• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My PC is not on WiFi and I had success. It's on the same network, but hard wired. Which is ideal frankly.

If it works with Windows Firewall disabled, that is where the problem is. There can be no doubt! Almost all recommendations (and common sense) suggest performance will be worsened not using Ethernet for the PC. Every additional device using wifi to communicate with each other will half available bandwidth and double latency, in simple terms.

Tbh there's no big deal having Windows Firewall disabled for a time, unless you are not at home or have unknown / hostile devices inside your own network.

Thanks for the responses, I finally figured out the culprit, for some reason my ethernet connection was set to public, set it to private and now it works flawlessly. That was entirely too much time spent to figure that out xD

But hey it works so I'm happy, and incredibly impressed with how smooth the performance is compared to VRidge. Was thinking my PC was too underpowered to handle it based on my time with the latter, glad that's not the case now. I wonder if anyone has ran Oculus native apps successfully using ALVR? I still need to play Lone Echo and would love to be able to do so with Touch controllers.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Quest arrived today! Just in time for summer, which means dear god everything is sweaty the headset is sweaty I am sweaty ahhhhh. Initial thoughts:
  • I feel like the virtual floor is always perpetually a few inches above where the real floor is, even when I do the reset? Or maybe it's the Guardian setup fooling me.
  • Even after shoving furniture around in my living room, I still don't have the recommended 6' x 6' space. Which I kind of knew already, but man how did I ever manage to play anything in VR in the 1' x 3' area in front of my bedroom desk where my Rift is set up, dang.
  • Beat Saber seems essentially indistinguishable from the PC version in gameplay, except without the risk of smashing my hands into my desk. I'll have to figure out the VRidge/ALVR stuff at some point to see how the version I own fares.
  • Superhot VR is a VR experience I could never have had with the Rift without tearing out my PC and installing it in my living room. Beat Saber is the go-to VR experience in a lot of ways but Superhot feels like the Quest's showpiece specifically.
  • Had a problem early on where the headset kept sinking into my cheeks despite tightening all the straps and making sure the crown brace was low enough to "catch" the back/bottom of my head, not that there's a lot of purchase there unfortunately. I think I got it tight enough the second time I tried the Beat Saber demo, but long term I'm wondering if there's more I should be doing to keep the headset from sinking. I can't say the weight's been a problem, really, but the longest I've worn it for is just over half an hour so hard to judge.
So far, zero regrets. Can't wait to try this in a larger space. The fact that that's even an option is amazing!

I feel kinda bad but I actually could never duck properly in Super Hot till now...it was just a pain on PSVR to the point I gave up on it. Now I'm in love with the game. Also freaking lighting up the saber in Vader's dojo is one of the all time geekiest squeal inducing moments of all time for me. I want an entire wave based game of this with Jedi and severed cauterized limbs like Jedi Knight.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
The pavlov alpha is pretty buggy but really fun. I played in stationary and still had a blast. If only I could run around

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a CV1 Rift and figured instead of dishing the money for a Quest I may as well just buy a TPCast - managed to snag one off of ebay when I find out now about ALVR?

That's insane, maybe I'll end up with one of these after all.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Quest is sold out everywhere. I just got back from vacation and wanted to buy one asap but couldnt. Oh well.. ended up getting blood and truth for the psvr. I will get it next time when it's available.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I saw on github one person with similar issues "fixed" it by disabling their firewall completely, I tested it briefly and sure enough it works but obviously this isn't a solution but at least it tells us it's a firewall permissions issue. I double checked my firewall permissions for ALVR and it's supposed to be good to go but switching firewall back on and it isn't working again. If you happen to find out something on your end please do share :)

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Won't be able to give it a go until tonight but will give messing with the firewall a shot!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a comparison of ALVR vs RiftCat? I already paid the 15 for RiftCat, but wondering how ALVR compares.

NVM, found a vid a few pages back. Kinda wish i'd have known about ALVR before buying RiftCat!

lol the feeling is mutual. Such a world of difference between the two.

Just got done playing Space Pirate Trainer (Steam version) through ALVR, this game is so much more fun being untethered. Gonna test Vivecraft and see how that goes.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Won't be able to give it a go until tonight but will give messing with the firewall a shot!

Not sure if you saw my other post but I got mine fully working by switching my ethernet connection from public to private. It now works just fine with firewall enabled.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Messed around with VR Chat and then Bigscreen. The social stuff clearly has a ridiculous amount of potential, but it was such a bummer trying those two tonight.

