• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it isn't too bad. I just wanted to make sure it's not a display defect and Netflix app is just doing a good job of showing it or something. As for the app itself, I wasn't sold on the idea of just watching Netflix in what looks like a random cabin with a big but not theater sized screen, but it's actually quite nice. I think I'll be using it quite often.

I didn't realize this at first, but you can select the 'void cinema' option in the upper left corner to watch in an empty space instead.

Feb 15, 2018
Another terrible night of PSVR move tracking has me seriously purchasing one of these again for any games requiring in game hands.
Does the Quest do away with the "world wobble" that is faintly present on so many PSVR games that use 6 dof? Because I'm losing my patience with that as well. More games should be set on a boat to justify it.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
There's a menu option to mirror what is being seen to the Oculus mobile app or to Chromecast. Another option is to hook the Quest to your PC and run an open-source app "SCNCPY", which mirrors any Android device screen to your computer, and then record that.
Thanks! I was under the impression that it could at least take screenshots from the device itself (and possibly video like how the switch and PS4 share buttons work)

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Vader Immortal is really amazing the first time through it you're willing to interact with it the way it wants you to. Which, again, as an obsessive Star Wars stan, I mostly was, and it was a really moving experience.

On second playthrough though, it becomes really apparent how much they really drop the ball with any kind of emergent VR interactions that the best games in the medium offer.

As Jeff Gerstmann was tweeting about, don't give me a lightsaber and put Vader in front of me if you're not going to let me do anything with that. Even if it results in a fail state, there should be an option.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Having problems with Bigscreen, often getting kicked to main Oculus menu between joining rooms etc.

I know it's a beta so not a big deal but anyone else?

I tried Bigscreen, but it's buggy as hell. I was able to sit in a room for a few minutes before it crashed and I had to restart my whole Quest. It definitely has a long way to go to get it cleaned up. It does look nice, though.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Another terrible night of PSVR move tracking has me seriously purchasing one of these again for any games requiring in game hands.
Does the Quest do away with the "world wobble" that is faintly present on so many PSVR games that use 6 dof? Because I'm losing my patience with that as well. More games should be set on a boat to justify it.

PSVR owner here. I loved my time with the platform, but the Quest's tracking is so much better, especially the touch controllers. World does not wobble, and ducking/crouching in Beat Saber actually works. One word of warning though, it's pretty heavy....the PSVR headset is more comfortable and easier to adjust.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I know why it's blurry for me; I accidentally skipped the horizontal and vertical lines 'tutorial'/part when setting up the set for the first time. Is there any way to restart that part? I can't seem to find it, so I'm doubtful (only way I could see it do that part again is by resetting) :/

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
Ugh, just found out my Best Buy order for the carrying case will be delivered on Friday...the same day I'm leaving on a trip for Memorial Day. I was planning on packing my Quest carefully, but now I guess I'll just wait and see if they deliver it before I have to head to the airport at 3pm.

I'm bringing the Quest no matter, what, I wanted to show it to some family members during the vacation. It will be interesting to see if I have to take it out of my bag for security.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I know why it's blurry for me; I accidentally skipped the horizontal and vertical lines 'tutorial'/part when setting up the set for the first time. Is there any way to restart that part? I can't seem to find it, so I'm doubtful (only way I could see it do that part again is by resetting) :/

That's insane. Hopefully not the case. All my friends have different IPD believe it or not.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The most noticeable downgrades in the ports that I have played so far have been in Robo Recall and Creed.

Robo Recall's audio has been compressed to hell and back, it sounds like an early 2010s Ubisoft game. Other than that, the port seems to play perfectly fine. Creed though, that's certainly rough across the board. The IQ is terrible, the text is often jagged and hard to read (which is a problem Robo Recall has too, in fairness) and the performance feels really questionable at times with instances of judder and noticeable framerate drops really dragging down the experience.

Robo Recall is certainly playable and still comes recommended as the gameplay is entirely intact, audiophiles may just want to be aware that they're in for some really rough stuff. Creed may be better off avoided for the time being though until some patches hopefully come along and smooth things out.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
According to this (reddit) PC streaming is working via VRridge. I have not been able to get it to work yet I install but it get's stuck on setting up Steam VR's standing mode.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
The most noticeable downgrades in the ports that I have played so far have been in Robo Recall and Creed. Robo Recall's audio has been compressed to hell and back, it sounds like an early 2010s Ubisoft game. Other than that, the port seems to play perfectly fine. Creed though, that's certainly rough across the board. The IQ is terrible, the text is often jagged and hard to read (which is a problem Robo Recall has too, in fairness) and the performance feels really questionable at times with instances of judder and noticeable framerate drops really dragging down the experience.

