• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
PSVR has very low SDE because of how they blur the screen. I much prefer the sharpness of the Quest over the PSVR blur. The Quest SDE is pretty minimal anyways.
I like PSVR a lot visually because of the low SDE, but yeah, I agree. It's low enough on quest that I'll take that hit for the increased resolution and sharpness.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I've noticed the right side can be more blurry than the left especially in 3D video but without an eye test I'd guess my right eye is more strained than the left in general.

How do you get into the green line setting after the initial setup? I haven't been able to find it again.

It's under the tutorial option in your library next to first steps. The icon is a picture of the quest.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
A good list you say? Of the best 10 or so you say?

of those - space pirate and beat saber are no brainers for friend demos, especially VR first timers. Also possibly Vader Immortal but maybe just the dojo part?

Awesome, thanks!
Can't wait for the delivery, really hope I get mine on Thursday.
So as a first time VR buyer (tho I played with the thing since Rift DK1) who wants to also show it off to friends etc. I'm looking at:

Robo Recall
Moss
Vader Immortal
Superhot VR
Beat Saber
Ultrawings
Space Pirate Trainer
Journey of the Gods
Creed
Job Simulator

Those are the kinda the "best" launch games, yes? Am I missing something amazing? Is Rez coming?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, thanks!
So as a first time VR buyer (tho I played with the thing since Rift DK1) who wants to also show it off to friends etc. I'm looking at:

Robo Recall
Moss
Vader Immortal
Superhot VR
Beat Saber
Ultrawings
Space Pirate Trainer
Journey of the Gods
Creed
Job Simulator

Those are the kinda the "best" launch games, yes? Am I missing something amazing? Is Rez coming?

If anyone of them were fans of Wii Sports, definitely let them at least play the Sports Scramble demo (tennis). Aside from being fun, it's also got great IQ (super sharp and clean looking).

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks!

Robo Recall
Moss
Vader Immortal
Superhot VR
Beat Saber
Ultrawings
Space Pirate Trainer
Journey of the Gods
Creed
Job Simulator

I'd probably skip Creed (there's a demo pre-installed though you can check before committing).

Drop Dead is another to look at IMO, fun first person zombie shooter.

I recommend checking out Dead and Buried 2 as well, another first person shooter.

And there's also Thumper of course.

If you have a PC you could stream SteamVR to the Quest, and play Rez Infinite that way. Via unofficial methods mind you, https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...on-oculus-quest-wi-fi-or-usb-streaming.118542

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Got beatsaber this morning wow it's fun. Would be better if I knew any of the songs (only one I know Is the LoL one). Hope they add some old man music, but sure I'm not the demo for this game.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda wish they didn't bring out the rift s and focused more on officially supporting the quest as a hybrid option. We're never going to get official support for it since it'll eat into rift s sales. I can't wait to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish they didn't bring out the rift s and focused more on officially supporting the quest as a hybrid option. We're never going to get official support for it since it'll eat into rift s sales. I can't wait to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

It's a real what if. Current wifi has some real limitations with bandwidth/latency and it would have been spectacular to see just how optimized John Carmack could have made everything had they prioritized this option. This guy is a wizard when it comes to solving and maximizing tech limitations.

At any rate, I've seen enough of the Quest to firmly believe we'll never see another standalone PC headset released from Oculus. And if they prioritize wireless connections on future models, nothing much will be lost with that route.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Damn - wife tried it today and just couldn't get it comfortable and gave up. She likes Beat Saber on the WMR (which I sold) but this was either pressing on her forehead or cheeks too much. If I pulled down on the back to simulate a counterweight she seemed to be more comfortable so I have to explore that

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
I've purchased Vader, Moss, superhot, apex construct, but all I've been playing is beat saber. The portability and ease of use of the quest is really great. I also own the rift and psvr, and this device is just so much more convenient.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Really looking forward to my VR covers turning up. The comfort (or lack of it) is probably my biggest issue a week in...hoping that some better/different padding will help.

