• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I've run into bugs with Superhot and Robo Recall that forced me to restart them. To hear that they both could have been patched but haven't because of some arbitrary deadline Oculus have set seems really stupid to me.

The weird thing is, some things have been patched, like Bigscreen VR, so I'm not sure if some devs are just ignoring Oculus or what's going on there.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Found a 64GB unit at a Walmart, probably one of the few left in my entire area at any store. Downloaded some stuff and tried some demos, it really is pretty cool for a first time VR user like me.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I FINALLY found the case over the weekend. It's been a long process of cancelled orders, and hitting up the web pages of Gamestop, walmart, and best buy multiple times a day just hoping one would pop up AND allow me to hold it long enough to get out of work and go get it. So happy now - the official case is really nice. I wish it was a little more protective/padded, but it's as compact as it could possibly be while still holding everything. Takes some effort to get the power cord stowed just right, but once you get used to it, it's great.

I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks, and I am happy to be able to share my Quest with my family back home!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You're all going to play that Rec Room quest as soon as it comes out. I guess those of us in team RMA could play it together in a week or two.

Beesly

Dec 12, 2017
Will I have any issues bringing this to my parent's place over Christmas (2000 miles away, live on a huge farm) where they have internet speeds of 5 down (legit get like 1.7 down wirelessly)? I know downloading anything is a bust so I'll be prepared, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't any kind of "always online" bs or something.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I returned my rift S. There was no way I was going to play it enough to be worth it and the single cord bothered me more than I expected it to. Maybe once the Oculus quest gets more must haves I'll revisit the idea of vr.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Will I have any issues bringing this to my parent's place over Christmas (2000 miles away, live on a huge farm) where they have internet speeds of 5 down (legit get like 1.7 down wirelessly)? I know downloading anything is a bust so I'll be prepared, but just wanted to make sure there wasn't any kind of "always online" bs or something.
I'm 99.9% sure beat saber, robo recall, and superhot don't have online requirements as I was playing them without being connected to the internet yesterday.
don't know if any other games do though.

I will note though if you buy the beat saber dlc it doesn't actually download the songs until you go to play them.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
How are Robo Recall and Superhot on this as far as graphics and performance? Really tempted to pick one of these up, but I'm worried the scaled back visuals with ruin the immersion...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How are Robo Recall and Superhot on this as far as graphics and performance? Really tempted to pick one of these up, but I'm worried the scaled back visuals with ruin the immersion...
Superhot the visual downgrade isn't noticable at all - maybe if you are A/Bing them right after each other. Robo Recall was designed as a Rift visual showcase, so of course that one's been downgraded visually, but it doesn't look bad, just not amazing anymore. The gameplay hasn't suffered, is the important part.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

Superhot runs completely fine. The drop from PC to mobile chipset isn't noticeable plus its full wireless. Probably best version to own atm. I punched my hand against my drawer...

Robo Recall runs fine. The loss from PC to mobile computing is noticeable but its the same game pretty much. Noticed a bit more blur in general than before along with a loss in just general graphics.

Between the two i'd choose Superhot

Last edited:

Beesly

Dec 12, 2017
I'm 99.9% sure beat saber, robo recall, and superhot don't have online requirements as I was playing them without being connected to the internet yesterday.
don't know if any other games do though.

I will note though if you buy the beat saber dlc it doesn't actually download the songs until you go to play them.

Okay, cool. I'm sure their internet could handle minor internet connectivity, I just don't want to have to deal with any issues while showing them, haha.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Superhot the visual downgrade isn't noticable at all - maybe if you are A/Bing them right after each other. Robo Recall was designed as a Rift visual showcase, so of course that one's been downgraded visually, but it doesn't look bad, just not amazing anymore. The gameplay hasn't suffered, is the important part.
Superhot runs completely fine. The drop from PC to mobile chipset isn't noticeable plus its full wireless. Probably best version to own atm. I punched my hand against my drawer...

Robo Recall runs fine. The loss from PC to mobile computing is noticeable but its the same game pretty much. Noticed a bit more blur in general than before along with a loss in just general graphics.

