• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Worth noting that it has to be a Gen 3 or Ultra Chromecast (my gen 2 does not show up so i had to move our newest one into the living room) and some games do not work when streaming (no idea why).

It works reasonably well though but can be a bit flaky, certainly better than nothing though.

Anyone tried with an Android TV? I have one which has CC built in, but no idea if it'll be supported. If not I can grab a CC from a store before my quest arrives

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I have just checked Quest games prices and SuperHOT shows as 24.99 even though I have the game on the Rift. Wasn't it one of the games that was supposed to be discounted for the owners of the other version?
I am really tempted to buy the Quest, but the need to rebuy everything full price discourages me.

Superhot isn't crossbuy & there is no discount, their reasoning was that they put a years worth of work into the Quest port & made some changes for 360 degrees gameplay.

I believe all of the Oculus Studio's games are crossbuy along with a lot of external developers games but there are a few notable non-crossbuy games like Superhot & Beat Saber (however the DLC for the latter is crossbuy). It's all the developer in question's decision.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really enjoying this thing, it's like the switch of vr. Yeah games don't look as great but fuck it's way more convenient to use.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Echoes my thoughts almost verbatim! FB (Oculus) might just have a huge hit on their hands. You can really tell that a lot of thought and care went into this device.

I also agree with that write-up. And just want to piggyback onto the care statement. Because John Carmack has been fanatical about mobile from the day he joined Oculus. And honestly, it annoyed me quite often. But this baby is his vision come to life and I finally get why he was so dogmatic. This is VR's first honest chance to go mainstream.

I also feel like his militant stance on MSAA and jaggies being death in VR is why the games look as good as they do. I genuinely wonder if they've greenlit any game that uses deferred rendering. If he's forbid it, I'd actually be completely on board. You don't need fancy graphics in VR, you just need them to keep framerate and be sharp and clean. Which Quest games seem to be and why they look so good despite the modest specs.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So excluding Beat Saber, Job Simulator, Superhot and the free offerings... What games have the most replay value at a glance thus far?

How's OrbusVR, is that an actual MMO or is it very bare bones?

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
So excluding Beat Saber, Job Simulator, Superhot and the free offerings... What games have the most replay value at a glance thus far?

I have replayed levels on Robo Recall - the scoring system is pretty good. Space Pirate Trainer seems also to be a good highscore driven game.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Holy balls, set it up and went throughout the tutorial, I was throwing my controllers in the air and catching 'em. The accuracy is insane, like Wii Remote+ on steroids. And then when I started creating the Guardian boundary and walked around, I finally believe all the praise VR gets. The immersion is like no other, and that was just with the tutorial section. So far I bought Beat Saber and Super Hot alongside some free apps, will look at recommendations here to see what is worth purchasing. You better believe this is the future because holy damn is it liberating not dealing with cords and eight years-old tracking solutions.
is the tracking better than oculus rift with 3 cameras? (2 front 1 back)

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting for mine to come in. Plz amazon.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone tried Job Simulator without a 2x2m playing field as recommended? Is it still playable standing more or less stationary?

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Both of those 3.5mm ports are stereo. You don't have to use both. The PSVR earbuds are perfect for these since they are short and they are L shaped plugs so I've been using those.

I presumed that, but I'm looking for two single headphones with a short cable so that they're really neat/tidy on the headset I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get into OrbusVR?

Bought it and played for about an hour last night. I really disliked my experience -- thinking about getting a refund. It's just very wonky feeling, and barely tells you how to do anything.

Everything else has been incredible -- I love Journey of the Gods so much.

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously in love with this thing, it's really incredible and I can't wait for everyone I know to try it. Which brings me to my next point. I'm so seriously disappointed in the "streaming" abilities. One of the most fun aspects of VR (to me) is showing it off to people/swapping with others. This is pointless if they're in the headset and I can't see what they're doing or I'm trying to instruct people with a huge delay via Chromecast. I know that the feature is in beta, but man, this has to be on the top of the priority list right? To me, this is the one thing that would make this thing an easy sell to others. Having Beat Saber not even be able to do it at all is a real party killer :( Such a huge bummer. I really hope they make some HUGE leaps forward and improve this soon.

