• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oculus Quest yay or nay?

• I will be there day one!

Votes: 74 15.6%
  • I'm keeping an eye on it. I might pick it up a bit later.

Votes: 154 32.5%
  • Only PC/Console VR for me.

Votes: 110 23.2%
  • I'm waiting for next-gen consumer VR (eye-tracking etc.) before joining the medium.

Votes: 69 14.6%
  • I'm not interested in Virtual Reality.

Votes: 67 14.1%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
fAUhRle.png

Ok Zuckerberg, do that and you have one more buyer. Offer a solid wireless experience (ideal to show to friends too) and a solid pc experience for home with the same device, and you are going to have a huge lead over the competition.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Great that it's wireless and that's the future, But the fact the big games wont work for it puts me off, I dont need a new headset for the games/experiences they are releasing with it.

Giveme Skyim, Lone Echo, Borderlands etc and then i'll happily buy one.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Great that it's wireless and that's the future, But the fact the big games wont work for it puts me off, I dont need a new headset for the games/experiences they are releasing with it.

Giveme Skyim, Lone Echo, Borderlands etc and then i'll happily buy one.

Thats going to be up to two things

- how powerful and battery efficient Snapdragon mobile processing can get

- How large the resource requirements can be reduced through tech like Foveated Rendering

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If that USB-C port was a VirtualLink port so that the Quest could be used as a PC VR headset, I would be buying one of these immediately.
$399 for a portable headset seems very appealing compared to $999 for the tethered Index from Valve, but I don't like the idea of being locked into Oculus' ecosystem, or giving Facebook money.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If that USB-C port was a VirtualLink port so that the Quest could be used as a PC VR headset, I would be buying one of these immediately.
$399 for a portable headset seems very appealing compared to $999 for the tethered Index from Valve, but I don't like the idea of being locked into Oculus' ecosystem, or giving Facebook money.

Yeah Im hoping we see a true Hybrid Stand Alone and PC Connection headset in the near future

Preferably from a competitor of comparable quality

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
fAUhRle.png

Ok Zuckerberg, do that and you have one more buyer. Offer a solid wireless experience (ideal to show to friends too) and a solid pc experience for home with the same device, and you are going to have a huge lead over the competition.

I already pre-ordered it from Amazon, but this would be amazing. I wonder if it's technically possible. I don't expect it, but this would be my ideal solution (considering the Index pricing). It'd be a big upgrade over my Vive (for cockpit and seated gaming).

tenchir

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it's a VirtualLink Port. It's likely the charging port or for external flash memory.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it's a VirtualLink Port. It's likely the charging port or for external flash memory.

It's definitely that. But aren't they pretty much the same thing? Valve seems to be selling a USB-C to VirtualLink adapter for the Index:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072830/VirtualLink_USBC_Adapter_for_Valve_Index_Headset/

The question is whether it would need more than the actual port to make this work. Or whether Facebook would actually want to make it work. Why would anyone buy a Rift S over this if it could work with PC? Seems like it would completely kill the S off.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I've been testing Oculus Quest for nearly two weeks now. Here's my feature-length review at Ars: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...-new-gaming-system-is-wireless-affordable-vr/
Thanks, will read it right now.

By the way, do you guys think the 64 GB version will be enough since games for it will be of a smaller scope?

In Europe the 128GB is 549€ and I can't justify that, 449€ for the 64GB feels ok but I fear the OS ending up occupying half of that space and them being only able to fit 4 or 5 games.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Average install sizes for games on my Quest review unit have been 500MB. For bigger experiences, I estimate a 2GB max on average (none of the current testing apps are that big yet).

You mentioned the screens don't look quite as nice as the Vive Pro.

Have you had a chance to test any high resolution videos? I would assume those would be super-sampled in the same way they would on Vive Pro. Does the gap close any? It'd be a good apples-to-apples test (assuming any video apps are currently available to you).

tenchir

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely that. But aren't they pretty much the same thing? Valve seems to be selling a USB-C to VirtualLink adapter for the Index:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072830/VirtualLink_USBC_Adapter_for_Valve_Index_Headset/

The question is whether it would need more than the actual port to make this work. Or whether Facebook would actually want to make it work. Why would anyone buy a Rift S over this if it could work with PC? Seems like it would completely kill the S off.

USB-C or Type C connector is just that, a connector. Devices that has a USB-C port "could" have support for the following technology, but it doesn't necessarily support all of them; USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB-PD, USB Alt Mode, USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt3, VirtualLink.

The USB-C port on the Index and Nvidia RTX card are for VirtualLink which is just a slightly different standard than normal USB 3.1 Gen 2 stuff which gives you DisplayPort Alt Mode(Video), 10Gbps data transfer, and USB-PD.

The USB port on the Rift Quest is likely not for VirtualLink at all. Just for charging the headset and possibly secondary storage (Flash drive)via USB 3.0 data protocol.

Last edited:

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Preordered this after seeing the Valve Index price and features. 130 degree FOV isn't enough to counter inside-out tracking, wireless headset and $400 price tag.

tenchir

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered this after seeing the Valve Index price and features. 130 degree FOV isn't enough to counter inside-out tracking, wireless headset and $400 price tag.