Between the two i'd choose Superhot

Hmmm... it's a tough call. I could get a Rift S for the same price and have a desktop that easily run it... I guess the question becomes do I want the higher quality graphics or wireless play...

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017
After 3 hours, it's everything that I expected it to be.

This is my first VR experience after Cardboard demos, so yeah, quite a big jump.

Played some BeatSaber, but didn't bother with the custom songs yet, hoping we get a new SideQuest tomorrow :P. With the default songs, at $30, it's a robbery, but it works as expected, so excited to play it later.

Triple dipped Superhot (okay, 2nd was GwG :D), it's a whole new experience. My mind was blown when I could just hide behind covers and just stick the guns out. It's a bit weird with the different guardian setups though, I have a hardly 2x2m space, and it just pains to see some weapons flying out the grid as i'm trying to reach them. Already managed to knock the HMD while catching a knife, so yeah, quite immersive.

Installed the Pavlov Alpha too (it's at 7 now I think), looks promising, only bothered with the gun-range so far. SDE + resolution is a bitch though for anything more than ~20m ingame. It was amazing doing the bolt pulls on the snipers, but I couldn't reload a shotgun :D.

Tried ALVR too, getting 60-70ms from a router tucked behind a tv, could probably get it down to 60, but in the SteamVR home it seemed okay for now.

So far I'm very satisfied with it. No screen issues I've seen yet (though the full-white screens in superhot can go fuck themselves), only that my right strap is making this clicking sound, when moved, and not worn (like a Geiger-counter), I think the screw isn't holding well enough between the plastic and the rubber part, but it' so tiny I can't even guess what scredriver I'd need for it.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... it's a tough call. I could get a Rift S for the same price and have a desktop that easily run it... I guess the question becomes do I want the higher quality graphics or wireless play...

That's the question. I wound up having both and returned the Quest. I know that ultimately, I would regret not having access to the PCVR stuff (without having to resort to streaming). I just couldn't justify having both @ $400 each. If I was going to spend $800 + tax, I'd rather put it towards the Index.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
YES!

It's finally here!
Charging.
All I've done so far is to mess around in the Oculus iOS app and while the set up was amazing, the Store seems kinda bad and barren to say the least? No demo sections (if I type Demo I get 5 results, are those all of them?) or an app section even? In general it seems a bit crappy.

Anyway can I just go along and buy stuff on the italian store or is there regional pricing with more convenient stores or should I, dunno if that's possible, get the Rift version (maybe they have a lower price?) or I don't even know if there are any "key" resellers?
20€ for Thumper after all these years seems a bit steep, to name one, I'm prepared to pay for the games I just want to be sure I'm not overpaying while others are saving money having a found better way (that I'm unaware of) to make their purchases

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Okay, I've been trying to find some consensus on the best stuff. I'm pretty convinced on Beat Saber and I'm likely going to get Superhot. The issue I have is that I have a pretty small space in which to play unless I rearrange a ton of stuff. Which, I might end up doing! But not right now, I'm just too busy. What are the best games to play seated or with minimal space?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
YES!

It's finally here!
Charging.
All I've done so far is to mess around in the Oculus iOS app and while the set up was amazing, the Store seems kinda bad and barren to say the least? No demo sections (if I type Demo I get 5 results, are those all of them?) or an app section even? In general it seems a bit crappy.

Anyway can I just go along and buy stuff on the italian store or is there regional pricing with more convenient stores or should I, dunno if that's possible, get the Rift version (maybe they have a lower price?) or I don't even know if there are any "key" resellers?
20€ for Thumper after all these years seems a bit steep, to name one, I'm prepared to pay for the games I just want to be sure I'm not overpaying while others are saving money having a found better way (that I'm unaware of) to make their purchases

Oculus/FB seemed to have put a restriction/cooldown period on anything new after system released. There has been no new things on the store for Oculus since its release on 5/21 from what I noticed.

