• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
As a happy Quest owner, what's coming down the pipe that looks amazing? Vader Episode 2 is the only thing I can think of.
Unfortunately, Oculus has kept pretty quiet about future games, and they aren't letting developers announce them yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see some get announced/released during E3. We do know Beat Saber is getting a second DLC song pack June 10th

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
As a happy Quest owner, what's coming down the pipe that looks amazing? Vader Episode 2 is the only thing I can think of.
Literally the only game I know of that is confirmed coming to the quest is the Spice and Wolf VR game lol.
I can't recall much in the way of announcements for the thing right now.
Pavlov looks pretty good from the videos people are posting of it on the Oculus Quest subreddit.
As far as I know that isn't officially announced yet, they just have an alpha of it that you can sideload and they hope to get the game on there later :P

we know there are a couple developers that have quest ready versions available but aren't allowed on the store yet.

in other thoughts while playing beat saber my audio got really weird... almost like my right speaker was blown. but at the very least very staticy on low notes. After I reset it was fine, but still it was odd.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I want to mention that 48 packs of Insignia AA batteries are on sale at best buy. either $7.99 in store or $7.19 if you sign up for their "EASY REPLENISH" which is a subscribe and save thing so just cancel after you get them.

battery life on the controllers seems pretty good so far, but I know I will need these things and figured I should mention in the thread in case others need some batteries :P

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The Climb from Crytek is on its way (very much looking forward to this).
Pavlov as well.

Otherwise there seems be a bit of a void but I suspect surprise-ports of various PC projects to pop in now and then.

I still have a few launch games I want to play through though like Journey of the Gods.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
What I assume is the second-last level of Journey of the Gods is what the whole game
Should be like. Ive enjoyed the whole thing (currently on the last level but it glitched out) but that level really came together on the puzzle side of things and hinted towards a much deeper, Zelda type game.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
RacketNX is definitely confirmed.

Supposedly the "quiet" periods ends June 4th. Facebook wanted things calm so everything could just be focused. Devs weren't even allowed to release patches for current games until June 4th. So we should be hearing a lot more in a couple days.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
The Climb from Crytek is on its way (very much looking forward to this).
Pavlov as well.

Otherwise there seems be a bit of a void but I suspect surprise-ports of various PC projects to pop in now and then.

I still have a few launch games I want to play through though like Journey of the Gods.
Never played The Climb, is it good? Heard some good things about it!

Feb 15, 2018
What I assume is the second-last level of Journey of the Gods is what the whole game
Should be like. Ive enjoyed the whole thing (currently on the last level but it glitched out) but that level really came together on the puzzle side of things and hinted towards a much deeper, Zelda type game.

How do you feel the full game compares to the demo? I really wanted to enjoy it, but found it all overly simplistic and the god powers a bit arbitrary. Does the full game start offering a bit more agency in the choices you make etc?

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
How do you feel the full game compares to the demo? I really wanted to enjoy it, but found it all overly simplistic and the god powers a bit arbitrary. Does the full game start offering a bit more agency in the choices you make etc?

My demos didn't load oddly so I couldn't say. There's definitely a couple things in the game that had me thinking and a couple puzzles with more than one solution but on the whole it's fairly basic. I think the god powers in general are well conceived but the game fails to make full use of them, undoubtedly.

The level in refering to us much better in that regard as there's multiple times you see something and don't know how to interact with it, until you get the power. It's almost like a mini Metroidvania. I could have done with all the levels being like that - normally your powers aren't hinted at before you get them.

Feb 15, 2018
My demos didn't load oddly so I couldn't say. There's definitely a couple things in the game that had me thinking and a couple puzzles with more than one solution but on the whole it's fairly basic. I think the god powers in general are well conceived but the game fails to make full use of them, undoubtedly.