Are you confusing this with Rift S? This headset is entirely self contained. The Rift S is the one that requires a PC to work like the Index. This is basically a high end version of the Oculus Go.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Scratch what I said before. Reviews and impressions (and Index price) sold me on this. I want room scale and wireless more than high fidelity. The S is cool looking and all but I'll take the drop in pretty graphics for the gained freedom...

And I cannot come close to affording a wireless solution for PC.

So I guess my hype is much higher now, and I shall see some of you in three weeks.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
You mentioned the screens don't look quite as nice as the Vive Pro.

Have you had a chance to test any high resolution videos? I would assume those would be super-sampled in the same way they would on Vive Pro. Does the gap close any? It'd be a good apples-to-apples test (assuming any video apps are currently available to you).

You know, that's not a bad idea. I can't load my own high-res video files into Quest yet, but I can load high-res YouTube videos and compare. Three moments, please. (I'm away from my Quest right now.)

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Pre Ordered the S on Amazon. Loved the original Oculus for it's comfort compared to the Vive, but hated the cameras taking up so many ports. This seems like it fixes most of my issues with first gen VR headsets.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Are you confusing this with Rift S? This headset is entirely self contained. The Rift S is the one that requires a PC to work like the Index. This is basically a high end version of the Oculus Go.

No confusion. Between the Rift S and the Quest, I was much more interested in the Quest due to the wireless nature of it.

The only other competitor then to the Quest was potentially Valve's Index, but there just isn't enough innovation for a $1000 asking price.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Just preordered the 64GB Quest. I've been waiting to jump into home VR, and this feels like the right time.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just preordered mine. For the fellow Aussies around, Amazon AU guarantees deliveries on the 21st. Apparently they'll have stock leaving their warehouses in Australia instead of importing it like we do when buying directly through Oculus.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
So the reviews seem to be almost all very positive no?
Except for the Verge.

But should I preorder or not? You can't get them in brick and mortar stores in australia it seems.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There is, Go connected via ALVR using wifi, Quest should be able with sideloading as well, Carmack was also working in something in one of his usual twitter posts.
WiFi video streaming is not really the same thing as a true wireless VR headset with a high-bandwidth low-latency dedicated connection.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I meant wire-less, as in no wires coming off of it tethered to another machine. But technically I think the Quest also has wireless connectivity. So either way haha.
I think it's important to keep the two distinct.
  • Wireless = PC-based, but without requiring a DisplayLink connection to the PC.
  • Portable = Self-contained device which does not require a PC at all.
It might technically be possible to stream compressed video from a PC via a 5GHz WiFi network to a portable headset, but that's not the same as a dedicated 60GHz WiGig connection from a true wireless headset, which should be nearly indistinguishable from using a wire.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Hmm... this is interesting. What do the games look like? Are they scaled-back versions of Rift games are do they look comparable? Perhaps in the neighborhood of of PSVR games?

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I think it's important to keep the two distinct.
  • Wireless = PC-based, but without requiring a DisplayLink connection to the PC.
  • Portable = Self-contained device which does not require a PC at all.
It might technically be possible to stream compressed video from a PC via a 5GHz WiFi network to a portable headset, but that's not the same as a dedicated 60GHz WiGig connection from a true wireless headset, which should be nearly indistinguishable from using a wire.

Hence the wire-less vs wireless. But we're diving into semantics. It could be argued that to the layman consumer, both 'wireless' and 'portable' could be used to accurately describe a "lack of cable tethering the headset to a PC", but I can appreciate the distinction. If we want to dive further, is a headset tethered to a laptop that's strapped to a person 'portable'? Maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Average install sizes for games on my Quest review unit have been 500MB. For bigger experiences, I estimate a 2GB max on average (none of the current testing apps are that big yet).
oh man thanks for this. I'll most likely be changing over to a 64GB pre-order. I definitely won't need to carry 70 games around with me. But I'll definitely watch this space.

I've owned VR games since the launch of Rift and Vive and barely have more than 40 games over the years. Assuming games stay around or below 4GB in most cases, that will be around 20 games that I can have with me at any given time. Good enough.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Man I really want a Quest but alas I lose my job on Friday. Yay mismanagement.
It's probably one of my first purchases once I secure new employment.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wish I could change my vote... I said I'd wait and see but I pre-ordered immediately.... I'm weak.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK was showing unavailable yesterday but available today. Have preordered just in case but have more flexibility with amazon to cancel/return vs ordering through oculus

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bjsz8x/casting_quest_gameplay_to_iphone/

Posted in the other thread too, but first actual footage of bowling for Sports Scramble.

Amazon UK was showing unavailable yesterday but available today. Have preordered just in case but have more flexibility with amazon to cancel/return vs ordering through oculus

Are they giving you an actual date? In the US, Amazon sold out within minutes on the 30th. Then yesterday it was back in stock, but if you added it to your cart, they couldn't actually give you a ship date.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bjsz8x/casting_quest_gameplay_to_iphone/

Posted in the other thread too, but first actual footage of bowling for Sports Scramble.

Are they giving you an actual date? In the US, Amazon sold out within minutes on the 30th. Then yesterday it was back in stock, but if you added it to your cart, they couldn't actually give you a ship date.
It went back in stock on the 30th, with the date pending thing. It was like that when I pre-ordered mine on the 30th.