• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm loving the Quest but one thing to me is clear, it is impossible for me to consume any 2D content at these resolutions, it's just not enough. In a 6DOF game this doesn't matter so much because the movement hides very well this fact and the objects very close to you will have a decent amount of pixels to render them realistically.

But a movie or any 2d content at a reasonable distance from you simply loses too much detail for me to even consider watching it over even a 1080p TV.

I think now I understand why they say the minimum resolution for realistic VR will be 8K per eye, this is why. I'm pretty sure that when we reach those resolutions VR is going to be incredible for all kinds of content and it will open up to way more usage cases.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You me and Kaz Frankenstein can form a support group. I'm going to play Blood and Truth to tide me over but I worry that it's just going to annoy me in all the ways PSVR is inferior to the Quest and I won't appreciate all the things that are good about it.

Every time playing a PSVR exclusive: how much better wouldn't this game be on Rift/VIVE?

Having better tracking and room scale makes PSVR so much inferior.

PSVR is for me a exclusive machine.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving the Quest but one thing to me is clear, it is impossible for me to consume any 2D content at these resolutions, it's just not enough. In a 6DOF game this doesn't matter so much because the movement hides very well this fact and the objects very close to you will have a decent amount of pixels to render them realistically.

But a movie or any 2d content at a reasonable distance from you simply loses too much detail for me to even consider watching it over even a 1080p TV.

I think now I understand why they say the minimum resolution for realistic VR will be 8K per eye, this is why. I'm pretty sure that when we reach those resolutions VR is going to be incredible for all kinds of content and it will open up to way more usage cases.

I think at large screen sizes its pretty close to good enough. I think the pentile pixel arrangement isn't helpful though. Same resolution with RGB stripe would be a little step forward. 1600x1440 currently - 4k per eye should get us over that threshold IMO (or whatever that equivalent would be at the aspect ratio VR uses - 3200x2880?)

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
One of the things I hate on the PSVR is low resolution (besides the bad tracking). The Quest seems like an amazing device.

I'll likely get one around Christmas. I wonder if Quest 2 will come next year or if this will last a while longer? Curious what the plans are for succession. Since I do have PSVR waiting for a Quest 2 seems like a sensible option.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Just (hopefully) bought one, did my daily ritual of checking the big UK sites - Amazon, Argos, Curry's, Scan etc. - John Lewis had 64GB units showing 9 in stock! dilly-dallied around Era for a moment, refreshed JL, down to 5 lol. Instant FOMO, order placed asap! :D Showed zero in stock by the time I'd made an account and filled out my payment details, but confirmation came through so here's hoping! I was mostly expecting to see some 128GB units and hem and haw and decide against, again, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback on screen door, I have a S7 Edge Gear VR which is almost as high resolution but horrendous SDE, and a chunky pixels PSVR with near zero SDE, so I know the two are not related. But the feedbacks were all helpful in their own way.

I'm also buying for almost exactly the wrong reasons - main goal is to use Riftcat / ALVR, lol - so I hope to hell that stays a working thing and gets better even. I want to play Elite Dangerous and F1 driving sims. However, even if that fails I will have some fun surely and I hope I will be spurred in to learning to VR dev with Unreal / Unity now I have something 6DOF and dev-capable! Am excited!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just (hopefully) bought one, did my daily ritual of checking the big UK sites - Amazon, Argos, Curry's, Scan etc. - John Lewis had 64GB units showing 9 in stock! dilly-dallied around Era for a moment, refreshed JL, down to 5 lol. Instant FOMO, order placed asap! :D Showed zero in stock by the time I'd made an account and filled out my payment details, but confirmation came through so here's hoping! I was mostly expecting to see some 128GB units and hem and haw and decide against, again, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback on screen door, I have a S7 Edge Gear VR which is almost as high resolution but horrendous SDE, and a chunky pixels PSVR with near zero SDE, so I know the two are not related. But the feedbacks were all helpful in their own way.

I'm also buying for almost exactly the wrong reasons - main goal is to use Riftcat / ALVR, lol - so I hope to hell that stays a working thing and gets better even. I want to play Elite Dangerous and F1 driving sims. However, even if that fails I will have some fun surely and I hope I will be spurred in to learning to VR dev with Unreal / Unity now I have something 6DOF and dev-capable! Am excited!