Also - I thought I read that the guardian system is supposed to remember the rooms you set it up in, so you don't have to keep doing it. Does anyone know how to do that? I have to set it up every time I play.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried Job Simulator without a 2x2m playing field as recommended? Is it still playable standing more or less stationary?
I haven't played it on Quest yet but just from my experience on Rift and PSVR it should work fine for the most part as most of the objects you interact with are close by you.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So one thing. I have a stuck pixel. It's not really noticeable in game, but on loading screens and in *really* dark scenes it's there. I'm going to see if I can stop noticing it, if not I'll be hitting up support. It might seem like a really small issue (it doesn't even seem to be stuck at a particularly high brightness) but its in my good eye (I have one eye that's basically perfect and one that's trash).

I played through Vader's story mode (which is where I started noticing it). It was my first time using climbing mechanics, which I loved as much as I thought I would. The light saber fighting was really good. Pulling off blocks felt wonderful, better than hitting enemies in fact, with the marriage of visuals, movement and haptic feedback. The haptics aren't as powerful as I thought they would be, and I certainly wouldn't rave about them compared to what you get with the switch, but they're decent and Vader does use them well. With more powerful haptics and better particle/impact effects, hitting enemies might be as fun as blocking, which will partly be resolved on the Rift version I expect.

Other than Vader I've just been exploring the free stuff. The Oculus experiences are short, but generally very good. I like the thing with the little alien you play with best out of the free first party experiences. I haven't fired up Rec Room or VR Chat yet but I probably will.

The built in speakers, while lacking bass response, really impressed me with how good the positional audio is. Valve's solution with the index is likely the perfect marriage of both ideas.

As far as impressions of the general quality... the screens are good, though yeah, pentile. Not my preference but a step up from what the Rift had. Build quality is very high, but yeah, stuck pixel. Even though I've never used the touch controllers before, I keep picking them up upside down. Other than that I really like them.

For $400 it's a steal. My hesitation to return mine to try and get one with a perfect stuck screen is because I don't want to go without it for a week or whatever it'll take.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm seriously in love with this thing, it's really incredible and I can't wait for everyone I know to try it. Which brings me to my next point. I'm so seriously disappointed in the "streaming" abilities. One of the most fun aspects of VR (to me) is showing it off to people/swapping with others. This is pointless if they're in the headset and I can't see what they're doing or I'm trying to instruct people with a huge delay via Chromecast. I know that the feature is in beta, but man, this has to be on the top of the priority list right? To me, this is the one thing that would make this thing an easy sell to others. Having Beat Saber not even be able to do it at all is a real party killer :( Such a huge bummer. I really hope they make some HUGE leaps forward and improve this soon.

Also - I thought I read that the guardian system is supposed to remember the rooms you set it up in, so you don't have to keep doing it. Does anyone know how to do that? I have to set it up every time I play.
It's just supposed to do it. Mine didn't struggle doing it last night, despite it going from daytime to night time.

Oct 27, 2017
I only played for an hour, but I really disliked it. I do see how there might be a lot of content, though -- the classes seem fun, and once you figure out how the heck to use a weapon, it is pretty satisfying. It's just not polished enough for me yet. I'm getting a refund and will probably get it down the line if it improves the user experience a bit.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018

Beat Saber is deliberately blocking casting for legal reasons apparently. They are trying to sort it but it is very frustrating the feature isn't there for the social side of VR.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

After just learning that this was possible at all, this seems like a huge bummer :P
I'll wait for a while either way and hopefully they'll be able to improve in this area - it's one of the best parts of VR for me so far.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thing is fantastic. It feels so nice to be without a tether and the tracking is more like PCVR than the mediocre PSVR tracking. As a mainly-PSVR user, it's taking me time to get used to the idea that I can turn around and the thing doesn't flip out.