Robo Recall is certainly playable and still comes recommended as the gameplay is entirely intact, audiophiles may just want to be aware that they're in for some really rough stuff. Creed may be better off avoided for the time being though until some patches hopefully come along and smooth things out.

The audio is my biggest issue. I don't care about the graphics, but the "BOOM" that happens when a crawler explodes is gone and it sucks. Sound isn't generally super taxing on a system (but it eats a ton of space), so I'm sure it was compressed to hell (or removed) to save space. I don't mind if games get to be 20GB in size. I just want the sound to be good. If they don't want to do that, then give us the option for a sound pack.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
This might seem obvious, but have you tried turning the brightness down to minimum?

The headset doesn't allow you to change brightness at all that I have found. I remember reading on the subreddit that you can't change it when someone asked about raising the brightness. I could be very wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if anyone knows how to get to this part again, definitely let us know. I'm beginning to think you can't.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The PSVR wobble isn't an issue on any other platform. Nonexistant on the Quest.

I'll reiterate, as someone with every major VR Platform--PSVR, Oculus, Vive, Vive Pro + Wireless--I think Quest is the best of all of them. It's a huge jump from PSVR. You won't regret it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
According to this (reddit) PC streaming is working via VRridge. I have not been able to get it to work yet I install but it get's stuck on setting up Steam VR's standing mode.

Wait so is it possible down the line that through streaming it will be possible to play any PCVR title (that's on SteamVR) on the Quest?

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I managed to get sideloaded apps running. If anybody needs help with that I HIGHLY recommend this video. I tried a few other tutorials first and they were all very poor. This one makes it very easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=98&v=Eiz5WKObDeA

So I tried to sideload some emulators. Got a Virtual Boy emulator up and running, and it looks AMAZING! But it didn't support the native Touch controllers so I had to pair a blutooth controller. Followed instructions for pairing in the Oculus app, but I noticed horrible controller input lag.

I thought at first it might be the emulator, but it isn't. The same controller works in the Oculus menus but very sporadically. The lag is present in the interface as well.

So I tried different controllers: PS4 and Switch Pro. Same problem with all of them.

Does anybody have a solution for this or experienced similar problems on Quest or Go? I'm using an Iphone 8 if that makes a difference. If you've successfully got a blutooth controller working, please let me know so I know it's just something with my set up.

Quoting myself just in case anybody else runs into this problem. The solution is Xbox One - S controller (it has to be an S-controller--the newer models). Completely eliminates the lag. Emulators/games that support controller now work great.

Virtual Boy emulator is rad, btw. I had a VB back in the day and loved Vertical Force and Panic Bomber and they are still both a ton of fun.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018

Yeah, if anyone knows how to get to this part again, definitely let us know. I'm beginning to think you can't.

It is under the Tutorial/experience option I believe (where you are also retry first steps). It is labelled as something like comfort and fit and has a picture of the Quest as an icon. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't have mine with me right now.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

It's in your library under tutorial:)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
The game puts you in a pretty place and puts a white circle and a black circle in front of you and you follow the circles with ink lines that move around tai chi motions. If you do it right music plays and as you fault it get's dimmer. It's pretty simple
That's cool and is relaxing but I keep having to move forward and backwards in what seems like too much movement and I fall out of keeping in sync because of it. There is no fail state so you can catch up but I have not found the right scale for it yet.

Thanks. Sounds like it could be what I'm looking for. That or Nature Treks.
That's great news!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, y'all have really not used this device properly if you're sticking to primarily stationary games.

First off, Vader Immortal had me all sorts of emotional and blown away. One of the best VR games of all time, not even a question. Once I beat the episode though, I decided to move onto Apex Construct and Journey of the Gods and that experience may be one of the best I have ever had in video games.

Despite having the Rift and PSVR for almost three years now, I have never gotten Apex Construct. For some reason, I had always been under the impression that it was some sort of bow and arrow wave shooter and, despite enjoying VR wave shooters more than most, the bow and arrow really turned me off simply because the PSVR never handled that well tracking wise and I was always busy playing Beat Saber, Onward and Pavlov on the Rift to give anything else the time of day. Let me tell you - I am so glad that I waited. Apex Construct, despite having some unfortunate performance issues and a bizarre collision problem that indicates that the development team likely didn't have six foot, two inch tall players with wide wingspans as play testers, was revelatory. While in reality I was standing in my living room, I have never (even after hundreds of hours in VR) felt so immersed in a game world before and believe me when I say that my living room felt a world away. Turning 360 degrees, reaching down to pick items off of the floor and literally dropping to the floor and onto my knees to stabilize a long range shot was so insanely surreal that there was simply no question to my mind that I was actually inhabiting the world of Apex Construct. It wasn't until my left earphone fell out of my ear after a particularly strenuous spin move that I performed that I was able ground myself into reality again. I felt so unbelievably convinced of the world around me and it was Apex Construct's breadth of interactive objects that only helped sell that illusion so well.