Delivery or collection from JL/Waitrose? Hoping to get it by the weekend?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Delivery or collection from JL/Waitrose? Hoping to get it by the weekend?
Went for delivery tomorrow, £6.95 not bad but stings a little I'm spoiled by Prime. Collection tomorrow was an option too for free, but it'd prob cost me half that in petrol and an hour of my time so figured may as well pay. If collection today was available I'd have jumped on it though!

diddykong13

Oct 29, 2017
So it's early days, but I just installed a bunch of custom songs for Beat Saber on my Quest and it works beautifully! Currently it requires quite a bit of tech know-how but the guides are clear enough to follow. Should just get easier and easier from this point onwards!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So it's early days, but I just installed a bunch of custom songs for Beat Saber on my Quest and it works beautifully! Currently it requires quite a bit of tech know-how but the guides are clear enough to follow. Should just get easier and easier from this point onwards!

Custom Song support is already available now?

That was fast!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You can always use moonrider.xyz to get a feel for custom tracks if you don't have a PC you can play them on. They can be hit or miss and I don't know how easy it is to remove ones you don't like? I'm sure that tool will have a gui pretty quickly though which will make it easier

If you're Mac only you could try a windows VM?
I felt just going to the beat saber custom page and watching the tracks got me a better feel for the custom songs than moonrider. Moonrider is neat but doesn't feel quite right. I imagine it will get better with time. Currently there is no easy way to keep track of songs you like or don't like on moonrider that i saw.
One of the things I hate on the PSVR is low resolution (besides the bad tracking). The Quest seems like an amazing device.

I'll likely get one around Christmas. I wonder if Quest 2 will come next year or if this will last a while longer? Curious what the plans are for succession. Since I do have PSVR waiting for a Quest 2 seems like a sensible option.
it was 3 years between the rift and the rift S and the best thing for the quest is getting it even cheaper to make it able to be an impulse buy for a casual gamer. I think it's safe to think a new quest is a few years away. I imagine 2-3 years for a quest that has better tracking and other minor improvements and 5-6 years until eye tracking which from what i've been told could be a complete game changer for the quest because it could potentially allow them to get visuals up to 20x better than what we currently have on the same specs.

I wouldn't say it requires much tech know how at all.
you need to know hot to install some programs, move some files, and extract some zips. Very basic computer things.
the big thing is you just have to follow the guide.

either way I imagine it will get easier when if nothing else all the things you need are packaged in a single file so all you will have to do is run something and it will auto install everything and set up the tool.

beyond that it seems like an easier interface for the injector will be nice, especially if we get custom folder names for the custom songs as right now they are all shoved in a single folder.

edit: oh yeah you have to watch a guide to get it in developer mode as well, but again not hard at all.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Still happy to hear its working!

Im this close to pulling the trigger on the purchase

Do it

With high resolution screen, adjustable IPD, OLED screen, untethered, custom songs on Beat Saber, sideloading of apps, great progress on streaming PCVR to the headset - all in 10 days - I'd argue the quest is the best all round VR headset available right now

diddykong13

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say it requires much tech know how at all.
you need to know hot to install some programs, move some files, and extract some zips. Very basic computer things.
the big thing is you just have to follow the guide.
Ah, sounds like you were using a different method to me - the one I used required a lot of manual adb, dotnet and java cmd commands to extract, patch and re-sign the apk. I guess they've already wrapped all this up into a tool then?

Great to know that there is an even easier method already available! Can't wait until it's all in-app like the PC mods :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, sounds like you were using a different method to me - the one I used required a lot of manual adb, dotnet and java cmd commands to extract, patch and re-sign the apk.

Great to know that there is an even easier method already available! Can't wait until it's all in-app like the PC mods :)
I used the one that was posted in this thread.
it required me to download like 7 things.
of those things I had to install 2-3 of them.
the rest I just had to extract and then drop into the tool folder of one.

After I got that done I just needed to download custom songs, drop them in the convert folder, and run the bat file with the quest connected in developer mode.

it was automatically done in CMD, and after you got so far you just had to check for errors, but even if you didn't know anything about computers you just had to hit enter/space at that point and hope that it worked. if it did it would put beat saber back on with custom songs, if it didn't it would uninstall beat saber and you would have to download it fresh again.

I had minor issues getting my computer to recongize the headset properly (couldn't get the prompt to allow data access to pop without dropping the headset out of developer mode, but once I got the prompt and did it it went back into developer mode just fine) and then it failed t he first time because I missed there was a second prompt wanting access to usb something the headset lol.

now all I have to do is put songs in the folder, and hit run if I want new songs. Though I lose my save each time I do it... but I don't really care about that lol.

either way it should get a lot smoother to do very soon, but it wasn't to bad to follow. my old self just getting into PC gaming a decade ago could have easily done it, and I have done with a ton of stuff far more complicated over the years lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I used the one that was posted in this thread.
it required me to download like 7 things.
of those things I had to install 2-3 of them.
the rest I just had to extract and then drop into the tool folder of one.