The level in refering to us much better in that regard as there's multiple times you see something and don't know how to interact with it, until you get the power. It's almost like a mini Metroidvania. I could have done with all the levels being like that - normally your powers aren't hinted at before you get them.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it sounds like I was looking for the kind of thing that the level you refer to offers. Good to hear that there is a bit of that later on, even if it is an exception.

Ninjatogo

Oct 28, 2017
Literally the only game I know of that is confirmed coming to the quest is the Spice and Wolf VR game lol.
I can't recall much in the way of announcements for the thing right now.

As far as I know that isn't officially announced yet, they just have an alpha of it that you can sideload and they hope to get the game on there later :P

we know there are a couple developers that have quest ready versions available but aren't allowed on the store yet.

in other thoughts while playing beat saber my audio got really weird... almost like my right speaker was blown. but at the very least very staticy on low notes. After I reset it was fine, but still it was odd.
I got that static-like issue as well (and in the right-side speaker), but I got it in First Contact. Hopefully they can fix that issue in the near future.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of any VR Cover alternatives? VR Cover is based in Thailand and ships via DHL to Canada, and sure enough I've found horror stories online of people paying $120 CAD for a $20 USD VR Cover. Fuck that noise. Are there any better alternatives that won't cost a ridiculous amount in customs fees?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally have some money to get one of these and the 64GB version is sold out everywhere atm. Sucks but I'll wait it out I guess!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of any VR Cover alternatives? VR Cover is based in Thailand and ships via DHL to Canada, and sure enough I've found horror stories online of people paying $120 CAD for a $20 USD VR Cover. Fuck that noise. Are there any better alternatives that won't cost a ridiculous amount in customs fees?

If you don't mind waiting, they have a presence on Amazon. They'll probably start selling them there once supply > demand.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly the "quiet" periods ends June 4th. Facebook wanted things calm so everything could just be focused. Devs weren't even allowed to release patches for current games until June 4th. So we should be hearing a lot more in a couple days.
This just seems like a really stupid way to go about it from Oculus.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind waiting, they have a presence on Amazon. They'll probably start selling them there once supply > demand.

Ah, I did find the Rift cover on Amazon but no Quest one yet. If it's just a matter of time then I'll wait, the import duties being built in on Amazon.ca (and being much much much more reasonable) is a big win.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Keep an eye on amazon. It had both versions up for a very short time today. Alternatively there is Oculus which is said to be shipping in a couple of days. I am sure the retail stores will also get occasional restocks.

Wasn't sure how accurate the Oculus store was. I'm moving in a few weeks so I'm a little worried to order from there. Will keep an eye on Amazon though.

Anyone know how accurate Oculus normally are?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I've been curious about what might be coming down the line before I buy one, seems odd that they haven't released any info about those kind of projects. I don't think it has anything to do with gauging interest from customers, they probably knew they'd have a decent hit on their hands at least.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Have been thinking about why I bounced off Shadow Point pretty hard and I think some of it is down to world interactivity. There are a ton of small objects, cupboards and doors in the world but you can only pick up or touch a very small number of puzzle related objects that are mixed in with the other stuff. It just irked me a bit along with the technical issue I had and the puzzles themselves feeling a bit unexciting.

Thinking of picking up either Apex construct or Journey of the Gods now. Will give the demo of the latter a go again before I make a choice, I enjoyed it before but ran into a progress halting bug and couldn't really tell how much the basic crossbow combat would remain exciting. Anyone got any preference between these two??

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips on decent 180 3d VR videos? Youtube seems to have 180 but not 3d that I can find. Don't mind downloading for better quality or streaming from my NAS

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Any tips on decent 180 3d VR videos? Youtube seems to have 180 but not 3d that I can find. Don't mind downloading for better quality or streaming from my NAS
Yeah the YouTube app doesn't allow cardboard switching for SBS 3d for anything but 180 and 360 VR. Hopefully they update that. The Freddy Kruger 180 VR video is in 3d for the rendered parts. Another shot with the insta 360 camera is 3d footage all the way through.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Have been thinking about why I bounced off Shadow Point pretty hard and I think some of it is down to world interactivity. There are a ton of small objects, cupboards and doors in the world but you can only pick up or touch a very small number of puzzle related objects that are mixed in with the other stuff. It just irked me a bit along with the technical issue I had and the puzzles themselves feeling a bit unexciting.

