• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
1 more day! Can't wait for tomorrow. I've owned all the major VR headsets and I'm most excited for Quest! Can't wait for something that's easy to use and has 6dof!

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm torn between the Quest and the S. I'm super in to the idea of the freedom of the Quest but I'm worried about ongoing software support. I also have a gaming laptop.. so in theory i could get some kind of back pack setup to get near the best of both worlds.. but that sounds like a hassle to set up every time.

Decisions decisions...

If it was a single device that was standalone when untethered but then worked like an S if you just plugged it in to a PC I'd have preordered the damn thing already.

If you're interested in room-scale VR, sharing VR experiences with friends, and taking VR with you on trips, absolutely get a Quest. The freedom and ease of use is phenomenal - I have a dev kit and it's become my go-to daily VR system. If my wife wants to use the tv room where I have my rift setup, then I just Quest in the kitchen and it rocks. To me, it really feels like the culmination of this first gen of "good VR."

*but* If you are mainly interested in cockpit simulators, racing games, or VR art tools like Oculus Medium (which is crazy awesome, btw), then the Rift / Rift S is the way to go.

I'm so stoked for people to start experiencing the Quest this week!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Def grabbing one.

Quick question for all you tech savy coolios out there.

What are the chances of people being able to do cool mod stuff with this thing?

Side loading is definitely a thing. It's a new platform so it will take a while for good stuff.

Also there's a free beat saber clone with mods and it'll be there in time.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone's Best Buy order from the US ship yet? Mine still hasn't shipped but it seems to still be available for pick up tomorrow. So wondering if I should just change it.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're interested in room-scale VR, sharing VR experiences with friends, and taking VR with you on trips, absolutely get a Quest. The freedom and ease of use is phenomenal - I have a dev kit and it's become my go-to daily VR system. If my wife wants to use the tv room where I have my rift setup, then I just Quest in the kitchen and it rocks. To me, it really feels like the culmination of this first gen of "good VR."

*but* If you are mainly interested in cockpit simulators, racing games, or VR art tools like Oculus Medium (which is crazy awesome, btw), then the Rift / Rift S is the way to go.

I am a 3D artist and am suuuper interested in Medium! But man I also want the freedom you described in the first half.

I know a device that's the best of both worlds is gonna come, probably next year, but who can wait when there's a hype train to jump on?? ;))

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been this excited by a new platform/device in a loooong time! I have a Vive, Rift (DK1 and CV1), Gear VR, and PSVR already, but the allure of having a self contained pick-up-and-go 6DOF device for all of my VR needs has me feeling like we live in the future. A lot more excited than I was back in 2016, even! I will pick up my 128 gig tomorrow morning so that I can spend the day testing this thing out.

Please let me know if Era will have an official Rec Room or VRChat room up tomorrow. Would love to drop in!

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
That's weird, I didn't get a SUPERHOT VR code back in the day despite being a Kickstarter backer (actually didn't know that was a thing tbh), but I DID receive an email a few days ago saying I got a free copy of SUPERHOT VR for Quest specifically as a thank you for being a backer.

The email also stated it would be valid for whenever I decided to get a Quest, even if I didn't get one at launch, so I would've assumed the code would be good for a reasonable period of time. I'd maybe contact the devs to see if they can fix you up.
Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't seen it was meant to be free for backers, and it turns out my Gmail account flagged the email as spam for some reason. Just redeemed it 😁

This has been one of the most absurd amounts of value I've gotten from a Kickstarter project.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV

Are you a Quest developer? I actually have questions that I'd love to ask...

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Did anyone's Best Buy order from the US ship yet? Mine still hasn't shipped but it seems to still be available for pick up tomorrow. So wondering if I should just change it.
Yep. change it. I'm in Los Angeles. My Best Buy had them at 3pm ready to go. I went to pick mine up and the lady had it in her hand was about to hand it to me when she realized that the release date is tomorrow and asked me to come back. They're already sitting there. Don't ship. Go pick up when they open.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RE: cockpit stuff in VR, when I got PSVR I jumped to the top 3 in Wipeout race results online immediately. Before that I was mid pack.

The VR advantage is real.

And it's because your degree of control spikes even though you're using the same controls.

Your control spikes because of your perspective.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I've seen a lot of Reddit posts saying that their BB order hasn't moved either. I'd say if it's still available for pickup, cancel and do that. It's increasingly looking like they just dropped the ball pretty badly with this, and super unlikely that their system just hasn't updated with tracking info and its going to show up tomorrow.

On a Best Buy note, I'm pretty salty that they didn't have a pick-up at 12 PM eastern option like they've done with quite a few gaming related releases in the past. I know the Quest isn't Red Dead 2, but if my store is still open when it's 12 PM on the East Coast, I'm not super clear on why they couldn't ring it up. I had all of today off, and I'm at work for 10 hours tomorrow.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
No 60fps on Switch is pretty much a dealbreaker for me but it's good to know that the other versions are targeting it. PC or PS4 it is.
CHANGE IT.