There aren't many demo's. But the return policy for the Oculus Store are pretty generous. As long as you are within 14 days, have less than 2 hours of play time, and haven't uninstalled the app before refund (something about that's how it keeps track of your refund eligibility data). You can ask for a refund. Just make sure you don't go overboard on refunding things as there is a restriction on how many you can refund over a certain time period.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Okay, I've been trying to find some consensus on the best stuff. I'm pretty convinced on Beat Saber and I'm likely going to get Superhot. The issue I have is that I have a pretty small space in which to play unless I rearrange a ton of stuff. Which, I might end up doing! But not right now, I'm just too busy. What are the best games to play seated or with minimal space?

Ultrawings if you like the idea of flying in a cockpit (very much a seated experience, I love it but would avoid early days if you are prone to any motion sickness).

Moss is meant to be very good and is primarily a seated or standing experience. Robo Recall is mostly standing & teleport and is good fun.

Vader Immortal if you like Star Wars or something to show off what it can do graphically, can utilise space in the room but works fine teleporting.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
That table tennis game looks kinda amazing and I've been a semi-pro player in my younger years, is it good?

Oculus/FB seemed to have put a restriction/cooldown period on anything new after system released. There has been no new things on the store for Oculus since its release on 5/21 from what I noticed.

There aren't many demo's. But the return policy for the Oculus Store are pretty generous. As long as you are within 14 days, have less than 2 hours of play time, and haven't uninstalled the app before refund (something about that's how it keeps track of your refund eligibility data). You can ask for a refund. Just make sure you don't go overboard on refunding things as there is a restriction on how many you can refund over a certain time period.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry to bother with questions you must have read a thousand times already.

Btw I didn't realize there was no way to experience the audio feed out of the box lol
For some reason I assumed it had headphones built in. Thank god I have a good pair of headphones with me here :P

Alright so you say I could treat refund as kinda demoing games. I'm obviously not gonna buy stuff I have no interest in but I'd like to sample a bunch of them.

Are there any must have apps?
Should I bother with sideloading (don't have a VR capable gaming pc btw so no streaming).

I'm sad there are no Pinball games :(
I remember a crappy version of Stern Pinball on Gear VR and I don't really want that.
Hopefully Zen Studios will release a Quest version of PFX3 with the Williams/Bally packs.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
That table tennis game looks kinda amazing and I've been a semi-pro player in my younger years, is it good?

Definitely keep a look out for 'eleven table tennis'. It is meant to be releasing super soon on Quest and is supposed to be much more of a sim (and overall higher quality) experience than Racket Fury.

Sneak peak from the devs:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Btw I didn't realize there was no way to experience the audio feed out of the box lol
For some reason I assumed it had headphones built in. Thank god I have a good pair of headphones with me here :P

Alright so you say I could treat refund as kinda demoing games. I'm obviously not gonna buy stuff I have no interest in but I'd like to sample a bunch of them.

Quest has audio speaker built into the HMD itself that is piped to you. I'm not an audiophile so it works enough for me, although the surrounding area will hear what is being played.

I wouldn't suggest trying a bunch of things with the expectations to just refund them. Not sure how long the restriction is for after you hit the limit. Buy the things that interest you with the expectation to keep them. But yeah, if you try it and don't like it you can just refund it.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way to replay the tutorial ? Especially the section where I had to hold a gun with both hands and shoot at multiple moving objects. The tutorial is my fav part. Please tell me there is a way to replay it.

Also does anyone have an issue with a gap just above your nose? I can see my room if i look slightly down. I really tightened the headset as much as possible but alas. Anyone who has the same issue know for a fix?

Feb 15, 2018
You're all going to play that Rec Room quest as soon as it comes out. I guess those of us in team RMA could play it together in a week or two.
Agreed. Apparently I have a unit on its way to me for tomorrow, but given everywhere is out of stock I'm not sure where my supplier is providing this one from. Hopefully they are not just sending the same faulty unit back to me....

