• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I want to make sure I understand the limits around capturing Beat Saber footage.

No casting
No broadcasting
No transferring to PC (the files play fine in Quest but appear corrupt on my PC)

But I've seen plenty of videos online, so how are people doing it? Am I just having bad luck with the videos appearing to be corrupt?

Brought the Quest over to a friends house that was having a BBQ. It was the perfect day for it as it was overcast, but I setup it up in a shady corner just in case. Everyone that played it was pretty impressed. Didn't get to try it myself outside as I was more focused on having others play.
Nice. Can confirm shaded areas, even on a sunny day, tracking is totally fine.

I demoed to some 8th graders the other day- I was surprised at how a few of them were actually really informed about the content already. One kid asked if I had Pavlov--- I don't know if he knew about the alpha or if he was just taking a shot in the dark, but coincidentally I had just sideloaded it the day before. That's his twin playing Beat Saber in the foreground, and the girl's playing Bogo. I was amused how she just jogs across the classroom and leaps up- most people you have to coax to even turn around.

I had to disable developer mode for it to show anything in windows.
It's funny, I had to enable developer mode to see anything in Windows.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I bought and tried bridge and I can't get it to work with rick and morty or job simulator. The buttons don't seem to map properly and the heigh scale won't adjust unless I squat and recenter

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I swung by walmart earlier and saw one sitting there. Grabbed it asap. Glad I did, I'm having fun with it! I've already got a UE4 project running on the thing.

My only gripe at the moment is my videos don't seem to be recording properly anymore. I can see and view them on the Quest itself, but when I connect to my PC, it shows the time is 00:00:00 and I just can't open them. I can still view the ones I took earlier, but none of my new ones work. Its really odd.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I swung by walmart earlier and saw one sitting there. Grabbed it asap. Glad I did, I'm having fun with it! I've already got a UE4 project running on the thing.

My only gripe at the moment is my videos don't seem to be recording properly anymore. I can see and view them on the Quest itself, but when I connect to my PC, it shows the time is 00:00:00 and I just can't open them. I can still view the ones I took earlier, but none of my new ones work. Its really odd.

Hold up... can I develop on the quest with unity and unreal? I don't need to get a Rift S to do so?

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Hold up... can I develop on the quest with unity and unreal? I don't need to get a Rift S to do so?
Yes you can do both with the Quest.
It took a while to set everything up at first, but once the project compiles for the first time subsequent runs are much quicker. As long as the Quest is plugged in via USB and you have it set up correctly, you can just hit run from the editor and it will launch on the device.

Their documentation is kind of crappy. There are mentions of the Go in there and whatnot. I followed the Getting Started part for UE4 and it was fairly straightforward.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Any idea when we can expect the new rift controller support in SteamVR? I really wanna play Skyrim but the button mapping is my only issue after getting Riftcat configured all properly. Rez Infinite works great at least.

I'm also curious if I could get VRChat working on PC to the Quest but i'm gonna guess there would be issues with the mic feeding back into the game.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Beat saber, creed, robo recall, or moss?

Beat Saber is kind of the VR staple at the moment. If you've not played it, then you're in for a treat. It's DDR with your arms plus lightsabers. So I guess I'd you don't have rhythm it may not be great, but it's what I've played the most in all I'd the VR formats I own.

Creed I've heard mixed things about. I've not v played myself.

Robo Recall is pretty great. It's also very violent. Against robots.

Moss is a very endearing puzzle/platformer that does some cool stuff that utilizes the VR format.

So, I guess the answer is more about what you're feeling like.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Brought over the Quest to my fiancé's family's place and Creed and Vader Immortal were the stand out winners.

Casting Creed surprised me as it sort of became a party game with us cheering whoever was in the headset. I casted to my iPhone XS and it worked wonderfully. People loved Creed a ton. I think it's a good intro game too as you mainly face forward but can move forwards and backwards against the opponent. Tracking is spot on as well. All of us screamed whenever a knockout happened lol

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not aware of any cloud saves for the quest, but purchases should be easily restored by signing back in. I just sent a photo of my stuck pixel off to oculus. It was a real pain getting a photo of it! I had to turn off the grid, turn off power saving, and hold my phone *just so* to get a shot of it against a black portion of the screen. Not sure if its of any use to anyone (because it is admittedly hard to see) but here's the photo of it.

