• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What issue with charging?
I did notice mine when plugged in would jump back and forth from 80% to 100%.

There is a known issue for some headsets where they will say they are charging, but won't actually charge. The only 100% consistent way for me to charge my headset is through my power bank. If I use the cable and brick (or other cables/bricks of various combinations), then it will claim to be charging, only for me to return an hour and a half later and see that it's at the same percent. Oculus believes it is defective, so wants to send me a new one. What confuses me is that this is a common issue on Reddit, but does that mean there are quite a bit of defective units?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to share my review of Sports Scramble as i'v seen some people ask questions about it. If theres any feedback do let me know or if you have any questions about the game feel free to ask!

If you rather read the review: https://pastebin.com/Un5hJ1xn hope the link is allowed don't want to clutter up the page with a wall of text

Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check out your review!

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There is a known issue for some headsets where they will say they are charging, but won't actually charge. The only 100% consistent way for me to charge my headset is through my power bank. If I use the cable and brick (or other cables/bricks of various combinations), then it will claim to be charging, only for me to return an hour and a half later and see that it's at the same percent. Oculus believes it is defective, so wants to send me a new one. What confuses me is that this is a common issue on Reddit, but does that mean there are quite a bit of defective units?
Ah, okay. I hope it all works out for you.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check out your review!

Thanks for giving it a watch, will be doing shadowpoint next!

Gotta say, I agree.

What's funny is I have a Vive and I think this thing is WAY better for most things. I also have an Index reservation and I'll be keeping my reservation for the HMD only. Because it'll be great for seated (it'll never see roomscale unless a wireless adapter is released). But Quest is quite possibly the coolest device I've ever owned. I always use the "If I could take this back in time, how much would I blow minds" when judging new tech. And this thing would blow more minds than any other device ever made.

Own the psvr, rift, gear vr and now the quest and can safely say that it is by far the best headset I have owned and is going to be the one i go to most by a large margin. Having freedom of movement without something constantly reminding you that your attached to something else has got to be the best thing about it. Im keeping my psvr due to exclusives but im debating keeping the rift if ALVR continues to develop. Im already impressed with what it can do.

Oct 25, 2017
OK, you've all convinced me. I just ordered a 128 GB Quest from Best Buy, set for delivery tomorrow.

I'm a PSVR owner and have thoroughly enjoyed that experience, but haven't played it in so long b/c it was always a little bit of a chore to set up and keep calibrated.

Hoping that the Quest will be as big of a game changer as it's sounding like in that regard. Also have never experienced room-scale VR.

Here's what I've purchased in advance so far:

Virtual Desktop
Wander
Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Beat Saber
Vader Immortal: Episode I
Ocean Rift

What have I missed for the must-haves for launch titles? My wallet can only take so much pain.........

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
PSVR owner here, keeping it for exclusive seated titles. Quest is how I'd rather play everything else. The tracking and controllers are literally 10x better. Best $400 I ever spent.
Exactly! PSVR is here to stay but it works best seated and stationary with a DS4 in hand.

Quest destroys PSVR in room scale games like Superhot and even Beat Saber. Choosing to play those kind of games on PSVR is like riding a bike with a flat tire.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
OK, you've all convinced me. I just ordered a 128 GB Quest from Best Buy, set for delivery tomorrow.

I'm a PSVR owner and have thoroughly enjoyed that experience, but haven't played it in so long b/c it was always a little bit of a chore to set up and keep calibrated.

Hoping that the Quest will be as big of a game changer as it's sounding like in that regard. Also have never experienced room-scale VR.

Here's what I've purchased in advance so far:

Virtual Desktop
Wander
Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Beat Saber
Vader Immortal: Episode I
Ocean Rift

What have I missed for the must-haves for launch titles? My wallet can only take so much pain.........
You should look into super hot and robo recall.

seems super hot was redesigned a bit with the quest in mind giving you more freedom than ever to move around in the stages.
robo recall is considered fun and an oculus exclusive so won't be on psvr.

that being said I know super hot has a demo.

