• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I used SideQuest earlier this week and it was pretty easy yes.

Ok, will probably move onto that then. Do you happen to know if it still wipes all the local high scores?

Does anyone with Virtual Desktop know how to press the start button when using the Quest controllers as Xbox controllers? It doesn't seem to be mapped to anything and there's no options to remap them.

I remember reading that you can't apparently...the dev was taking suggestions on how to implement it I believe.

EDIT: Here is the comment: https://reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bxjrhx/_/eq7jika/?context=1

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Can you guys here the fan slightly when you wear it with sound muted? If I put any pressure on the front it goes quiet..

Is the faint fan noise normal ?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
In the dark, I noticed that on my pass-through camera it has about 4 or 5 stuck white pixels, seems to be my bottom left camera. Supposedly it's fairly common and doesn't affect tracking. Anybody else noticed stuck pixels on their pass-thru? the OLED is perfect, so sods law I swap it and get something worse.

Had a system at work for development, but never tried using that in the dark. Might see if that has these hot-pixels on the pass thru cameras too next week.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
In the dark, I noticed that on my pass-through camera it has about 4 or 5 stuck white pixels, seems to be my bottom left camera. Supposedly it's fairly common and doesn't affect tracking. Anybody else noticed stuck pixels on their pass-thru? the OLED is perfect, so sods law I swap it and get something worse.

Had a system at work for development, but never tried using that in the dark. Might see if that has these hot-pixels on the pass thru cameras too next week.

I have some on my pass-through. From the comments I read on Reddit, this is actually fairly common on all cameras. And it's just something manufacturers work around in software algorithms. Not sure how true that is, but it sounded plausible enough.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I'd say it's completely functional at this time but you will experience some glitches. I'd say 5ghz AC & wired from PC > WiFi node is a requirement for it to work well. Been able to play through most of Rez Infinite without a problem though it does hitch infrequently.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I have a Rift S and Quest sitting in boxes and I am trying to decide which to keep. I think the Quest is going to win out, but I would like to play Arizona Sunshine again, and I bought Arkham VR on sale when I had my CV1 but never played it. If I can play those on the Quest and it's a good experience, I think the Quest is the way to go. I really wish the Quest could stream tethered to a PC. It feels like Oculus is being greedy and it doesn't help someone like me who doesn't have a huge budget for this get to experience the best VR content.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
yup even with the sense you putting it on thing turned off my quest just eats up battery in standby.
I went from 100% at 2pm to 40% at 4:30pm.

oh well hard shut offs and plugged in all the time it is.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I have some on my pass-through. From the comments I read on Reddit, this is actually fairly common on all cameras. And it's just something manufacturers work around in software algorithms. Not sure how true that is, but it sounded plausible enough.

Cheers, It didn't seem to cause any problems, plus it's in the centre so I guess the other cameras can also 'see' that area anyway. Shot an e-mail to someone at Oculus to see how common it is. I remember seeing white dot back when handheld video cameras came out, think most of my 80's home videos have a few - but figured it wasn't common anymore.

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
Is it normal to see 3-4 rings at the edges of the lenses?

It's not very obvious when I'm playing a game, but it's pretty noticeable on the home screen.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Anybody else fog up the screen with their nose while playing? I thought I had finger print smudges all over the device until I started inhaling through my nose and it faded away

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cheers, It didn't seem to cause any problems, plus it's in the centre so I guess the other cameras can also 'see' that area anyway. Shot an e-mail to someone at Oculus to see how common it is. I remember seeing white dot back when handheld video cameras came out, think most of my 80's home videos have a few - but figured it wasn't common anymore.
I have two, one on each of the cameras used for passthrough. As they're not impacting tracking and not stuck pixels on the displays themselves and thus don't show up in anything other than passthrough I'm not fussed.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how many people are playing it, but I made it into the Top 10 on one of the Space Pirate Trainer leaderboards and it felt pretty good:)

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can only get one game and I am torn between apex construct, the Wizards, and Space pirate trainer

Apex construct: Look good and I really want a VR game with a campaign, but I heard its around 5 hours long. Is there much replayablility?

Space Pirate Trainer/The Wizards: Both look good but I have a PSVR and was getting bored of wave shooters, I also have Superhot on the quest and that is the ultimate wave shooter. I have played neither on PSVR are they more than wave shooters with a different gimmick?

