• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

martyhess

Publishing at EA
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've never been more excited to double dip on games I already own on other platforms.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a portable power bank powerful enough to charge the Quest while playing?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more excited to double dip on games I already own on other platforms.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a portable power bank powerful enough to charge the Quest while playing?

Any 5v 2A charger should be enough. VR oasis is using a 10000mah anker PD charger which he said is just about small enough to pack into the official travel case (if that matters). And there is a code flying around for $10 off on Amazon (check r/oculusquest ).

You'll need a suitable cable - included one is 10ft so too long. I'd say 3-4ft probably ok. Headset end is USBC and battery side is whatever your portable charger uses.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I got an email from Oculus to say mine was processing for shipping yesterday, and still nothing has changed. I'm not getting it at launch after all, am I? :(

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Got my 64Gb and (unofficial) case coming Tuesday. As the owner of a dust-gathering PSVR I'm most excited at the sheer pick-up-and-play ease of the Quest, and the comparatively flawless tracking. Despite the graphical downgrade I believe the immersion will be greater. Just hope it's as comfortable to wear.

Now I need to decide on what games I'll buy to go with the free apps. Definitely Vader Immortal and Beat Saber. May double dip on Superhot. And very tempted by Apex Construct or Shadow Point.

CriticalHit

Dec 20, 2018
I got an email from Oculus to say mine was processing for shipping yesterday, and still nothing has changed. I'm not getting it at launch after all, am I? :(

Same here :(

Got the email yesterday morning but order still says:
"Processing for shipping
Dispatches by May 22"

Hoping they don't dispatch it on the 22nd, that would suck.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
It's my birthday tomorrow, and I feel the need to be impulsive and order the quest for delivery on Tuesday. Anyone know of anywhere that can still deliver for release date in the UK?

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Not quite, the analogy was wrong. The innards are far less powerful than PSVR, in terms of memory, CPU power, GPU power, game size/storage. For raw system power, PSVR is Vegeta, Oculus Quest is Piccolo, Oculus Go is Krillin. PS4 Beat Saber for example has more graphical effects than on Quest. Quest display is quite a large resolution jump, with good IPD adjustment, but PSVR can do higher refresh rate (not supported in all games). Tracking on Quest blows PSVR out of the water, you no longer have to stay in front of that little camera view and if you turn around your controllers aren't blocked. Controllers too, they have real buttons, analogue sticks, a grip button, and know if your fingers are resting on buttons or not. And don't drift, ever. It's much closer to having hands in VR *and* having a real split gamepad.

Don't forget you don't need a PS4 and aren't tethered as well which is huge. Wireless is a game changer for VR, even moreso I believe than FOV or screen resolution.

Needing an external processor (PC or PS4) along with the wires I think has slowed down adoption as all of that for VR has just been a hassle.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What's a good case to pick up for the Quest? The official case seems to have a few little nitpicks based on what I've read (limited space mainly), but I've yet to come across a decent unofficial option.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I keep going back and forth on the Quest. I really want it but the graphic downgrades bother me more than it should. Honestly, cables never bothered me on my old Rift. I think I may get the S instead. I have until Monday to figure it out.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still torn between this and a PS4 + PSVR. I don't have a PS4 and the exclusives (Astrobot, Wipeout, Tetris Effect) are calling me more than wireless with the Quest. I'm well aware of the overlap between the two software libraries of course.

That plus the existing non VR PS4 titles I've missed out on..

Anyway not trying to hijack this thread. It's exciting that there's so many different viable and thriving VR options.

Wish I could afford both!

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm a little concerned about the lack of gameplay videos from both Moss and Robo Recall. These are flagship launch titles and having almost no media whatsoever less than 72 hrs before launch doesn't really inspire confidence.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No, every video review and comparison say there is. Here's a comparison. The graphics look.... flatter, to me.

https://youtu.be/btb0gJT200U

Go to 3:18 in.......yikes! Looks like a PC/Switch comparison.
The lighting being static would definitely account for looking "flatter". It's one of those things that definitely looks worse when doing side-by-side comparisons, though.

It's definitely not just lighting. Geometry detail is lower, foliage detail is reduced (and no AO, I think, but that was probably not a realistic expectation anyways), and textures are much lower-res (and in some cases seem practically non-existent, like on the grassy areas).