Exactly! PSVR is here to stay but it works best seated and stationary with a DS4 in hand.

Quest destroys PSVR in room scale games like Superhot and even Beat Saber. Choosing to play those kind of games on PSVR is like riding a bike with a flat tire.

beat saber is normally perfectly fine on the PSVR.
though recently I have been having controller issues but for a long time it worked flawlessly on PSVR.

You are missing out on custom songs, but AT THIS TIME you also don't have such things on the quest either unless you are streaming from a VR ready PC.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally it will involve an app you have to sideload that will allow you to add songs to the game.

currently the only way to add custom songs into beat saber on the quest involves replacing the original songs and a ton of programming.

we will know more going forward but the groups working on custom songs on the quest are quite hopeful that it won't be that long before we get them adding instead of replacing songs, and then they can worry about creating the loader.

the beat saber developers have also talked about potentially adding a level editor or a way to transfer songs through the official editor to the quest as well.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty unimpressed by Vader Immortal, at least visually, but I've found Moss and Racket Fury to be delightful so far.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty unimpressed by Vader Immortal, at least visually, but I've found Moss and Racket Fury to be delightful so far.

The story mode was just alright imo, though I'm still game for the other episodes. I've been REALLY enjoying the dojo though. The higher levels make me feel like a friggin Jedi, and get very intense.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
The story mode was just alright imo, though I'm still game for the other episodes. I've been REALLY enjoying the dojo though. The higher levels make me feel like a friggin Jedi, and get very intense.
Yeah, I really didn't expect anything from the dojo mode, since I'm pretty wave-shootered out, but I really enjoy it! The sound design is superb - even without headphones, the spatial attack warning sounds work well to make me feel like a badass, when I spin around and block an incoming attack without thinking about it. I've only done about 2/3rds of the waves though. Looking forward to finishing it.

I hope they expand that mode or add other more gamey modes with future episodes. I'd love a Rebel Assault-eseque stormtrooper shooting gallery mode, etc.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really didn't expect anything from the dojo mode, since I'm pretty wave-shootered out, but I really enjoy it! The sound design is superb - even without headphones, the spatial attack warning sounds work well to make me feel like a badass, when I spin around and block an incoming attack without thinking about it. I've only done about 2/3rds of the waves though. Looking forward to finishing it.

I hope they expand that mode or add other more gamey modes with future episodes. I'd love a Rebel Assault-eseque stormtrooper shooting gallery mode, etc.

Yeah I agree with this. I think the first episode feels like the first piece of a solid star wars game rather than a true standalone thing, the second episode is supposed to focus on force powers, but I really hope they try to marry juggling Force powers, Lightsaber dueling, and blasters. Hopefully if the series does well they'll consider expanding it into a more full experience.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to share my review of Sports Scramble as i'v seen some people ask questions about it. If theres any feedback do let me know or if you have any questions about the game feel free to ask!

If you rather read the review: https://pastebin.com/Un5hJ1xn hope the link is allowed don't want to clutter up the page with a wall of text

Seems like a fair review. I would definitely agree it's for people who can enjoy the journey (or in this case... the actual mechanics of playing the sports).

I haven't tried doing it yet, but I'm almost certain tennis has a pro mode too. In fact, I've seen people mention you can do actual jump serves in pro mode. So I think you missed a setting on that one.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is it intentional that your mic voice doesn't get recorded in videos you record? Or is there a privacy setting I've enabled somewhere that can be turned off?

I took my quest out of developer mode and rebooted. Still didn't fix this. I then went and did a bunch of other stuff and then stopped playing with the quest for a bit. Not sure what happened but I checked again later and suddenly all of my videos were working. I wish I knew what I did to make them work again just in case I run into it again.

Anyway, here's something I slapped together real quick in UE4

wPX2Upj.gif
By any chance did you figure out why videos showed up as 0 minutes? Having this issue now myself.

Edit: lol I found a workaround. Copy the entire VideoShots folder from the Quest to your PC. For some reason when you copy the whole folder, the files inside work properly!