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1. Seems comparable. It's been a long time since I've used DK2, but I think I felt the Vive was a slight improvement over the DK2. And honestly, this seems just as good (and maybe even slightly better for my face) than the Vive. The DK2 always felt smaller, though, because of how small the sweet spot was. The optics on this >>>>>>>>>>> DK2.
2. No. And I remember that, too. There's not a lot officially on the Quest at the moment.
3. I forget exactly how high you can go, but there's a chart out there and it's rather robust. I've loaded HEVC onto it and it plays fine. Even HEVC @ 4K @ 60fps is within specs.
4. Only thing I've streamed is Youtube, but I can't imagine why latency would be any issue here.
5. Haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure people are doing this. Might want to google to be certain, though.
6. Right now the USB-C port can't be used for storage (and there's no micro-sd card slot). They claim to be working on supporting this, but they claimed that about the Go a year ago too and it never came. I'm pretty sure Boss Zuck said no. If Apple doesn't let you do it, we're not allowing it either.

Thank you for the detailed reply. It helped me a lot with my decision. For the first generation Quest better optics than DK2 is good enough for me. I was never bothered by the screendoor effect or low resolution.

Since it's running on Android, did anyone manage to root this thing? I guess the bootloader is locked and will stay locked.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a problem on Oculus' end, they are getting lots of complaints about it, and are trying to figure out the problem. I myself have the problem for one app (and no, the recent Quest software update doesn't fix it).

Go to Settings, About, and if you have the update your software version should be 256550.6170.0
Mine is 6170.5

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I'd like the opinion of some VR experienced people. Lately, I've been thinking about getting a VR headset. Two years ago, I got the chance to play Echo Arena on the Oculus Rift for around 40 hours along with the first hour of Lone Echo. It was an absolutely fantastic experience but I did not have the money to buy a headset at the time. I've seen online that none of the Echo games are available on the Oculus Quest. Is RAD planning to port those eventually ?

Also, I see that those different VR headsets all have their own appealing exclusives. Could someone list me the pros and cons of each headset and what are the better exclusives? My PC only has a GTX1050 Ti so it can't run the Rift nor the Vive. While I'm planning to upgrade within the year, I have access to my PS4 at the moment and the Oculus Quest doesn't need external hardware.

Finally, would it be better to wait for the next gen of VR ?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like the opinion of some VR experienced people. Lately, I've been thinking about getting a VR headset. Two years ago, I got the chance to play Echo Arena on the Oculus Rift for around 40 hours along with the first hour of Lone Echo. It was an absolutely fantastic experience but I did not have the money to buy a headset at the time. I've seen online that none of the Echo games are available on the Oculus Quest. Is RAD planning to port those eventually ?

Also, I see that those different VR headsets all have their own appealing exclusives. Could someone list me the pros and cons of each headset and what are the better exclusives? My PC only has a GTX1050 Ti so it can't run the Rift nor the Vive. While I'm planning to upgrade within the year, I have access to my PS4 at the moment and the Oculus Quest doesn't need external hardware.

Base PS4? It's a tricky one. Days of Play so PSVR is on sale right now. And they have some great exclusives. But quest is wireless and could eventually let you play pc games when you upgrade that.

RE7, astrobot, ace combat, everybody's golf, blood and truth - vs no wire, solid tracking, portability.

I'd lean towards quest for future potential and the higher res screen, but I have both so that's cheating :)

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Anything can happen but I personally think the single player portion of Lone Echo will remain PC exclusive. I think it will be too demanding for the Quest with is being such a showcase title on PC. I think the best we can perhaps hope for is some adjusted Echo combat game made specifically for quest (may be worth keeping an eye on the VR showcase at E3 as I have seen that the devs are going to present something new there).

With that card I wouldn't recommend PC VR. In terms of pro's and cons...it is a bit subjective however I think that PlayStation has the best in terms of exclusive quality games and PSVR will be the cheapest option especially as you already have a PS4 (along with some really good sales going on). That said...the hardware of the PSVR headset is the worst in terms of optics and tracking which will likely feel a generation behind the Quest and your previous experience with the Rift.