After I got that done I just needed to download custom songs, drop them in the convert folder, and run the bat file with the quest connected in developer mode.

it was automatically done in CMD, and after you got so far you just had to check for errors, but even if you didn't know anything about computers you just had to hit enter/space at that point and hope that it worked. if it did it would put beat saber back on with custom songs, if it didn't it would uninstall beat saber and you would have to download it fresh again.

I had minor issues getting my computer to recongize the headset properly (couldn't get the prompt to allow data access to pop without dropping the headset out of developer mode, but once I got the prompt and did it it went back into developer mode just fine) and then it failed t he first time because I missed there was a second prompt wanting access to usb something the headset lol.

now all I have to do is put songs in the folder, and hit run if I want new songs. Though I lose my save each time I do it... but I don't really care about that lol.

either way it should get a lot smoother to do very soon, but it wasn't to bad to follow. my old self just getting into PC gaming a decade ago could have easily done it, and I have done with a ton of stuff far more complicated over the years lol.

you using adb with the -k parameter? Someone said that should keep your data files intact

Feb 15, 2018
I'm kinda starting to wish i hadn't sent mine in for the dead pixel. Deep down i know its the right thing to have done, but i do worry about how long i am going to end up having to wait. Browsing the PSVR store - my goodness there are some great games that have launched recently, but i'm so put off by the tracking. The Quest really emphasized just how prominent world wobble is in many PSVR 6dof games. I wonder if less of the new VR users will suffer with nausea when using the Quest for this reason.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Feeling really left out with all this Beat Saber talk. Really frustrating for me with all the phantom misses. I hit their Twitter and submitted a question through their site, but I guess they are big enough now that they just don't care.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
So where's the hype for what's next? Been looking for next big Quest releases or hype videos on YouTube, but nada. I'm surprised that there aren't more PC ports like The Accounting. Other than the potential Chronos link, shouldn't there be more news about new software? This was a new console launch essentially

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Feeling really left out with all this Beat Saber talk. Really frustrating for me with all the phantom misses. I hit their Twitter and submitted a question through their site, but I guess they are big enough now that they just don't care.

Did you say you tried doing slow and deliberate swings? Because I tried this yesterday and got FC (although my score sucked from a lot of low scores... although some strangly still registered as 109 hits).

I'm really beginning to think it's an issue with dropping the physics update rate in the Quest version. I was experimenting yesterday, and if I really flick my wrists, I can occassionally get my saber through a box without ever triggering the collider (not even registering a fail state). I'm beginning to think my issue is with swings that have too much acceleration happening (and if you miss the entry collider, they then give you a fail state). I had somewhat similar issues with Zelda for the Wii. I was so disappointed it needed shakes on the nunchuk, because a depressing amount of times when I flicked my wrist, it would be too fast and fail to register. This is a completely different issue, but I do think it may be entirely related to rapid wrist flicks sometimes passing through the collider before they properly register (due to a reduced physics rate on the Quest version). Feels like they needed one of us on the testing team. A bigger box collider or higher physics rate (or just a more aggressive polling method on the saber) probably would fix it.

So where's the hype for what's next? Been looking for next big Quest releases or hype videos on YouTube, but nada. I'm surprised that there aren't more PC ports like The Accounting. Other than the potential Chronos link, shouldn't there be more news about new software? This was a new console launch essentially

RacketNX?

We had stories (pre-launch) about super strict NDAs about what devs could and couldn't say. I almost wonder if devs are still under NDA and Oculus just wants launch titles to have their moment to shine before new info is allowed to be released.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Did you say you tried doing slow and deliberate swings? Because I tried this yesterday and got FC (although my score sucked from a lot of low scores... although some strangly still registered as 109 hits).

