• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
And the Index is sold out until February right now, right before Alyx comes out. Who knows if they'll be able to pay catch up. Oculus should have been more prepared at this point, though, if you ask me. I think Oculus Link truly put the Quest's value over the edge.

j0Ob458.jpg

This is a Steam PCVR graph, but things are definitely looking up for VR (although I never doubted it). Wait until we see December's numbers, shit is gonna go vertical.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here go from the CV1 to the Quest? Ever since I moved into an apartment it's been a bit more frustrating playing VR games, so I've thought about getting a Quest to let me play without having to lug my PC into my dining area so I have adequate room.

That's exactly what I did. Sold my CV1 here on Resetera. I plan on getting the official Oculus Link cable once it goes on sale to play PCVR games. However, I haven't touched PCVR since getting the Quest and have only been playing untethered. It's just too convenient to just be able to stick the headset on and start playing. Plus, the cord on the CV1 always broke the immersion for me.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder - every single year, vr sales have increased. Every year, more vr headsets are sold than the previous year. The last 6 months, the quest alone has sold half of what took the original rift 3 years to sell.

VR sales are exponentially increasing.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck I just bought one of these like 3 weeks ago for retail price, why is this happening?

Free Star Wars Vader Immortal. Also Boneworks, Pistol Whip, Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, 360 levels on Beat Saber, Half-life Alyx, alongside Christmas. Budget Cuts 2 and Layers of Fear just released today

Last edited:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I have a sealed one at home just sitting there in the Amazon box. My dad ordered it to my house for my nephews. I already have one (and love it) but part of me wants to ruin their Christmas for profit.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone here go from the CV1 to the Quest? Ever since I moved into an apartment it's been a bit more frustrating playing VR games, so I've thought about getting a Quest to let me play without having to lug my PC into my dining area so I have adequate room.
I did, the quest doesn't use external trackers it's built into the headset, also, the screen is much improved, clearer and feels bigger.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Reminder - every single year, vr sales have increased. Every year, more vr headsets are sold than the previous year. The last 6 months, the quest alone has sold half of what took the original rift 3 years to sell.

VR sales are exponentially increasing.
It's an S curve alright, and we are coming out of the slow part from the looks of it.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm glad to see that it's a success. It really is a great product, and of course this should help generate more interest in software development.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, the Gartner hype cycle also shows an interesting aspect of adoption in terms of expectations/interest:

I'd say we're just getting out of the trough of disillusionment. Enlightenment here we come.

VR has seriously been following the path of transformative technologies to a T for the past half decade

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It can also run SteamVR games, its just something Facebook doesn't like to talk about.
Just like how the game trailers on Playstation youtube channel doesn't show other platform logos for multiplatform games.
You can link quest to a pc via usb 3 cable, yeah can play be games from other stores, played Tetris Effect it's on epic store

Oh well damn, guess i'll keep an eye out when the prices go back down lol

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who gets one has to install SIDEQUEST.

So many free games to test out its great.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly Amazon had dropped the price on the 128GB version here in the UK for a while.

Love mine. Best gaming tech I can remember buying.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm continuing to be very glad I asked for a Samsung MR headset for christmas, instead. It was a tossup between that and a Quest.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the love for the Quest is making me question whether or not I spent too much on the Index. At $600 cheaper, maybe it's good enough and should cancel the Index and wait for the Quest to come back in stock..

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As a Quest owner who has mostly been using it for Link purposes on PC, I don't get why anyone would need a 128gb version of the headset- games are like 2 GB at most, and because it's a closed market, games are pretty expensive when compared to steam prices (very few sales), so I can't imagine even getting close to that 64 GB threshold

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Got mine on FaceBook marketplace for $300. They are also frequently on Swappa for around $330, for those looking to Jump In(TM).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
As a Quest owner who has mostly been using it for Link purposes on PC, I don't get why anyone would need a 128gb version of the headset- games are like 2 GB at most, and because it's a closed market, games are pretty expensive when compared to steam prices (very few sales), so I can't imagine even getting close to that 64 GB threshold

If money wasn't an issue and you wanted to be able to store a lot of movies for long flights, it's a scenario it makes sense. For most people, myself included, I just went 64GB and stream my media locally. Better to take that 100 dollars you save and invest in some comfort mods. Because those you will need and use.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
But....but VR gaming is not in demand so Xbox can't make a VR headset or even support it for the Xbox Series X.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Why would anyone not buy it from the Oculus Store directly? They have stock, at least here in yurop.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
VR is gonna be huge next gen. Will Phil Spencer change his mind and make headset for series X?

I wouldn't be surprised if the SX supports Windows Mixed Reality devices butit's just something they don't want to talk about right now because they don't want another Kinect infused launch. They wdon't want to turn people off with them having to think they need a VR headset to get th emost out of their box. I wouldn't be surprised if a little after launch MS will have some VR games or modes for PC and SX and the SX will allow you to use any WMR headset.

Oct 28, 2017
I tried this at best buy and didnt notice too big of a gap between this and psvr*. I just read that the new half life will be on this?

Im aware of the controls and wirelessness.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thought about getting one but I keep hearing it's not comfortable. I already have comfort issues with CV1 and PSVR so I suspect this won't work for me. :-(

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for VR to go mainstream.

VR and AR are going to huge! (in a decade or so... Maybe)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this at best buy and didnt notice too big of a gap between this and psvr*. I just read that the new half life will be on this?

Im aware of the controls and wirelessness.

You can hook it up to your PC and stream it using Oculus LInk (or Virtual Desktop if you wanna trade some lag for wireless). If your PC can't handle the heavy demands of HL:A, though, it's not going to work. It's all dependent on your PC.

Thought about getting one but I keep hearing it's not comfortable. I already have comfort issues with CV1 and PSVR so I suspect this won't work for me. :-(

I've had some HMDs that flat out didn't fit my nose (Sony HMZ-T1 and Samsung Odysessy+). They were physically incompatible with my face. The core of Quest is very good. If you're willing to be persistent and try the various mods, I'm confident almost everyone can eventually make it comfortable. My Quest may look like a freak, but it's actually way more comfortable than my Vive ever was. It just required a bit of persistence on my part.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
By default it is front heavy and I found it painful after 20-30 minutes, but I've added two accessories to mine that changed the game. The first was a battery pack I had lying around from my wireless Vive. I added that to the back with velcro cable ties. That improved balance a lot, but I still had red marks and lots of pressure against my face. So I ordered a Studioform headstrap for $20, and that was a game changer. It took the majority of weight and pressure off my face, similar to the PSVR forehead support, but without the hard halo squeezing around my temples. It was $26 shipped from NZ and took 6 days to the US. Last I checked, they were OOS though.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This is a problem with amazon in general. 3rd party sellers shouldn't be allowed to raise the prices on new products there. That's what eBay and classifieds are for.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Can you play VR from your comfy couch or do you have to stand up and move around?
You can find the standing/sitting/roomscale status of a game on its listing in the Oculus store under "Additional Details."

Superhot and Beat Saber require standing so you can physically dodge, swing, turn, etc, but many other games support sitting.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
This is a problem with amazon in general. 3rd party sellers shouldn't be allowed to raise the prices on new products there. That's what eBay and classifieds are for.
If Amazon didn't allow it, those sellers would just list them on ebay, and Amazon shoppers would just see a "currently unavailable" message. I guess that would prevent a few less informed consumers from getting the idea that Quest retails for $900, but still, it's about getting a cut from those $900 listings that motivates Amazon to allow it.