Seeing a lot about counterweights at the moment but I don't have much interest in going that route unless the covers prove to be completely ineffective.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to my VR covers turning up. The comfort (or lack of it) is probably my biggest issue a week in...hoping that some better/different padding will help.

Seeing a lot about counterweights at the moment but I don't have much interest in going that route unless the covers prove to be completely ineffective.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Sometimes it doesn't bother me too much, but other times I just can't get it right. Gonna order some VR Covers this week, but they'r not shipping until the end of June now.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if you could reasonably mod the Oculus Rift S Headband onto the Quest, seeing as Oculus sells them standalone for $59. Much prefer the "halo" strap design of that headset.

Kind of like people have already modded the Vive Deluxe Audio strap to the Quest.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Hold off on Beat Saber if you play with friends. I refuse to buy the game again on Quest until they fix the casting issue.
The Quest speakers sound surprisingly good to spectators, so at least you can watch the player in sync with music.

The casting has latency (SECONDS in my limited testing with Chromecast) so if it does come to Beat Saber, I'd advise that the player wear headphones to drown out the echo.

Still, the killer selling point for the Quest version is you can be striking your first note 10-15 seconds after you get the impulse.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious if you could reasonably mod the Oculus Rift S Headband onto the Quest, seeing as Oculus sells them standalone for $59. Much prefer the "halo" strap design of that headset.

Kind of like people have already modded the Vive Deluxe Audio strap to the Quest.
Oh, that be interesting and worthwhile for 59 bucks.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
My only gripe at the moment is my videos don't seem to be recording properly anymore. I can see and view them on the Quest itself, but when I connect to my PC, it shows the time is 00:00:00 and I just can't open them. I can still view the ones I took earlier, but none of my new ones work. Its really odd.

I took my quest out of developer mode and rebooted. Still didn't fix this. I then went and did a bunch of other stuff and then stopped playing with the quest for a bit. Not sure what happened but I checked again later and suddenly all of my videos were working. I wish I knew what I did to make them work again just in case I run into it again.

Anyway, here's something I slapped together real quick in UE4

wPX2Upj.gif

ds8k

Dec 22, 2018
Anyone else getting crackling audio from their right speaker? Happened last night after a longer session with friends. A reset fixed it, but it just happened again after dicking around with ALVR (which works SIGNIFICANTLY better than VRidge) for a little bit.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Anyone else getting crackling audio from their right speaker? Happened last night after a longer session with friends. A reset fixed it, but it just happened again after dicking around with ALVR (which works SIGNIFICANTLY better than VRidge) for a little bit.

It's a known bug that I have seen Oculus Support acknowledge. If it happens the best thing to do is a hardware reboot to clear it up. I have had it happen once.

Feb 15, 2018
Never had this issue but it's a common complaint. Software I believe.
I'm returning mine tomorrow, all I can see is that damn stuck pixel now. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for a replacement.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Yes you can do both with the Quest.
It took a while to set everything up at first, but once the project compiles for the first time subsequent runs are much quicker. As long as the Quest is plugged in via USB and you have it set up correctly, you can just hit run from the editor and it will launch on the device.

Their documentation is kind of crappy. There are mentions of the Go in there and whatnot. I followed the Getting Started part for UE4 and it was fairly straightforward.

Awesome. I appreciate the point in the right direction. Are you able to run in UE's play mode, or do you have to create a new build every time? I'm sure it would be the same for unity.

Another thing that is concerning is that the quest uses USB-C but my insipron 7567 only has 3 USB 3.0 ports. I guess I could try to use a usb-c to usb 3.0 converter, but maybe I just need to upgrade my laptop.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
There are people that have lost a lot of weight via VR. It can be amazing cardio if you're playing the right games, like BoxVR or Beat Saber. You just have to play daily for set amounts of time.

VR Fitness Insider has some good interviews with people that use VR as their main or even entire workout source.