I'm really beginning to think it's an issue with dropping the physics update rate in the Quest version. I was experimenting yesterday, and if I really flick my wrists, I can occassionally get my saber through a box without ever triggering the collider (not even registering a fail state). I'm beginning to think my issue is with swings that have too much acceleration happening (and if you miss the entry collider, they then give you a fail state). I had somewhat similar issues with Zelda for the Wii. I was so disappointed it needed shakes on the nunchuk, because a depressing amount of times when I flicked my wrist, it would be too fast and fail to register. This is a completely different issue, but I do think it may be entirely related to rapid wrist flicks sometimes passing through the collider before they properly register (due to a reduced physics rate on the Quest version). Feels like they needed one of us on the testing team. A bigger box collider or higher physics rate (or just a more aggressive polling method on the saber) probably would fix it.
Yeah, I was trying to see if I could trigger the phantom miss at will. I tried literally every different way I could think of to slice the blocks, and found no consistency. Like, I couldn't trigger the fail at will, but if I try to play a song, I literally cannot finish it without a few misses - and by misses, I mean even the block shows that it sliced, but you get the red X and the 'Miss' popup.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Just had dispatch notification of my VR cover. Was actually sent out on the 27th. Will hopefully arrive next week!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was trying to see if I could trigger the phantom miss at will. I tried literally every different way I could think of to slice the blocks, and found no consistency. Like, I couldn't trigger the fail at will, but if I try to play a song, I literally cannot finish it without a few misses - and by misses, I mean even the block shows that it sliced, but you get the red X and the 'Miss' popup.

Yeah. That's how I fail during actual play sessions too. I was just pissed yesterday (after a couple inexplicable misses), so I went Hulk and really started flicking my wrists. At maximum PO levels, I was able to dodge a couple completely. But that's never happened during a normal play session. It's just the slice - X - fail that's so irritating.

I honestly can't recall this ever happening with red, though. Maybe it has, but it's predominantly blue with me. I think I'm going to swap hands next time. Blue in left hand and red in right. If it continues being a blue issue, I can suspect controller. If red suddenly becomes the problem (I'm right handed), that will pretty much confirm to me that I'm just flicking my right wrist too quickly for the reduced physics rate to always handle the collisions properly.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Let us know how it is - I just ordered one myself, but I don't think it's shipping for a few weeks. Did you order the interface as well or just the cover?

Just the leather interface actually. Didn't bother with the covers. Will definitely make a post when it arrives. Think I will be pretty early with it arriving as I ordered about an hour after they went up.

B3N1

Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly me. Just placed an order this morning. I recently bought a used 2080 for UE4/Index, but launch date is unknown here and as I saw waiting lists in launch countries are now going back to August.

The wireless-ness is a huge plus for me if ALVR is as good as everyone says it is. If not, I'll still be fine with BeatSaber and Superhot for now.

Depending on how much it grows on me, I might even wait for an Index sale.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Well bummer, I cannot get ALVR to work at all. SteamVR crashes on startup. I've been trawling through log files trying to find the issue, the best clue I have found is in the vrclient_vrstartup.txt log in the Steam logs folder

Code:
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.472 - vrstartup.exe 1.4.18 startup with PID=8052, config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config, runtime=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.472 - vrclient type=VRApplication_Bootstrapper
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.477 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.479 - Starting vrserver process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win64\vrserver.exe
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.704 - Received success response from vrserver connect
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Timed out waiting for a good app key
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - App key after connect message:system.generated.vrstartup.exe
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Closing pipe VR_ServerPipe_8668 because it was broken from the other end
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Unable to set parent container on the client path container
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Unable to init path manager: VRInitError_Init_Internal

I've tried all the usual reinstalling everything, updating my graphics card drivers, restarting, etc. Same thing every time. I feel like that "Timed out waiting for a good app key" is the culprit, but have no idea what that means. Anyone have any suggestions?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Well bummer, I cannot get ALVR to work at all. SteamVR crashes on startup. I've been trawling through log files trying to find the issue, the best clue I have found is in the vrclient_vrstartup.txt log in the Steam logs folder

Code:
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.472 - vrstartup.exe 1.4.18 startup with PID=8052, config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config, runtime=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.472 - vrclient type=VRApplication_Bootstrapper
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.476 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.477 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.479 - Starting vrserver process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win64\vrserver.exe
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:11.704 - Received success response from vrserver connect
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Timed out waiting for a good app key
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - App key after connect message:system.generated.vrstartup.exe
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Closing pipe VR_ServerPipe_8668 because it was broken from the other end
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Unable to set parent container on the client path container
Wed May 29 2019 22:38:13.816 - Unable to init path manager: VRInitError_Init_Internal

I've tried all the usual reinstalling everything, updating my graphics card drivers, restarting, etc. Same thing every time. I feel like that "Timed out waiting for a good app key" is the culprit, but have no idea what that means. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you made sure the driver is installed within the ALVR client? It's on the 'about' page i think.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That's how I fail during actual play sessions too. I was just pissed yesterday (after a couple inexplicable misses), so I went Hulk and really started flicking my wrists. At maximum PO levels, I was able to dodge a couple completely. But that's never happened during a normal play session. It's just the slice - X - fail that's so irritating.

