• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2018
Hmmm, now my stuck pixel is starting to annoy me, I have been able to spot it on a few games where there are a lot of black areas (the SPT being one of them). Have contacted the company I bought it from to try and arrange an exchange.

So question - will I lose any save data? When I factory reset it before returning it? I'm guessing there is no cloud save system?
Also, i assume restoring my purchases to the new device will be as easy as pairing with my same username and then redownloading?
Thanks!
I

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Playing outside looks rad as fuck

giphy.gif

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So question - will I lose any save data? When I factory reset it before returning it? I'm guessing there is no cloud save system?
Also, i assume restoring my purchases to the new device will be as easy as pairing with my same username and then redownloading?
Thanks!
I

A factory reset makes you lose all saved data. And I'm fairly confident I can answer your second question with yes.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hmmm, now my stuck pixel is starting to annoy me, I have been able to spot it on a few games where there are a lot of black areas (the SPT being one of them). Have contacted the company I bought it from to try and arrange an exchange.

Thanks!
I
Yeah, I'm not aware of any cloud saves for the quest, but purchases should be easily restored by signing back in. I just sent a photo of my stuck pixel off to oculus. It was a real pain getting a photo of it! I had to turn off the grid, turn off power saving, and hold my phone *just so* to get a shot of it against a black portion of the screen. Not sure if its of any use to anyone (because it is admittedly hard to see) but here's the photo of it.

Enordash

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Quick question to everyone: I'm a crazy person who owns a Rift, Vive, and PSVR with an Index on the way. I found a Quest in store. Would I be stupid to grab it? Do I embrace my truth and just get it lol

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Curious how you VR folks feel. I just watched TESTED's top 10 things to get with the Oculus Quest as well as Giant Bomb's VRodeo quick look at the hardware and a bunch of launch games. Both of these are highly respected sites that offer considerable visibility to pretty much EVERYTHING they choose to spotlight.

Neither of these extended looks showcased MOSS.

Why is this game overlooked? When people often talk about VR, Moss - when it's mentioned - is quickly referred to PSVR's Astro Bot. While I'm sure that Astro Bot is amazing, Moss really deserves its own conversation.

The main reason that I'm concerned, however, is because people might be developing a very narrow-minded view of what VR should look like. Everything needn't be first-person to be affecting. Moss might be one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, and I've been playing video games for 30+ years.

So does Moss deserve more love? Should these larger sites mention it more? Does Moss benefit from being VR?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Saved data is accessible and backup-able via USB though, right?
Oh, good to know. Sounds like I might need that soon enough.

So does Moss deserve more love? Should these larger sites mention it more? Does Moss benefit from being VR?

Yes and yes. I mentioned this before, but my favorite moment so far in the quest was high fiving Quill after we solved an involved puzzle together. Such a great moment.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
Do you have time always be connected to the internet to use the Quest? I want to bring it to my Dad's and show him. He's not connected.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question to everyone: I'm a crazy person who owns a Rift, Vive, and PSVR with an Index on the way. I found a Quest in store. Would I be stupid to grab it? Do I embrace my truth and just get it lol

Crazy? Yes. Good kind of crazy? Only you can know.

I personally own PSVR (christmas present) and Rift (bought myself), but considering either a VIVE or Index for better compability with SteamVR and not needing to use Oculus Client (it's actually a good client, but I'd prefer not to use it when using SteamVR).

Only problem is that the Valve Index says "not available in my country", so Im gonna wait until the end of the year to see what to do if Valve starts shipping to my country. If not, Im going for the VIVE.

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah, I'm not aware of any cloud saves for the quest, but purchases should be easily restored by signing back in. I just sent a photo of my stuck pixel off to oculus. It was a real pain getting a photo of it! I had to turn off the grid, turn off power saving, and hold my phone *just so* to get a shot of it against a black portion of the screen. Not sure if its of any use to anyone (because it is admittedly hard to see) but here's the photo of it.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Will be interesting to see how the supplier I purchased from deals with it.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Curious how you VR folks feel. I just watched TESTED's top 10 things to get with the Oculus Quest as well as Giant Bomb's VRodeo quick look at the hardware and a bunch of launch games. Both of these are highly respected sites that offer considerable visibility to pretty much EVERYTHING they choose to spotlight.