Thinking of picking up either Apex construct or Journey of the Gods now. Will give the demo of the latter a go again before I make a choice, I enjoyed it before but ran into a progress halting bug and couldn't really tell how much the basic crossbow combat would remain exciting. Anyone got any preference between these two??

I totally know what you mean. And even the elements that you *can* interact with like levers and valves all animated in a stiff manner that doesn't reflect real life. When games like Job Simulator really nails everything about physical interactivity out of the gate, it really makes the games that does it mediocre-ly stand out.

I also had this derp moment where I noticed I was making things really hard on myself but trying to do these shadow puzzles without standing in front of the light...until I realized that I actually have no corporeal form.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I totally know what you mean. And even the elements that you *can* interact with like levers and valves all animated in a stiff manner that doesn't reflect real life. When games like Job Simulator really nails everything about physical interactivity out of the gate, it really makes the games that does it mediocre-ly stand out.

I also had this derp moment where I noticed I was making things really hard on myself but trying to do these shadow puzzles without standing in front of the light...until I realized that I actually have no corporeal form.

Agreed...pulling a lever and it not moving with your hand but instead following what feels like a preset animation just doesn't feel right.

Just finished Superhot VR...absolutely incredible! My one criticism would be the whole 'disk based menu' system isn't always the most intuitive to use. I put in the guest disk and can't tell if it has reset the game or not really. The game itself though is just sublime, the ultimate power fantasy.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Had my 1 inch (thick) exercise mats arrive today. It's very comforting to know that as long as I'm standing on the mats, I can't smack anything with a swing.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I much preferred Apex over Journey myself. Bow felt much more tactile in that game.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
superhot is decently interesting at max level guardian field, but it takes some of the tension away from the levels.

that being said it's fun to pretend you are Kitty Pryde and just phasing through the walls and popping out and killing people.

as I said the limit was around 15x15 and it's a bit awkward to max it out as it just stops letting you draw, and you can't just make a rectangle it comes out as a bit of an odd shape if you are trying to max it out lol

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Had my 1 inch (thick) exercise mats arrive today. It's very comforting to know that as long as I'm standing on the mats, I can't smack anything with a swing.

How big is your mat area? If I did that it'd be a piece of string about 2ft long :/

Need more space generally (stupid small UK houses) let alone big enough to have a dedicated mat on the floor

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Looks like modded casting support for Beat Saber will probably be coming soon, this is from the person who makes the custom song GUI.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like modded casting support for Beat Saber will probably be coming soon, this is from the person who makes the custom song GUI.

nice. the quest sabers are boring (they are downgraded even beyond ps4) so something closer to a light saber would be nice. I wouldn't mind making them slightly longer either if possible >.>

casting will also be nice I guess, but most people don't like watching beat saber for long because the movements make them sick while watching lol.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
How big is your mat area? If I did that it'd be a piece of string about 2ft long :/

Need more space generally (stupid small UK houses) let alone big enough to have a dedicated mat on the floor

4 X 6 feet (1 box) is basically perfect for me. The actual safe space is around 10 X 12 feet, but I have long arms. So that eats a lot of my space if I want to avoid smashing things with a wild swing. This basically means as long as my foot isn't off the mat, I can swing and be secure that I've got a couple inches clearance no matter how wild it is.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and if I take a look in the vrserver.txt log in Steam, I can see that it was loaded --

Code:
Loaded server driver alvr_server (IServerTrackedDeviceProvider_004) from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win64\driver_alvr_server.dll

That win64 is the proper folder.

