• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Does someone have experiences with Dance Central? I love dancing and therefore interested in that.
Is it fun and has it a lot of replayability? And does it track your moves good enough and give you high score points correctly?
It's basically what the experience was on Kinect, except more involving -- there are so many characters to interact with, and they text you throughout the game and all have connections to the other characters.

The tracking with the head and hands is obviously perfect. The tracking with the legs, not so much -- but that's to be expected. I still do the leg and feet stuff regardless, because it's fun to nail a dance move right.

I really, really like it.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
3rd day into the release and we are already seeing sideloading and SteamVR support. Definitely getting one soon. Even as a big fan of VR I'm getting tired of setting up my Vive then configuring my PC, or setting up my PSVR and adjusting the camera. With those barriers gone I may never take it off lol.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Anyone else already have a bunch of scratches on their lens?
They aren't noticeable in VR really, but it just sucks on a 2 day old product.

I've only been using clean, dry microfiber to wipe lens grease...

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else already have a bunch of scratches on their lens?
They aren't noticeable in VR really, but it just sucks on a 2 day old product.

I've only been using clean, dry microfiber to wipe lens grease...
I haven't even checked yet, I'm too scared. I wear glasses with the glasses expander thingy, so I have a feeling mine are still fine.

I did order those prescription lenses that cover the actual lenses, so I hope that will further lessen any damage (I don't give a shit if the prescription lenses get scratched).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking Dance Central, it's much better in VR with the dancer right in front of you; no leg tracking of course but it's fun for what they can do. But I think they went way too far into the club atmosphere. The music sounds like background music, not like something you are dancing to. You can turn down the volume on the club sounds and stuff so all you hear is the music, but that's not really the problem, the game is just really quiet compared to the music in Beat Saber. Club sounds should be much louder.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking Dance Central, it's much better in VR with the dancer right in front of you; no leg tracking of course but it's fun for what they can do. But I think they went way too far into the club atmosphere. The music sounds like background music, not like something you are dancing to. You can turn down the volume on the club sounds and stuff so all you hear is the music, but that's not really the problem, the game is just really quiet compared to the music in Beat Saber. Club sounds should be much louder.
I agree with the quiet music. It does get better with headphones/earbuds, as the Quest's speakers kinda blow too.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Are there no tutorials for Dead and Buried 2? I find a lot of people in the game asking about how to reload. I don't remember seeing a tutorial, practice shooting range, or explanation of modes at all. I was pretty confused when I couldn't move in the Shootout mode.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois

Welp, guess I'm buying Dance Central too then. I've gotten all the "active" VR experiences like Beat Saber and Creed and Space Pirate Trainer.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
OK I was only really following this thread to read the nice stories of people having their first "omg VR is amazing" moments, but this possibility of turning it in to a hybrid PC headset (wireless even!) now has my serious attention...

I am still wondering wtf if there is no brightness control however, I run my GearVR and PSVR both way down from default brightness.

I found this video that demonstrates it and looks incredible, but also a few issues with controls - and some quite heavy stutters towards the end too:

This is the coolest thing. I'm so dang glad I bought a Quest. My PC is really high powered (RTX 2080, i7 8700k, 32GB RAM) but I wanted the wireless more than a wired headset. Can't wait to get this working, I was gonna last night but got sucked into beat saber.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with a Oculus Go can compare how the speakers are VS the Quest? I had the Go and it was pretty decent to me.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Need to do more testing but switching it to 60 did seem to help. Even in the home screen everything feels more stable.

The lights in my place are Hue lights, those are LED right? Maybe that's the issue?

I also have Hue lights and it's been fairly stable for me, but I am very curious if forcing 60hz would make it even better. LMK if changing it to either improves anything.

Anyone with a Oculus Go can compare how the speakers are VS the Quest? I had the Go and it was pretty decent to me.

They are good, but headphones will be better. It is impressive how loud they are for your own ears but quiet for others.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
When using a USB C connection, yes. Compression was still very evident. I haven't tried upping the resolution. I should also mention I was using the cable that came with the Quest connected to the USB C port on my graphics card. I figured that'd have the most bandwidth on the PC end.

I guess try upping the resolution and see if it looks better.

Is it an unsolvable problem in 2019 to gpu-encode, transmit, and gpu-decode 4.5k megapixels in less than 13 milliseconds (for 72fps) without artifacts 99.999% of the time, while staying within, 20 - 30 MB/s bitrate in wifi mode, or 100 MB/s in wired usb-c mode?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the quiet music. It does get better with headphones/earbuds, as the Quest's speakers kinda blow too.
I'm waiting to see if oculus offers a deluxe audio strap equivalent that HTC made for the vive. That headstrap audio on quest and rift s is so disappointing vs what oculus had for the rift. Everything else sounds cool except the audio solution. I'm enjoying reading all these impressions, device sounds amazing if oculus can offer an audio solution that clips onto the headset .

