• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to stream content viewed on the Quest to an nvidia shield? Are certain games & apps restricted when it comes to streaming?

How about streaming movies from a NAS like QNap? Do I need to sideload movies in a special format loaded onto a microSD like the Gear VR needed or can movies just be streamed from a server?
The free Skybox app can stream from a DLNA server (like Plex, if you enable the option on your Plex server) or it's own PC server. Works really well with Plex for me. Even handles 3D movies.
That seems quite unbelievable. Do you mean visible pixelation or something else? I often wonder if people are misusing SDE when I see things like this.

If it's actually true, I may well reconsider getting a 128GB right away instead of waiting out a 64GB lol.
I disagree strongly that the SDE is less than PSVR.

It's much better than Vive, but nowhere near PSVR for SDE. The resolution is much better on Quest, though.

I have to wonder if people are confusing SDE and resolution. I baffles me if someone would really think the Quest has less SDE than PSVR.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Yeah, in Racket Fury the default settings for simulation mode are basically "arcade mode, but no auto-aim helper" (which is really hard, because that extra power without auto-aim means the ball goes flying off the table super easy). If you turn the power and spin to zero, that makes it a true simulation mode.
Guess I'll do that then, I will hardly hit the ball and it will fly right off the table as you said, why they aren't off by default is really dumb. Thanks for that, can't wait to try it tonight.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The free Skybox app can stream from a DLNA server (like Plex, if you enable the option on your Plex server) or it's own PC server. Works really well with Plex for me. Even handles 3D movies.

I disagree strongly that the SDE is less than PSVR.

It's much better than Vive, but nowhere near PSVR for SDE. The resolution is much better on Quest, though.

I have to wonder if people are confusing SDE and resolution. I baffles me if someone would really think the Quest has less SDE than PSVR.

Skybox will pull directly from an SMB share too so should okay direct from your NAS

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't used my PSVR in a few weeks and fired up Blood & Truth yesterday and was taken aback by the differences in panel quality, sde, and resolution compared to Quest (as in Quest is much clearer). This shouldn't be a surprise I know for obvious spec details but I wasn't expecting it to stand out so much considering I more or less knew from past PSVR sessions what it was like, guess that's just par for the course when juggling different hmds. I was also planning on getting Trover Saves the Universe on PS4 but think I'll wait until Tuesday so I can play it through Steam/ALVR. It's kinda weird how a DK1 didn't used to bother me as much of a blurry mess as that was, over the years it seems I'm a lot more sensitive to resolution and sde (I blame the decadence of 4k TVs). I could barely stand Labo VR for this reason.

While the production values are good in B&T (probably the best digital characters and "performances" I've seen in a VR game), I was also a bit underwhelmed by the overall assets. There's some seriously low res texture work going on in places and it's a bit jarring, particularly during a car chase sequence in the beginning. I know this is pretty off topic but the point I've been leading to is it's testament to how impressive the Quest is and the visual quality devs have been able to squeeze into certain games on it, Vader Immortal in particular. Can't wait to see what games look like down the road once devs have more time with the hardware.

edit: Looks like someone is already tinkering with infinite hallway type methods of level design. I really want to try one of these out on Quest.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
And the mod tools for custom song installation is out, see ya later boys time to live in VR.

LINK
it says "USB C port on your computer (or a converter) "

will my phones USB to USB-c cord work? came with the pixel 1.
the windows tablet I plan to do stuff with has usb 3.0 or 3.1 on it, can't remember which.
I can't use my desktop because that's 2.0 :P

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
it says "USB C port on your computer (or a converter) "

will my phones USB to USB-c cord work? came with the pixel 1.
the windows tablet I plan to do stuff with has usb 3.0 or 3.1 on it, can't remember which.
I can't use my desktop because that's 2.0 :P

I have used a similar cable that originally came with my Nintendo Switch pro controller to do some side loading and it has been working fine.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I have used a similar cable that originally came with my Nintendo Switch pro controller to do some side loading and it has been working fine.
ah yeah I have one of those from the switch as well :P
good to know. Just wanted to make sure before I bother doing anything.
though I also might just wait a few more days as I imagine people will quickly streamline the process.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well my Quest has officially been shipped back for diagnosis / investigation with its stuck pixel and my replacement will ship out in 8-12 business days. So I am back on a leash :/

Have fun Questing without me for a few weeks I guess. Hopefully I backed up my save data appropriately!