However, when I look at the vrclient_Steam.txt log file, I see this --

Code:
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.651 - Steam.exe 1.4.18 startup with PID=11996, config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config, runtime=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.651 - vrclient type=VRApplication_SteamWatchdog
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.684 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.686 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.686 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to load driver alvr_server from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win32\driver_alvr_server.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver alvr_server: VRInitError_Init_FileNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Could not create interface in driver gamepad from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\gamepad\bin\win32\driver_gamepad.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver gamepad: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.700 - error VRInitError_Init_LowPowerWatchdogNotSupported when initing driver lighthouse from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\bin\win32\driver_lighthouse.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.700 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver lighthouse: VRInitError_Init_LowPowerWatchdogNotSupported
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Could not create interface in driver oculus from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\oculus\bin\win32\driver_oculus.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver oculus: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Could not create interface in driver oculus_legacy from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\oculus_legacy\bin\win32\driver_oculus_legacy.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver oculus_legacy: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - No drivers were capable of being watchdogs. Failing init.

Notice how it says "Unable to load driver alvr_server from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win32\driver_alvr_server.dll." ? It's looking for a win32 folder, which isn't even included in the ALVR files from github.

So that's another oddity I've noticed, but not sure what it means or how to fix. I have tried simply copying the driver files to a new folder called "win32" but I still see the same error in the vrclient_Steam.txt log, so I think this may be a red herring.

The main reason I think the "Timed out waiting for a good app key" is the culprit is because that's the first error I see in all log files when comparing the timestamps.

I've been down quite the rabbit hole with this and I'm stuck :(
I finally figured out my issue with ALVR. Just in case someone else happens to have a similar issue, I went to the Windows Application Event viewer and looked at the crash logs of SteamVR. I saw a line that said "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\USB_Vibration\00791800\EZFRD64.DLL" - I renamed that DLL to DLL.bak and it works now.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Enjoying Robo Recall a lot. It is a really impressive Quest port.

I think the biggest loss is something to do with the weapons firing feedback or perhaps a lack of impact effect when you hit an enemy. Something about that just doesn't feel as punchy as the PC game for some reason.

Pretty much everything else is spot on though, grabbing the robots and tearing parts off feels amazing along with catching the bullets and throwing them back.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been super impressed by Bogo as an intro to VR game for showing people my Quest. Free, super cute, and has some easy to understand interactions.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, it's not like we are lacking games or the games are buggy. I think Oculus wanted to launch the device with around 50 quality games, and give it a month to let things settle, get great reviews based on it having a very high percentage of great games. That also puts these games in the Quest mindset, ranks these games higher in lists of what the device is known for, so even though the Quest will eventually have thousands of games, it will be known for these great launch titles. If they had completely opened the floodgates, maybe the reviews would have been "great hardware, but full of mediocre software". This was actually one of the problems with the OUYA game console, it actually had a lot of great games at launch...but so, SO MUCH crap to sift through to find them, and a store not built to handle that, it got a reputation as having only crap mobile game ports.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Keep hearing rumours that we should expect alot of news tomorrow. That June 4th is some sort of embargo date. Anyone know where this belief came from?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Keep hearing rumours that we should expect alot of news tomorrow. That June 4th is some sort of embargo date. Anyone know where this belief came from?
I would think June 10th is more likely, since that's the announced date of Beat Saber's next DLC pack. The supposed lock-down on downloads needs to be lifted by then, and one would think they would release that the first moment they are able, especially with the fast modding advances. The more songs the base game has the less people will feel the need to go to the effort to mod the game, and once someone mods it, they are less likely to pay for song packs.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

What do you mean not 3D? Use the YouTube app and manual search for VR180, pretty much all the results it gives me are stereoscopic. Don't think I've ever seen a 2D 180 video, though there are a shit ton of worthless 2D 360, which is perhaps what you're referring to. Most VR180 vids are shot on the $300-$400 consumer cameras like the Mirage and Vuze, but even they are crazy impressive. I'm very curious what their native output looks like before YT compression destroys it.