be to perhaps look for store specific deals.

I much prefer it but I am probably the least sweatiest person I know, I get warm but I just don't sweat. It feels different though in that it kind of 'sticks' to your face. I imagine there could be potential for fogging to occur as the material is less breathable.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I loaded up Skybox VR and watched some Tron:3D over wifi it was damn impressive. This little headset continues to impress me more and more.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
How many people are using the onboard audio? I feel like it's pretty underwhelming. What other cheap options are there? I have a nice set of HD588's but I feel like they wouldn't fit well with the strap.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Also, any chance the Quest goes on sale in the next few months ? Thanks for taking the time to answer !
basically 0 chance of it going on an official sale in the next few months.

that being said places like ebay and google express run coupons from time to time and places like best buy sometimes sell their stock on them.

so if they get listed and a coupon lines up you will save some money.

like what caused me to bite was for father's day best buy gave me a 10% off coupon which i used on the quest.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt there would be any official sale this early on, at least where I am you can't even pick up a Quest at the moment due to demand. Best case would be to perhaps look for store specific deals.

I much prefer it but I am probably the least sweatiest person I know, I get warm but I just don't sweat. It feels different though in that it kind of 'sticks' to your face. I imagine there could be potential for fogging to occur as the material is less breathable.
After spending some time in Miami, my body now sweats easily :) So I just tried out the pleather pad with a long session of Beat Saber, until I felt the sweat rolling down my face. No fogging at all, and when I took the headset off, it wiped off easily. Note though that I have prescription lens caps over the Quest lenses, so it's possible that fogging tendencies will be different than the Quest lenses.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How many people are using the onboard audio? I feel like it's pretty underwhelming. What other cheap options are there? I have a nice set of HD588's but I feel like they wouldn't fit well with the strap.
I use onboard if I just want a quick game with no hassle, which is most of the time (so I WISH they had the same onboard headphones as the Rift). If I want to play Beat Saber or Dance Central, or make a point of playing a cinematic game that I care about sound, I put on my high quality portable over-ear headphones, they fit great over the headstrap

X05VNUN.jpg

(these specific headphones are no longer sold, but that gives you an idea of what I use that works well over the headstrap).

Ilikespiders

Mar 19, 2019
My quest has started having some pretty bad performance issues across all apps now. It kind of came out of the blue and I don't get what caused it? Can I backup saves before a factory reset?

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
How are the games on the Quest compared to traditional games? I'm tempted to buy a Quest, but sort of afraid the games will be "mobile-style" (thus getting boring quick). How do people experience this? I'm not expecting cinematic blockbuster games of course.

I have zero experience gaming on VR.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that VR cover sounds good. I bought a vive DAS to try that mod but if VR cover worked it'd fit in the travel case

When is your DAS supposed to arrive? That thing is seriously tempting me. I played some VR with my Vive today and my goodness, the Vive is like a dream in the comfort department (and that's with the original strap and the original three wire cable). I then swapped back to the Quest for some Sports Scramble and it was just terrible in comparison. Guess I should have bought the DAS years ago (who knew).

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
How are the games on the Quest compared to traditional games? I'm tempted to buy a Quest, but sort of afraid the games will be "mobile-style" (thus getting boring quick). How do people experience this? I'm not expecting cinematic blockbuster games of course.

I have zero experience gaming on VR.

None of them that I've played are really "mobile" type games. The closest thing is maybe the wave shooters. If you're talking about games with a long campaign you have games like Moss, Journey of the Gods, Apex Construct which have 5-6 hours of story content. You have games that are good for being active like Beat Saber, Dance Central and BoxVR. Vader Immortal is more of interactive story and it's only an hour long but the production values are great and make you feel like you're literally standing next to Darth Vader. You can use something like Skybox to put yourself in a full sized movie theater and watch your own content. Netflix has you sitting in a ski chalet with an 80" TV on the wall.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
I've had mine since launch (had an Oculus Go before this) and I have to say this feels like a big deal. This system can really be a boon for games like Moss. I had already played some of it on PSVR but the freedom of movement and better tracking solution has hands down made it my preferred platform for the game.