VR Chat is a mess. The more populated rooms were way too unstable and just a stuttery mess of audio and clumps of PC avatars that wouldn't load. The UI is a mess and barely functional, and anything with less than 100 users kept loading me into empty rooms with one or two AFK players. The one time I did stumble into a smaller group it was all children drawing dicks and cackling to themselves.

Bigscreen crashed on me twice, and then loaded up a room with a bunch of loud men discussing their pro-life stance, peppered with a stunning amount of racist and homophobic jokes, and then eventually falling into a very uncomfortably stupid argument about religion. I hopped into a 3D movie room after that, which turned out to be the Independence Day reboot and then the app crashed.

It's a huge fucking bummer that the majority of the demographic for this stuff is just alt-right assholes. I'd love to kick back and watch some bad YouTube videos with strangers to try to escape the crushing isolation my life circumstances has thrust me into, but the toxicity of these communities at first glance is horrific.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quest is sold out everywhere. I just got back from vacation and wanted to buy one asap but couldnt. Oh well.. ended up getting blood and truth for the psvr. I will get it next time when it's available.

Great to hear I mean fuck FB and all that but this thing is amazing. Anecdotally two of my friends tried to order it on amazon right after they tried it at my place yesterday and shipping is 1-2 months so it's either selling like hot cakes or FB didn't produce enough to meet demand.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear I mean fuck FB and all that but this thing is amazing. Anecdotally two of my friends tried to order it on amazon right after they tried it at my place yesterday and shipping is 1-2 months so it's either selling like hot cakes or FB didn't produce enough to meet demand.
best buy when I was looking had the 128gb in stock to ship by thursday but the 64gb was in store only.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Vivecraft works well enough with ALVR but motion controls aren't working currently, so m+kb is the way to go. It had a bit more compression noticeable than the native Steam stuff I played but it still ran wonderfully, I was even able to explore a bit using one of the Sonic Ether shaders with not totally terrible performance. I already said as much but this app feels pretty damn solid for an alpha, can't wait to see how much better it can get from here on out.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Vivecraft works well enough with ALVR but motion controls aren't working currently, so m+kb is the way to go. It had a bit more compression noticeable than the native Steam stuff I played but it still ran wonderfully, I was even able to explore a bit using one of the Sonic Ether shaders with not totally terrible performance. I already said as much but this app feels pretty damn solid for an alpha, can't wait to see how much better it can get from here on out.

I prefer Vivecraft's motion controls and interface, but the gear VR version works with realms so you can play multiplayer more easily. Not a fan of smooth locomotion with the xbox controller though

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Beat Saber is now driving me mad. I'm getting misses all over the place, and it's not a tracking issue as you can see the block clearly being sliced. What the hell am I doing wrong? Could someone please look at this and tell me? I'm obviously doing something stupid as no-one else seems to have this issue.

Commit to your swings man, you're barely tapping the blocks so they're likely not registered fully.

You're meant to swing like an accurate madman in this game. Let loose!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Commit to your swings man, you're barely tapping the blocks so they're likely not registered fully.

You're meant to swing like an accurate madman in this game. Let loose!
Yeah, I think that's probably it. It's weird though - having never played it before, the tutorial says nothing about this and everyone else seems to have no issues. Why does everyone other than me naturally start swinging like mad, lol?

Surely the natural inclination would be toward efficiency? :P

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think that's probably it. It's weird though - having never played it before, the tutorial says nothing about this and everyone else seems to have no issues. Why does everyone other than me naturally start swinging like mad, lol?

I can't see on the gif, but the way scoring works in Beat Saber is all about how complete the arc of your swing is through the block - it used to be to a max of 110 points per block. You're not drumming on the blocks, but slicing them like a Jedi Master. I think on the missed note on the block, it's kinda like an incomplete swing, so it counted as a bad cut.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I don't know about in the Quest version, but on the PC version they ask you to swing harder or was it faster if you swing too lightly/slowly in the tutorial.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I would be more understanding if it didn't actually cut the block. It should show the blade glancing off or something. It's just poor UI design, IMO.

Anyway, Imma give it another shot tonight. I really want to like the game and it's a lot of fun - just frustrating to me when it seems to mark misses and gives no feedback as to why.