I picked up BoxVR for the Quest and have been playing it for 30 minutes everyday. It's a damn good workout. :)

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any recommendations for cases? I'm flying out to E3 in a couple weeks and the official one is sold out beyond belief :/

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Wireless capabilities aside, what's the difference between the Quest and the Rift S? Really want to buy a VR headset but the new Vive is way too much at $1000.

Thinking of getting either the Quest or the Rift S. I thought the Rift S was a Rift 2 but it looks like it's marketed as more of a 1.5? And the Quest is the newest one but also falling behind on power due to being wireless.

Not sure which one to go with. I don't have much space in my room to really move around so the Quest seemed better but it also is running games with lower graphics.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, Beat Saber is now driving me mad. I'm getting misses all over the place, and it's not a tracking issue as you can see the block clearly being sliced. What the hell am I doing wrong? Could someone please look at this and tell me? I'm obviously doing something stupid as no-one else seems to have this issue.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone in Germany wanting to try the Quest:

Use Grover with the voucher "FREUNDE50"

You rent the device for a month. The usual price is 54,90€/mo if you just take 1 month. The voucher gives 50€ off the order, making it 4,90€ + 4,99€ shipping costs.

So for essentially 10 bucks, you get to try the Quest for a month. Just ship it back after 3 1/2 weeks using the free shipping label from their site. The renting contract ends as soon as the package is being processed by DHL.

I ordered it on I think Saturday and I just got a shipping notification, it's gonna be here tomorrow. With the device being out just a week, these are pretty much guaranteed to be brand-new devices and you will likely be the first to use it :)

I'm really excited actually. I'm using the Vive ever since it came out. Also got PSVR on launch. Still happy with both devices, but I also can't wait to get new headsets. I pre-ordered the Valve Index and will very likely keep it, but I'm really looking forward how much I will like the Quest. I fear I want to buy it immediately after trying xD

So a couple of questions: How many demos / free experiences are there? As I won't get to keep the device, I don't want to make expensive purchases. I might pick up some cross-buy games that I will be able to use with my Vive / Index (through Revive I guess). Also how does the account management work? After my rent time is over, can I safely remove my account and theoretically use this very account on another Quest if I end up buying one later down the line?

Edit: Btw the voucher works with every item on Grover, so you could also get other things (the Rift S for example, it's the same price actually)

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've purchased Vader, Moss, superhot, apex construct, but all I've been playing is beat saber. The portability and ease of use of the quest is really great. I also own the rift and psvr, and this device is just so much more convenient.

It really is and the First Steps tutorial is brilliant...my 6 year old and one of my best friends who is a lapsed gamer picked it up instantly. Live streaming to your phone so you can see what they're doing is an awesome QOL feature.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Wireless capabilities aside, what's the difference between the Quest and the Rift S? Really want to buy a VR headset but the new Vive is way too much at $1000.

Thinking of getting either the Quest or the Rift S. I thought the Rift S was a Rift 2 but it looks like it's marketed as more of a 1.5? And the Quest is the newest one but also falling behind on power due to being wireless.

Not sure which one to go with. I don't have much space in my room to really move around so the Quest seemed better but it also is running games with lower graphics.

Personally, what really swayed me to the Quest was the portability factor (don't have a room big enough?....well play it outside then) and convenience. My office is way too small for VR & for work reasons the PC cannot leave that room, this makes a tethered solution impossible. A big part of the experience for me is also showing VR to other people which I just wouldn't want to do in a tiny room.

The big advantages you are getting with the Rift S are the native PC games (better graphics, higher frame rates along with a more open platform) and better tracking (the S has 5 cameras vs the Quests 4). Comfort is also a factor, from what I have heard the halo design on the new rift is pretty good.

A huge negative for the Rift for myself is that I have a rather narrow IPD (my quests slider is set to pretty much the lowest level). The new rift only uses software IPD adjustment which I have heard mixed results for.