Pressing forward, I decided to try out Journey of the Gods before my headset (now at 36%) died and what I found was a similarly immersive and utterly delightful game that feels like a classic Zelda sans dungeons, at least so far. The art style and character design is on an entirely different level than most games available on the Quest right now and the image quality is downright pristine because of it. The combat, while incredibly simplistic, evokes the feeling of wooden swords and shields that you and your friends swung at one another as children, only now, there's real damage to be done and your friends are bizarre purple slug monsters spitting out pink orbs of death at your discount Hylian shield. While the early sequence that I played was almost entirely linear, there is a profound sense of scope as you look out at the expansive forest before you and soak it all in. This sense of scale is punctuated as you shift to your "god form" and overlook the world in a tabletop fashion. The most profound feeling though was the sense of adventure. Once again, despite standing in the comfort of my home, it quite honestly felt like I was embarking on a fantastical adventure and while that sort of immersion was always the sales pitch of VR, it was the untethered nature of the headset, crystal clear display and near flawless tracking that truly help that potential materialize for the first time. As I hacked and slashed through purple crystals and explored small nooks and crannies in hopes of finding "sword shards" to upgrade my weapon, there was no barrier between myself and the game world - everything was tracked 1-to-1, the visuals were crisp, the audio (with headphones to circumvent the system's shoddy built-in speakers) was convincing and perfectly mixed and the sensation of physically walking in the real world and having that movement translate perfectly into movement in the game world was downright awe inspiring.

This post isn't even meant to shill specifically for these games (though they both have my whole hearted and emphatic recommendation), I'm hoping to convince others to try games that don't primarily fix you to a singular location and watch as the Quest becomes, in my opinion anyway, the best VR device and one of the best pieces of gaming hardware ever released. The sense of presence and immersion in the game's world is something that first generation VR, for all of its strengths, simply never reached even with ideal set-ups that enabled accurate tracking and a wide play space. There is simply no replacement for a wireless headset with nearly flawless tracking and fantastic games that are incredibly immersive and envelop you in their world. When people have talked about the Quest, they have typically referred to the consumer adoption and sales figures as the metric for its (and subsequently VR's) success. The experiences that I have had on the Quest today have shown me that the sales figures are not the key factor at play here that define the headset as a success, rather, it's the fact that the Quest is the VR headset that people have been dreaming of for decades and one of the best and most immersive gaming platforms ever released.

I'd been thinking about getting it already but your post pushed me over the edge to nab Apex...you weren't exaggerating the immersion factor is pretty strong, it even gave me that lucid dream type sensation I've had before in VR but it's usually a pretty fleeting one, this has me feeling transported like that pretty consistently, I'm impressed :)

If others haven't already played it Apex Construct is totally worth the buy!

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I had been toying with the idea of buying the Nintendo switch Anker battery for a while now and having the Quest I'm thinking of taking the plunge but I'm not sure what size to get, 20100 or 15400.

Does anybody have any of these? Are they happy with them and the amount of extra power they give? What about the weight? Is it annoying to carry while playing?

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on the fence about keeping mine. I love no wires and I'm overall impressed with the quality of the experiences. But it is just so uncomfortable to me. Maybe Vive and Rift users are used to this pressure on your face, but coming from PSVR and the halo setup, I just can't wear the headset for more than 15 minutes. I've tried wearing it looser or adjusting it in different ways but then it's blurry or just doesn't stay on well when moving and I'm opening the whole thing up to grip the back of my head, but the uncomfortableness of it all ruins things. It's really frustrating and it's also a bit hard to justify keeping both especially since I know there will be exclusives worth getting on PSVR. But I loved rolling on the ground while playing Space Pirate Trainer and I think that's really what VR is about. Any thoughts on making this better?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Well, came in here to ask about how comfortable it was and how the experience is if you have to wear glasses.

All of a sudden I got the urge to finally give VR a try and I might go pick it up at Best Buy since I think it'll be easier to just return it if anything.

The one thing holding me back is the games. What are some interesting announced games that might pop up later in the store? Is there any way I can look at the store on a browser or can you only browse the shop on the device?

