• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ars Technica's launch-week feature about day-one Quest games will go live by Wednesday morning. There's no embargo, so I can offer a few tidbits for now for my QUESTHEDZ:

1) Superhot VR includes no new content. It's still freakin' dope, but also freakin' short.
2) I recommend Racket Fury over Sports Scramble. Heartily. But I concede that this is largely about opinion; I enjoy Racket Fury's straight-ahead style over Sports Scramble's utter randomness.
3) TiltBrush currently needs a once-over in performance optimization. If you load particularly complex sketches from the pre-loaded gallery, you're in for some frame rate judders, but they're not consistent. Drawing from scratch, OTOH, works fine.
4) Beat Saber's interface seems like it might be incomplete. Doesn't currently include a DLC purchase interface. Also, in a really weird move, you have to buy the app anew on Quest, even if you bought it on the Rift, but any Quest DLC purchases carry over to the Rift version. (The same lack of Rift-to-Quest cross-buy applies to Superhot VR and Moss.)
5) Rec Room for Quest is currently buggy AF, in terms of random hard crashes. It otherwise appears to run pretty optimally.
6) We've yet to get any access to Robo Recall Unplugged or Moss Quest.

I can't promise to answer any launch week questions in this thread, but if you ask something interesting, I may have an answer for you in my Weds article, if not here.

There's definitely modes for each sport that allows you to disable "Scramble" and play them straight. Did you try this mode? Still weren't impressed?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
My point, with regard to PSVR, is I just can't see Sony going wireless unless they have a solution that magically solves all the problems. I just can't see them going backwards and selling something that requires an antenae and wires mounted to your wall.
I think you're describing the TPCast experience. The HTC transmitter looks like a webcam and clips on top of your TV. I was surprised at how simple it was to install.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's definitely modes for each sport that allows you to disable "Scramble" and play them straight. Did you try this mode? Still weren't impressed?

Correct. They all feel like kiddie-grade versions of VR sports (and these "straight" modes kinda explain why they add the wacky randomness, to spice up the slow speed and other ho-hum stuff). Racket Fury has the exact kind of flow and physics system that to me screams, "this could only work in VR." I know it's a port of a PC-VR game, but it's a damned good Quest implementation... in single-player mode.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're describing the TPCast experience. The HTC transmitter looks like a webcam and clips on top of your TV. I was surprised at how simple it was to install.

Interesting. For some reason I thought it had to be mounted on the wall. I even remember thinking (when I first saw it), it'd be less annoying if you could at least daisy-chain it onto one of the lighthouse mounts.

Correct. They all feel like kiddie-grade versions of VR sports (and these "straight" modes kinda explain why they add the wacky randomness, to spice up the slow speed and other ho-hum stuff). Racket Fury has the exact kind of flow and physics system that to me screams, "this could only work in VR." I know it's a port of a PC-VR game, but it's a damned good Quest implementation... in single-player mode.

That's not what I wanted to hear, but it's definitely something that I had a nagging suspicion was true. Sounds like it should have just been a pack-in instead of 30 dollars.

I already have Eleven tennis on Steam (and don't mind wired VR if forward facing), so I guess I'll just have to wait for RacketNX to release for my sports fix. I'm still gonna try the demo, but unless a lot of people start raving about Sports Scramble, I guess I'll take it off my list:(

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is there a review embargo on the games, or do we know of any outlets who'll be covering them for review? I'd like to have a more solid review on a few games before buying in, prices are spendy.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. For some reason I thought it had to be mounted on the wall. I even remember thinking (when I first saw it), it'd be less annoying if you could at least daisy-chain it onto one of the lighthouse mounts.
Yeah it's great.

1) Superhot VR includes no new content. It's still freakin' dope, but also freakin' short.
Huh... the devs said that they were enhancing the game to take more advantage of 360 play. Is it maybe found in the bonus modes?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huh... the devs said that they were enhancing the game to take more advantage of 360 play. Is it maybe found in the bonus modes?

In fact they said the original game would be included as an easter egg floppy disk inside of the enhanced game.

I'm starting to wonder if some of these Quest ports are being released unfinished...

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Please elaborate on that last thought.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

That's not what I wanted to hear, but it's definitely something that I had a nagging suspicion was true. Sounds like it should have just been a pack-in instead of 30 dollars.

I already have Eleven tennis on Steam (and don't mind wired VR if forward facing), so I guess I'll just have to wait for RacketNX to release for my sports fix. I'm still gonna try the demo, but unless a lot of people start raving about Sports Scramble, I guess I'll take it off my list:(
I am probably going to do the same as the highlighted. I got to play RacketNX on a wireless Vive Pro setup and it was great fun, so I'm definitely planning on getting it on Quest. Sports Scramble... I'm interested but I want more information about depth given the $30 price point.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it's great.

In fact they said the original game would be included as an easter egg floppy disk inside of the enhanced game.

I'm starting to wonder if some of these Quest ports are being released unfinished...