That said, it's kinda heavy and hard to find a place where it doesn't put quite a bit of pressure on my cheeks. Kinda wish it had a headband like PSVR/Lenovo Mirage/Rift S(?), which is FAR more comfortable. Also, the guardian stuff is far too sensitive and my decent-sized play area keeps having the grid pop out way before I actually need it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The built in speakers, while lacking bass response, really impressed me with how good the positional audio is. Valve's solution with the index is likely the perfect marriage of both ideas.

This. I see a lot of complaints about the speakers, but I've been super impressed by them. I've only ever known VR with my Grado SR80s. The only exception was my brief experience with the built in speakers on the Samsung Odysessy+, and I thought those were terrible. I'm super surprised by how good these are and can only imagine how awesome the Index speakers will be.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Concerned by the comments around the guardian popping up a lot if you are in a limited space. i have a room space of 6'6" x 7'. Does this mean i will see that mesh frequently when extending my arms? I watched the UploadVR stream and it seemed to happen A LOT, especially with Beat Saber. I suppose i could include my sofa inside the guardian boundary (as i would be unlikely to punch it, just perhaps fall over it). That would buy me another 18" i guess.

My house is so small i think i have to resign myself to the fact that it does not really allow for roomscale. Perhaps i should just stick with my PSVR. Shame if this is the case, as i woud really love a system that tracks properly. I had a great hour with Shooty Fruity on PSVR, then it just completely shat itself for no reason whatsoever.

I dont mind spending £400 to get a good solution to this, but not at the expense of another problem that will simply never go away.
I wouldn't let space dissuade you. Not only are there plenty of stationary experiences, the tracking and controllers alone is so light years beyond PSVR that makes it worth it. And you can always save bigger space requirement games for when you go somewhere else. Portability is an awesome feature here.

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Saber is deliberately blocking casting for legal reasons apparently. They are trying to sort it but it is very frustrating the feature isn't there for the social side of VR.
I read yesterday that apparently Beat Saber streaming is being worked on.
That's great! It's going to all be for nothing if they don't improve the latency though. It's a huge wet blanket at the moment, but I guess it's better than nothing.

After just learning that this was possible at all, this seems like a huge bummer :P
I'll wait for a while either way and hopefully they'll be able to improve in this area - it's one of the best parts of VR for me so far.

Seriously! I much prefer VR as a social experience vs. a singular one. I'm really hoping they can improve the latency because at this point I'd almost rather buy a cable to plug in directly to HDMI for certain games, which sorta defeats the purpose of the Quest.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
This could end up being the absolute vr to beat if they figure out a way to tether video from PC's to it over usb3. The best of both worlds. Maybe the next version will let you do both. The index price is a joke compared. Having to pay $300 for external tracking and still tethered seems so antiquitated.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This could end up being the absolute vr to beat if they figure out a way to tether video from PC's to it over usb3. The best of both worlds. Maybe the next version will let you do both. The index price is a joke compared. Having to pay $300 for external tracking and still tethered seems so antiquitated.
That's definitely where Oculus should go. After using quest, I think it makes way more sense for them to just have one headset that can play PC VR games when tethered and oculus quest store apps when not.

Devs could even offer improved tethered upgrades a la PS4 Pro/XBX. But if I had to choose right now I'd probably still play untethered 90% of the time and only use tethers when a game required it.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is definitely the headset to beat now. So, so good. That freedom and portability is killer. Still need to try some bigger titles like Journey of the Gods and Shadowpoint, but everything I've played so far has seemed to hold up really well.
But I also echo the complaints regarding the casting and Guardian issues; it needs to be way easier to make this thing cast to more devices, and also some additional options for how aggressively the Guardian behaves would be nice. I don't have a ton of space so it's flashing up nearly constantly. Don't know if unlocking Dev mode gives more leeway on this.
I also like the idea of hybridising the headset in the future and allowing it to work as a pass-through headset for PC VR games. I mean, it would make the Rift itself seem almost entirely pointless afterwards, but it would make a ton of functional sense. I imagine there'll be a third-party solution to this before long either way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely where Oculus should go. After using quest, I think it makes way more sense for them to just have one headset that can play PC VR games when tethered and oculus quest store apps when not.

