• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh are you using nyanblade's? Me too but it doesn't seem to be getting updated. I like them being in their own custom songs folder and sidequest doesn't do that.
ah. it's a shame that one wasn't update.
yeah. I want to be able to make like 5 folders eventually.
There are a couple bands I really like that I would love to have like 10-15 songs from but I don't want that in a big folder but their own folder so I don't have to search through them when I want to play something different.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Man, I just can't decide between this and the rift s.

No wires or better performance :o

I'm in the same boat, by a weird set of circumstances I actually have both shipping to me but I'm only going to keep one. I ordered a Rift S from Lenovo for 379 shipped and tried to cancel the order but somehow a week wasn't enough time for them to cancel it and they shipped it. While I was assuming it would be cancelled I ordered a Quest not expecting it to ship for a few weeks and it shipped the next day.

Anyways, here is my line of thinking:

It seems the Quest is higher build quality, more in line with the original Rift, where Lenovo's involvement in the Rift S has produced a "cheaper" feeling headset. I also like the idea of higher resolution and OLED screens on the Quest. Of course the wireless aspect of the Quest is the major selling point and I think it will be cool to take to family gatherings, etc.

So really the only advantage the Rift S would have for me personally is simpler access to a wider library of games through Steam VR and the regular Oculus store. I'm holding out hope that ALVR or ridgecast (?) will make that possible in a way that the games are still enjoyable to play.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Quest right now, but I'm not completely decided.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Open the quest, see how you like it for the standalone stuff, but also try out ALVR/Riftcat (spend a bit of time tweaking if necessary). That'll help you understand if the combination of tetherless + maybe a tiny bit suboptimal PCVR is better than tethered PCVR.

If you choose not to keep the quest you can probably sell it on for very little loss if demand remains high and stocks remain low, so it should be a low risk option for you

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm in the same boat, by a weird set of circumstances I actually have both shipping to me but I'm only going to keep one. I ordered a Rift S from Lenovo for 379 shipped and tried to cancel the order but somehow a week wasn't enough time for them to cancel it and they shipped it. While I was assuming it would be cancelled I ordered a Quest not expecting it to ship for a few weeks and it shipped the next day.

Anyways, here is my line of thinking:

It seems the Quest is higher build quality, more in line with the original Rift, where Lenovo's involvement in the Rift S has produced a "cheaper" feeling headset. I also like the idea of higher resolution and OLED screens on the Quest. Of course the wireless aspect of the Quest is the major selling point and I think it will be cool to take to family gatherings, etc.

So really the only advantage the Rift S would have for me personally is simpler access to a wider library of games through Steam VR and the regular Oculus store. I'm holding out hope that ALVR or ridgecast (?) will make that possible in a way that the games are still enjoyable to play.

I'm heavily leaning towards the Quest right now, but I'm not completely decided.

Thanks for this write-up. I would love to hear your thoughts about which one you prefer after comparing them both.

I guess what it comes down to for me is do I want the freedom from wires or better graphics. Also the library of quest games seems to be much smaller, I don't want to miss out on some awesome games because the quest doesn't support them or it just can't handle the graphics.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this write-up. I would love to hear your thoughts about which one you prefer after comparing them both.

I guess what it comes down to for me is do I want the freedom from wires or better graphics. Also the library of quest games seems to be much smaller, I don't want to miss out on some awesome games because the quest doesn't support them or it just can't handle the graphics.

It has only been out for two weeks. they've said 100+ games by end of year. I would also expect most VR devs to at least be considering ports/quest development due to the potential for expanded addressable market.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is anyone having problems getting audio from casting? I'm casting to a Chromecast Ultra and there's no sound.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is Sword of Gargantua out today or tomorrow?

Cause I've seen people say tomorrow but their own twitter posted this:

D8QNCxhUEAAZoY1.jpg:large

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As someone who is a complete noob when it comes to VR. Can someone help answer some of these questions?

- Does the Oculus Quest require you to buy games from the oculus store? Or can I purchase from steam? Are there any issues with doing this?

- I keep seeing terms like Sideload and ALVR thrown around, what does this mean? Can you run rift s games on the quest somehow?
- what does the significane of having a 5GHz router have to do with this?

It has only been out for two weeks. they've said 100+ games by end of year. I would also expect most VR devs to at least be considering ports/quest development due to the potential for expanded addressable market.

I've looked through the store and some of the games look great, I would just hope some of the killer apps are ported.

Either way, I think I may pull the trigger on the quest after all :D

Thought about the valve index, but that price tag :o

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is a complete noob when it comes to VR. Can someone help answer some of these questions?

- Does the Oculus Quest require you to buy games from the oculus store? Or can I purchase from steam? Are there any issues with doing this?

- I keep seeing terms like Sideload and ALVR thrown around, what does this mean? Can you run rift s games on the quest somehow?