Last edited:

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ALVR works fantastically! I was even able to use Revive through it without issue....ok, that isn't totally true. I was playing Lucky's Tale while standing up and now the room won't stop spinning. Maybe don't play sitdown experiences while standing up. But other than being incredibly dizzy right now, I'm very happy. Now I can play From Other Suns with my friends!

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I own a GearVR and I really like using it but the lack of content is seriously underwhelming. At the moment I mainly use Skybox VR and I think it's amazing. The feedback in this thread is great. What are the chances of a few more AA games coming out for this thing? Will there be any decent racing games or cockpit experiences?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to be a great device, but as a PSVR / Pro owner, I don't see enough reasons to get one at this stage.
I have a PSVR and a Pro and I never had a huge problem setting it up but it definitely stopped me from playing many nights. After playing Superhot, outside of big budget releases and Sony exclusives there is no reason to play my PSVR anymore, setting it up and wires went from a minor nuisance to a huge barrier. The fact that you can put this on and be in a game in less than 3 mins, 5 mins if you have to set up the guardian is a huge game changer.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Pulled myself away from Beat Saber and finally started up Robo Recall for a bit tonight. It holds up pretty well on the Quest, my only complaint would be that it feels very much designed around a standing & teleportation experience which makes sense considering when it came out on the rift but it does make it feel a touch limited on the Quest.

They certainly put some effort into the port though, I know there were worries (including from me) about the lack of footage before release but it was pretty unfounded.

1 week in...still loving the Quest. No doubt some of the initial amazement has worn off but I am still having a ton of fun with it every night, it takes quite a bit of will power to not go crazy on the store buying games but I am trying to savour what I have and save other stuff for the next few weeks.

Did everyone see this?

7-zX_5uW-dt5833dxfkTfaVxW-hdL-kwYZ0dPqImR9k.jpg

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I know people were discussing this yesterday:

If you've enabled developer mode on your Quest, and your Quest isn't showing up on Windows (to load/delete media files), I have the same issue. If you follow step 7 here (manual installation):

After typing that command into powershell, Windows will recognize the Quest and you have access to your files.

There's gotta be a decent file server app for Android, though.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Seems like a fair review. I would definitely agree it's for people who can enjoy the journey (or in this case... the actual mechanics of playing the sports).

I haven't tried doing it yet, but I'm almost certain tennis has a pro mode too. In fact, I've seen people mention you can do actual jump serves in pro mode. So I think you missed a setting on that one.

you are absolutely right just hopped back in and checked for myself, strange that it wasn't discussed in the training mode like the others were though. My bad for that but thanks for pointing it out. Ill be sure to pin a comment correcting that info on the video

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Is it intentional that your mic voice doesn't get recorded in videos you record? Or is there a privacy setting I've enabled somewhere that can be turned off?

By any chance did you figure out why videos showed up as 0 minutes? Having this issue now myself.

Edit: lol I found a workaround. Copy the entire VideoShots folder from the Quest to your PC. For some reason when you copy the whole folder, the files inside work properly!

Thanks! I'll try this next time. The only thing I can think of doing was I took it out of dev mode and maybe ran abd devices on my PC.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Emulator impressions:

Installed three different emulators and played them with a bluetooth paired Xbox One controller:

Dolphin:

I installed the latest nightly build. It would load fine, but upon trying to load a game, even a simple one, it would crash the app back out to Oculus TV.

All emulators were booted as "Unknown Apps" in Oculus TV.

Speaking of Oculus TV, I wish you could do this type of app booting in other programs. Or at least choose your environment. Would prefer not to play in such a hipster and brightly light space.

PPSSPP:

Tried both Wipeout games and they seemed to work great. The default renderer was OpenGL. I switched over to Vulkan, but it seemed like I got better performance with OpenGL.