I hope more VR platformers/puzzle games like Moss and AstroBot really catch on. There's no other feeling like having presence in -- what I can only describe as -- a diorama-esque game world.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guess what's a huge hit at my kids 13th b-day party? Watching each of them freak out in during First Steps is the best. Really glad that Beat Saber got casting working before this.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
When is your DAS supposed to arrive? That thing is seriously tempting me. I played some VR with my Vive today and my goodness, the Vive is like a dream in the comfort department (and that's with the original strap and the original three wire cable). I then swapped back to the Quest for some Sports Scramble and it was just terrible in comparison. Guess I should have bought the DAS years ago (who knew).

It arrived already but I have a crappy head cold so can't do the mod yet and anybtesting would be skewed by having a constant headache :/

Will try and get it done ASAP.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive.
Also given that Carmack twitter post I hope Oculus lets him release their own ALVR solution, probably not but hey I can hope.

The cynic inside me thinks that oculus don't want this because the quest is sold either at a loss or razor thin margin and they rely on store sales to make money back. Look at the relative quality of the rift S at the same price as backup that the quest is more than you'd expect at that price point.

So officially opening it up to steam VR dilutes that. The argument for is about expanding quest user base and making it the defacto best hybrid headset now, and build towards quest 2 in 2-3 years where the merge the product lines/kill the pc only rift

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The comfort is unfortunately the big downside of Quest. It's a shame they didn't put more effort into that aspect making long-term play (meaning >30minutes) more viable.

Please share the store link for VRCover as I'm not sure this is the right one (material looks different from picture further up): https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-vr-cover/

That's the cotton covers. Replacement pleather one is linked from that page

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-foam-and-interface-basic-set/

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
There's a good compromise Oculus could use to stream PC games but still make money on the store: tie it into the PC store. Purchase Rift games on PC Oculus store and stream them via that same app. You could implement the server software into that app and even have it so it only works if the dev opts in by using APIs they provide.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I know this is a quest thread, but I wanted to share and ask a few q's

Ended up with the Oculus Rift S after all.... my reasoning:

- I have a very capable gaming PC (6700k 1080Ti)
- I don't mind being tethered, and would never play VR outside my room.
- Better graphics are a plus
- Exclusives ;)

Would love to try a quest, but they are impossible to get around here at the moment.

Can i buy games from steam and play them on oculus? How does it work and does it cause issues.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously surprised there isn't another alternative to this. Not sure how much cleaning the foam cover that comes with it will hold up to washing, which I need to do often as I use it for cardio every morning (because fuck jogging outside in the summer in Austin)

You can buy replacement facial interfaces from oculus

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I know this is a quest thread, but I wanted to share and ask a few q's

Ended up with the Oculus Rift S after all.... my reasoning:

- I have a very capable gaming PC (6700k 1080Ti)
- I don't mind being tethered, and would never play VR outside my room.
- Better graphics are a plus
- Exclusives ;)

Would love to try a quest, but they are impossible to get around here at the moment.

Can i buy games from steam and play them on oculus? How does it work and does it cause issues.

Hello! There is a PCVR thread that can probably help with the specifics but the Rift will work natively with Steam VR. Just download the Steam VR utility program within steam. It should just recognise the headset once it is all hooked up.

Here's the PCVR OT

www.resetera.com

PCVR Game Discussion Thread - A New Era of Gaming

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread. This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a...

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
VRChat runs great on this thing, surprised at just how much nicer it is being able to walk around the virtual worlds whilst untethered.

The limitations on quest world's and avatars is a blessing in disguise too, haven't encountered a single glitch spammer yet.

Think this may be my platform of choice for it.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Hello! There is a PCVR thread that can probably help with the specifics but the Rift will work natively with Steam VR. Just download the Steam VR utility program within steam. It should just recognise the headset once it is all hooked up.

Here's the PCVR OT

www.resetera.com

PCVR Game Discussion Thread - A New Era of Gaming

For hardware / setup related questions or discussion, please use the SteamVR Hardware thread or the Oculus thread. This is a thread for PCVR users to discuss VR games available on all the compatible platforms (Steam/Oculus/Windows). In the previous incarnation of the thread I tried making a...