I knew Quest was going to perform worse, but I think I got fooled by everyone saying "it's not as bad as I thought it would be." I can see if I'd never seen the PC version that it might be acceptable, but I don't think I can unsee that comparison. It's pretty stark.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm should I sell my OG rift and sensors and buy this? I watched the graphics video and wasn't that fussed about the differences. Both of them are a long way off "real"

I'm a little concerned about the lack of gameplay videos from both Moss and Robo Recall. These are flagship launch titles and having almost no media whatsoever less than 72 hrs before launch doesn't really inspire confidence.

Robo recall is one of my favourites so I'll see how that plays.

Last edited:

martyhess

Publishing at EA
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any 5v 2A charger should be enough. VR oasis is using a 10000mah anker PD charger which he said is just about small enough to pack into the official travel case (if that matters). And there is a code flying around for $10 off on Amazon (check r/oculusquest ).

You'll need a suitable cable - included one is 10ft so too long. I'd say 3-4ft probably ok. Headset end is USBC and battery side is whatever your portable charger uses.

Thanks for the info!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget you don't need a PS4 and aren't tethered as well which is huge. Wireless is a game changer for VR, even moreso I believe than FOV or screen resolution.

Needing an external processor (PC or PS4) along with the wires I think has slowed down adoption as all of that for VR has just been a hassle.
I wasn't saying PSVR was better, I was correcting the misinformation that PSVR was less powerful than Oculus Quest. It really isn't, by a long shot. If all people care about is graphical fidelity, this isn't the device for them.

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
It's definitely not just lighting. Geometry detail is lower, foliage detail is reduced (and no AO, I think, but that was probably not a realistic expectation anyways), and textures are much lower-res (and in some cases seem practically non-existent, like on the grassy areas).

I knew Quest was going to perform worse, but I think I got fooled by everyone saying "it's not as bad as I thought it would be." I can see if I'd never seen the PC version that it might be acceptable, but I don't think I can unsee that comparison. It's pretty stark.
Get a hands-on demo sometime. Games always look better in VR, when all that depth and scale solidify.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh PSVR version of budget cuts?

I think it would be just about doable on quest and hopefully the volumes make it worth it, or oculus make it worth their while

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Get a hands-on demo sometime. Games always look better in VR, when all that depth and scale solidify.

I do have a Rift, though I don't have Apex Construct specifically. Dunno when I'll be able to get my hands on a Quest, but also wondering how quickly they'll iterate on the basic formula (knowing there's already a Snapdragon 845 version of the chipset the Quest runs on makes me think it might be sooner rather than later).

I do kind of agree that you probably won't notice as much once you're in the headset, but the difference is quite significant from the screenshots. We're talking a full generation gap.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I'd be okay with losing out on graphical quality in favor of portability, but the closer I come to pulling the trigger, the more I become concerned about games that the platform could miss out on entirely, physics-heavy stuff like Boneworks and whatnot.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be okay with losing out on graphical quality in favor of portability, but the closer I come to pulling the trigger, the more I become concerned about games that the platform could miss out on entirely, physics-heavy stuff like Boneworks and whatnot.

You're not going to get bleeding edge VR experiences unless you're down to spend $1,000 on the Index. Which is a fully valid option, and something I'll be doing at the end of the year, but definitely something the Quest isn't offering. That said, I genuinely think the trade off of ease of use, quality of software and experience overall, and arena scale potential is a worthwhile trade off if you can only choose one.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for making the thread OP! Was really hoping someone would.

Very excited for my Quest to arrive on Tuesday. Also had notification that the case from Oculus is being processed.

Day 1 games for me are currently:

Vader Immortal
Beat Saber (provided I enjoy the demo)
Superhot
Shadow Point
Virtual Virtually Reality

I also picked up Space Pirate Trainer during the last sale.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Today I asked my girlfriend if she'd be down for co-op zombie slaying if I bought a second Quest. And she offered to buy one herself!

2 units is going to be great, because Friday I'm showing it to some school kids, so now twice as many kids can try (or they can play for twice as long).