I honestly can't recall this ever happening with red, though. Maybe it has, but it's predominantly blue with me. I think I'm going to swap hands next time. Blue in left hand and red in right. If it continues being a blue issue, I can suspect controller. If red suddenly becomes the problem (I'm right handed), that will pretty much confirm to me that I'm just flicking my right wrist too quickly for the reduced physics rate to always handle the collisions properly.
Irritating that they're retweeting people's scores and ever replying to questions about the lack of streaming, but they won't reply to someone who wants to give them money.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Irritating that they're retweeting people's scores and ever replying to questions about the lack of streaming, but they won't reply to someone who wants to give them money.

I actually had time to just test this. It's really difficult to play with hands reversed (since your cross handed on almost everything). But I was slowed enough that I wasn't getting any false misses. But it's really difficult because your going across your body on everything.

So I then played three rounds with the controllers in their right hands. But during the entire round, I was flexing and squeezing my arms against the side of my ribs. This made it a lot harder to score high hit points (and more of a workout), but I didn't get any false misses in three rounds. Maybe it's a fluke, but I don't think so. This artificial limiter on how hard I can swing seems to have solved it. Never went three rounds in a row without a incorrect miss.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

have you made a reddit post (with that gif showing the "miss")? if not, make one on the quest reddit and I'll upvote you at least!

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Have you made sure the driver is installed within the ALVR client? It's on the 'about' page i think.
Yes, and if I take a look in the vrserver.txt log in Steam, I can see that it was loaded --

Code:
Loaded server driver alvr_server (IServerTrackedDeviceProvider_004) from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win64\driver_alvr_server.dll

That win64 is the proper folder.

However, when I look at the vrclient_Steam.txt log file, I see this --

Code:
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.651 - Steam.exe 1.4.18 startup with PID=11996, config=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config, runtime=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.651 - vrclient type=VRApplication_SteamWatchdog
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.683 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.684 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\htc\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.685 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\null\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.686 - [Settings] Load Default Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.686 - [Settings] Load Json Settings from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to load driver alvr_server from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win32\driver_alvr_server.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver alvr_server: VRInitError_Init_FileNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Could not create interface in driver gamepad from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\gamepad\bin\win32\driver_gamepad.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.692 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver gamepad: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.700 - error VRInitError_Init_LowPowerWatchdogNotSupported when initing driver lighthouse from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\lighthouse\bin\win32\driver_lighthouse.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.700 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver lighthouse: VRInitError_Init_LowPowerWatchdogNotSupported
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Could not create interface in driver oculus from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\oculus\bin\win32\driver_oculus.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver oculus: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Could not create interface in driver oculus_legacy from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\drivers\oculus_legacy\bin\win32\driver_oculus_legacy.dll.
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - Unable to init watchdog mode for driver oculus_legacy: VRInitError_Init_InterfaceNotFound
Thu May 30 2019 09:32:19.701 - No drivers were capable of being watchdogs. Failing init.

Notice how it says "Unable to load driver alvr_server from C:\ALVR\ALVR\driver\bin\win32\driver_alvr_server.dll." ? It's looking for a win32 folder, which isn't even included in the ALVR files from github.

So that's another oddity I've noticed, but not sure what it means or how to fix. I have tried simply copying the driver files to a new folder called "win32" but I still see the same error in the vrclient_Steam.txt log, so I think this may be a red herring.

The main reason I think the "Timed out waiting for a good app key" is the culprit is because that's the first error I see in all log files when comparing the timestamps.

I've been down quite the rabbit hole with this and I'm stuck :(

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda starting to wish i hadn't sent mine in for the dead pixel. Deep down i know its the right thing to have done, but i do worry about how long i am going to end up having to wait. Browsing the PSVR store - my goodness there are some great games that have launched recently, but i'm so put off by the tracking. The Quest really emphasized just how prominent world wobble is in many PSVR 6dof games. I wonder if less of the new VR users will suffer with nausea when using the Quest for this reason.

Yeah, I'm quite bummed as well, but it's worth it to get a new VR headset. Mine also has a scratch on the left lens as a result of my glasses slipping with the adapter on, so they are giving me a brand new device to fix the charging issue and it gives me new lenses, so I'm trying to tough it out. Mine is shipped today, so my timer has just started. :(

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I actually had time to just test this. It's really difficult to play with hands reversed (since your cross handed on almost everything). But I was slowed enough that I wasn't getting any false misses. But it's really difficult because your going across your body on everything.