Why is this game overlooked? When people often talk about VR, Moss - when it's mentioned - is quickly referred to PSVR's Astro Bot. While I'm sure that Astro Bot is amazing, Moss really deserves its own conversation.

The main reason that I'm concerned, however, is because people might be developing a very narrow-minded view of what VR should look like. Everything needn't be first-person to be affecting. Moss might be one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, and I've been playing video games for 30+ years.

It's just because it's been available on a bunch of platforms and frankly it's not really a master class like Superhot VR or Beat Saber. Likewise, Robo Recall and Apex Construct aren't exactly getting huge media attention, and that's fine. Just not really much of a story here. Moss is on Quest, check. New content on all platforms, check. Both of these things were covered well. Journalists have plenty of more exciting content to cover than a solid port of a game they may have already played on a machine with five newly launched exclusives on it.

You seem really passionate about it though, and that's rad! Maybe make a YouTube video about it?

On the topic of narrowmindedness, I don't think it's an issue at all. One look at the reception to Moss or Astro Bot shows that people are receptive to third person content. It just kind of has to be good to command the conversation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried to play outside (My house sits far back from the road and has a big secluded yard) and my tacking just did not work. No idea why.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Plot twist: you're not actually crazy. Lack of tether is so liberating it's likely to become your favorite HMD of the bunch.

I think it's excusable because of the audiences they cover. If this were a non-hardcore audience, it should be on the list. But with both of those sites, their viewers are likely to already own an existing HMD. And honestly, it'll look significantly better on any of those other platforms. And since it's a seated game, much of Quest's benefits don't really tip the scale. It's not like something like Space Pirate Trainer. That game may have received a major graphical downgrade, but even if you own other HMDs, the Quest version still becomes the best way to play now. I think that's how they're viewing things. Even if you're an existing owner, what ports are still better experienced on Quest.

EDIT: And I don't even think that's their M.O. It's more about what's exciting them. It's an excitement list. And if you've already played Moss (which they have), the Quest version just isn't going to make an impression and have your excited when making a top 10 Quest list.

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Plot twist: you're not actually crazy. Lack of tether is so liberating it's likely to become your favorite HMD of the bunch.

I think it's excusable because of the audiences they cover. If this were a non-hardcore audience, it should be on the list. But with both of those sites, their viewers are likely to already own an existing HMD. And honestly, it'll look significantly better on any of those other platforms. And since it's a seated game, much of Quest's benefits don't really tip the scale. It's not like something like Space Pirate Trainer. That game may have received a major graphical downgrade, but even if you own other HMDs, the Quest version still becomes the best way to play now. I think that's how they're viewing things. Even if you're an existing owner, what ports are still better experienced on Quest.

It looks better on Quest than PSVR, but I agree otherwise.

It's an old game in multiple platforms, no need to cover it.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

EDIT: And I don't even think that's their M.O. It's more about what's exciting them. It's an excitement list. And if you've already played Moss (which they have), the Quest version just isn't going to make an impression and have your excited when making a top 10 Quest list.
Counterpoint. The new content is currently only on Quest and I've seen no one really talking about it.

Oct 27, 2017
So, I got SuperHot, beat Saber, Vader & Robo Recall at launch. Payday just hit so I can bag a couple more games. What should I get out of the below:-

• Moss
  • Creed (Played the demo, seems fun. I like the health/workout benefits of VR as well)
  • Shadow Point (I hear mixed things and the puzzles aren't great. Patric Stewart tho...)
  • Journey of the gods (need to try the demo of this, but VR Zelda sounds preeeeety coooool)
  • Apex Construct (I like bows I guess)
  • I expect you to die (Puzzles and atmosphere seem cool)
  • Sports Scramble (seems and underestimated game due to its sports tilt that is actually really good)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint. The new content is currently only on Quest and I've seen no one really talking about it.

Which gets us back to the disappointing fact that places aren't highlighting/reviewing individual games.

I've seen Norm (Tested) go out of his way at least twice to talk about how much he likes the racket games (Racket Fury & Sports Scramble) and how he consistently goes back to play them. He gushes about both. I think if it were soley his top ten list, he'd have included it.

