• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, managed to play for about 30-40 minutes out of the box before I had to start charging the headset.

First impressions, this the real deal! I have the Rift so I was a little worried about the graphics downgrade but presence trumps graphics by a large margin. Even in the tutorial when I grabbed the robots hands and started dancing with it the sense of presence was unreal.

I also had a chance to try the demo of Journey of the Gods from what little I played I was super impressed, definitely going to purchase it. This may sound silly but I do get motion sickness even from regular FPS games but found it helped if I walked in place while using the smooth motion. It tricked my brain into thinking I was actually walking.

Next I purchased Vader Immortal and managed to play for a bit but just walking around the ship and picking things up to look at them was amazing when you could literally walk around or crouch. No wires is really a game changer. The graphics were actually pretty impressive in that part, even though I know I'm only in the intro.

One thing that struck me, I REALLY REALLY hope that some dev can figure out how to do voice interaction. Even if you had a Siri/Cortana/Alexa quality interaction ability it would drive immersion to an even higher level. I found myself talking to my robot like a little kid playing make believe, if only she could answer back.

Other thoughts, the spatial audio is actually pretty impressive, if a little lacking in bass. The guardian system is a bit aggressive, the space i was playing in is about 8x10 and I could trigger both sides of the guardian by extending my arms.

IronStarX

Banned
Jul 4, 2018
So I enjoyed the PC parts of the Oculus Rift. Being able to connect it to my PC, seeing my desktop, even messing around with PC games that were 'made' for VR was still really cool.

Is the Oculus Quest still for me? or is the Rift S a better option as an upgrade from the Rift?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that struck me, I REALLY REALLY hope that some dev can figure out how to do voice interaction. Even if you had a Siri/Cortana/Alexa quality interaction ability it would drive immersion to an even higher level. I found myself talking to my robot like a little kid playing make believe, if only she could answer back.
Star Trek Bridge Commander has this on PC/PSVR. You can give voice commands to the crew.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Got it set up but can't get it comforable. Even loosening the top strap and pulling the back down low, it's not taking any weight on the back or top of my head - maybe I don't have enough of a bump at the vacknto hook onto? So it's squashing my cheeks and pulling my eyes open. I also get a pain in my forehead just right if centre after about 30 mins -also on psvr so maybe I have a bumpy head and it's pushing on one spot?

From the games I think I'll hold off on boxVR for now

Out of Shadow Point, I expect you to die, and the bow and arrow one I forgot the name of - which would you pick first?

Journey to the Gods for sure out of those. It's a great Zelda style adventure game with some depth and length.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So I enjoyed the PC parts of the Oculus Rift. Being able to connect it to my PC, seeing my desktop, even messing around with PC games that were 'made' for VR was still really cool.

Is the Oculus Quest still for me? or is the Rift S a better option as an upgrade from the Rift?
Virtual Desktop for Oculus Quest can stream your PC desktop to the Quest, allowing you to watch videos, play "2D" games, do your taxes in a virtual room in VR. But if you want to run actual VR PC games, you'll probably be happier with the Rift S or another headset. For me, I have both - I had a VR headset already for PC, and I still use it for serious games that can take full advantage of my PC power, but I got a Quest for when I want to just pick it up and play without any hassle.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Got it set up but can't get it comforable. Even loosening the top strap and pulling the back down low, it's not taking any weight on the back or top of my head - maybe I don't have enough of a bump at the vacknto hook onto? So it's squashing my cheeks and pulling my eyes open. I also get a pain in my forehead just right if centre after about 30 mins -also on psvr so maybe I have a bumpy head and it's pushing on one spot?

From the games I think I'll hold off on boxVR for now

Out of Shadow Point, I expect you to die, and the bow and arrow one I forgot the name of - which would you pick first?
It took me a lot of adjusting but I got there in the end. You want the bottom strap at the back really low. Don't forget that you can pivot the strap and the headset too. Good luck!

Anyways time to try out VRidge. I am super sensitive to image lag so this probably won't be for me. I'll take compression all day if there's no lag...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Great to hear VRidge is working on Quest. The path to Quest and PCVR on its way. Latency is the only issue.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try the full version of Sports Scramble? I liked the demo. Wondering how bowling is.

Curious too. I also find the demo fun.

The little device that could.

The closest approximation we have at the moment is Dead and Buried 2 which feels fantastic on the Quest and looks great to boot.

I never see anyone recommending this. So you like it? Is the online any good? Relatively lag free?

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh, snap. You can connect VRidge using USB-C. Although they've yet to answer whether there's any compression/latency gain from going this route.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/brsiwu/vridge_on_oculus_quest_beta_is_available/
So, I just tried this out, and I think I get less compression issues using USB-C but the compression is still very obvious. Latency is *very* low I'm pleased to report. Seeing if I can get REVive working next cause I still have Oculus titles on my account.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just tried this out, and I think I get less compression issues using USB-C but the compression is still very obvious. Latency is *very* low I'm pleased to report. Seeing if I can get REVive working next cause I still have Oculus titles on my account.

