• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
So what is the state of alvr now? What are the limitations and problems? I don't seem to see many people talking about using it, but I hear a lot of talk about it existing.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What?

I uninstalled games I had refunded no problems. Why would they require you to leave them installed locally? That makes no sense.
Someone here previously said this. They assumed it was because they need the record of your playtime or somesuch. Never verified this myself.
Can anyone else confirm if their Quest turns back on when plugged in? That is to say, if i fully power it down by holding the power button for 3 seconds, then selecting power off from the menu, and then plug the charger in, after about 1 minute i will hear the Quest beep and power back up before going back in to sleep mode. I'm sure my first one did not do this.
Anyone?
Mine lights up green for a moment, but doesn't actually turn on - the light goes to amber after a few seconds.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone else confirm if their Quest turns back on when plugged in? That is to say, if i fully power it down by holding the power button for 3 seconds, then selecting power off from the menu, and then plug the charger in, after about 1 minute i will hear the Quest beep and power back up before going back in to sleep mode. I'm sure my first one did not do this.
Anyone?

I don't think I have ever experienced this. When I power down and plug it in, I get the battery symbol for a second and that's it. The next day, I get the usual 30 second or whatever start up.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Hoping this means the VR cover will arrive today or tomorrow, showing this off tomorrow night to family and would like the covers installed if possible.

qHiQz7J_d.jpg

New Quest Firmware released:

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
What?

I uninstalled games I had refunded no problems. Why would they require you to leave them installed locally? That makes no sense.

Did you uninstall them before refunding? Cause the official refund policy (that you get when you click on refund policy on store pages) is the following:

Which Device Should I Use to Request a Refund?
To qualify for a refund, you must submit your request from the same device you used to purchase the app. For eligibility, you cannot have cleared your data after purchasing the app, before requesting the refund.

If you purchase content that can be enjoyed on multiple VR devices, the relevant refund policy is the one covering the device you used to purchase the content. For example, if you purchase a game on an Oculus Rift device, then this Policy governs, even if you can play the game on both Oculus Go and Oculus Rift.

Who knows what "clearing your data means". Maybe they're talking about a hard reset that sets everything back to default (and loses played time that way)?

Anyone?

Speaking of quirks, the other night the Quest room was lit up. For some reason it turned back on and was stuck at the "Lost tracking" prompt (with the camera pass-through turned on). I've turned off the head sensor and leave it sitting on one of those VR heads. So, of course, once it robo turned on, it was never going to turn off. I guess when not in use, I'm just not going to be able to use stand-by (or else risk it running the battery dead if it turns on by itself).

Last edited:

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looking for some advice on an exploration app, maybe something my parents may like when I go to visit them. Been looking at Wander, Nature Treks and National Geographic, what's the ideal one to go for here?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you uninstall them before refunding? Cause the official refund policy (that you get when you click on refund policy on store pages) is the following:

Who knows what "clearing your data means". Maybe they're talking about a hard reset that sets everything back to default (and loses played time that way)?

Speaking of quirks, the other night the Quest room was lit up. For some reason it turned back on and was stuck at the "Lost tracking" prompt (with the camera pass-through turned on). I've turned off the head sensor and leave it sitting on one of those VR heads. So, of course, once it robo turned on, it was never going to turn off. I guess when not in use, I'm just not going to be able to use stand-by (or else risk it running the battery dead if it turns on by itself).
Yes, deleted before requesting a refund. Again why would a refund hinge on the availability of game data on your local device? A device you can keep offline if you so choose for days on end which would prohibit any remote "checking" of any sort.

That policy page also doesn't correctly correlate from a Quest perspective, as you do not request refunds from the device itself, you do it from the mobile app.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
New update has greatly reduced the guardian activity. Very good improvement.

Really good to hear! Hoping mine updates soon, have heard this helps stop tearing and some of the visual artifacts as well.

I wish there was a way to force the update as I normally leave mine powered down but am just leaving it on standby for now hoping it gets pushed to the quest.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Asking for a new page, does anyone have some hands-on impressions of ALVR? I'm curious what to realistically expect. I have a modest Steam VR library and some of them I haven't played yet, but I'm trying to decide between Quest and Rift S. Thank you!