Plus, my wife really likes it and I promised myself that I wouldn't buy the full game until I complete the demo track without missing a block, so I'd better get practicing!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I officially give up on Beat Saber. I'm never going to Git Gud if the game doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I tried:
Lame ass, slow swing - registers
Super fast, almost throw my shoulder out swing - registers
Barely tap the block, with no wind-up or follow-through - registers
Fast, long swing - registers
Hit block with tip - registers
Hit block so far down the saber, I'm basically punching it - registers

I can find no way of hitting the block that fails consistently. So nothing that would explain the misses.

So, tried repeatedly to get through the track without missing. Long, fast swings, almost all getting 100+ points. Random misses.

I'm done.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
What's getting a lot of miles for everyone? My Quest is an Expert+ Overkill machine. As I finished brushing my teeth I thought about squeezing in one more run, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea right before bed. As soon as I walked out of the bathroom my GF said, "I've got that Overkill song stuck in my head." The rest is history.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the demo is buggy / old build? I've never encountered what deadfolk is describing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
64GB was up on Best Buy this morning, picked one up to come in on Thursday.

I've got 30 day return window from BB this year, so we'll see how I enjoy it & what Quest titles get announced at E3.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm becoming more convinced this is the case. I've found people with similar complaints on Rift/Vive/PSVR. I mean, I'm more than willing to believe I just suck, but the evidence doesn't seem to support that.
I'll download the demo again and try it after work today just to test this theory. Would be a shitty situation giving a false first impression.

Feb 15, 2018
I'm becoming more convinced this is the case. I've found people with similar complaints on Rift/Vive/PSVR. I mean, I'm more than willing to believe I just suck, but the evidence doesn't seem to support that.

I got the FC indicator on the scoreboard on the demo second time playing it on Quest. Had never played Beat Saber before.

Bought the full game and have been playing without any spurious miss readings registering. Maybe take the batteries out of your controllers and repair them? It sounds like either you are doing something wrong, or your hardware is not working properly. There is nothing wrong with the demo in my experience.

Could you have your hands too far underneath your headset? I cant imagine how you could naturally be playing like this, but i saw major tracking issues when playing Creed demo and guarding.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I got the FC indicator on the scoreboard on the demo second time playing it on Quest. Had never played Beat Saber before.

Bought the full game and have been playing without any spurious miss readings registering. Maybe take the batteries out of your controllers and repair them? It sounds like either you are doing something wrong, or your hardware is not working properly. There is nothing wrong with the demo in my experience.

Could you have your hands too far underneath your headset? I cant imagine how you could naturally be playing like this, but i saw major tracking issues when playing Creed demo and guarding.
I don't see how it could be tracking or hardware - the blocks are clearly being cut.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we saying this is less powerful than a PS4 Pro?

This is less powerful than an OG XBone. It's an overclocked Galaxy 7 , a Snapdragon 835 but with a fan.

But that misses the point somewhat. It's "the Switch of VR" on it's own, it has a very high res screen so it really only misses out on shaders / lighting / effects, things can still look decent.

And if you're up for some unsupported hackery and have a gaming PC and an 802.11ac 5GHz Router it's an unsupported absurdly cheap fully wireless PC headset.

I am really in two minds to get one, the lack of stock is giving me FOMO lol. If Amazon UK got another batch of 64GB ones I don't think I could hold off! But realistically I'm not going to use it heavily any time soon, I am absolutely interested in doing some Unreal / Unity VR dev noob experiments though.

Feb 15, 2018
I don't see how it could be tracking or hardware - the blocks are clearly being cut.

Sorry, that detail temporarily escaped me.

I'm not going to start asking all the same questions that have almost certainly already cropped up over the past couple of pages, as i know how frustrating that is, but i can say that the demo seemed free of glitches when i played it (i guess i played it through 4 times, getting full combo on my 2nd attempt), and in several hours of playing (the full game), i have never found myself having to make a conscious effort to slice in a particular fashion etc. Its all been perfectly intuitive.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
When you are playing the baseball game and pitching, does your target move slowly to the right? Either that's intentional or my joystick needs re-calibrating, lol. The only thing that has me questioning it is that I have zero problems in Moss. I would expect issues there too if my controller was messed up.

Haven't really spent much time playing baseball yet. I was getting lit up as a pitcher. Off of memory, nothing was drifting and even when pressing on the joystick, I was putting every pitch right down the middle:(

Maybe you could switch your preferences? Switch from right to lefty (or vice versa) and then just throw with the opposite controller to check if things are any better for you?