Retroarch:

Installed a couple of different SNES emulators. BSNES (Performance) mode and SNES2010. Then I loaded up SMW2: Yoshi's Island. BSNES was dropping frames, so I switched to SNES2010. It ran perfectly and was very impressed. Got a 100/100 on the first level and then when I exited out to pick my next level, my XBox One controller got paired to "device 2"? Which meant it no longer worked. I tried turning the controller on/off again, but it wouldn't go back to being the default device. Worse, the Touch controllers only half worked. I could use them to get to the main menu of Retroarch, but I couldn't seem to scroll down. So I couldn't exit properly. Had to do a hard shut down to get out.

A lot of potential here, though. Games looked great. Enough SDE that you didn't need any CRT filters. Just wish you could play in a dark room with Oculus TV.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still fucked up from trying Lucky's Tale while standing. Holy crap. Never had this happen from VR before. Whew.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Did that Beat Saber campaign level earlier were you need to break 800m total hand movement during the track. I did 1294m. Not bad for a hefty 51-year-old. Though it did take me an hour to stop sweating. Lol.

Those VRCover wipeable face guards can't arrive soon enough!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm in the same boat with a dead pixel. Stay strong....
Their support told me they were still working on my case but have high case load etc etc today. So not sure when / if they're going to want me to send the unit in for repair or replacement, but I'm still hoping they'll have a software fix (as it's not unheard of for software solutions fixing stuck pixels by colour cycling for extended time, etc).

Mainly I don't want to be without it for a few weeks.

This thing has become my favorite gaming system, which far goes beyond what I hoped to get from it.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
ALVR works fantastically! I was even able to use Revive through it without issue....ok, that isn't totally true. I was playing Lucky's Tale while standing up and now the room won't stop spinning. Maybe don't play sitdown experiences while standing up. But other than being incredibly dizzy right now, I'm very happy. Now I can play From Other Suns with my friends!
I've been meaning to retest Revive with ALVR since it was so whack with RiftCat. Fingers crossed cause I've still got some games on my account I paid for back when I had a Rift I wouldn't mind regaining access to.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Wound up pulling the trigger on one last week, and I've had a great time with it so far compared to my PSVR setup. Being able to just put it on and go is an absolute game changer, and simply being able to stand still without the subtle but ever-present drift/wobble of the PSVR tracking makes the entire experience significantly more comfortable. The limited horsepower is evident, as many experiences look even more simplistic than the already limited-feeling PSVR games, but the sheer convenience of it is enough to make up for it. I've used it every day since getting it, which is way more often than I ever used my PSVR.

The only thing that I'm a little let down by is the controller tracking. In most situations it's great, infinitely better than the Move tracking, but then I put my hand too far to my side or behind my back and I'm again hit with that old familiar feeling of "oh, right, I can't move quite everywhere." In most games it hasn't been a problem, but in some hectic action games like Superhot and Robo Recall I've had moments where I glance behind myself and try to blind fire over my shoulder and wind up losing tracking for a moment. It's a shame there's no option to sync up a lighthouse or whatever to fill in more tracking space. But still, it's a minor thing, and the overall tracking is a staggering improvement over the PSVR.

Excited to see where things go with this. I'm going to try hooking up ALVR tonight; if that's actually as good as people make it out to be I'm going to be absolutely damn delighted.

Hours-later edit: The only other annoyance I've had with this is lighting. I'm not sure if it's the level of light or the proximity to the light source, but in rooms with completely average amounts of artificial light I'm occasionally getting PSVR-style random hand teleportation even with my controllers clearly in view of the headset. Not sure what's up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The fact that you can put this on and be in a game in less than 3 mins, 5 mins if you have to set up the guardian is a huge game changer.
More like 1 minute and maybe 2 if you have to setup the guardian. If I don't turn the Quest off or quit my last game and just let it sleep, I can be back in that game in 15 seconds.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Managed to find a single unit at my local Walmart thanks to BrickSeek. Apparently it was going to be the display unit but they hadn't opened it to set it up yet. So it wasn't in their system as listed in stock on the official website.