I've looked through the store and some of the games look great, I would just hope some of the killer apps are ported.

Either way, I think I may pull the trigger on the quest after all :D

Thought about the valve index, but that price tag :o

Sideload - you can put your own android apps onto it via USB. You aren't just limited to what oculus sell in their store. Eg the custom songs for beat Saber uses this to get the patched game onto the quest. And Pavlov alpha. The games still need to be Quest compatible

- ALVR is software you can use to stream PCVR games to your quest. So you're running them on your PC and it's streaming the picture and audio to your headset, and the headset is sending controller/head movement info back to the PC.

- 5GHz is the best (fastest) Wi-Fi that the quest supports. Useful for ALVR as you're transmitting food quality video from your PC so you want fast Wi-Fi

datamage

Oct 25, 2017

Games must be purchased from the Oculus store, there are no Quest games on Steam. You are not able to run Rift S games on the Quest, completely different operating systems (amongst other reasons.) ALVR allows you to stream a Steam VR game to the Quest. (Side-loading allows you to copy/install apks to the Quest to run.)

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Games must be purchased from the Oculus store, there are no Quest games on Steam. You are not able to run Rift S games on the Quest, completely different operating systems (amongst other reasons.) ALVR allows you to stream a Steam VR game to the Quest. (Side-loading allows you to copy/install apks to the Quest to run.)

Awesome, thank you for answering!

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Can anyone recommend anything remotely similar to how the assault rifle shooting feels like within the First Steps experience? Absolutely loved how the slightly bendy/extendable 2 handed gun felt, would happily buy a full game of that.

Does the bow in Apex Construct have a similar tactile feeling??

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Can anyone recommend anything remotely similar to how the assault rifle shooting feels like within the First Steps experience? Absolutely loved how the slightly bendy/extendable 2 handed gun felt, would happily buy a full game of that.

Does the bow in Apex Construct have a similar tactile feeling??

First Steps long gun is the best VR long gun implementation I've played - the bendy shrink/grow nature of it just works amazingly with the touch controllers.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm missing out on the Beat Saber train, I played the demo but it didn't really land for me (and I was an absolute nut for Guitar Hero/Rock Band), though seeing someone else saying it's a whole other thing adding your own music has me tempted to get it especially seeing Sidequest has drag and drop support for custom tracks now. It'd be godly if Spotify could be integrated though I saw the devs looked into it and found it wasn't really feasible.

Just to be clear you can add custom songs but you can't add your own music. Those custom songs are still charted by someone, you can't just add anything and have it work.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So Gargantua is out. Anyone able to report on the Quest version?
Tried it for 20mins. Jittery combat but a neat idea, 4 players PvE sword fighting against huge enemies has potential. But the game turned into a puke simulator for me due to smooth locomotion. I'll probably refund this one unfortunately.

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
Best Buy just emailed me to say my order is ready for in-store pickup. CAN'T WAIT!

My PSVR has been collecting dust for months... I'm just so tired of all the setup, the wire clutter, the clumsiness of it.

Now to figure out how to get through the next 3 hours of work so I can go home and see what all the fuss about Beat Saber is about.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anything special I need to do to update Beat Saber since I have custom songs?
you have to uninstall it from the side thingy
get the update and the newest version of the side thingy
and then add your custom songs back that way as far as I know.

if you have custom songs in beat saber you outright can't uninstall beatsaber from inside your quest.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
you have to uninstall it from the side thingy
get the update and the newest version of the side thingy
and then add your custom songs back that way as far as I know.

if you have custom songs in beat saber you outright can't uninstall beatsaber from inside your quest.

Oh. If I installed with nyanblades tool do I have to manually uninstall via adb?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. If I installed with nyanblades tool do I have to manually uninstall via adb?
you do, and I don't think you can use nyanblades to install custom songs after the update.
I think the process needed a tweak to work again and the side thingy (I really should look up the name lol) did it while Nyanblades didn't, but I haven't fully checked my information on such things as I haven't been bothered to update yet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
you do, and I don't think you can use nyanblades to install custom songs after the update.
I think the process needed a tweak to work again and the side thingy (I really should look up the name lol) did it while Nyanblades didn't, but I haven't fully checked my information on such things as I haven't been bothered to update yet.

Yeah for now I have updates turned off. I'll probably switch to sidequest as it seems to be getting traction.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone else not able to download games from the store right now? Electronauts has just been sitting on "download queued," then it'll say "Ready to Install" on the phone app, and then "Headset not found," when in fact the headset is connected. On the Quest I went to "Updates" to cancel Rec Room and Beat Saber downloads, then went to Notifications/Downloads to make sure there were no other active downloads pushing Electronauts back. Lastly, I checked my wifi and it's all good. I see no reason for the delay unless there's a system update going on, and I see no reason why the app is giving me the "headset not found" error. I've also tried queuing the download directly from in the Quest, and it still won't go past Queued status.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone having problems getting audio from casting? I'm casting to a Chromecast Ultra and there's no sound.