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to get back the sweet spot / IPD configuration stage with the green lines?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Also does anyone have an issue with a gap just above your nose? I can see my room if i look slightly down. I really tightened the headset as much as possible but alas. Anyone who has the same issue know for a fix?

Yep, the nose gap/some light leaking in pretty much comes with the territory with VR, some people mind it more than others (I sometimes use it to sneak a look at my phone).

Best thing I would recommend if it really bothers you or you can't get used to it would be to get an aftermarket cover like a 'VRCover' that has thicker or longer padding that can be used to block more of the nose gap.

Is there a way to get back the sweet spot / IPD configuration stage with the green lines?

Yes, it's in your library under tutorial. There is an icon next to first steps which is a picture of the Quest, go on that to redo the green lines/fitting.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I have only played Superhot on this and PSVR but it definitely has worse lighting than the PSVR version but its sharper. However the lack of a long wire you could step on and in the PSVR case, not having to stay inside the tracking window/free movement>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> better lighting

Beesly

Dec 12, 2017
Just got an update from Amazon adding a delivery date to my order! June 19 or 20. It's so close but so far away...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a good tracker for VR games on sale on the Oculus Store?

Definitely keep a look out for 'eleven table tennis'. It is meant to be releasing super soon on Quest and is supposed to be much more of a sim (and overall higher quality) experience than Racket Fury.

Sneak peak from the devs:

Looks awesome! Will def watching it, thanks
Quest has audio speaker built into the HMD itself that is piped to you. I'm not an audiophile so it works enough for me, although the surrounding area will hear what is being played.

I wouldn't suggest trying a bunch of things with the expectations to just refund them. Not sure how long the restriction is for after you hit the limit. Buy the things that interest you with the expectation to keep them. But yeah, if you try it and don't like it you can just refund it.
It has directional speakers built in, no headphones required. You probably had the volume all the way down?

lol YEP 🤦🏼‍♂️🤪

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So if i want to use steamvr on my Quest, do I need a gaming ready PC or is just having a 5G router enough?

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, the nose gap/some light leaking in pretty much comes with the territory with VR, some people mind it more than others (I sometimes use it to sneak a look at my phone).

Best thing I would recommend if it really bothers you or you can't get used to it would be to get an aftermarket cover like a 'VRCover' that has thicker or longer padding that can be used to block more of the nose gap.

Yes, it's in your library under tutorial. There is an icon next to first steps which is a picture of the Quest, go on that to redo the green lines/fitting.

Thanks a lot, will immediately look into that.

Oct 30, 2017
So, has anyone played Dead and Buried 2? I am always afraid of grabbing multiplayer games on VR just because of the low player numbers that I notice when a single player game with multiplayer functionality tells you player numbers, like VR dungeon knight or Trickster VR.

There is really no way to tell if these games are dead before you spend money on them and it seems like the only online shooters that are active in VR are military shooters. It would be nice if dead and buried 2 had an active player base.

Also, anyone know if that game lets you disable the mic? I have still yet to find a way to turn it off on the hardware.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, has anyone played Dead and Buried 2? I am always afraid of grabbing multiplayer games on VR just because of the low player numbers that I notice when a single player game with multiplayer functionality tells you player numbers, like VR dungeon knight or Trickster VR.

There is really no way to tell if these games are dead before you spend money on them and it seems like the only online shooters that are active in VR are military shooters. It would be nice if dead and buried 2 had an active player base.

Also, anyone know if that game lets you disable the mic? I have still yet to find a way to turn it off on the hardware.
You can always try it for 2 hours and within 2 weeks and if not good enough ask for a refund.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
SideQuest is now out for the quest for custom beat saber songs and should work with windows mac or linux.
I'm still not sure how much I can link in regards to this stuff so I will just leave things at this.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Which ping pong game is more fun for a non technical player with low skill?

I understand that one is a better simulation.

That doesn't make it a better game for me.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
huh sidequest installs things in the extras folder instead of a custom folder... so technically I have access to two folders now :P

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
My VR cover has made it to Germany from Thailand. Hopefully it will take just a couple more days until it hits the UK.