Pic is certainly useful to me, it's the first time I've seen one showing the screen door effect of this screen. Sadly seems pretty bad? Kinda hard to tell, not sure how large an area of the view this is. But there's a clear pentile layout there :(

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's because I've played plenty of wave shooters and such in VR already, but Robo Recall didn't feel that special to me. It felt polished, but the novelty of ripping them apart wore off pretty quick.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm picking up mine tomorrow

Next weekend I'm spending 4 days with family, old and young

What stand-out titles should I pick up to show it off?

(I already got SUPERHOT because I was a kickstarter backer)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What's the best way to test VR? I'm unsure if it will even work for me due to my eyesight. I had variable experiences with 3ds, but I'm also concerned about motion sickness. I'd hate to drop hundreds for something that doesn't work for me.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to test VR? I'm unsure if it will even work for me due to my eyesight. I had variable experiences with 3ds, but I'm also concerned about motion sickness. I'd hate to drop hundreds for something that doesn't work for me.
search to see if they are doing any demos somewhere, I think there is a website for such a thing somewhere.
see if any friends have VR
see if you have any VR places near you. I know my friends went to a VR experience in georgia. It's where they first played beat saber.

that all being said VR in general works way better than the 3ds, and while games with character movement might destroy you if you are motion sick, I haven't come across many people who get sick from beat saber or super hot or games you just sit there because any movement you are doing, well you are doing.

I will also note that if you can find a quest a lot of places have a return window for such things, and they are going much more than the base cost on places like ebay right now... so you could buy one, try it, and either return it or sell it (at the price you paid it should move easily) to get your money back if it doesn't agree with you?

small sample of completed listings for 64gb
v4S33mgl.png

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

I thoroughly recommend First Steps (which comes with the quest) to start off with for anyone at all jumping in.

After that Beat Saber is super intuitive to new comers. Superhot is great, especially as you already have it & I think it probably appeals especially to people more familiar with video games. Something like Vader Immortal really shows what the quest is capable of visually, especially so if you have any Star Wars fans.

You could see if any stores near you have a demo set up?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question to everyone: I'm a crazy person who owns a Rift, Vive, and PSVR with an Index on the way. I found a Quest in store. Would I be stupid to grab it? Do I embrace my truth and just get it lol
I have a Vive and PSVR and can't see myself using either of them much more for anything other than exclusives. Quest is amazing.
Does anybody know how to make the Quest remember permissions for USB transfer/sideloading stuff in perpetuity? Kinda annoying having to go in-headset each day to approve it. And yes I do check the box each time in hopes it'll actually remember.

On a similar note has anyone been able to get their Quest to consistently remember having a gamepad paired with it? I'm using an Xbox One controller and seems I have to re-pair it with the Oculus app each time it comes back from sleep, didn't have this issue with the Go or Gear. On second thought I used a Moga Power Pro controller for Gear but it was definitely Xbox One on Go.
What have you been using the gamepad for? There are things that support it?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play Vader Immortal, or Journey to the Gods outside, that will be the ultimate adventure game.
I don't think Vader Immortal would be a good outdoor game, because most of the game doesn't support you physically walking more than a step in any direction. Doing so fades the screen out and tells you to get back in the center.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Three must haves IMO:
Beat Saber - simple to understand and pick up. But no casting (yet) so not great for a group of people to watch
Super hot you already have but putting here for anyone else
Space pirate trainer - space invaders so easy to grasp for non-gamers. Also easy to play but great fun

Free stuff:
Bogo - cute free pet thing
Oculus first contact - 80s style 'play with toys' thing - free from oculus
Demo of creed included
Demo of sports scramble included

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish Oculus First Contact still had the controller tutorial, it's such a better VR first time demo than the new Quest one, but needs the tutorial. I mean, the dancing robot bit is cool to show off what is different about Quest, but it's not for everyone.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I thoroughly recommend First Steps (which comes with the quest) to start off with for anyone at all jumping in.