Edit:. I changed mine and got my pickup notification 18 minutes ago at midnight.
Yep. change it. I'm in Los Angeles. My Best Buy had them at 3pm ready to go. I went to pick mine up and the lady had it in her hand was about to hand it to me when she realized that the release date is tomorrow and asked me to come back. They're already sitting there. Don't ship. Go pick up when they open.
I've seen a lot of Reddit posts saying that their BB order hasn't moved either. I'd say if it's still available for pickup, cancel and do that. It's increasingly looking like they just dropped the ball pretty badly with this, and super unlikely that their system just hasn't updated with tracking info and its going to show up tomorrow.

On a Best Buy note, I'm pretty salty that they didn't have a pick-up at 12 PM eastern option like they've done with quite a few gaming related releases in the past. I know the Quest isn't Red Dead 2, but if my store is still open when it's 12 PM on the East Coast, I'm not super clear on why they couldn't ring it up. I had all of today off, and I'm at work for 10 hours tomorrow.

Yeah I was hoping maybe it'll just show up because they didn't update the status, but I went and changed it. Will be picking it up tomorrow night. Thanks :)

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bought Superhot, Vader Immortal, and Job Simulator again just because extended family is going to be around for some graduations and I still feel like it's one of the best VR showings.

I've got another $30 budgeted for one more title before my next paycheck; any suggestions?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Vacation Simulator was out, I wanted to play that on Quest. I already have Job Simulator, I'm not gonna buy it again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about Box VR. I can definitely see myself using the Quest as a fitness device.

I'm trying to be a tiny bit sensible on some purchases but I'm tempted too. A demo would help

Think I'll get beat Saber at launch then see what my wife thinks as she wants a boxercise thing and there is boxVR or the switch one

Likewise I think I'll get shadow point or apex construct but not both immediately

With such a large day one catalogue I can imagine a bit of a drought coming up so pacing things may not be a bad idea and I can wait for impressions on some titles like Robo Recall

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Superhot, Vader Immortal, and Job Simulator again just because extended family is going to be around for some graduations and I still feel like it's one of the best VR showings.

I've got another $30 budgeted for one more title before my next paycheck; any suggestions?

Space pirate trainer if you didn't already get it cross buy and it's super cheap

Then surely Beat Saber?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When you put some sliders on your furniture feet and realized that within seconds you can move things to create a 10x10ft playable space for roomscale.

b6ZJksH.jpg

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
When you put some sliders on your furniture feet and realized that within seconds you can move things to create a 10x10ft playable space for roomscale.

Nice! Similar thing in my apartment - we have a rolling-cart-thing as a small island in our kitchen, so I realized that if I just and push it out of the way, I get a bigger and better vr space than my living room and don't have to hog the TV :D

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get sliders onto my coffee table for easier movement. I can gain another couple of feet pushing the sofa back but will try without first. Table has very thin glass legs - difficult to find discreet sliders

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space pirate trainer if you didn't already get it cross buy and it's super cheap

Then surely Beat Saber?

Have SPT through crossbuy. Beat Saber is on my list, but as much as this makes me a monster, I've played a lot of it on PSVR and was looking for more roomscale walking experiences initially.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I need to get sliders onto my coffee table for easier movement. I can gain another couple of feet pushing the sofa back but will try without first. Table has very thin glass legs - difficult to find discreet sliders

Sliders are amazing for quick rearranging to clear off space. I know that some people would call this 'friction' but I don't mind doing it every day.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Have SPT through crossbuy. Beat Saber is on my list, but as much as this makes me a monster, I've played a lot of it on PSVR and was looking for more roomscale walking experiences initially.

You were talking about sharing with friends/family, so was thinking about them more than you, you monster :P

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So despite other people's orders shipping from Dublin to mainland EU, my order is coming from the Netherlands.

And I'm in Ireland. Ffs.
Don't think anything actually ships out of Dublin, logistically wouldn't make sense for international shipping. Netherlands is the main warehouse hub.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
The local Saturn here has it in stock. So tempted to buy this. I once owned a Rift DK2 and I got motion sickness pretty quickly - is it still as bad as back then?
Is there an ERA Rec Room or VR Chat server?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest are around 2GB, most are well under 1GB. 64 should be fine if you're not downloading tons of video and don't mind redownloading games now and again.
Well, biggest launch title.s are that size. The biggest known title is 13GB, The Climb, but really, 64GB should be fine unless you are downloading videos

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of ordering direct. My vive from HTC came from digital river and was late, and Oculus I guess have a third party fulfiller? They just don't seem reliable for day one shipping which is weird becuase they should have their stock right there!

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
New to VR? Job Simulator - fabulous playground to get your legs.

Yes! More or less. I had a DK2 for a week or so but only did some random rollercoaster thingy that got me sick. lol
Btw: I pulled the trigger and can pickup my Quest in an hour and have the rest of the day off. :)
I'm excited!

simonski

Oct 31, 2017
Set it up in the kitchen (THE KITCHEN), and whizzed through a few demos and games. Overall very impressed. Almost zero screen door (coming from a Vive), and acceptable god rays. Some performance hitches - Sports Scramble in particular was fairly stuttering. I can probably notice the refresh rate drop, but it's OK. Vader Immortal is absolutely marvellous.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
It's here!

But it's also my daughters 2nd birthday... So I have to wait until she goes down for a nap...

Dammit.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy has my Quest, Quest case, and Rift S ready for pickup. Work is going to suck today.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to check whether a game is meant to be played seated or standing?