• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oculus Quest yay or nay?

• I will be there day one!

Votes: 74 15.6%
  • I'm keeping an eye on it. I might pick it up a bit later.

Votes: 154 32.5%
  • Only PC/Console VR for me.

Votes: 110 23.2%
  • I'm waiting for next-gen consumer VR (eye-tracking etc.) before joining the medium.

Votes: 69 14.6%
  • I'm not interested in Virtual Reality.

Votes: 67 14.1%

• Total voters

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
If last year's surprise release of the Oculus Go is any indication then we might see Oculus Quest become available during Facebook's April 30th event next week. I will be keeping my credit-card ready...

Oculus Quest represents the launch of a new Virtual Reality product category. A Virtual Reality device that is both standalone & portable yet offering full 6-degrees-of-freedom tracking capability for both the headset and controllers. It requires no external sensors and no separate computer. It is all in the headset itself. There are no wires at all and it's practically a console experience with no driver issues or things of that nature. VR has never been this friction-less. And it's coming in at a very good $399 price.

And what about the games? There's heaps including Beat Saber, Moss, Star Wars, Superhot VR, Tilt Brush, VR Chat etc. See the game lineup thread for a more complete list.

What level of interest do you currently have for this device? Please vote in the poll and describe in further detail where you stand.

dims

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
I can't fucking wait!! Day one for me! Superhot VR, Robo Recall, and Rec Room were all I needed and they're all gonna be there at launch. Plus I'll finally try out Beat Saber. Wireless VR is gonna be amazing!

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's really cool but I have no interest in locking myself into the Oculus ecosystem any further. Gonna already be losing a handful of games when I go from Rift -> Index so I'll stick with the open platform from now on.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to stick with my Rift for now. I'm more interested in what Valve is going to offer with the Index.

The idea of getting rid of the wires is really enticing but I just don't feel like we're at the point yet where these things are powerful enough to be a good substitute for the Rift I already own.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Was tempted to pick it up just to have an easy portable VR headset alongside with my Vive, but then Valve announced their new headset so this is on the back burner for me for a while.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
My aunt tried my Vive and wanted to look into get VR for my cousins. This should be great for them since they won't have a top of the line gaming PC.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually not at all down for this until like a week ago.

But now I'm kinda getting that itch. Wireless, portable VR is really tempting.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't end up using the Rift after a while and I'm a big VR fan. I think it was partly content but also the fact it was always such a pain the use the PC. I think the QoL or having a stand-alone system is a big win for me but I'm still waiting to see whether they keep the content up.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
where's the option of "Im very interested in the technology, but I don't want to fund facebook, so i'll just get the Index instead"

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I have PSVR and used to own a Rift, but I'm waiting for a next gen VR unit before really jumping back into VR (4k per eye with foveated rendering to reduce GPU load). In the mean time, I'll occasionally play PSVR.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Rift and I'm more interested in waiting for a next-gen Rift. The Index seems interesting but I've had better experiences with native Oculus SDK games than games that use SteamVR.

Depending on how far out a Rift 2 is, I might consider a Rift S in the meantime as a stopgap. Not interested in the Quest at all; I want a PC backing the headset for versatility and graphical fidelity. The headset being wired has never been a big issue to me.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have tried both this and PSVR:

how does the resolution stack up? performance? do you need a facebook acct to use this?

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in it, but Facebook is pretty shitty and $400 ain't cheap. I think I'll wait until black Friday and see how low it goes and also look at Valve's Index as well.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to either order Valve index Knuckles and/or Headset or a Quest day 1. I'm waiting to see the price on the Index + Controllers, but I'm leaning towards that for now assuming they both work with Lighthouse V1's.

I'm still strongly interested in the Quest, but I want to have real thumbsticks for NMS VR more :P

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I already have a Rift and I'm kinda over VR. I'm going to wait for the tech to evolve more.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I'm hyped for Quest...but my day one purchase all depends on the type of software support we get and what Facebook's social VR plans are. I know that people tend to overlook VR World person-to-person connections because that's not as sexy as gaming, but if there's a real social hub and a front end UI that feels like Oculus is taking Quest seriously as an Eco-system, I'm all in.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's really cool but I have no interest in locking myself into the Oculus ecosystem any further. Gonna already be losing a handful of games when I go from Rift -> Index so I'll stick with the open platform from now on.

This is the main thing (besides really disliking Facebook) giving me pause. I'm fairly certain I'll pick one up the week it releases, but if Valve shows a high quality wireless add-on for the Index, I'll probably ditch that plan. Not optimistic about that, but I'm not going to lock into it until I'm sure about that.

I have a Rift and I'm more interested in waiting for a next-gen Rift. The Index seems interesting but I've had better experiences with native Oculus SDK games than games that use SteamVR.