After that Beat Saber is super intuitive to new comers. Superhot is great, especially as you already have it & I think it probably appeals especially to people more familiar with video games. Something like Vader Immortal really shows what the quest is capable of visually, especially so if you have any Star Wars fans.
Three must haves IMO:
Beat Saber - simple to understand and pick up. But no casting (yet) so not great for a group of people to watch
Super hot you already have but putting here for anyone else
Space pirate trainer - space invaders so easy to grasp for non-gamers. Also easy to play but great fun

Free stuff:
Bogo - cute free pet thing
Oculus first contact - 80s style 'play with toys' thing - free from oculus
Demo of creed included
Demo of sports scramble included
thanks for the recommendations, I only have a few days to mess around with it myself so this is really helpful

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Oculus Quest may be great (accessibility and convenience) but it is still lacking some games, at least for now. If anything, owning a Quest just pushed me towards getting a Rift S for a larger variety of VR games.

At this point, is owning a Vive still good? My colleague still boasts his Vive is miles better than Oculus does.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oculus Quest may be great (accessibility and convenience) but it is still lacking some games, at least for now. If anything, owning a Quest just pushed me towards getting a Rift S for a larger variety of VR games.

At this point, is owning a Vive still good? My colleague still boasts his Vive is miles better than Oculus does.
I'd hold off for a bit to see how the VR tethering and wirelesss streaming work out. ALVR and Ridge to a lesser extent have people really excited, two days in and we're already with serious promise. Streaming titles from PC to the quest.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
I'd hold off for a bit to see how the VR tethering and wirelesss streaming work out. ALVR and Ridge to a lesser extent have people really excited, two days in and we're already with serious promise. Streaming titles from PC to the quest.
It seems like we are already at a very good level when it comes to streaming. I've been playing skyrim with pretty much 1 to 1 fidelity and great iq.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
You all should try out the boxing mode of moonrider.xyz. I might like it more than Beat Saber.

I also have a dumb question about physical activity: I don't use the Quest with the goal to be physical active. But on Reddit I read often impressions that Quest is good for working out and I wonder. I don't think the Quest can be used effectively as a working out device, or am I wrong? I mean, it is better then doing nothing at all and yeah it can become exhausting. But it can't be compared with other sports activities in effectiveness, right? Or is it already sufficient for the body?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You all should try out the boxing mode of moonrider.xyz. I might like it more than Beat Saber.

I also have a dumb question about physical activity: I don't use the Quest with the goal to be physical active. But on Reddit I read often impressions that Quest is good for working out and I wonder. I don't think the Quest can be used effectively as a working out device, or am I wrong? I mean, it is better then doing nothing at all and yeah it can become exhausting. But it can't be compared with other sports activities in effectiveness, right? Or is it already sufficient for the body?

There are people that have lost a lot of weight via VR. It can be amazing cardio if you're playing the right games, like BoxVR or Beat Saber. You just have to play daily for set amounts of time.

VR Fitness Insider has some good interviews with people that use VR as their main or even entire workout source.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno, but I definitely plan on checking out BoxVR for this purpose. Apparently it's designed by fitness instructors, and this it its aim rather than being a game.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
There are people that have lost a lot of weight via VR. It can be amazing cardio if you're playing the right games, like BoxVR or Beat Saber. You just have to play daily for set amounts of time.

VR Fitness Insider has some good interviews with people that use VR as their main or even entire workout source.

Nice, very interesting. Thank you :). Hope there will come more physical heavy & fast games (as I like them very much).

Another question: I have the feeling that the quality of the graphics varies sometimes and some games are more pixelated then before. I probably just imagine that or I don't put on the headset properly. I just wonder if others also have this feeling.

Ilikespiders

Mar 19, 2019
Another question: I have the feeling that the quality of the graphics varies sometimes and some games are more pixelated then before. I probably just imagine that or I don't put on the headset properly. I just wonder if others also have this feeling.