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, I keep seeing random collections of white pixels (like 5-10 of them all separated, not bunched) scattered in the center of the screen for a split second every now and then - seems to primarily be when I'm looking around quickly to a new area.

Yep, that's it. I'm wondering if the people who aren't reporting it simply don't have it, or they're just not seeing it, since it is pretty subtle.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I guess try upping the resolution and see if it looks better.

Is it an unsolvable problem in 2019 to gpu-encode, transmit, and gpu-decode 4.5k megapixels in less than 13 milliseconds (for 72fps) without artifacts 99.999% of the time, while staying within, 20 - 30 MB/s bitrate in wifi mode, or 100 MB/s in wired usb-c mode?
Certainly, USB-C can handle such things. There's a reason it was chosen for the VR headset connection going forwards.

But that doesn't mean the connection in the headset itself is up to the task.

Wirelessly? It's one hell of a problem. Even on Vive's wireless solution (which involves dedicated hardware on the PC end and the headset end) compression was still very evident to me when I tried it out.

Nowhere near as bad as what I saw last night, but still noticeably compressed.

Obviously people are going to have different feelings about how much the compression effects the experience. I plan messing around with it more, and I expect there'll be some noticeable improvements going forwards (since the software isn't even officially released yet). There will be some games where what we have is fine (though inferior) and others where it's just not practical.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Loving the Quest but a little worried that there haven't been many outlets reviewing the software. Everybody had something to say about the hardware, but unless it's Vader Immortal or Beat Saber, all is quiet about the software offerings. I've been looking for solid reviews for Journey of the Gods, Virtual Virtual Reality, and Shadow (what's its name).

Nothing from the big outlets at all. Or even the YouTubbers. If it wasn't for UploadVR's week of streaming damn near everything, the software would mostly feel like a mystery. I don't even see much on the Oculus VR Reddit other than unending praise for the hardware...

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, I keep seeing random collections of white pixels (like 5-10 of them all separated, not bunched) scattered in the center of the screen for a split second every now and then - seems to primarily be when I'm looking around quickly to a new area.

This might be related? Someone posted about screen issues on Reddit and Oculus Support replied they are working on a fix. I'm not sure if it includes this white pixel glitch.

Oculus Support: Hello there, we are aware of an issue that may cause visual issues within the Quest headset in certain apps. We are actively working on a fix to address this. We currently don't have an ETA for this fix, yet. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/brha5q/jitter_in_headset/

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's it. I'm wondering if the people who aren't reporting it simply don't have it, or they're just not seeing it, since it is pretty subtle.

I don't recall ever seeing white flashes, but I have on a couple occassions noticed there was some kind of quick glitch. I've never been able to focus on it long enough to really tell what it was. From the above post, it does sound like it's a known issue and some people might just be better at noticing it.

Certainly, USB-C can handle such things. There's a reason it was chosen for the VR headset connection going forwards.

But that doesn't mean the connection in the headset itself is up to the task.

Wirelessly? It's one hell of a problem. Even on Vive's wireless solution (which involves dedicated hardware on the PC end and the headset end) compression was still very evident to me when I tried it out.

Nowhere near as bad as what I saw last night, but still noticeably compressed.

Obviously people are going to have different feelings about how much the compression effects the experience. I plan messing around with it more, and I expect there'll be some noticeable improvements going forwards (since the software isn't even officially released yet). There will be some games where what we have is fine (though inferior) and others where it's just not practical.

The Skyrim Reddit thread makes it seem like settings play a role. Did you have the bandwidth and resolution settings to the max? And enable the Nvidia hardware streaming option?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Picked up a Quest yesterday after seeing all of the positive feedback. I already had a Vive and am super impressed by VRidge's early version for Quest. Easy purchase for $15 to be able to play my existing Steam VR games fully wirelessly. Absolutely loving having no wires to deal with!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, not all the games work yet due to the way it sees the controllers as Vive wands. Like I had to use a regular joypad to select things in Rise of the Tomb Raider because I couldn't do whatever motion the game wanted me to make.

Definitely test the software out before paying to unlock unlimited sessions to get a realistic idea of where things are now. I wouldn't buy a Quest presuming it'll work great as a PCVR headset sight unseen, for sure.

There's Rise of the Tomb Raider VR? :O

I really haven't been paying much attention to Steam VR the last few months.