Awesome thank you!!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are talking about the Carmack quote, but I must be completely blind. Because I'm just not seeing it for some reason. I'm assuming you're talking about:

In an ideal world, they would just embrace the future already. Drop the Oculus only requirement for the PC store and let Carmack release whatever streaming solution he has working (cause we know there's not going to be a Rift 2 and hybrid is the likely compromise anyways).

I guess, at the very minimum, it supports the notion that TPCast Air can do significantly better than 60ms lag.

Do you maybe have a link to the chart?

These are the formats it supports:

These are the resolution limits on the Go (not sure if the Quest supports higher formats or not):

Last edited:

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone provide me with an idiot proof way of how I Sideload on my Quest? Wanted to get custom songs for Beat Saber and install the Pavlov Alpha.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if I am going to rebuy a Quest or go with a Rift S. I returned my headset because there was a blur/bright spot in the center of my screen no matter how I adjusted things. I was careful to avoid sunlight although I wonder if that was the cause, but it seemed like it was like that ever since I first tried it (meaning either the unit was defective or somehow exposed to sunlight on day 1). It wasn't just God rays.

Quest is sold out everywhere and there are Rift exclusives I want to play. There's Quest streaming - ALVR worked well for me in Beat Saber but kept failing in Trover Saves the Universe, I never found the right settings to avoid major artifacting after 10 minutes of play. So I'm tempted to go with Rift S instead. I'm just torn because no cables is such a great experience and perhaps ALVR in the future will be less problematic for me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone provide me with an idiot proof way of how I Sideload on my Quest? Wanted to get custom songs for Beat Saber and install the Pavlov Alpha.

Download 'sidequest'. Only other requirement is you have your quest in developer mode (google it - it's easy) and a usb cable that will connect to your pc so usb-c to usb-a if necessary (if you have a switch pro controller that cable will work )

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I can't get my quest to update. Which is pretty cool -____-
Mine won't either. Just restarted it and plugged it in to charge. If it still hasn't updated when that's finished, I don't know what it's waiting for.
Oculus support recommends leaving it in standby for up to 4.5 hours to allow it to auto-update, I assume this is because it only checks for available updates every few hours (4?).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix VR takes place in a large living room. Makes me want to clear out an area in that living room to make a larger Guardian area than my room

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if I am going to rebuy a Quest or go with a Rift S. I returned my headset because there was a blur/bright spot in the center of my screen no matter how I adjusted things. I was careful to avoid sunlight although I wonder if that was the cause, but it seemed like it was like that ever since I first tried it (meaning either the unit was defective or somehow exposed to sunlight on day 1). It wasn't just God rays.

Quest is sold out everywhere and there are Rift exclusives I want to play. There's Quest streaming - ALVR worked well for me in Beat Saber but kept failing in Trover Saves the Universe, I never found the right settings to avoid major artifacting after 10 minutes of play. So I'm tempted to go with Rift S instead. I'm just torn because no cables is such a great experience and perhaps ALVR in the future will be less problematic for me.
I got both and returned the Quest. The comfort, lens clarity, and large sweet spot of the S was too good to go back to using the Quest.

If you have space around your PC, go with the S. It's that much better.

I'm using 10ft extension cables for DP and USB3 and it works to move me into another room with more space.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I got both and returned the Quest. The comfort, lens clarity, and large sweet spot of the S was too good to go back to using the Quest.

If you have space around your PC, go with the S. It's that much better.

I'm using 10ft extension cables for DP and USB3 and it works to move me into another room with more space.
The Quest and the S (and Go) use the exact same lens, so same "lens clarity" and sweet spot. Your eyes may have been fooled by the higher graphical fidelity of PC VR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix VR takes place in a large living room. Makes me want to clear out an area in that living room to make a larger Guardian area than my room

Netflix sofa is the same colour as my sofa. Strange to look down and see something in the virtual world that looks like your real one. It'd be nice to be able to customise the rooms for playback