You can always access that menu for the green horizontal and vertical lines if you're not sure the headset is on properly. Sadly the type of lens they chose for this headset is very sensitive to positional changes relative to your eye. A tiny bit makes a lot of difference in quality.

CriticalHit

Dec 20, 2018
Nice, very interesting. Thank you :). Hope there will come more physical heavy & fast games (as I like them very much).

That's normal. Some games will render at higher resolutions than others.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

If you're into first person shooting / horde modes, I'd put in a mention for Drop Dead. I've found it really enjoyable to play both single and in co-op. Can't really speak of the general online population in it but I've had a few games with randoms.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Can anyone who has used multiple devices speak to the screen door effect please? Is it really as bad as it appears in plagiarize picture here?

I've used a PSVR which I guess is much better? and a Samsung S7 GearVR which I think is about the same / a little worse?
It's a small area blown up quiet large so you can see the stuck pixel. Quest is one of the higher resolution sets so the pixels are very small. SDE is very minimal (the gaps between pixels) but the sub pixel structure is still noticeable. Less so than on PSVR and gear VR on an S8.

With the headset on I can see the whole Netflix choose profile screen surrounded by a large Grey background that isn't even visible in this picture.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I've legit wondered if the IQ of Sports Scramble has degraded the longer I played, but it's probably because I'm constantly experimenting with fittings to try and get the perfect fit (and some experiments are worse than others). Could just be I've noticed this during periods of ill fitting headstraps and the HMD has shifted positions slightly on me.

Feb 15, 2018
It is a very small sweet spot. I find that the image through my right eye tends to blur over time due to the head set migrating on my head. Psvr does exactly the same. I'm starting to think I might have eyes like Sloth....

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Beat saber by far, creed is awful just play the demo, wondering if the other boxing game is any better...
Hold off on Beat Saber if you play with friends. I refuse to buy the game again on Quest until they fix the casting issue.

Moonrider xyz is actually decent enough and will hold me over if I get the itch until Beat Saber works the way it should.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
It is a very small sweet spot. I find that the image through my right eye tends to blur over time due to the head set migrating on my head. Psvr does exactly the same. I'm starting to think I might have eyes like Sloth....
I've noticed the right side can be more blurry than the left especially in 3D video but without an eye test I'd guess my right eye is more strained than the left in general.
You can always access that menu for the green horizontal and vertical lines if you're not sure the headset is on properly. Sadly the type of lens they chose for this headset is very sensitive to positional changes relative to your eye. A tiny bit makes a lot of difference in quality.
How do you get into the green line setting after the initial setup? I haven't been able to find it again.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

Vive and the old Oculus Rift are basically the same in terms of display, games, and tracking (assuming a 3 sensor Rift setup). Rift Touch controller is better for most games than Vive wands, more comfortable and more like virtual hands. Rift S is much higher resolution of course, and cheaper, so I wouldn't say a Vive is a good purchase right now.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone who has used multiple devices speak to the screen door effect please? Is it really as bad as it appears in plagiarize picture here?

I've used a PSVR which I guess is much better? and a Samsung S7 GearVR which I think is about the same / a little worse?
I've used Vive, PSVR and S7 Edge GearVR.

Quest SDE is much better than Vive, but worse than PSVR (which is almost non-existent). Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was like on GearVR because I didn't bother with that for more than a few minutes.

It really didn't bother me on Quest.

Edit: It's also nowhere near as bad as it looks in that picture. Are you familiar with the Netlix profile selection screen? You're looking at a small part of that blown up. And bear in mind that the Netflix screen itself is displayed as a virtual screen within a whole home-cinema scene, so even that's not the whole screen. Basically, yeah - that shot is looking at it though a microscope, intended to show off a flaw in a single pixel.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've used Vive, PSVR and S7 Edge GearVR.

Quest SDE is much better than Vive, but worse than PSVR (which is almost non-existent). Unfortunately, I don't remember what it was like on GearVR because I didn't bother with that for more than a few minutes.

It really didn't bother me on Quest.
PSVR has very low SDE because of how they blur the screen. I much prefer the sharpness of the Quest over the PSVR blur. The Quest SDE is pretty minimal anyways.