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I'm on the fence about keeping mine. I love no wires and I'm overall impressed with the quality of the experiences. But it is just so uncomfortable to me. Maybe Vive and Rift users are used to this pressure on your face, but coming from PSVR and the halo setup, I just can't wear the headset for more than 15 minutes. I've tried wearing it looser or adjusting it in different ways but then it's blurry or just doesn't stay on well when moving and I'm opening the whole thing up to grip the back of my head, but the uncomfortableness of it all ruins things. It's really frustrating and it's also a bit hard to justify keeping both especially since I know there will be exclusives worth getting on PSVR. But I loved rolling on the ground while playing Space Pirate Trainer and I think that's really what VR is about. Any thoughts on making this better?

Maybe wait until the VR cover foam interface is out? Mine is on order and should be here soon. I am expecting that to make it a bit more comfortable but yeah...the weight and pressure on the face is one of the few negatives I have.

You obviously already know this but for anyone one reading I can't stress the importance of ensuring that the back strap is pulled back pretty much to the base of your head.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Well, came in here to ask about how comfortable it was and how the experience is if you have to wear glasses.

All of a sudden I got the urge to finally give VR a try and I might go pick it up at Best Buy since I think it'll be easier to just return it if anything.

The one thing holding me back is the games. What are some interesting announced games that might pop up later in the store? Is there any way I can look at the store on a browser or can you only browse the shop on the device?

The quest web store is here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest

I think if you are new to VR what is on there will keep you busy for a while. Personally the next couple of episodes of Vader Immortal are right at the top of my list after playing the first.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L3qAdCcOw

Look at some tips from this video. I'm having the same problem. The way it sits on my face puts a lot of pressure on my cheeks. I'm thinking that getting a VR Cover might be the best way to go, because the default padding on the headset isn't as comfortable as I figured it would be over a long period of time. I think the weight distribution and my face don't mix. I followed some steps in this video and it's better, but I think I need a longer term solution going forward.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I own a Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, PSVR, and now Quest. I have a similar issue with comfort and it's mostly from Oculus headsets, especially the Rift. Rift is apparently really comfortable to alot of people, but that's if it fits you well. Their face gasket is much narrower than HTC Vive's and PSVR's. If your face is wide or flatter than average I guess, you're in for a rough time with Oculus sets. Quest is a lot better in this regard compared to the Rift because the gasket area is very flexible unlike Rift's super rigid one. I can get it to fit, but it's still a tiny bit narrower than what I'd like and it's very front heavy so it feels like it's digging in to my face a bit. I can only wear it about 30 minutes or so before it becomes too painful on my cheekbones and the sides of my face even though I have the head strap cupping the back of my head as best it could. I'm still keeping mine though and I ordered this strap the other day (was in stock then) to see if it helps me at all.

I feel like the VRcover's gasket for the Quest is going to make it more rigid and more uncomfortable for me.

ashbash159

Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to get a 64 GB from Argos a couple hours ago for pick up tomorrow!
I was so soooo close to buying the 128 GB just because it was available all day. Glad I waiting. An extra 64 GB != +£100

Oct 26, 2017
Think I might sell my old Rift and get one of these... It's a hassle getting it set up on my computer in a room with enough space so this seems perfect for me

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for all the info everyone, especially for the video. I'm definitely going to experiment some more to see if I can find something that is more comfortable overall.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Maybe wait until the VR cover foam interface is out? Mine is on order and should be here soon. I am expecting that to make it a bit more comfortable but yeah...the weight and pressure on the face is one of the few negatives I have.

You obviously already know this but for anyone one reading I can't stress the importance of ensuring that the back strap is pulled back pretty much to the base of your head.
I would add also that you have to get it to the back of your head then tighten the side straps pretty tight to keep it there, then finally "lift" it using the top strap after the side straps are tight. The tightness makes it a bit uncomfortable but it's better than it being so heavy on your cheeks.

I am hoping for a good aftermarket solution though that will be more Vive Pro/PSVR style replacement.

The headstrap is pretty much removable I think? If so, it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a good alternative.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Got it set up but can't get it comforable. Even loosening the top strap and pulling the back down low, it's not taking any weight on the back or top of my head - maybe I don't have enough of a bump at the vacknto hook onto? So it's squashing my cheeks and pulling my eyes open. I also get a pain in my forehead just right if centre after about 30 mins -also on psvr so maybe I have a bumpy head and it's pushing on one spot?

From the games I think I'll hold off on boxVR for now

Out of Shadow Point, I expect you to die, and the bow and arrow one I forgot the name of - which would you pick first?

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If they can pull this off wifi streaming, surely it would be possible using USB-C, right? Doesn't that have have higher bandwidth?

USB-C definitely has more bandwidth and would be the dream scenario (for seated experiences where full bandwidth > completely wireless). Do we know if any of those three apps are even attempting to go this route?