Depending on how far out a Rift 2 is, I might consider a Rift S in the meantime as a stopgap. Not interested in the Quest at all; I want a PC backing the headset for versatility and graphical fidelity. The headset being wired has never been a big issue to me.

If you're only interested in Oculus' funded titles, then sure. Understand, though, that a SteamVR HMD doesn't have the same issues with SteamVR games as Oculus does. So if you're mainly playing non-Oculus titles, it's a benefit having your games in a storefront that welcomes all brands (and doesn't limit your future purchasing choices).

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
where's the option of "Im very interested in the technology, but I don't want to fund facebook, so i'll just get the Index instead"

Yeah for real! Oculus has some nice exclusives. And the original Rift was probably the best value headset. But anything Facebook makes is completely off the table for me. If one of my parents were interested in VR though, it'd be hard not to recommend the Quest to them. They are already big into Facebook as is, and just don't care about any of it's issues as a company.

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Beat Saber and such are great launch games but it's equally exciting that the major alternative and non-game applications like VR Chat, Rec Room & Google Tilt Brush are there from day one.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Untethered VR is going to change the game for mainstream VR, and I feel like even PC VR users are underestimating how important untethered, self contained arena scale VR is going to be.

I'll be in Best Buy early on the 30th to try to get it early like I did with the Go tbh.

I already have a Rift and I'm kinda over VR. I'm going to wait for the tech to evolve more.

Untethered, self contained arena scale. That's a huge shift from the current VR paradigm, to the point that the Quest is clearly Oculus's marquee product. Carmack himself has very explicitly expressed that he feels this style of VR is the future and his own personal focus.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that this doesnt have an MicroSD slot to expand its memory?

If so thats kind of a deal breaker

EDIT: It doesnt

"Unfortunately neither Go or Quest feature an SD card slot, so you're stuck with the storage you buy. Facebook is working on the ability to use USB storage, but there's no release date for this feature yet. "

These fucking anti consumer assholes. Hopefully they support USB storage or some hacker does it. This iphone gatekeeper shit has to stop

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If I didn't have psvr already I'd be getting this right away. I'm really interested though. Not having to set things up each time to play vr and the lack of space it'll take up are really important to me.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Been looking to get back in to VR with a more affordable set up. Either one of these new Rift variants sounds good.

Though, and I hate to ask, is that slime ball Trump guy still at oculus? I just about got over the Facebook ties. But if that ass is making mega bucks off these headsets still, then I'll have to pass for now,

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand the Oculus Quest looks like the best standalone device for the near future in both performance, features etc.

The bad news is the amount of control being exerted over it and the anti consumer choices being made. Locking it to its own isolated software store and not offering expandable memory (instead opting for the iphone storage gouging) is fucking annoying

They did say they wouldn't lock people away from sideloading apps and theoretically we could get USB expandable storage from hackers that unlock this thing along with other restrictions being removed.

But that strictly puts this device in wait and see mode for me at the moment. I wanted this to be my pick up and play Beat Saber device initially and I can still go that route (64GB should be fine to start with) but I also want a massive library of custom songs so I might wait and see just how quickly the community can crack this thing open and actually make it better

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I am debating whether I should get Rift S or Quest or both. The wires and sensors are the reasons I sold the Rift and PSVR but I dont want to lose out if Quest doesnt support the games I want to play.

Buying both in Canada would be very expensive too.

Maybe I should get one and wait for a price drop of another

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I am debating whether I should get Rift S or Quest or both. The wires and sensors are the reasons I sold the Rift and PSVR but I dont want to lose out if Quest doesnt support the games I want to play.

Buying both in Canada would be very expensive too.

Maybe I should get one and wait for a price drop of another

As much as I hate being tethered the Rift S is nice in that it only uses a single wire and no other hardware. A nice upgrade from before

I'm mostly into stand alone at the moment since I have stubbornly been avoiding building a new PC lol

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
As much as I hate being tethered the Rift S is nice in that it only uses a single wire and no other hardware. A nice upgrade from before

I'm mostly into stand alone at the moment since I have stubbornly been avoiding building a new PC lol
You know I think I will opt for Quest too. My PC is outdated and even a single wire is one wire too many lol I cant tell you how many times I tangled myself up with both PSVR and Oculus. Looking at you RoboRecall

I hope the visual novels, etc are compatible with Quest

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm interested in VR, but this is not for me - I like VR as a local multiplayer gimmick and it's pretty much impossible to do right with this device since it can't connect to something like a TV or a Steam Link or something like it to share the picture. Without that it's strickly 1 player that can enjoy it.