Okay, I officially give up on Beat Saber. I'm never going to Git Gud if the game doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I tried:
Lame ass, slow swing - registers
Super fast, almost throw my shoulder out swing - registers
Barely tap the block, with no wind-up or follow-through - registers
Fast, long swing - registers
Hit block with tip - registers
Hit block so far down the saber, I'm basically punching it - registers

I can find no way of hitting the block that fails consistently. So nothing that would explain the misses.

So, tried repeatedly to get through the track without missing. Long, fast swings, almost all getting 100+ points. Random misses.

I'm done.

After I posted my tips for you, I tried more deliberate swings too. If anything, it was worse for me. And like you, I almost always score 100+. It's definitely a big enough problem that I would never buy the full game on Quest. If you buy it and the issues are solved, let me know. Otherwise, I like it enough I'll just pick it up on PC when it goes on sale.

My scoreboard is full of highscores, and only a single FC:( Most of those misses were not my fault either.

EDIT: Maybe you could post that .gif on Reddit or the Steam forums? Or whereever their official support site is. Maybe they have an explanation for what's happening in it.

Last edited:

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
It's just strange that no-one else is seeing it on Quest. I dunno. Maybe it IS me, but I'm not a COMPLETE idiot. Just mostly.

Wonder if the lighting in whatever environment you're playing in is throwing the tracking off in some fashion? For me, Beat Saber is like the easy show people VR pick up and play game because it's so intuitive. The fact that you're struggling with it (and aren't an idiot) suggests a technological issue rather than the game or you being at fault here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
After I posted my tips for you, I tried more deliberate swings too. If anything, it was worse for me. And like you, I almost always score 100+. It's definitely a big enough problem that I would never buy the full game on Quest. If you buy it and the issues are solved, let me know. Otherwise, I like it enough I'll just pick it up on PC when it goes on sale.
Interesting. It's a shame there's no demo on any other platform, otherwise I could confirm 100% if it was me.

Wonder if the lighting in whatever environment you're playing in is throwing the tracking off in some fashion? For me, Beat Saber is like the easy show people VR pick up and play game because it's so intuitive. The fact that you're struggling with it (and aren't an idiot) suggests a technological issue rather than the game or you being at fault here.
Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a tracking issue, as the blocks are clearly being cut. Also, I've tried in two different rooms with very different lighting.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
This is less powerful than an OG XBone. It's an overclocked Galaxy 7 , a Snapdragon 835 but with a fan.

But that misses the point somewhat. It's "the Switch of VR" on it's own, it has a very high res screen so it really only misses out on shaders / lighting / effects, things can still look decent.

And if you're up for some unsupported hackery and have a gaming PC and an 802.11ac 5GHz Router it's an unsupported absurdly cheap fully wireless PC headset.

I am really in two minds to get one, the lack of stock is giving me FOMO lol. If Amazon UK got another batch of 64GB ones I don't think I could hold off! But realistically I'm not going to use it heavily any time soon, I am absolutely interested in doing some Unreal / Unity VR dev noob experiments though.
It seems to be a great device, but as a PSVR / Pro owner, I don't see enough reasons to get one at this stage.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. It's a shame there's no demo on any other platform, otherwise I could confirm 100% if it was me.

Like my edit said, maybe you could find out where they have support. And they could explain your video. Because I'm suffering the same issue and would love to know what could possible explain things like that.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017

Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a tracking issue, as the blocks are clearly being cut. Also, I've tried in two different rooms with very different lighting.

Oculus have a pretty good refund policy (2 hours playtime /14 days) Maybe just buy it and experiment? If still bad, refund it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Just bought beat saber yesterday; this is the first time I've I've played the full game..awesome.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've done a tweet at the Beat Saber account. Let's see if they respond.

Are you using headphones by chance? I almost wonder if there is a weird time delay you're experiencing. I've been able to 100% it without issue, so it sucks that you're having problems. It's really one of the best VR games.

You could buy the full game, see if it happens on there, then refund if it is.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Are you using headphones by chance? I almost wonder if there is a weird time delay you're experiencing. I've been able to 100% it without issue, so it sucks that you're having problems. It's really one of the best VR games.

You could buy the full game, see if it happens on there, then refund if it is.
No headphones.

I'm hesitant to attempt a refund, as I've already requested one for another game and I don't want to abuse it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know I love how VR can make simple stuff more interesting. In OrbusVR It wanted me to make a Health Potion. So I summoned by book that showed what I needed and used room scale to walk around and get the ingredient from the table to put into the cauldron all the while taking glances back at the journal. Just... so cool for something so simple.