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm still torn between this and a PS4 + PSVR. I don't have a PS4 and the exclusives (Astrobot, Wipeout, Tetris Effect) are calling me more than wireless with the Quest. I'm well aware of the overlap between the two software libraries of course.

Anyway not trying to hijack this thread. It's exciting that there's so many different viable and thriving VR options.

I would go for a quest and wait for PS5 and hopefully psvr2 announcements and what they're going to offer. My guess is that PSVR2 will be either backwards compatiblewith PSVR or that the best haves will be ported to it and improved to make use of 6DOF, better controllers etc.

I have a PS4 but in skipping on the PSVR because I think it's too troublesome and I don't mind waiting to play those games at a later time.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

As someone excited to see VR take off, it's a bummer to see Sony silo off their software. I get it for stuff like Astro Bot, but moneyhatting RE7 VR is a real bummer.

I'm down for it as well, but I think 1 more gen of mobile chip should provide a lot more parity with VR offerings

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure that RE7 VR can be ported to anything at this point.

Of course it may sell very little given that it's an old(er) game and there's little buzz at this point.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

I know the struggles, I have had the pro/PSVR since launch, Best gaming purchase for many years, I want the Quest as it's perfect for showing off VR and just enjoying quick experiences, Only reason I wont be buying it is software, The games available I already own and can't justify buying another headset to play the same games.

So for you it's about what your after, Do you want to play fully fledged games in VR( RE7, Skyrim, Wipeout, Borderlands, Farpoint etc) .. Like the games you mention, also Blood & Truth out this week, Iron Man This year! And for me personally No Mans Sky VR...... There will Be threads made when that games out that will just make you want to play it in VR so least PSVR has you covered in that regard.

Personally I would recommend PSVR simply because of the multitude of games available, And supported by PS5 going forward. Then get Quest 2 like I will further down the line when it's got the power to run the bigger and better games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4-port charger at home which we use for all our phones/tablets etc. I'd rather use that to charge my quest Han take up another socket. Do I just need any old usb-a to usb-c cable? I think all the ports are 2.4A so should be ok to charge, just perhaps not as fast as the standard plug.

And for connecting to PC, can I get a little usb-c to usb-a converter to use with the included cable? Everyone seems so happy whe usb-c is used but I don't have any stuff that uses it so it's a PITA

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Launch trailer for Sports Scramble. First ever footage of baseball.

EDIT: According to the Reddit thread, you can actually disable "scramble" modes and play pure tennis, bowling, or baseball. This is pretty huge. It looked like a cute gimmick that would tire quickly otherwise. This puts it back in the category of a Wii Sports type game. I'm still not thrilled with the price, but if the demo impresses me, I'll bite the bullet on it.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Still worried about no footage for Moss and Robo Recall...

I think that Robo Recall is going to look really rough in comparison to the Rift version (but will be ok on its own merits, especially once in the headset).

Moss will fare better but I agree that it's odd it has not shown up. Nothing to base this on...it's just how I see both games going.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
do you know what "moneyhatting" means
Moneyhatting is giving a developer who is working on a game extra money to guarantee exclusivity. It isn't having a regular publisher/developer relationship hiring a company to develop a game for them, that would not otherwise exist. Nobody for example thinks of Sony publishing Spider-Man for PS4 as "moneyhatting" Insomniac Games to guarantee exclusivity. Or Oculus hiring Epic to make Robo Recall for the Rift.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 4-port charger at home which we use for all our phones/tablets etc. I'd rather use that to charge my quest Han take up another socket. Do I just need any old usb-a to usb-c cable? I think all the ports are 2.4A so should be ok to charge, just perhaps not as fast as the standard plug.

And for connecting to PC, can I get a little usb-c to usb-a converter to use with the included cable? Everyone seems so happy whe usb-c is used but I don't have any stuff that uses it so it's a PITA

If you have a bunch of Micro USB cables, there are tiny adapters you can buy that convert them to USB-C (one example on Amazon.com) that should work fine for charging. I would also expect any USB-A-to-USB-C cable to work fine.

Caveat: I don't have a Quest so it's possible I am horribly wrong, but plenty of videos have mentioned testing with battery packs and many of those don't have USB-C ports so I doubt it'll be an issue.