• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still think this is a pipe dream based on costs alone.

But beyond that, Sony is absolutely going to go camera based inside-out for their next HMD. I almost feel like "wireless" will be a harder sell than tethered in this scenario. They're finally getting rid of the clunky external tracking camera, and now they're going to tell users to plaster a big clunky antennae high up on their wall and run a cable to the PS5? And make sure you have complete line of site to the HMD at all times (or else the image crashes). Even ignoring how expensive it is, it just strikes me as going in a direction Sony doesn't want to go (ie making things simpler and an easier sell to the SO).

Which is why I still think a hybrid system is the most likely. Not only is it cheaper, but it doesn't require anything plastered onto the walls (and unsightly coaxial cables running down from it).

Every single headset priced for regular consumers will be inside-out within two years for sure. Outside in will be limited to expensive high end sets for extreme hobbyists, plus commercial units.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Does Robo Recall have only teleporting?
Yes, the game is based around standing in one spot for a while shooting/dodging in all 360 degrees, then teleporting to another spot. There are times when you want to move around a bit (teleport behind a robot, teleport away when the incoming fire gets too extreme), but the gameplay is not really designed around constant locomotion.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the game is based around standing in one spot for a while shooting in all 360 degrees, then teleporting to another spot. There are times when you want to move around a bit, but it's not really designed around constant motion.

Darn.

Is there any other FPS coming to Quest?

Even if it's just a shooting range or something?

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Darn.

Don't let that deter you. The game is awesome, fast, and can wear you out with the stuff being thrown at you. Shooting feels good and (if I remember correctly) the Quest version does allow limited movement without teleporting. So if you want to walk around in that limited space...you can.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Now that the Quest store is open, I bought/transferred my launch games so I'll be ready tomorrow:

Robo Recall
Space Pirate Trainer
Moss
Apex Construct
Superhot VR
Dance Central
Journey of the Gods
Vader Immortal

Some quick pick-up-and-play and some progression-based games. I might get Sports Scramble too, want to try the demo first. And I already own Beat Saber on Steam, dunno if I want to pay $30 to be able to play it wirelessly. And I'm not sure if my DLC will transfer since I bought it on Steam.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Every single headset priced for regular consumers will be inside-out within two years for sure. Outside in will be limited to expensive high end sets for extreme hobbyists, plus commercial units.

Oh, absolutely. And I maintained a while ago, and still do, that Valve made a mistake in not admitting defeat and killing off lighthouse (not many fellow Vivers appreciated my opinion on that). If they wanted the highest fidelity for Index, they could have just added a sixth camera (back) to it. Would have made the thing a whole lot cheaper and had almost zero consequence on a practical level.

My point, with regard to PSVR, is I just can't see Sony going wireless unless they have a solution that magically solves all the problems. I just can't see them going backwards and selling something that requires an antenae and wires mounted to your wall.

Darn.

Dead & Buried 2 looks like a Quake style arena shooter. It's definitely on my radar (unless people say it sucks/is broken online).

EDIT: And of course the one post that wasn't loaded was plagiarize's:)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the Quest store is open, I bought/transferred my launch games so I'll be ready tomorrow:

Robo Recall
Space Pirate Trainer
Moss
Apex Construct
Superhot VR
Dance Central
Journey of the Gods
Vader Immortal

I already own Beat Saber on Steam, dunno if I want to pay $30 to be able to play it wirelessly. And I'm not sure if my DLC will transfer since I bought it on Steam.

Is there a link to the store? Need to sign up and prepare. :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon (US) is saying I am not getting my shipment until Wednesday, so of course somebody sets up 9 hours of meetings on that day.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon still hasn't sent me anything, but they've updated my 8PM to 11PM, too. Last time I was given absolutely zero shipping info/tracking info, it was with their lovely Amazon delivery service. So here's hoping they're not delivering this, too.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw some video of Robo Recall on the Quest...damn. I'm impressed. Went ahead and purchased it. That brings my day one game list to Beat Saber, Vader, and Robo Recall. Fun times ahead.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on BoxVR? From what I have read so far, it has high appraisal, so just wanted to double check. I am thinking of asking for a refund for KartVR and using that towards BoxVR.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anywhere in the UK still selling this? Thought Argos had it in stock but I can't proceed with my order.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't pre ordered one, but might pick it up in a store if they aren't sold out for a super long time. Just waiting on more impressions. I also bought my cross play titles using Oculus app. For some reason Job Simulator isn't cross buy when it was listed as such earlier but I guess it wasn't a 100% official list (not going to buy it a 3rd time). I also didn't see the Climb in the store yet.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't pre ordered one, but might pick it up in a store if they aren't sold out for a super long time. Just waiting on more impressions. I also bought my cross play titles using Oculus app. For some reason Job Simulator isn't cross buy when it was listed as such earlier but I guess it wasn't a 100% official list (not going to buy it a 3rd time). I also didn't see the Climb in the store yet.

The Climb is coming later. My guess is it'll be released next month. I hope they spread out releases so that we don't end up with crazy droughts.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Anywhere in the UK still selling this? Thought Argos had it in stock but I can't proceed with my order.

Amazon have stock of the 64GB model still.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P6RJ39C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OgX4CbBBT4VMC

Speaking of which...

jv7XpL1_d.jpg

Yay!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Any way to expand the memory via USB flash disks or MicroSD? My 64GB should be arriving tomorrow, i'm getting worried it may not be enough.

Facebook / Oculus charging $100 for a 64gb upgrade is just terrible.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Is Best Buy or anyone doing a night-before early release (they let you take it home at 9pm before they close)?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Any way to expand the memory via USB flash disks or MicroSD? My 64GB should be arriving tomorrow, i'm getting worried it may not be enough.