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Tried AVLR tonight, horrible latency. I mean it worked, but it was definitely not 'playable'.

PC is wired via ethernet, WiFi is 5ghz, good signal. Just couldn't get a decent framerate. Horrible amounts of packet loss and everything that goes with a poor connection. Not sure what else to try on that front.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Tried AVLR tonight, horrible latency. I mean it worked, but it was definitely not 'playable'.

PC is wired via ethernet, WiFi is 5ghz, good signal. Just couldn't get a decent framerate. Horrible amounts of packet loss and everything that goes with a poor connection. Not sure what else to try on that front.
Weird, allot of people including myself have gotten great results, smooth frame rate and no artifacting. Controls are responsive for many games, but you aren't going to be very successful at Expert+ on Beat Saber (although regular expert level is still viable) and I am not sure how well tennis games would work. Luckily, eleven table tennis and Racket NX are coming to Quest natively and I own them via crossbuy. For the controls, button mapping still isn't 100% and angle seems a bit off due to thinking it is Vive wands but it has come a long ways.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Well my Quest has officially been shipped back for diagnosis / investigation with its stuck pixel and my replacement will ship out in 8-12 business days. So I am back on a leash :/

Have fun Questing without me for a few weeks I guess. Hopefully I backed up my save data appropriately!

I'm right there with you, as mine ships out tomorrow. :(

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
tight window tonight - does it need charging before set up & play?
mine came at around 50% battery
I plugged it in while I was doing set up and then unplugged it to do the set up that needed it on, and then played for a while until it got down to 20% then plugged it in while doing sit down stuff

it needed like 5 minutes to update the thing though

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody gotten AVLR or VRRidge to work with an AMD card? Pretty sure that is my problem.... sadly not planning on change my videocard for awhile.

Ilikespiders

Mar 19, 2019
I got it to work! With the settings APK from Reddit I was able to pair a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. It works great in virtual desktop except for how the Rift handles the mouse. It "ignores" mouse movement in open windows unless the touch controllers have been inactive for a bit. If they're active they override the mouse controls. Whatever "window" is floating in front of you as an object seems to have full mouse support. The keyboard seems fully supported system wide

Ordering one of these to use my usual fullsize keyboard and mouse from another room in the house with virtual desktop:

aaand now i can't recreate how I got the mouse to override. The buttons work but the touch controllers override all movement.

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So i have the first retail release of the Oculus Rift, with ALVR would i get the same if not better experience with a Quest or would still be best off keeping the Rift?

Am thinking of selling my rift and putting that cash towards a quest

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
If this has the same lenses as the Vive Pro and other high end headsets outside of the 5k and 8k ones then the PSVR has less of a SDE by an large margin, I really have to try to make out the individual pixels on the PSVR and even when I do they seem to blend into each other. Practially invisible on Wipeout VR, On this PSVR has the advantage, its only 1 of 2 besides graphics

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, custom songs on beat saber is nice.
and after your first time set up it's not to bad to get going you just have to download and extract the songs in a folder and then click run :P

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there's a lot worse things in VR than SDE. Including filters that hide SDE. Give me SDE over image smear any day.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Beginning to really hate SUPERHOT VR. One stray bullet or "oh you didn't duck down far enough below the edge of this pool table" and I'm back to the beginning of a four or five-stage section. The forced repetition is easily the most frustrating and annoying part of this game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If this has the same lenses as the Vive Pro and other high end headsets outside of the 5k and 8k ones then the PSVR has less of a SDE by an large margin, I really have to try to make out the individual pixels on the PSVR and even when I do they seem to blend into each other. Practially invisible on Wipeout VR, On this PSVR has the advantage, its only 1 of 2 besides graphics