When trying to use powershell I'm getting the error: 1PASH9AZL49151 unauthorized...

Any idea why?

My headset is plugged in.

Edit: I got it. You need to put the headset on while connected to be able to authorize the computer.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
RiftCat to VRidge to SteamVR to Revive is a TAD too far. Tracking is super wobbly playing a Rift game in ways it wasn't in native Steam VR apps. Latency was still low though (tested with Pinball FX VR which would make lag very obvious), but the wobbling was sitting too far away from the playstation camera when using PSVR levels.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
RiftCat is legit impressive, mostly artifacts rather than latency. I was playing upstairs far as hell away from my PC and the experince in Pavlov was perfectly fine. This might be the best $400 I've spent!

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know this is a bit 'THE CAKE IS A LIE' because everyone and their grandma already knew before me, but good lord Beat Saber is one hell of a fun time.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how long it takes to charge? I know, google, but just curious. wanna jump into it again.

I really, really love this system. I can't wait for more incredible games to come out.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So what's the difference between Riftcat // VRidge? I haven't had a chance to setup either yet; still not home.
VRidge is the part you install on the headset, basically. Riftcat you install on your PC. You can test streaming for five minutes for free, ten if you make an account. It's $15 to unlock the software if you don't want any time limits. I was happy to drop the money after testing it, but definitely test first.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Wow, Pavlov coming to Quest is pretty huge, dudes. Main question I have (and its a big one) is how it is going to be "the Counterstrike of VR" without Steam workshop. There are only a few maps made by the dev. himself. Still really cool.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
VR Chat is kind of a let down on Quest. There's so many avatars the Quest can't show that tons of lobbies are just the default PC model. Not to mention a lot of rooms run really poorly. :(

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Wow, Pavlov coming to Quest is pretty huge, dudes. Main question I have (and its a big one) is how it is going to be "the Counterstrike of VR" without Steam workshop. There are only a few maps made by the dev. himself. Still really cool.
We haven't seen any mods yet, but I assume it should be possible via side loading.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shame that REvive doesn't work great with RiftCat. I'd love to play From Other Suns and eventually Stormlands.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am floored with how impressive Wi-Fi streaming is with riftcat right now tbh. This is fantastic.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
There's still hella compression. But latency is completely tolerable for me. Although, as I mentioned, ReVive was so wobbly Rift stuff was unplayable.
Luckily many of my Oculus purchases were cross-buy with Quest but I guess that means I wont be buying Stormland or Lone Echo 2 since I sold my Rift. I did purchase a number of titles on SteamVR, too, is the compression allot more noticeable on graphic intense games? I have Beat Saber on SteamVR to try and I am no where near Expert+ level of play, more like hard so latency shouldn't be an issue there. I never did get around to playing SkyrimVR before I sold my Rift so that would be interesting to try too but I suspect that title will be especially compressed. I still haven't bought the Quest but with low latency PC play I am much more tempted by it - I had a problem with PCVR, I kept buying games but never playing them because it was a pain to use, unlike the Quest.

9point81

Feb 28, 2019
Pavlov dev said no mod support but he will pick from the current list of top mods, polish them and use them to expand the list of maps.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Bestbuy next town over had one 64 GB model so I picked it up. Going to wait until the long weekend to boot it up. I was a PSVR day 1 user and reading the impressions of the touch controllers and insight tracking sold me on the Quest. Really looking forward to Tilt Brush if anyone has any impressions I would like to know.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
My Rift S finally showed up today finally and it is certainty a step up from my Lenovo Explorer.
Comparing both the Quest and the Rift I certainly think the rift is more comfortable but the round circles around the lenses (I can't recall what they are called) are more prominent on the Rift.
I can't compare the graphics between the two, everything looks better with particle effects and shadows. Racket NX is the next game I'll double dip on as it's the one thing I play that want to see without wires.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never used VRidge/RiftCat until now...works a lot better than I expected. That was an easy purchase.

Loaded up some Steam Workshop photogrammetry maps, lawdy the presence feels so nice with a wireless headset in these kind of high fidelity environments. Also tried a bit of Blade & Sorcery and that worked well enough too.

I tried Google Earth VR and then quickly discovered that Touch controls don't work for things like zooming in. Is there a workaround for this aside from using a gamepad? I saw something about Fake Vive off Google but assumed that'd interfere with how RiftCat operates.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Is anyone else's screen exhibiting some odd horizontal artifacting, especially during quick movements? I've noticed it in a few games now and I'm wondering if it's a problem with my headset

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
OK I was only really following this thread to read the nice stories of people having their first "omg VR is amazing" moments, but this possibility of turning it in to a hybrid PC headset (wireless even!) now has my serious attention...

I am still wondering wtf if there is no brightness control however, I run my GearVR and PSVR both way down from default brightness.

I found this video that demonstrates it and looks incredible, but also a few issues with controls - and some quite heavy stutters towards the end too:

Last edited:

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I bought it and it's pretty fucking great.

First time trying VR and all I did for 2+ hours is fuck with the toys and mini games when you first start it up.

My dad was floored by it. He LOVED dancing with the robot lol