Gotta get the streaming stuff working tonight!

diddykong13

Oct 29, 2017
This is an example of what I'm seeing (I just photoshopped it on an image), these tiny white pixel scatterings showing up for a split second:
KVDyf8E.png

Is it similar for others?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This is an example of what I'm seeing (I just photoshopped it on an image), these tiny white pixel scatterings showing up for a split second:
KVDyf8E.png

Is it similar for others?

Hmm, actually I don't think that's what the rest of us are seeing, assuming it looks the same in motion. What I'm seeing is a weird graphical glitch for only a few frames, almost like a screen-tearing type thing

diddykong13

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, actually I don't think that's what the rest of us are seeing, assuming it looks the same in motion. What I'm seeing is a weird graphical glitch for only a few frames, almost like a screen-tearing type thing
Interesting, yeah that's why I wanted to make a visual example. So I get the same graphical "tear" glitch for a couple of frames, but at the same time I get what's in the image for about 1 frame, it's very hard to notice but it's enough to distract me and make me think about it.

Lets hope the fix they are working on for the tearing clears this up too as they seem to occur at the same time for me!

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Interesting, yeah that's why I wanted to make a visual example. So I get the same graphical "tear" glitch for a couple of frames, but at the same time I get what's in the image for about 1 frame, it's very hard to notice but it's enough to distract me and make me think about it.

Lets hope the fix they are working on for the tearing clears this up too as they seem to occur at the same time for me!

If it's in conjunction with the screen tearing, that might indeed be it then! It's so quick it's hard to tell exactly what's going on, but it's annoying all the same. Hopefully it is the same issue then so it gets addressed for ya!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't recall ever seeing white flashes, but I have on a couple occassions noticed there was some kind of quick glitch. I've never been able to focus on it long enough to really tell what it was. From the above post, it does sound like it's a known issue and some people might just be better at noticing it.

The Skyrim Reddit thread makes it seem like settings play a role. Did you have the bandwidth and resolution settings to the max? And enable the Nvidia hardware streaming option?
Using USB-C I set the 'quality' setting to max. Didn't do anything else. Certainly didn't spot an Nvidia hardware streaming option. I'll dive into that.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to jump into Bigscreen again to give it one more shot and while I was watching Ghostbusters II in a room, some dude sat next to me and started drawing penis art. Ugh. What's wrong with people? Anyway, I just left that place and I don't think I'll be going back unless they have some big movie they're showing or something.

Not sure how I feel about watching movies like this, but I told myself I'd at least be open to the idea of trying it.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Latency is impressively low. They (rightly) seem to have prioritized that over image quality.
Yup, super impressed with the latency, still need to try it from USB-C to C but even over wi-fi I keep going "Damn, this is impressive!"

On the plus side I can always upgrade my router as well if I really need to or want that visual boost, but I am fine where it is at now.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I decided to jump into Bigscreen again to give it one more shot and while I was watching Ghostbusters II in a room, some dude sat next to me and started drawing penis art. Ugh. What's wrong with people? Anyway, I just left that place and I don't think I'll be going back unless they have some big movie they're showing or something.

Not sure how I feel about watching movies like this, but I told myself I'd at least be open to the idea of trying it.

I would love to use it to watch stuff with people I know, but the video quality is really poor. I don't think I'm willing to sacrifice that much of the experience.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to use it to watch stuff with people I know, but the video quality is really poor. I don't think I'm willing to sacrifice that much of the experience.

Is it bad? I thought the Ghostbusters room I was in was pretty good. I was in a an Attack on Titan room where the quality was terrible. Maybe it has something to do with who's streaming and what they're streaming?

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Do you people think that once cloud-stream gaming (Google Stadia) is well developed, that it will be possible to stream high quality VR Games/Apps to the Quest with close to zero latency, or is such thing Impossible? (assumed you have fast Internet connection)

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Me and my friends bypass that by using pluto. It's free and the quality of the tv shows/films are amazing. We also just sideload films from netflix/amazon. I know it's not the same as big screen video but the quality of that is bad.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friends bypass that by using pluto. It's free and the quality of the tv shows/films are amazing. We also just sideload films from netflix/amazon. I know it's not the same as big screen video but the quality of that is bad.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to something like that for the Quest. Right now the pickings are slim - the mediocre built-in Gallery app + Skybox are the only video players available.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The headset is killing my forehead and my cheeks! Why is this so uncomfortable to wear?

Any suggestions how to make it more comfortable?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Do you people think that once cloud-stream gaming (Google Stadia) is well developed, that it will be possible to stream high quality VR Games/Apps to the Quest with close to zero latency, or is such thing Impossible? (assumed you have fast Internet connection)
Right now the best Google Stadia has claimed is 120ms latency. It's been measured by Digital Foundry at 166ms. That would be utter horrid in VR.