Can confirm there's at least the original on a floppy, just found it by mistake lol. Not sure what else/if there is anything else new.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

I don't doubt that many games are buggy and still need some polish. Looks like they were shooting for that release day and did what they could to get there. My hope is that work continues and they'll get put into much better shape as the days and months go by. The fact that games like RecRoom are missing lots of things should drive home that point.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FYI it was officially announced that Superhot DLC carries over for free since unlike the game it didn't require anything be rewritten.

I don't doubt that many games are buggy and still need some polish. Looks like they were shooting for that release day and did what they could to get there. My hope is that work continues and they'll get put into much better shape as the days and months go by. The fact that games like RecRoom are missing lots of things should drive home that point.

Maybe there's some Day One patches that haven't been uploaded yet also...

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know they've been VERY clear about NOT doing this... but fuck. I'm taking a friend and doing this either at dusk or if its cloudy. Truly looks like a gaming experience like nothing else.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's great.

It sounds like it was small quality of life improvements. For example, previous versions ended a level with you grabbing a pyramid thing that always appeared front-center, to make sure you were facing forward and not getting wrapped up in cables. Now they just move onto the next stage without that delay.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I know they've been VERY clear about NOT doing this... but fuck. I'm taking a friend and doing this either at dusk or if its cloudy. Truly looks like a gaming experience like nothing else.

I watched this. Totally amazing. I doubt I'll do it with my own unit, but it was cool to watch how he was moving around in real life and the game at the same time. It'll be cool to see what kind of things devs can come up with based on this functionality.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a market (since outdoors has all the issues it does), but games with redirected walking would totally open up if you could design around those size playfields.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The Quest store is live and I've bought it all... oh my.
I'm amazed I haven't yet. I've got nearly $300 in my pay pal account too. I'm going to wait until I've played the demos and read reviews.

DAMNIT. I AM GOING TO. NO. CLOSE THE APP. STOP ADDING THINGS TO YOUR CART.

I am going to show self control. I am.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Hoping Best Buy don't sell out since i am trading back my PSVR for it. Looks fantastic for a $399 wireless headset that requires no additional hardware. Tried it at best buy the image quality and everything was superb.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Moss stream I saw on YouTube looked pretty flat; probably to be expected as I've been playing the PSVR version this week.

It may have just been the stream encode though.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Quest is the Switch of VR (portability and convenience at the expense of visuals, which might not be a bad thing), Rift S is the improved/Pro version of the consoles and the Valve Index/Vive Pro/Pimax are like the gaming desktops.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I did it I'm a sucker for hype. Just placed an order for a 64 GB Quest even though I also preordered an Index. I'm thinking my primary use will be to bring this one with me to gatherings of friends/family as a fun activity as well as for drop in and play games like Beat Saber. I feel so much shame, but also excitement.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Welp I did it I'm a sucker for hype. Just placed an order for a 64 GB Quest even though I also preordered an Index. I'm thinking my primary use will be to bring this one with me to gatherings of friends/family as a fun activity as well as for drop in and play games like Beat Saber. I feel so much shame, but also excitement.
If I had the disposable income for both right now I would have done the same.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The Moss stream I saw on YouTube looked pretty flat; probably to be expected as I've been playing the PSVR version this week.

It may have just been the stream encode though.
Were you watching the normal game or the new content? Because there was a video of the new content here earlier, and it looked a lot flatter then the rest of the game because the new areas seem to have no shadows at all, even in lit areas, but other parts of the game seems to have shadows, from videos I've seen, even if they are just blobs.

Edit: The video I saw may have been of the PSVR version, I think it was mislabeled.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Still undecided on the Quest, but I went to create an Oculus account just in case and tried to finally redeem my ancient SuperHOT VR code from the Kickstarter campaign, and it's expired ;_;

Inching closer to pulling the trigger on the headset. I have a PSVR, and the relative inconvenience of both setup & location is the biggest thing that keeps me from using it more.

That's weird, I didn't get a SUPERHOT VR code back in the day despite being a Kickstarter backer (actually didn't know that was a thing tbh), but I DID receive an email a few days ago saying I got a free copy of SUPERHOT VR for Quest specifically as a thank you for being a backer.

The email also stated it would be valid for whenever I decided to get a Quest, even if I didn't get one at launch, so I would've assumed the code would be good for a reasonable period of time. I'd maybe contact the devs to see if they can fix you up.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I get quite a lot of exercise from Beat Saber. Of course, I currently play using the huge/heavy Vive wands, and make huge swings. Play that for a half hour/45 minutes, you'll get some great exercise.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
That's weird, I didn't get a SUPERHOT VR code back in the day despite being a Kickstarter backer (actually didn't know that was a thing tbh), but I DID receive an email a few days ago saying I got a free copy of SUPERHOT VR for Quest specifically as a thank you for being a backer.

The email also stated it would be valid for whenever I decided to get a Quest, even if I didn't get one at launch, so I would've assumed the code would be good for a reasonable period of time. I'd maybe contact the devs to see if they can fix you up.