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
You are absolutely correct. If you turn on developer mode, you'll see it still installed under Unknown Sources, and you cannot uninstall it from there.
I used ADB to get rid of it, but i don't know if there is a better way.

Also, don't do this before you get your refund, or they will probably deny it.

Wait, are you saying that games are not being removed when uninstalled? (After the refund has been processed?)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are you saying that games are not being removed when uninstalled? (After the refund has been processed?)
That was the case for me, yes.
Edit:
To be clear, it disappeared from my library as soon as I requested the refund. Because I had dev mode enabled, I could see it under Unknown Sources. There was no way I could find to uninstall. Clicking on it just attempted to launch, and there was no menu on it.
Even after the refund was processed, it was still there and I had to use ADB to get rid of it.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been mentioned but The Wizards is cross buy so it's free for anyone that has it for the Rift.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Are there any racing games or flying games for the Quest yet? All I've seen so far are lightsabers and lots of stationary shooting.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Edit:
To be clear, it disappeared from my library as soon as I requested the refund. Because I had dev mode enabled, I could see it under Unknown Sources. There was no way I could find to uninstall. Clicking on it just attempted to launch, and there was no menu on it.
Even after the refund was processed, it was still there and I had to use ADB to get rid of it.

Thanks. I'm hoping that's an oversight.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, deleted before requesting a refund. Again why would a refund hinge on the availability of game data on your local device? A device you can keep offline if you so choose for days on end which would prohibit any remote "checking" of any sort.

That policy page also doesn't correctly correlate from a Quest perspective, as you do not request refunds from the device itself, you do it from the mobile app.

That's good to know. It did seem like an insane policy, so it's good that it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Asking for a new page, does anyone have some hands-on impressions of ALVR? I'm curious what to realistically expect. I have a modest Steam VR library and some of them I haven't played yet, but I'm trying to decide between Quest and Rift S. Thank you!

I feel like it's tantalizingly close, but I wouldn't completely recommend it at this point. Things improved quite a bit when I switched to having my computer's wifi act as a 5Ghz hotspot (with ethernet handling the other half). It completely eliminitated all packet losses and gave me a terrific picture @ 70Mbits and 150% resolution, but I'm getting inexplicable stutters with this method (frequent enough that it made truly judging latency impossible). This wasn't happening when I went through the router's wifi. I think it's because my wifi on my mobo sucks (reddit threads reported this mobo as giving lots of Watchdog BSoD before some firmware updates. The new Ryzen 3xxx firmware updates should be dropping for my mobo any day now. So I'm going to retry when I can update to the very latest firmware.

I feel like there's potential for this to be a viable alternative, but in its current form, I can't truly recommend it right now. The software needs more maturation too.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 questions :

-how to check which is the current version of any app ? I tried « details » but I don't see any version
-i have a lot'of Issues updating app. Staying in queue. Any idea ?

Thanks

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any racing games or flying games for the Quest yet? All I've seen so far are lightsabers and lots of stationary shooting.
RUSH is kinda both? It's like a racing game with wingsuits. I actually enjoy it quite a bit, but the playerbase isn't there. I can't really find others to play with online, but if you have friends that would play with you I'd recommend it. There's also VR Karts but I haven't heard any good things about it.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
So, the last Virtual Desktop update allows SteamVR streaming from your PC. Basically an "official" ALVR alternative. It also allows the Touch controllers to work as a Xbox One gamepad, and even remote connectivity (from an external network) to your PC.
Nice. I haven't tried the other ways of streaming it because it seemed like a lot of work but I'll give this one a try.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jun 6, 2019
Quick question. Is there a game/app on the Oculus Quest that makes me feel in space? Kinda like an astronaut.

I want to see planets, stars, nebulas and everything space related. I just want to feel I'm in space.

Is there anything like that?