I honestly think both will provide a great experience but it is your own situation and use case that will help with the decision.

So a couple of questions: How many demos / free experiences are there? As I won't get to keep the device, I don't want to make expensive purchases. I might pick up some cross-buy games that I will be able to use with my Vive / Index (through Revive I guess). Also how does the account management work? After my rent time is over, can I safely remove my account and theoretically use this very account on another Quest if I end up buying one later down the line?

There are 5 demo's

Space Pirate Trainer
Sports Scramble
Creed
Beat Saber
Journey of the Gods

There are also a few free games like Rec Room and various free social and media apps. Worst case...the refund policy is generous and lets you play up to 2 hours so you could also try some games that way.

You can reset the device to factory settings once you have finished and in the future reset up the same account on a different headset. Just make sure any games you do but are definitely cross buy...it's a mixed bag if they are or aren't.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

The difference is the Quest is a stand-alone device that only plays games made specifically for the Quest - it's basically a self-contained game console, powered by a mobile chip. The Quest graphics will be somewhat worse than PSVR, but at a higher resolution with better colors. The Rift S is a PC accessory that runs PC games, graphics will be as good as your PC can run. You won't see all Quest games on Rift, and you definitely won't see anywhere near all PC games on Quest.

The Rift S isn't even a Rift 1.5, it's just a different Rift - higher resolution, inside-out tracking so no need for external sensors, but worse screen refresh, worse audio, worse black levels and contrast, better screendoor effect, far worse IPD adjustment.

You *can* technically run PC games on your Quest, through an unofficial app which streams them over wifi, if you don't mind sideloading apps and tweaking things.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, what really swayed me to the Quest was the portability factor (don't have a room big enough?....well play it outside then) and convenience. My office is way too small for VR & for work reasons the PC cannot leave that room, this makes a tethered solution impossible. A big part of the experience for me is also showing VR to other people which I just wouldn't want to do in a tiny room.

The big advantages you are getting with the Rift S are the native PC games (better graphics, higher frame rates along with a more open platform) and better tracking (the S has 5 cameras vs the Quests 4). Comfort is also a factor, from what I have heard the halo design on the new rift is pretty good.

A huge negative for the Rift for myself is that I have a rather narrow IPD (my quests slider is set to pretty much the lowest level). The new rift only uses software IPD adjustment which I have heard mixed results for.

I honestly think both will provide a great experience but it is your own situation and use case that will help with the decision.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah I just saw that the Rift S is at a fixed IPD. The other problem is that I have a powerful PC. It seems like a waste to get a Quest when I have a PC that can utilize a VR headset connected to it. But then on the other hand, my room is very small so I would be playing sitting down or standing up but not being able to move around much.

Not sure which one to go with.

How good are they with returns? Or are there any Rift stations at Best Buy? Would love to try them out before buying one or the other.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, Beat Saber is now driving me mad. I'm getting misses all over the place, and it's not a tracking issue as you can see the block clearly being sliced. What the hell am I doing wrong? Could someone please look at this and tell me? I'm obviously doing something stupid as no-one else seems to have this issue.

I played the demo again last night and had a miss or two that confused me.

Rapidly pausing/playing your video, I think I play the same way.

Here's my untested theory: Your sabers are always pointing fairly forward. If you watch youtube videos, it seems like most people have them pointing down/up. So they're slashing up/down in very deliberate fashions.

On that last block, it's very close (hard to tell) as to whether you hit the collider on the front first (I'm assuming they have colliders on the front), instead of hitting the bottom collider on the block. I've actually wondered if this was my problem. Your video makes me think this is my issue too. I would say that when it's an up/down slice coming, make sure you either point your saber down/up in preparation. I suspect this may solve the issue.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the insight. Yeah I just saw that the Rift S is at a fixed IPD. The other problem is that I have a powerful PC. It seems like a waste to get a Quest when I have a PC that can utilize a VR headset connected to it. But then on the other hand, my room is very small so I would be playing sitting down or standing up but not being able to move around much.