Getting my Quest tomorrow, but i can buy games on the site now? I don't see that option...

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
If I had the disposable income for both right now I would have done the same.

Yeah I am very blessed to be in position where I afford both (plus my SO is out of town for a bit so I can sneak it into the budget under the radar ;)).

The allure of no cords was too powerful in the end haha. VR is at an awkward spot where I really want the fidelity of the Index, but I really think that all-in-one contained units are going to be the way forward once the tech matures a bit and we get things like foveated rendering and other performance improvements. I'm just really enjoying the ride of seeing the tech evolve, and didn't want to miss out on the first appealing standalone device (imo).

Oct 27, 2017
heck, just using weighted bracelets and ankle weights would probably help.
With Box VR, I can see that definitely giving me a workout. haha I'm looking through the titles I currently own and what else I want to get for tomorrow's launch.

Lol no. You will injure yourself. Don't use weights you will mess up your joints. Beats saber is hard enough on the joints as is on the faster modes as is.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, no wrist weights.

If after a few months you really really feel you want your arms to get a bigger workout, light weighted gloves could be OK to try as they keep the wrist in the game re: compensation.

Likewise after a few months (assuming are are already thin) and you want to increase your overall workout, maybe a weighted vest, adding a few ounces at a time.

Anyone overweight (I'm including myself) should be be content with the fact that the extra weight you carry around stressing your body every day is the only weight they should be moving around when doing aerobic exercise. These aren't measured, focused movements like in weight training.

Re: Index, I can afford it. Not interested in tethers. If I had a *dedicated* room I'd mount pulleys and a tensioner and get an Index, maybe. But I don't have a dedicated room.

All-in-one will get more powerful, and I still think wireless will happen but only with eye-tracked foveated rendering so low bandwidth.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Yeah, no wrist weights.

If after a few months you really really feel you want your arms to get a bigger workout, light weighted gloves could be OK to try as they keep the wrist in the game re: compensation.

Likewise after a few months (assuming are are already thin) and you want to increase your overall workout, maybe a weighted vest, adding a few ounces at a time.

Anyone overweight (I'm including myself) should be be content with the fact that the extra weight you carry around stressing your body every day is the only weight they should be moving around when doing aerobic exercise. These aren't measured, focused movements like in weight training.

Re: Index, I can afford it. Not interested in tethers. If I had a *dedicated* room I'd mount pulleys and a tensioner and get an Index, maybe. But I don't have a dedicated room.

All-in-one will get more powerful, and I still think wireless will happen but only with eye-tracked foveated rendering so low bandwidth.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

I'd say with myself, that I can afford the Index and Quest as well if I really wanted to, but I feel like I'm done with tethered VR and having to have a beast PC as well. All of it has just been too much of a hassle these past few years. My Rift and Vive now collects dust, because I'm too lazy to turn on my computer and set up the headset and such.

I'm still really impressed with the Index and what Valve has done, but with the wires, I know that I'll always be taken out of the experience somehow. If anything, the next thing that will get me to play with the Rift again is Lone Echo 2 since I loved the first one.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Quest for watching movies / TV shows? Is it a better experience than watching movies on a 32 inch TV?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Although I love VR I haven't actually used my Rift in months because I constantly get hardware disconnects with the cameras and my play space where the computer is is pretty small so I'm really tempted to get this even with the visual downgrades. The freedom of no wires is REALLY appealing. I'll still have the Rift for stuff like Medium when I want to get back to it.

How is the Quest for watching movies / TV shows? Is it a better experience than watching movies on a 32 inch TV?

I don't have the Quest but based on the GearVR and PC Rift the answer is yes and no. The picture won't look HD because of the limited resolution of the displays but you can actually watch on a HUGE screen if you want. Like movie theater sized.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn between the Quest and the S. I'm super in to the idea of the freedom of the Quest but I'm worried about ongoing software support. I also have a gaming laptop.. so in theory i could get some kind of back pack setup to get near the best of both worlds.. but that sounds like a hassle to set up every time.

Decisions decisions...

If it was a single device that was standalone when untethered but then worked like an S if you just plugged it in to a PC I'd have preordered the damn thing already.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I'm torn between the Quest and the S. I'm super in to the idea of the freedom of the Quest but I'm worried about ongoing software support. I also have a gaming laptop.. so in theory i could get some kind of back pack setup to get near the best of both worlds.. but that sounds like a hassle to set up every time.

Decisions decisions...

With Facebook seeming like it's pushing the Quest more than the S, I wouldn't be surprised if much of their Oculus studio push as well as third party studios to go heavy towards the Quest instead.

You can tell Facebook is now focused on mass market VR which the Quest is.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'll be interested if Beat Saber on Quest ends up supporting mods. That is literally a huge selling point if it ends up being possible.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Def grabbing one.

Quick question for all you tech savy coolios out there.

What are the chances of people being able to do cool mod stuff with this thing?