If sites were featuring spotlights on everything, a lot more stuff would get its moment to shine.

This thing does seem like it might possibly be going viral, so maybe if it's the hottest gift this holidays, coverage will stop sucking so much.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with that. Moss has better effects, shadows, etc. on PSVR. On Quest all it gets is higher resolution.

True, but I think the resolution bump can't be overstated. I actually just played through about half of Moss on PSVR, and ended up taking a break from it because of the resolution and tracking issues. Playing it again with the bump in IQ has been a treat.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a 10000 mAH powerbank weighing ~200g really helps balance the headset weight if placed in back via velcro/zipties/something and should double or triple the play time. However, be careful on which one you order, I think it needs to do USB-C 5v 2.5A to actually charge while playing and allot of powerbanks are only 2A output. Also, I wouldn't get anything too heavy, most 20000 mAH are like 300+g and would probably result in a stiff neck. Anker Powercore PD 10000 will do 3A output, there is also an Amazon coupon for $14 off, I think it is ANKERPD35.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a 10000 mAH powerbank weighing ~200g really helps balance the headset weight if placed in back via velcro/zipties/something and should double or triple the play time. However, be careful on which one you order, I think it needs to do USB-C 5v 2.4A to actually charge while playing and allot of powerbanks are only 2A output. Also, I wouldn't get anything too heavy, most 20000 mAH are like 300+g and would probably result in a stiff neck. Anker Powercore PD 10000 will do 3A output, there is also an Amazon coupon for $14 off, I think it is ANKERPD35.
I would never put an active power bank behind my head 🤔

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I would never put an active power bank behind my head 🤔
Instead of power, some people are using ankle weights or something similar around 200-220g or 0.4-0.5 pds just to give a better weight balance to make it more comfortable. I am going to try the powerbank but I think I might make some holder for it so it wont be right up against my head. I know there are some 3d printable ones but I don't have a 3d printer.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Returned my Quest today. Amazing device which I wouldn't discourage anyone else from getting, but man no matter what I've tried it really made me nauseous. Even stationary movie watching made me feel iffy. Unfortunately I don't think VR is for me as I seem to be overly sensitive to motion sickness.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Gave RiftCat another go and despite numerous issues (think I can solve the chaperone issue with Advanced SteamVR), I'm floored by how good it is. I cranked everything up that I could. IQ seems wonderful. Gave Rez a go and it looked significantly better than my Vive thanks to the screen.

If they can sort out the major controller issues, it's a certain buy for me. As I said, IQ is fantastic and that's using an Xfinity router that's located in the kitchen corner and is a good 20 feet from any real usable space. I've been considering getting another router so I can install piehole on it (Xfinity doesn't let you alter DNS settings) and if I put this next to my Vive's computer, I things would be even more rock stable.

I wonder if this thing likes a lot of CPU cores? I've been known to run a lot of applications with my Vive, and it's a major reason I went with the 8c/16t Ryzen 2700 when I upgraded my 3570k. Things tend to get messy when a bunch of programs all want cores from the CPU. And I know the official wireless solution for Vive likes CPU cores. I wonder if this accounts for the wide spread in people's opinions. Maybe all this stuff just needs X number of cores to really shine.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Ultrawings is good! I think that it is inherently a bit repetitive as there are only so many types of task to do however they are different enough from each other to not be too bad. There is a fair bit of content in terms of unlocking islands & planes and getting better medals in the various missions.

My favourite so far is where you have to fly and shoot balloons with a pistol at the same time, it really challenges your coordination and aiming. For the low price it is totally worth it.

My small issue funnily enough is that I have a terrible time turning on the fuel supply in the plane before take off. I have no idea what motion I should be doing to turn the switch, I am assuming it has not been mapped particularly well to the quests controls or something as I feel I have tried everything.
Thanks for the review! I've been going back and forth all day about pulling the trigger on this game. Really, it's the gun stuff that bugs me. Racing other pilots in obstacle trials or even cool varied courses would've been great. But pulling out a gun and shooting balloons seems so goofy!

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like we should have a list of multiplayer games and how active the player base is. I'll start with 2 that I own.