Have you tried plugging headphones in? My buddy was having this problem when casting through Facebook and plugging in headphones fixed it. I'm assuming this is because there's a delay and hearing both the headset audio and TV audio would be disorienting.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded The Wizards and I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it, played about a half hour and it's the weakest looking game I've played on the platform yet. The gameplay has been the same two or three functions in a loop from what I've played. Kind of disappointing.

Last edited:

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Anyone else not able to download games from the store right now? Electronauts has just been sitting on "download queued," then it'll say "Ready to Install" on the phone app, and then "Headset not found," when in fact the headset is connected. On the Quest I went to "Updates" to cancel Rec Room and Beat Saber downloads, then went to Notifications/Downloads to make sure there were no other active downloads pushing Electronauts back. Lastly, I checked my wifi and it's all good. I see no reason for the delay unless there's a system update going on, and I see no reason why the app is giving me the "headset not found" error. I've also tried queuing the download directly from in the Quest, and it still won't go past Queued status.
Sounds like some people are having this problem and a factory reset fixes it.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what happens to games that you get refunded? I realise that you have to leave the game installed when you request the refund and then once you request the refund the game no longer appears in your library but I have a suspicion the game is still taking up space on the device.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
note to self. standby mode sucks and I need to make sure whenever I take off the headset to either plug it in or turn it all the way off otherwise the battery will just die after a few hours.

I know it's likely because I'm putting a cover on my lens but I would prefer to turn off the light detection setting in general so I can have my lens covered and the system not auto turn on and just burn through the battery.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
note to self. standby mode sucks and I need to make sure whenever I take off the headset to either plug it in or turn it all the way off otherwise the battery will just die after a few hours.

I know it's likely because I'm putting a cover on my lens but I would prefer to turn off the light detection setting in general so I can have my lens covered and the system not auto turn on and just burn through the battery.
I thought you could turn off the light detection. It's called auto wake I think.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Quick question. Is there a game/app on the Oculus Quest that makes me feel in space? Kinda like an astronaut.

I want to see planets, stars, nebulas and everything space related. I just want to feel I'm in space.

Is there anything like that?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I thought you could turn off the light detection. It's called auto wake I think.
i might have to look into that then.
switched it to off and hope that will help.
still lame that the auto sleep with no inactivity doesn't seem to work with the lens cover on.
you would think that no movement at all would count as that.

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I owned the DK2 for a year and the Quest seems to solve most reasons I sold it:
  • the wires getting in the way
  • the camera with the super limited moving range
  • always tethered to my PC
  • tons of bugs and terrible user experience
  • not enough games

I might finally get back to VR and buy the Quest.
  1. Does anyone know how the horizontal FOV is compared to the DK2?
  2. There was a demo on the DK2 where you flew around the solar system and could experience the size of the planets. It blew my mind. Does this still exist for the Quest (without streaming)?
  3. What video formats are supported natively? Can I play HEVC?
  4. When I stream videos, is it correct that latency does not matter much?
  5. Can I stream videos from my android phone?
  6. Can I use OTG + a microSD card?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks. I'll just wait/hope for a hassle-free fix.

Just looked up Quest lens covers and some of them just cover the entire cavity inside the face pad. Here's a design that claims to not trigger the proximity sensor:

So maybe you can just slice out the area near the sensor.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I have the auto wake thing off. It still goes to sleep on its own when you take it off and it's as simple as pressing the power button to wake it up so it's my prefered way. Then I can use the paper that came with the Quest to cover the lenses.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what happens to games that you get refunded? I realise that you have to leave the game installed when you request the refund and then once you request the refund the game no longer appears in your library but I have a suspicion the game is still taking up space on the device.
You are absolutely correct. If you turn on developer mode, you'll see it still installed under Unknown Sources, and you cannot uninstall it from there.
I used ADB to get rid of it, but i don't know if there is a better way.

Also, don't do this before you get your refund, or they will probably deny it.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are absolutely correct. If you turn on developer mode, you'll see it still installed under Unknown Sources, and you cannot uninstall it from there.

Thanks for confirming that. Kinda crappy.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

What?

I uninstalled games I had refunded no problems. Why would they require you to leave them installed locally? That makes no sense.

Feb 15, 2018
Can anyone else confirm if their Quest turns back on when plugged in? That is to say, if i fully power it down by holding the power button for 3 seconds, then selecting power off from the menu, and then plug the charger in, after about 1 minute i will hear the Quest beep and power back up before going back in to sleep mode. I'm sure my first one did not do this.
Anyone?