Not to my eyes it isn't, the optics quality, sde, and general IQ and clarity are quite a bit better on Quest compared to PSVR. Going back to it last night to play Blood & Truth felt like going back a headset gen in terms of overall quality. It's pretty night and day to me but others may not notice the differences as much.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
One of my songs keeps messing up the rest and idk what one it is to do a batch lol
The stupidest song I added was a 21 minute rwby mix lol
everything seems to be working fine on my end though so I am not sure how to help you.
Beginning to really hate SUPERHOT VR. One stray bullet or "oh you didn't duck down far enough below the edge of this pool table" and I'm back to the beginning of a four or five-stage section. The forced repetition is easily the most frustrating and annoying part of this game.
it can be frustrating but you should be getting better at those scenes, and despite how it feels each checkpoint is really only 5-10 minutes away.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
my first time in VR - very cool stuff.

bigscreen is really dope, eventually when my friends all get VR i think i'll really love it.

however, i'm not sure i'll be keeping the Quest very long. it looks and feels great, but i'm not really seeing the software to justify my cost right now. beat saber will be good once you can put actually good music into it, but for now i'm not sure what to play. kind of got caught up in the hype a bit.

i may try vader + lone echo - i like adventure games and vr feels like a good fit for them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
my first time in VR - very cool stuff.

bigscreen is really dope, eventually when my friends all get VR i think i'll really love it.

however, i'm not sure i'll be keeping the Quest very long. it looks and feels great, but i'm not really seeing the software to justify my cost right now. beat saber will be good once you can put actually good music into it, but for now i'm not sure what to play. kind of got caught up in the hype a bit.

i may try vader + lone echo - i like adventure games and vr feels like a good fit for them.
Tools to do custom songs in beat saber came out today, posted a bit earlier in the thread.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It just makes me feel like more and more of a badass as I start rampaging through the early stages by rote.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so nearing the end of day one with the quest my general thoughts.

it doesn't really feel like a big upgrade over PSVR. It's better in some ways such as ease of set up and speed to get into game, but I definitely notice the reduced visuals in beat saber. the PSVR is also easier to fit on your head and trade between people and more comfortable in general.

the lack of cords is nice, and having built in sound is great, and the quality is good to me so booting up beat saber late at night will be much nicer on the quest.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase. I will get some exclusives on the quest, and some roomscale games on the quest compared to the PSVR, but I will likely continue to get most sitting games and games you don't move a lot on the PSVR instead as I imagine they will have much better sales on there.

I do love the fact that I ordered the quest last week banking on there eventually being custom songs and the day I get my quest the custom songs for beat saber come out though.

given I got this thing to play beat saber with a bit more freedom and ease of set up so I remain motivated to exercise I think the purchase will do well for me. I do still have to get streaming up and running and see how well that works. If I get that working than it will be even better for me as my computer can run VR games I just can't hook up a VR headset to it because of my usb 2.0 ports.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
OK i also tried Hard mode on Beat Saber and OK OK i get it now

this game is dope as hell

unfortunately my PSU is busted so i have no PC right now to import songs, only a macbook pro :(
They are releasing a new DLC song pack in two weeks, so you'll have more songs that way at least. People think it might be an Imagine Dragons pack.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They are releasing a new DLC song pack in to weeks, so you'll have more songs that way at least. People think it might be an Imagine Dragons pack.
I would be all over that until I realize thunder would likely be included... and then I would need a way to mod the song out of the game as it's one of the worst songs ever made #_#

I like Imagine Dragons in general... why must their worst song be a popular one... it's just so horrible #_#

edit: looking through the imagine dragons songs in custom they actually don't seem well supported at all, so it could be a nice addition in general.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Welp, just tried custom songs on Beat Saber for the Quest and from Beat Saver, downloaded both Beat It and Believer and they worked incredibly well.

So welp, we now have custom songs on the Quest. I'm inclined now to believe that the Quest is the best platform that Beat Saber is on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, just tried custom songs on Beat Saber for the Quest and from Beat Saver, downloaded both Beat It and Believer and they worked incredibly well.