So I then played three rounds with the controllers in their right hands. But during the entire round, I was flexing and squeezing my arms against the side of my ribs. This made it a lot harder to score high hit points (and more of a workout), but I didn't get any false misses in three rounds. Maybe it's a fluke, but I don't think so. This artificial limiter on how hard I can swing seems to have solved it. Never went three rounds in a row without a incorrect miss.
Interesting. I'll give that a try. Seems odd though - like I'm playing the demo on whatever difficulty it is - there are people playing this at much harder levels - you'd think if going too fast was an issue, it would be more prevalent for them.
have you made a reddit post (with that gif showing the "miss")? if not, make one on the quest reddit and I'll upvote you at least!
I have indeed:

Here

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly me. Just placed an order this morning. I recently bought a used 2080 for UE4/Index, but launch date is unknown here and as I saw waiting lists in launch countries are now going back to August.

The wireless-ness is a huge plus for me if ALVR is as good as everyone says it is. If not, I'll still be fine with BeatSaber and Superhot for now.

Depending on how much it grows on me, I might even wait for an Index sale.

I'm not sure how good racing sims will be. 60ms is a lot of lag and I'm not sure they'll ever be able to reduce that significantly. It seems like regardless of the setting, my Quest itself was taking 21ms to decode the video stream. So even if you could somehow reduce other elements, the biggest offender in the pipeline is the Quest's decoding ability itself.

Interesting. I'll give that a try. Seems odd though - like I'm playing the demo on whatever difficulty it is - there are people playing this at much harder levels - you'd think if going too fast was an issue, it would be more prevalent for them.

I agree. That's the compelling counter. But maybe with more frantic action, you can't wind up as much and you naturally have slower swings. I don't know.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I have indeed:

Here

Have you bought the game? I think at this point the next logical step is to buy the game to see if that is perhaps somehow different. Could be a weird demo only thing. Oculus have a decent refund policy.

I know you said you didn't want to buy until you could FC the demo, but lets call this 'investigation' so it doesn't count :P

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Have you bought the game? I think at this point the next logical step is to buy the game to see if that is perhaps somehow different. Could be a weird demo only thing. Oculus have a decent refund policy.

I know you said you didn't want to buy until you could FC the demo, but lets call this 'investigation' so it doesn't count :P
Problem is I already refunded OrbusVR. I fear they might think I'm abusing the system.

Edit: Okay, posted to r/OculusQuest/ too.

Last edited:

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get Oculus Medium to work through ALVR. It's not ALVR's fault, though. I think it's not working with Revive.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I played a good bit of Super Hot and got to where I left off on PSVR. The Quest's tracking is just mind blowing. On the PSVR version I really had to work within the limits of the camera's view. Many times I'd try to turn and reach an object but the hands would glitch out since the camera could no longer see them. In the Quest version I'm like on the ground, peaking over counters/tables, reaching the gun just a little bit over and picking off a headshot. It's incredible. I'm doing all these matrix ass moves and am able to watch a bullet pass by me without worrying about the headset freaking out on me.

This device continues to blow my mind every time I use it

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Any recommendations for a single player narrative game I should buy for the Quest? I own Robo recall, vader immortal, and beatsaber. I want something that has a really tight single player story driven campaign. I hear Journey of the Gods and Moss are really great but am unsure which to buy or if there are better ones out there.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for a single player narrative game I should buy for the Quest? I own Robo recall, vader immortal, and beatsaber. I want something that has a really tight single player story driven campaign. I hear Journey of the Gods and Moss are really great but am unsure which to buy or if there are better ones out there.
I think everything is quite short right now. I'm planning to grab Moss myself based on the PSVR demo, but I need to play the Journey of the Gods demo again, I think. It didn't exactly blow me away.

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017

I started playing a game called Shadow Point and have been enjoying it. Not sure how long it is, but it's basically a puzzle game where you manipulate objects to cast shadows to solve puzzles. I'm not really into shooting things, so even though people love Space Pirate Trainer and Robot Recall, I went looking to see what else there might be that might be something I'd enjoy and came across this.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I enjoyed Moss quite a bit when it first hit Steam. I think the Quest version comes with some extra content as well? Outside of that, I've seen positive reviews for Journey of the Gods and Shadow Point, but I've not experienced either myself as I'm having the dilemma of not being sure what to buy next!