• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gOMEIsF.jpg

wow, no controllers needed for hand tracking coming to Quest in early 2020

At OC6, we demonstrated this new technology, which will launch on Quest in early 2020 as an experimental feature for consumers and an SDK for developers. That means that, starting early next year, VR devs will be able to build and ship experiences that let you use your own hands in VR without controllers or other peripheral devices—and the Quest community can get an early taste of what's in store by opting in to hand tracking early next year.

What began as a research project at Facebook Reality Labs has been brought to life through close collaboration with our product and design teams to bring about a new paradigm for VR input. Our computer vision team developed a new method of using deep learning to understand the position of your fingers using just the monochrome cameras on Quest today—no active depth-sensing cameras, additional sensors, or extra processors required. This technology approximates the shape of your hand and creates a set of 3D points to accurately represent your hand and finger movement in VR. Click here to learn more about the AI magic under the hood.

We look forward to sharing more in the months ahead.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quest is amazing. This + being able to connect it to a PC now is really great

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Star Wars VR thing I did in Downtown Disney had hand tracking. It was pretty cool.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy. Though the only downside I see is that you seemingly need to have your hands in front of the camera at all times for it to work.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Star Wars VR thing I did in Downtown Disney had hand tracking. It was pretty cool.
It's a little different. Star wars was just using computer vision to replace your hands with 3d models. Maybe that's what this is doing, I'm not sure. But I'm guessing that your hands have to be in front of you to be able to do anything.

DemonFox

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this would be possible for the Rift S as well. I mean, it also has the Cameras in the headset build in ?

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
If this works I will definatly be swapping my Rift or a quest. So tired of the USB problems with Rift.

Ganzzor

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm seems like its a Quest exlusive? hope we will also get this on the Rift S : / But after this conference, my 2 month old Rift S already feels outdated.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This is pretty damn neat. Hopefully this and the USB cable solution becomes industry standard for the next gen.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
So goddamn cool, feel like this isn't getting the attention it deserves. Taken to it's logical conclusion, this means no extra hardware and with it no extra batteries/total weight/cost/chance of failure. Amazing R&D work.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So with quest getting this and PC connectivity, what is the point of the rift s?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
So with quest getting this and PC connectivity, what is the point of the rift s?

Better clarity, more comfy headset, higher refresh rate, no latency or compression related image quality issues. If you just plan to use PCVR games the Rift S is still a better purchase, BUT even so the benefits of the Quest outweigh the benefits of the Rift by a mile now.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
As cool as this will be, seems a bit limited. Obviously no haptic feedback such as vibrations. No tactile sensations either because you've basically gotta pantomime holding a pistol or picking up a block. I can see this working with some experiences/games but not all. Having something physical to hold is pretty useful to the immersion for some things.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
As cool as this will be, seems a bit limited. Obviously no haptic feedback such as vibrations. No tactile sensations either because you've basically gotta pantomime holding a pistol or picking up a block. I can see this working with some experiences/games but not all. Having something physical to hold is pretty useful to the immersion for some things.
I think this will mostly be great for social apps/experiences. For gaming there's no getting around the need for a controller.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this will mostly be great for social apps/experiences. For gaming there's no getting around the need for a controller.
Yeah, it's a fantastic extra option to have, but it won't replace controllers (for now, anyway). I have a Rift CV1 and being able to perform simple tasks and UI navigation without having to blindly grope around for my controllers, or conversely needing to blindly drop my controllers so I can take a sip of a drink, would be extremely welcome.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Words on twitter who tried it, says that the hand tracking isn't perfect yet. You'll lose tracking if you move too fast for example. Then again they have months to improve it

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Quest is a really tempting but I feel the processor is fairly weak . I hope they update with next gen mobile processors and I'll be in .

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quest is a really tempting but I feel the processor is fairly weak . I hope they update with next gen mobile processors and I'll be in .

Qualcomm is currently preparing to release the next gen VR reference headset that runs Snapdragon 845.

it (and any other standalone VR headsets) will never have the same mobile processor as a high end smartphone released in the same year, because Qualcomm takes time to retool it for VR reference headset, and because of cost issue.