So welp, we now have custom songs on the Quest. I'm inclined now to believe that the Quest is the best platform that Beat Saber is on.
if you didn't see it was posted that there is a new version of the song injector that allows for 200+ songs instead of 30.

personally I put 19 songs on that I carefully selected based on how doable/fun they looked.

I'm going to wait until I can break custom songs up into seperate folders before I go crazy. Like I will likely do a zelda folder and a linkin park folder and an avacii folder ect.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Not to my eyes it isn't, the optics quality, sde, and general IQ and clarity are quite a bit better on Quest compared to PSVR. Going back to it last night to play Blood & Truth felt like going back a headset gen in terms of overall quality. It's pretty night and day to me but others may not notice the differences as much.
That's because I bet blood and truth is probably 1080p at most on a 1 panel 1080p screen. So you have a lower resolution, games will look blurrier . However the sde is lessened on the psvr and you really can't make individual pixels. Supersampled games like Wipeout really makes it shine. But every quest game looks like it runs native to me so it would look sharper

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As for the CPU/GPU, they are overclocked with passive and active cooling, the OS is optimized specifically for VR gaming, and the power isn't constrained to try and make the battery last all day long, so is much faster than any 835-based cell phone.

I have always wondered how much and if the SOC has been overclocked from the base spec, or whether the active cooling simply allows it to run without throttling.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
edit: Looks like someone is already tinkering with infinite hallway type methods of level design. I really want to try one of these out on Quest.

This sorta thing has been tried and tested plenty with PCVR. If I'm remembering correctly, the issue is that it required a much larger space then the Roomscale VR requirement of 2x1.5m playspace to work in a meaningful way.

E: In the experiences I've tried with an almost exactly 2x1.5m playspace you have to phsyically turn so often that the illusion is completely lost.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can always use moonrider.xyz to get a feel for custom tracks if you don't have a PC you can play them on. They can be hit or miss and I don't know how easy it is to remove ones you don't like? I'm sure that tool will have a gui pretty quickly though which will make it easier

If you're Mac only you could try a windows VM?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda cross posting this from ALVR thread, just tried this very cool demo/proof of concept called Tea For God that lets you explore completely without teleportation by utilizing Vive roomscale setup data. The bigger the space the better the experience, it can feel like a maze at times but I think the potential here is pretty big for getting around locomotion issues, obviously not great for everything but it works well for what this dev is going for. On that note they're also working on getting a version to work on Quest natively so there's something to watch out for.

Anywho, you need ALVR as currently its through Steam or PC Oculus (Rift/Rift S), and you need to setup Vive roomscale (not seated like usual with ALVR), which I was able to do with just the Touch controllers. You will probably want to disable the Oculus guardian as the two clash a bit visually working concurrently. You can do this by going into all settings in the Quest menu, developer>turn off Guardian. Once you've got your roomscale boundary set up through Steam VR just launch the run_steamVR.bat in the Tea for God folder (once extracted of course). I recommend selecting the bigger level option on the main menu but not endless as that crashed (maybe it'll work for you may as well give it a try). Bigger seems to provide more unique areas and more outdoor encounters.

void-room.itch.io

Tea For God by void room

vr roguelite using impossible spaces / euclidean orbifold

Feb 15, 2018
You me and Kaz Frankenstein can form a support group. I'm going to play Blood and Truth to tide me over but I worry that it's just going to annoy me in all the ways PSVR is inferior to the Quest and I won't appreciate all the things that are good about it.

I was thinking of doing the same (although possibly with Everybody's Golf), but i have the same concerns that i wont really appreciate it either, i will just lament the tracking.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of doing the same (although possibly with Everybody's Golf), but i have the same concerns that i wont really appreciate it either, i will just lament the tracking.
I am having fun with Blood and Truth but the tracking can be crap at times and sometimes I switch guns instead of reloading or fire guns when I am trying to reload. The PSVR is definitely going up for sale after I am done with B&T, the only other big exclusive coming down the road is Ironman which I am not really interested in given the horrible Move tracking.

The Quest & future iterations will likely be my only VR devices until the wireless version of PSVR 2 comes out, I can't go back to wires after this! But I have a feeling the regular version of PSVR 2 will be $400 and wireless version $600-700.