Quests tracking and quality of the optics (not graphics) will be far beyond the PSVR however it is a new platform and doesn't have the depth of software available yet. It is tetherless though which for me is huge. I think the future is looking bright for the Quest and the content currently available is something of a 'best of' VR so far minus the PS4 exclusives.

You can always wait! I believe that nothing particularly new is going to be coming out for a while though so it isn't the worst time to jump in if you can pick a direction. Otherwise it will likely be a few more years for new headsets.

My advice would be to try to see if you can try out a Quest and see what you think.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the quest, i'm already creating some demo games for it.
There are a few issues I hope they fix soon, You cant download the video directly, you need to use adb to pull it, but even then the audio isnt in sync.
Next is to share the screen on your phone, it doesn't work well. Some games doesnt work and it disconnect many times, it isnt smooth

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm a little bit worried about motion sickness. If you have problems with it, is it worse with the Quest than it is with rift, since it has less fps?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm a little bit worried about motion sickness. If you have problems with it, is it worse with the Quest than it is with rift, since it has less fps?
I've found it to be the reverse, the better optics and tracking has led to reducing motion sickness for me. As long as I don't play things with smooth locomotion (I'm sticking with teleports) I haven't had any jarring experiences on the Quest.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I really wanna muck about in H3VR for a bit, but my Vive setup is currently disassembled.
How well would ALVR work with H3VR, do we know?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It probably will help if it's higher fps, but I think Quest is at a place where it's still comfortable. Some apps and games being jittery from not being well optimized yet in certain areas might cause discomfort faster though.

I got over VR motion sickness and nothing seems to bother me in VR anymore, but I remember when I first tried Vanishing of Ethan Carter... ended up in bed for the whole day lol. I mostly got over motion sickness by using social apps in VR like Altspace or VRchat. I used smooth locomotion and at first it felt like I was sliding around and thought I was going to lose my balance, but since it's not really a game, you can move as much as you want or just hang out. Over time, I just got over it.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Having tried both, the difference in fps is really negligible, side by side I could tell but on its own merits it doesn't feel like it matters that it is lower.

Motion sickness...I do not suffer with. The only things that have given me a slight feeling (more of a wobble than sickness) is fast smooth motion in something like Ultrawings. Personally it felt no better or worse than Rift for me.

EDIT: Just turned up!!! Yes

zfFUcHv_d.jpg

Last edited:

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you all! I'm very close to buying this... I never use my rift because it's such a pain to plug it in and make room. This could be the solution. BUT - it's not cheap. Decisions decisions...

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I know this is probably a bit painful to some to hear due to how backed up orders are for the VR cover but my first impressions are that this shit is a game changer for comfort.

My biggest issue so far has been the lack of comfort with the Quest and the fact it puts so much pressure on either my cheeks or forehead. It got better as I have become used to it however longer sessions could still get pretty unpleasant with a lot of relief when taking it off.

The VR cover firstly eliminates all of the light leakage from the side of my head and in addition puts the pressure evenly across my forehead and the side of my head with very little on the cheeks which is a major relief. As a bonus because the foam is just velcro'd on to the plastic you can really adjust the fit.

In short...it feels brilliant.

Some bonus pictures with the standard foam (which is the one I am preferring)

maQMXIy_d.jpg

n4IPUvH_d.jpg

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything can happen but I personally think the single player portion of Lone Echo will remain PC exclusive. I think it will be too demanding for the Quest with is being such a showcase title on PC. I think the best we can perhaps hope for is some adjusted Echo combat game made specifically for quest (may be worth keeping an eye on the VR showcase at E3 as I have seen that the devs are going to present something new there).

With that card I wouldn't recommend PC VR. In terms of pro's and cons...it is a bit subjective however I think that PlayStation has the best in terms of exclusive quality games and PSVR will be the cheapest option especially as you already have a PS4 (along with some really good sales going on). That said...the hardware of the PSVR headset is the worst in terms of optics and tracking which will likely feel a generation behind the Quest and your previous experience with the Rift.

Quests tracking and quality of the optics (not graphics) will be far beyond the PSVR however it is a new platform and doesn't have the depth of software available yet. It is tetherless though which for me is huge. I think the future is looking bright for the Quest and the content currently available is something of a 'best of' VR so far minus the PS4 exclusives.

You can always wait! I believe that nothing particularly new is going to be coming out for a while though so it isn't the worst time to jump in if you can pick a direction. Otherwise it will likely be a few more years for new headsets.