Worth making a few calls if you're having a hard time finding one and there are Walmarts near ya.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so I'm still looking forward to custom songs on the quest... but since I also like official songs to support...

woot the next dlc pack is dated

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any recommended 5ghz routers for PC streaming? I know all routers are not created equal, ever.

Partially related, is there a side loadable speed test app out there?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emulator impressions:

Installed three different emulators and played them with a bluetooth paired Xbox One controller:

Dolphin:

I installed the latest nightly build. It would load fine, but upon trying to load a game, even a simple one, it would crash the app back out to Oculus TV.

All emulators were booted as "Unknown Apps" in Oculus TV.

Speaking of Oculus TV, I wish you could do this type of app booting in other programs. Or at least choose your environment. Would prefer not to play in such a hipster and brightly light space.

PPSSPP:

Tried both Wipeout games and they seemed to work great. The default renderer was OpenGL. I switched over to Vulkan, but it seemed like I got better performance with OpenGL.

Retroarch:

Installed a couple of different SNES emulators. BSNES (Performance) mode and SNES2010. Then I loaded up SMW2: Yoshi's Island. BSNES was dropping frames, so I switched to SNES2010. It ran perfectly and was very impressed. Got a 100/100 on the first level and then when I exited out to pick my next level, my XBox One controller got paired to "device 2"? Which meant it no longer worked. I tried turning the controller on/off again, but it wouldn't go back to being the default device. Worse, the Touch controllers only half worked. I could use them to get to the main menu of Retroarch, but I couldn't seem to scroll down. So I couldn't exit properly. Had to do a hard shut down to get out.

A lot of potential here, though. Games looked great. Enough SDE that you didn't need any CRT filters. Just wish you could play in a dark room with Oculus TV.

Maybe a dumb question, but are these builds specifically for the Quest? Go?

I'm assuming you can't just run "2D" Android apps through some theater wrapper somehow, but boy would I appreciate that.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
More like 1 minute and maybe 2 if you have to setup the guardian. If I don't turn the Quest off or quit my last game and just let it sleep, I can be back in that game in 15 seconds.
Yeah I was really stretching it with 5 mins but I guess I was including going to find it, pulling it out of the box and setting up the guardian. But yeah it takes like 2 mins for the full setup

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Been playing Job Simulator. I know I'm insanely late to the party but this is just an absolute joy. Played through Office worker and I've been having a blast cooking ridiculous food for the robots. My wife had a great time suggesting things to try since I was streaming to the TV.

Ill definitely be using this to demo it to other people and will definitely be picking up Vacation simulator. There's just so many wonderful Easter eggs and interactions here.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Been playing Job Simulator. I know I'm insanely late to the party but this is just an absolute joy. Played through Office worker and I've been having a blast cooking ridiculous food for the robots. My wife had a great time suggesting things to try since I was streaming to the TV.

Ill definitely be using this to demo it to other people and will definitely be picking up Vacation simulator. There's just so many wonderful Easter eggs and interactions here.
I have Job Simulator on PSVR so I'm waiting on Vacation Simulator for the Quest. I also didn't play Job Simulator much but my kids loved it. Does the Quest version add anything
other than more freedom :)
?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who gets motion sickness even from regular 2D gaming I was only able to play Journey of the Gods for about 15-20 minutes the first time before I had to stop. Tonight though I was able to play much longer, I was even moving and shooting at the same time. Maybe I'm getting my VR legs, that would be nice! I had to stop when my battery got low.

I've been meaning to retest Revive with ALVR since it was so whack with RiftCat. Fingers crossed cause I've still got some games on my account I paid for back when I had a Rift I wouldn't mind regaining access to.

I haven't tried ALVR yet but if I can get Medium working with ReVive I might just sell my Rift.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this is off-topic but VR porn is a goddamn revelation on this thing.

That's mostly the reason I want to know how it compares to an S7 Edge Gear VR lol. Giving up the 5K / 6K support isn't exactly optimal, but if the screen is much improved it could be worth it... and now could stream those from a PC I guess.