Facebook / Oculus charging $100 for a 64gb upgrade is just terrible.
As far as we can see, the biggest title by far is The Climb at around 13GBs, but other content is much smaller. For example, Robo Recall: Unplugged and Vader: Immortal are under 3GBs and both Creed and Journey of the Gods are under 1GB. You should have more than enough space unless you hoard content!

Edit: the store is actually live, so you can even scope out the content you want!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Don't let that deter you. The game is awesome, fast, and can wear you out with the stuff being thrown at you. Shooting feels good and (if I remember correctly) the Quest version does allow limited movement without teleporting. So if you want to walk around in that limited space...you can.
You could also turn off the Guardian system and just run around infinitely in like, a hangar or something lol.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on BoxVR? From what I have read so far, it has high appraisal, so just wanted to double check. .
I play it almost every day with a WMR headset with those controllers and it is a great workout tool and has done wonders for my shoulder problems.
As a non-workout game however it is a bit sparse.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah. I'm happy. I've played a ton of Robo Recall...and while this guy is terrible at the game, I think I'm gonna enjoy it quite a bit.
It doesn't look stand out better than other quest games but it looks very visually consistent and you wouldn't know it was a port from a PC game. Doesn't appear to be particularly low res or have foveated rendering like some of the other games ported from more powerful systems.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
What are everyone's thoughts on BoxVR? From what I have read so far, it has high appraisal, so just wanted to double check. I am thinking of asking for a refund for KartVR and using that towards BoxVR.
I've been playing a lot of BoxVR lately as my go-to VR workout app.

It's more a music rythym game than a boxing game (you use jabs, crosses, uppercuts, and dodging to the beat), but what I love about it is its very pick-up-and-play and it has "workouts / track lists" that range from 2 minutes up to an hour. So I usually pick on to fit the time I have to play in and get a decent sweaty workout going :D

Basically, if you're interested in something for exercise, get BoxVR. If you just want the most fun music rhythm game, get Beat Saber, and if you want to box with an opponent, get Creed. Or get all of em :D

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look stand out better than other quest games but it looks very visually consistent and you wouldn't know it was a port from a PC game. Doesn't appear to be particularly low res or have foveated rendering like some of the other games ported from more powerful systems.

Definitely. What I've seen is more than enough for me. I just wish they folks showing off the game were better at playing it. Heh, heh.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ars Technica's launch-week feature about day-one Quest games will go live by Wednesday morning. There's no embargo, so I can offer a few tidbits for now for my QUESTHEDZ:

1) Superhot VR includes no new content. It's still freakin' dope, but also freakin' short.
2) I recommend Racket Fury over Sports Scramble. Heartily. But I concede that this is largely about opinion; I enjoy Racket Fury's straight-ahead style over Sports Scramble's utter randomness.
3) TiltBrush currently needs a once-over in performance optimization. If you load particularly complex sketches from the pre-loaded gallery, you're in for some frame rate judders, but they're not consistent. Drawing from scratch, OTOH, works fine.
4) Beat Saber's interface seems like it might be incomplete. Doesn't currently include a DLC purchase interface. Also, in a really weird move, you have to buy the app anew on Quest, even if you bought it on the Rift, but any Quest DLC purchases carry over to the Rift version. (The same lack of Rift-to-Quest cross-buy applies to Superhot VR and Moss.)
5) Rec Room for Quest is currently buggy AF, in terms of random hard crashes. It otherwise appears to run pretty optimally.
6) We've yet to get any access to Robo Recall Unplugged or Moss Quest.

I can't promise to answer any launch week questions in this thread, but if you ask something interesting, I may have an answer for you in my Weds article, if not here.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Still undecided on the Quest, but I went to create an Oculus account just in case and tried to finally redeem my ancient SuperHOT VR code from the Kickstarter campaign, and it's expired ;_;

Inching closer to pulling the trigger on the headset. I have a PSVR, and the relative inconvenience of both setup & location is the biggest thing that keeps me from using it more.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So despite other people's orders shipping from Dublin to mainland EU, my order is coming from the Netherlands.

And I'm in Ireland. Ffs.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ars Technica's launch-week feature about day-one Quest games will go live by Wednesday morning. There's no embargo, so I can offer a few tidbits for now for my QUESTHEDZ:

1) Superhot VR includes no new content. It's still freakin' dope, but also freakin' short.
2) I recommend Racket Fury over Sports Scramble. Heartily. But I concede that this is largely about opinion; I enjoy Racket Fury's straight-ahead style over Sports Scramble's utter randomness.
3) TiltBrush currently needs a once-over in performance optimization. If you load particularly complex sketches from the pre-loaded gallery, you're in for some frame rate judders, but they're not consistent. Drawing from scratch, OTOH, works fine.
4) Beat Saber's interface seems like it might be incomplete. Doesn't currently include a DLC purchase interface. Also, in a really weird move, you have to buy the app anew on Quest, even if you bought it on the Rift, but any Quest DLC purchases carry over to the Rift version. (The same lack of Rift-to-Quest cross-buy applies to Superhot VR and Moss.)
5) Rec Room for Quest is currently buggy AF, in terms of random hard crashes. It otherwise appears to run pretty optimally.
6) We've yet to get any access to Robo Recall Unplugged or Moss Quest.

I can't promise to answer any launch week questions in this thread, but if you ask something interesting, I may have an answer for you in my Weds article, if not here.

Cheers, Sam. Thanks for dropping in!

Had a chance to play Vader Immortal yet? Worth the $10?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Going by UploadVR's stream, Robo Recall's biggest compromise seems to be reflections and shadows outside of textures. Definitely looks better than the old footage we had before