Dead and Buried 2: Good amount of player base running around the hub at peak hours. Never had a game without any real players. They also have bots.

RUSH: even though this game is listed on the oculus store as one of the active games, I don't see anyone playing online. I ran into someone once but they just left. I've tried looking for people about a dozen different times throughout the week.

Anyone else have other multiplayer games?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using RiftCat/VRidge with a Rift plugged into their computer? I can't get past the Preparing the Stream part. It starts SteamVR but then that opens up my Oculus app and it's looking for my Rift. The FAQ isn't very helpful but from what I gather it should be opening Vridge instead of Oculus? The only other thing the FAQ says is to uninstall similar drivers, which is super vague.

Enk

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone using RiftCat/VRidge with a Rift plugged into their computer? I can't get past the Preparing the Stream part. It starts SteamVR but then that opens up my Oculus app and it's looking for my Rift. The FAQ isn't very helpful but from what I gather it should be opening Vridge instead of Oculus? The only other thing the FAQ says is to uninstall similar drivers, which is super vague.

When I had this issue I just unplugged the Rift's hdmi cable from my pc, closed the Oculus app and it started working.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if I purchase the DLC songs for beat saber from the oculus rift store if they can be transferred to play in my oculus quest version of beat saber? I know the base games are not cross buy, however the developer has said that dlc going forward will be cross buy but I'm not sure if that applies for the current dlc available.

I actually saw this in a dev response last night on a review on the Oculus store. Supposedly DLC carries over between the Rift and Quest versions. :)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Rec Room seems quite fun and I want to spend more time there but the somewhat un-optimized performance gives me subtle headaches. Not nausea but a slight headache. Will re-visit over the coming months to see if this changes with updates.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Any reason the oculus folder would stop showing up on PC? I sideloaded a movie the other night and went to go put another, plugged Oculus in and i see it connected, it shows Oculus but when i click it i don't see any folders.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason the oculus folder would stop showing up on PC? I sideloaded a movie the other night and went to go put another, plugged Oculus in and i see it connected, it shows Oculus but when i click it i don't see any folders.

I had to disable developer mode for it to show anything in windows.

Only way I could get it to work was unplugging the Rift.

Oct 25, 2017
Brought the Quest over to a friends house that was having a BBQ. It was the perfect day for it as it was overcast, but I setup it up in a shady corner just in case. Everyone that played it was pretty impressed. Didn't get to try it myself outside as I was more focused on having others play.

Last edited:

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
So I got one 2 days ago, I only have superhot and vader immortal. Superhot looks sharper but worse on the Quest than PSVR but the lack of wires are very freeing and the tracking is way better. I want to play Vader Immortal, or Journey to the Gods outside, that will be the ultimate adventure game. Also to my surprise it remembered my livingroom so I did not have to redo my guardian. Outside of minor things this is amazing and shocking how they made this 400

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

My launch-games wrap-up at Ars Technica includes Moss in our "try" section. Cheggit: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...y-games-that-prove-its-wireless-vr-potential/

Unfortunately, if you have any other VR headset options, from PlayStation VR to anything more powerful, I urge you to consider playing the game on those, instead. Moss's gorgeous art design has been hobbled to run at a decent clip on Oculus Quest's hardware, and the results look smeary and flat. Quill has thankfully been rendered with great polygonal care and still animates beautifully (especially when you lean in to examine her up-close details), but other characters and creatures have been downgraded, while environs suffer from a serious reduction in shadows, reflections, particle effects, and other artful touches. That said, the game still benefits from clever art direction, and it's a trip to lean into a scene full of tiny characters and appreciate their finely detailed designs, so if Quest is your only option, don't shy away.

More at the above link.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know how to make the Quest remember permissions for USB transfer/sideloading stuff in perpetuity? Kinda annoying having to go in-headset each day to approve it. And yes I do check the box each time in hopes it'll actually remember.

On a similar note has anyone been able to get their Quest to consistently remember having a gamepad paired with it? I'm using an Xbox One controller and seems I have to re-pair it with the Oculus app each time it comes back from sleep, didn't have this issue with the Go or Gear. On second thought I used a Moga Power Pro controller for Gear but it was definitely Xbox One on Go.