My advice would be to try to see if you can try out a Quest and see what you think.

I'm curious what you mean by "optics" here, because I'd say the Quest is almost unbelievably worse than a PSVR optically. I had heard about fresnel lenses and god rays, but never experienced having only used a PSVR and 1st gen GearVR (which I'd also say has better "optics", though a case could be made either way). Now, I wouldn't let anyone be put off owning a quest because of this, but I can't imagine how anyone would look through these lenses and think "these lenses are better than a PSVR!". Maybe if you have an extreme IPD and can't hit the PSVR sweet spot?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I'm curious what you mean by "optics" here, because I'd say the Quest is almost unbelievably worse than a PSVR optically. I had heard about fresnel lenses and god rays, but never experienced having only used a PSVR and 1st gen GearVR (which I'd also say has better "optics", though a case could be made either way). Now, I wouldn't let anyone be put off owning a quest because of this, but I can't imagine how anyone would look through these lenses and think "these lenses are better than a PSVR!". Maybe if you have an extreme IPD and can't hit the PSVR sweet spot?

Totally understand that some of this is preference. I honestly feel that the Quests are significantly better in terms of lenses and resulting FOV. I am also kind of counting resolution and clarity of the image in 'optics' as well which are both massively better than PSVR which felt super blurry to me.

To top it off I am indeed one of those with a very narrow IPD so manual adjustment is admittedly very important to me and may have impacted my (pretty short) experience with PSVR.

Best advice from me is to attempt to try as many headsets as possible before buying one as so much of this is subjective.

Last edited:

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
So has anyone tried out streaming with Virtual Desktop now that it has been patched to work with Steam VR?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I don't own the VRcover face interface replacement for the Quest, but I own them for other HMD's and I'd like to say, if you're going to order them.. definitelty get the cloth covers from them as well. Those faux leather ones are comfortable, but if you play anything that might work up a little sweat, they get really gross and also fog up the headset. An intense set of Beat Saber and the inside of the headset around the lenses can become extremely wet since these things are not as breathable and doesn't soak up the sweat. Having the cloth cover remedies that.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Totally understand that some of this is preference. I honestly feel that the Quests are significantly better in terms of lenses and resulting FOV. I am also kind of counting resolution and clarity of the image in 'optics' as well which are both massively better than PSVR which felt super blurry to me.

To top it off I am indeed one of those with a very narrow IPD so manual adjustment is admittedly very important to me and may have impacted my (pretty short) experience with PSVR.

Best advice from me is to attempt to try as many headsets as possible before buying one as so much of this is subjective.
Yeah, I have an IPD of 74 and had trouble with the Rift S and now with the PSVR. Now I want to try the Quest to see if the adjustable lenses help.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that VR cover sounds good. I bought a vive DAS to try that mod but if VR cover worked it'd fit in the travel case

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is probably a bit painful to some to hear due to how backed up orders are for the VR cover but my first impressions are that this shit is a game changer for comfort.

My biggest issue so far has been the lack of comfort with the Quest and the fact it puts so much pressure on either my cheeks or forehead. It got better as I have become used to it however longer sessions could still get pretty unpleasant with a lot of relief when taking it off.

The VR cover firstly eliminates all of the light leakage from the side of my head and in addition puts the pressure evenly across my forehead and the side of my head with very little on the cheeks which is a major relief. As a bonus because the foam is just velcro'd on to the plastic you can really adjust the fit.

In short...it feels brilliant.

Some bonus pictures with the standard foam (which is the one I am preferring)

maQMXIy_d.jpg

n4IPUvH_d.jpg
That's good to hear. I'll think about ordering a set of these next month.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Damn that VR cover sounds good. I bought a vive DAS to try that mod but if VR cover worked it'd fit in the travel case
As someone who had both previous VR Covers and the DAS, I can say confidently if the situation is anything like the original Vive, the DAS is WAY WAY better than the covers, though I do like the covers.

Feb 15, 2018
I actually find the Quest completely comfortable (there's always one). My concern is that the headset is going to become.... disgusting if I continue to play Beat Saber in temperatures higher than about 16°c. Not sure if any of these cover solution would help for this, or is the magnificent stench of the head set when sold will mask my shame.