Devs could even offer improved tethered upgrades a la PS4 Pro/XBX. But if I had to choose right now I'd probably still play untethered 90% of the time and only use tethers when a game required it.

Business - would they be as wiling to aggressively price Quest if you could connect a USB cable and play steam VR games? With quest they know most games are coming through their digital store.

Quest-ion : if you stream to the phone (but don't cast) - can you connect the phone via eg lightning-HDMI as a mirroring option? If so, are there any benefits like eg less latency, better quality, Beat Saber working :P ?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely the headset to beat now. So, so good. That freedom and portability is killer. Still need to try some bigger titles like Journey of the Gods and Shadowpoint, but everything I've played so far has seemed to hold up really well.
But I also echo the complaints regarding the casting and Guardian issues; it needs to be way easier to make this thing cast to more devices, and also some additional options for how aggressively the Guardian behaves would be nice. I don't have a ton of space so it's flashing up nearly constantly. Don't know if unlocking Dev mode gives more leeway on this.
I also like the idea of hybridising the headset in the future and allowing it to work as a pass-through headset for PC VR games. I mean, it would make the Rift itself seem almost entirely pointless afterwards, but it would make a ton of functional sense. I imagine there'll be a third-party solution to this before long either way.

Pretty much everyone has been asking for this since effectively the first Gear VR. I'd like to know, aside from cost. What are the major reasons we haven't seen this? It just seems like such a no brainer way to add immense value to your platform.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like there has to be a relatively simple data solution where you transfer video signal to the headset and then positional data back to the PC if connected.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Pretty much everyone has been asking for this since effectively the first Gear VR. I'd like to know, aside from cost. What are the major reasons we haven't seen this? It just seems like such a no brainer way to add immense value to your platform.
I'm sure bandwidth is major reason. I'm not sure if USB C is even good enough for what you'd need. But also this is the first VR portable headset with inside out tracking and 6 degrees of freedom room and controller tracking. It literally would not have been possible on those other headsets.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
After a solid 3 hours last night I think my only standout complaints are:

1. The guardian is too sensitive. In my computer room, I can sketch out a play space that's probably at least 1'x1' larger than the recommended size and I still see the guardian almost constantly. Even in Beat Saber. If I'm playing a game where I actually move in space, it can get pretty distracting. It feels like it comes up when I'm within about 2 feet of the boundary. Even the larger 10'x15' area I tried last night felt a little tight because of it. I'm sure they can scale this back though.
  2. I can't figure out how to trigger the black and white pass through quickly. The route I took a couple times ended up with me having to redraw a boundary. Probably because I did something wrong, I dunno.
Basically, what I'm saying is: my only complaints are minor OS things that'll probably be ironed out in the first update. This device is really well made from top to bottom. If the quality and execution was half of what the final product actually is, it would still be impressive to have functional standalone 6-DOF in 2019. Every VR gaming device released so far has been impressive, but none of them have even approached the practicality of this device.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
That's just weird. There's nothing stopping you from watching someone else play on PC or PSVR.
Yes, they look great. I ripped 'Hugo' which is the only 3D blu ray I have and popped it onto the headset via PC. It plays well in the Oculus gallery app.
Can I ask what you used to convert your ripped movie file to SBS or whatever? I'm trying B3DD2MK3D and it either crashes during conversion or the output becomes just a green screen halfway through.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
how is the framerate? any drops or stutters so far?

Some games are worse than others, I haven't played many of the games that I have heard to be the worst culprits....that said, I have only noticed one bad drop and that was playing The Journey of the Gods demo which stalled for about half a second.

That's just weird. There's nothing stopping you from watching someone else play on PC or PSVR.

Can I ask what you used to convert your ripped movie file to SBS or whatever? I'm trying B3DD2MK3D and it either crashes during conversion or the output becomes just a green screen halfway through.

MakeMKV > BD3D2MK3D > AVIsynth

I followed this guide: https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...play-3d-blu-ray-movies-any-hmd-in-vr-for-free