Also I'd have to rebuy a lot of games for this device and I don't want to build a separate VR library.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Great piece of tech, The fact it's already wireless is insane and really hope people jump aboard with it, I'm only holding off because i'm well in the VR landscape already, And i need big immersive games to play etc and the Quest wont be getting those because of it's power. Going forward though it's exciting news.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
The general consensus here seems to be "It's nice, but I hate facebook", which is fair, honestly.
That said, so far it's really the only hardware of it's kind that has actual games, and proper 6dof.
Apparently the vive focus plus is selling for literally double the price of the quest, with only a fraction of the content and less accurate tracking. Basically being sent out to die.

I'll be waiting for reviews before I make a decision. I will admit I'm pretty excited for it.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I really really would prefer to not buy any more Oculus stuff, but I honestly think this form factor is a really good direction to go to create a mainstream "console VR" lane for the industry. It's getting a lot of big name titles people have loved on the other platforms and the freedom of being wireless is going to result in me choosing Quest versions over Rift, kinda like I do with Switch third parties for the portability.

I'm a sucker, so I'll be there day one for the Quest. I just wish someone else made it. I wish there was a gaming company that already puts all its stuff on mobile hardware who could tackle this form factor. Until that happens, I'll probably be using the Quest for a lot of my VR gaming.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those who have tried both this and PSVR:

how does the resolution stack up? performance? do you need a facebook acct to use this?

Haven't used it, but given the dated mobile phone internals of the Quest, there's no way the games are going to be PSVR level.

I'll wait a few more generations before buying in.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Excited for the potential, and it's a pretty big step forward for VR in general.

Haven't bought a VR setup yet, but I'm strongly considering getting the Rift S for $399 or the Index if it falls within $500-$600.

Gonna be an exciting next week!!

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be There day 1. This device will help VR in a big way. Everyone I've shown the Rift to has been impressed with the technology, but when they find out you need a gaming level PC to power it, the interest stops there. I plan on using this to show people that they can get into VR for a reasonable price. Also, going to see if my work is interested in having a VR room in their facilities and demo it to the site leads.

I really wish Oculus would have worked out a way to tether (or wirelessly connect) the Quest to a PC as an option. Feels like such a missed opportunity to go after both markets.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't used it, but given the dated mobile phone internals of the Quest, there's no way the games are going to be PSVR level.

I'll wait a few more generations before buying in.

But lots of the Oculus Quest games are on PSVR level, such as Beat Saber, Moss and SUPERHOT

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looks cool and am pretty impressed! Didn't think this kind of device could handle those games. I mean, it'll probably be the lowest settings of those games, but still impressive nonetheless.

I'd pick one up, but I'm pretty invested in my Vive already and will be getting the Knuckle/Index controllers when they release for it (if they work on gen 1 vive, though they should). Also I just bought a new GPU a month ago to run games better. Already spending too much on VR, lol.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Nay, but we are getting there for me to finally bite on VR.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
I got a £500 performance bonus at work and I was all set to pick up a Quest day one, but decided instead to go the PSVR route. This was for these reasons:

1) I already have a PS4 and I could get the PSVR, 2 Move controllers, the Aim controller, Farpoint and a couple of other VR games for the same price as the 64GB model of the Quest in the UK.

2) No Man's Sky and Everybody's Golf were already two of my favourite PS4 games so I desperately wanted to try them in VR; previews of the upcoming Iron Man game also have me very interested. Conversely, The Last Jedi made me fall so completely out of love with Star Wars that I have no interest in Vader Immortal.

3) One of my use cases for the wireless advantage of the Quest would have been business travel, which was what I used my Gear VR for the most, but on reflection the sort of hotel rooms that I typically get assigned (Premier Inn, etc) wouldn't easily accommodate a 6 DOF VR play space.

4) The extra hundred pounds cost for the 128GB model of the Quest in the UK, which is the one that I would have really wanted, is very disappointing.

I'm loving the PSVR - SUCH a jump over my dear old S6 powered Gear VR - and I'm sure the Quest will be a fantastic device too, but for my particular situation and tastes I eventually decided it wasn't for me. Perhaps when Quest 2 rolls around.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy with my rift so I won't be getting the quest. Waiting to see the inevitable psvr2 as an upgrade as I'm going to get a ps5 anyway. That won't be for a few years though.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that this doesnt have an MicroSD slot to expand its memory?

If so thats kind of a deal breaker

EDIT: It doesnt

"Unfortunately neither Go or Quest feature an SD card slot, so you're stuck with the storage you buy. Facebook is working on the ability to use USB storage, but there's no release date for this feature yet. "

These fucking anti consumer assholes. Hopefully they support USB storage or some hacker does it. This iphone gatekeeper shit has to stop

It's absolutely troubling. I'm enough of a slob that I wouldn't actually care if it required a USB thumb drive sticking out, but it's been a year with the Go and you still can't use USB for storage. So, IMO, there's not a whole lot of reason to be optimistic on this end.