There is an Apollo 11 app that allows you to fly to the moon alongside the Apollo 11 crew. It's more of an educational app than a game. I experienced it on PSVR and it was quite nice. Can't vouch for the Quest version

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is there any word on a potential "E3 Sale" for Quest games? Probably too close to launch to be hopeful, but here I am hoping.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I owned the DK2 for a year and the Quest seems to solve most reasons I sold it:
  • the wires getting in the way
  • the camera with the super limited moving range
  • always tethered to my PC
  • tons of bugs and terrible user experience
  • not enough games

I might finally get back to VR and buy the Quest.
  1. Does anyone know how the horizontal FOV is compared to the DK2?
  2. There was a demo on the DK2 where you flew around the solar system and could experience the size of the planets. It blew my mind. Does this still exist for the Quest (without streaming)?
  3. What video formats are supported natively? Can I play HEVC?
  4. When I stream videos, is it correct that latency does not matter much?
  5. Can I stream videos from my android phone?
  6. Can I use OTG + a microSD card?

1. Seems comparable. It's been a long time since I've used DK2, but I think I felt the Vive was a slight improvement over the DK2. And honestly, this seems just as good (and maybe even slightly better for my face) than the Vive. The DK2 always felt smaller, though, because of how small the sweet spot was. The optics on this >>>>>>>>>>> DK2.
2. No. And I remember that, too. There's not a lot officially on the Quest at the moment.
3. I forget exactly how high you can go, but there's a chart out there and it's rather robust. I've loaded HEVC onto it and it plays fine. Even HEVC @ 4K @ 60fps is within specs.
4. Only thing I've streamed is Youtube, but I can't imagine why latency would be any issue here.
5. Haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure people are doing this. Might want to google to be certain, though.
6. Right now the USB-C port can't be used for storage (and there's no micro-sd card slot). They claim to be working on supporting this, but they claimed that about the Go a year ago too and it never came. I'm pretty sure Boss Zuck said no. If Apple doesn't let you do it, we're not allowing it either.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
-i have a lot'of Issues updating app. Staying in queue. Any idea ?
It's a problem on Oculus' end, they are getting lots of complaints about it, and are trying to figure out the problem. I myself have the problem for one app (and no, the recent Quest software update doesn't fix it).

how do you check for update ?
Go to Settings, About, and if you have the update your software version should be 256550.6170.0

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Edit:
What's ADB?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I wonder if its in stages, mine's still 256550.5350.0

I suggest giving it a restart and then leave it on standby and on charge. Mine eventually updated doing that.

Really curious to see how this compares to the other apps (ALVR/Riftcat/etc)

I have read around that performance is currently in between the two (with the added benefit of not having to sideload the app).

Have also seen there are some button mapping issues and it sounds like haptics for games are not working.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

I'd say it's completely functional at this time but you will experience some glitches. I'd say 5ghz AC & wired from PC > WiFi node is a requirement for it to work well. Been able to play through most of Rez Infinite without a problem though it does hitch infrequently.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Looking for some advice on an exploration app, maybe something my parents may like when I go to visit them. Been looking at Wander, Nature Treks and National Geographic, what's the ideal one to go for here?
Wander = Google Street View. It's cool to show people because they can look at their homes, places they've visited, etc, but the data is all 360 spheres from Google Street View. Good for a VR n00b. Not quite as awesome as Google Earth VR, but the best we have on Quest!

National Geographic is more of an adventure game - I've only played the first scene, but you use a kayak to boat around icebergs and take photos of 3d rendered animals you see. The kayak mechanic is pretty awesome. Get this if your parents are more active and would like something with more interactivity.

Haven't tried Nature Treks.

If you want something more "That Game Company" exploration like, try Fujii - it's a beautiful world and gameplay involves exploring and finding things and very light puzzle solving mixed with gardening. Highly recommend.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
How is everyone currently adding custom songs to Beat Saber? Sidequest?

I have only been using the old Nyanblade tool which has not been updated recently with the new updates & have noticed that momentum has been moving to sidequest.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone with Virtual Desktop know how to press the start button when using the Quest controllers as Xbox controllers? It doesn't seem to be mapped to anything and there's no options to remap them.