Not sure which one to go with.
Don't forget there are other options. For example the HP Reverb has the highest resolution of all consumer VR headsets, Samsung Odyssey+ has almost no ScreenDoor Effect, Pimax has the largest Field of View by far (but that one is almost $1000 when you take into account buying lighthouses and controllers, and requires more tweaking on a per-game basis).

dodo667418

Oct 28, 2017
There are 5 demo's

Space Pirate Trainer
Sports Scramble
Creed
Beat Saber
Journey of the Gods

There are also a few free games like Rec Room and various free social and media apps. Worst case...the refund policy is generous and lets you play up to 2 hours so you could also try some games that way.

You can reset the device to factory settings once you have finished and in the future reset up the same account on a different headset. Just make sure any games you do but are definitely cross buy...it's a mixed bag if they are or aren't.

Thank you very much, that sounds great! I also want to give the whole streaming SteamVR games thing a try, really curious about the overall experience.

I will probably get Robo Recall as I will surely use it on my PCVR devices as well. Gonna look into the other cross-buy games too.
I just can't justify spending 30 bucks on Beat Saber when I already have it on Steam, when I can't even keep the Quest for now and when there is no way to play custom songs (yet). But as it's probably my favorite VR game, it's amazing news to me that there is a demo available.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget there are other options. For example the HP Reverb has the highest resolution of all consumer VR headsets, Samsung Odyssey+ has almost no ScreenDoor Effect, Pimax has the largest Field of View by far (but that one is almost $1000 when you take into account buying lighthouses and controllers, and requires more tweaking on a per-game basis).
How is the support for games on the Reverb and Odyssey though? Can I freely play Oculus and Vive games on them?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo again last night and had a miss or two that confused me.

Rapidly pausing/playing your video, I think I play the same way.

Here's my untested theory: Your sabers are always pointing fairly forward. If you watch youtube videos, it seems like most people have them pointing down/up. So they're slashing up/down in very deliberate fashions.

On that last block, it's very close (hard to tell) as to whether you hit the collider on the front first (I'm assuming they have colliders on the front), instead of hitting the bottom collider on the block. I've actually wondered if this was my problem. Your video makes me think this is my issue too. I would say that when it's an up/down slice coming, make sure you either point your saber down/up in preparation. I suspect this may solve the issue.
That's an interesting theory. I'll see if that makes any difference. I'll also check out some videos of people playing. Thanks!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Cause I'm obligated to do this, the Samsung O+ is extremely YMMV. It's got a very heavy filter to hide the SDE. I think it blurs things terribly and would recommend any HMD besides that. It's crazy how much better/sharper the Quest is versus the O+ (even though they're ostensibly using the same screens). I also think it's horribly uncomfortable. So definiltey buy that from a place with easy returns.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Thank you very much, that sounds great! I also want to give the whole streaming SteamVR games thing a try, really curious about the overall experience.

I will probably get Robo Recall as I will surely use it on my PCVR devices as well. Gonna look into the other cross-buy games too.
I just can't justify spending 30 bucks on Beat Saber when I already have it on Steam, when I can't even keep the Quest for now and when there is no way to play custom songs (yet). But as it's probably my favorite VR game, it's amazing news to me that there is a demo available.

Worth noting that the Beat Saber demo is just a single song and 1 difficulty...it will give you all you need to know in terms of visuals and how the tracking is though.

dodo667418

Oct 28, 2017
Worth noting that the Beat Saber demo is just a single song and 1 difficulty...it will give you all you need to know in terms of visuals and how the tracking is though.
Yeah that is absolutely fine, will definitely be enough to see how it plays like and also how viable it is to bring the experience to my GFs house haha
Can't wait! And the awesome thing is that I will get to keep it for a month... and then the Valve Index will hopefully be here. Special year, it just feels like 2016 again