• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Disappointing to hear that they really haven't done more with the most glaring issue of the Quest 1, that being the comfort. Yes there is the Elite strap but it doesn't sound like its a good replacement for a Halo/Crown ala Rift S or PSVR (where one can play for hours without discomfort).

Everything else (sans Facebook requirement) sounds absolutely brilliant. They are likely taking a nice bath economically having this be $299.

edit: This might be though.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

You keep using the word downgrade though. It's 15 lights vs 15 lights. It sucks that Covid hit and this thing is launching in a half-baked state (other option being delays into 2021), but this is clearly a software issue. And for whatever you want to say about Oculus/Facebook, one thing they've done (for better or worse) is constantly update their tracking software. In three months from now, I see absolutely zero scenario where this can possibly be worse than OG. Between the extra processing oomph and the two tone nature of the controllers, it's going to see significant improvements with time.

It's perfectly fine to call it out for launching in a sub-par fashion, but you keep saying it's an inferior design and there's literally zero proof this is the case.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Everyone but the Arstechnia review is very positive, but I see everyone focus on the one negative review.
I don't see why you wouldn't focus on that since it spells out that Facebook is basically going to track you, around you and your behaviour using a device you paid good money on. I don't really want to send Facebook a live stream of my life, do you?

Almost tricked into buying this bullshit, I'm quite pissed.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone but the Arstechnia review is very positive, but I see everyone focus on the one negative review.
Everyone I've seen but the ArsTechnica review sound a lot like infomercials and focus too much on the good on-paper specs instead of actual hands on testing. For example, as I haven't read them all, is there anyone else but Ars Techinca who at least tried Beat Saber on Expert or above in both headsets to actually put the tracking to any sort of test?

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Everyone I've seen but the ArsTechnica review sound a lot like infomercials and focus too much on the good on-paper specs instead of actual hands on testing. For example, as I haven't read them all, is there anyone else but Ars Techinca who at least tried Beat Saber on Expert or above in both headsets to actually put the tracking to any sort of test?

I'm afraid most of the youtubers appear to be nothing but shills.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Ars Technica article is very interesting and points out really well pro and cons.
I didnt know about the "mandatory facebook real name account" requirement... this i kind of a bad thing for me... I dont use my Facebook account by years... well I never really used it much. its not for me. But I guess I will have to live with it and hope its still working...

So is really so easy to connect it to a pc? Just the USB3.0 cable? And can I play steam VR games on it then?

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
I will say that most reviews read rather uncritical. But then again I just have a strong dislike for facebook so that may be my own bias

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ars Technica article is very interesting and points out really well pro and cons.
I didnt know about the "mandatory facebook real name account" requirement... this i kind of a bad thing for me... I dont use my Facebook account by years... well I never really used it much. its not for me. But I guess I will have to live with it and hope its still working...

So is really so easy to connect it to a pc? Just the USB3.0 cable? And can I play steam VR games on it then?
Yes, but I would look up which USB 3.0 cables work, as some apparently don't work quite as well. I use an Anker cable, which is great, albeit a bit stiff.
I'd like to get the actual cable from Oculus, but that's a lot of money, and I'm spending enough already on the headset + elite strap.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sound like Ars had an axe to grind.
This is a pretty crappy thing to say - especially considering that the writer of the review has already posted in this thread (though that shouldn't matter anyway).

I read through Sam's entire review and it seemed like a perfectly honest and thorough analysis of both the device and the other considerations around the device. And the device itself didn't impress him enough to recommend it regardless of the Facebook angle.

Maybe his headset had issues others didn't, maybe there were other reasons his review was different from others, but being reductive like this isn't constructive for anyone.

I still preordered it because I'm encouraged by what Devindra wrote for Engadget (I've followed him for years both at Engadget and at the /Filmcast and generally trust his reviews), but am ready to return it too if I don't end up thinking it's much of an improvement.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
This is a pretty crappy thing to say - especially considering that the writer of the review has already posted in this thread (though that shouldn't matter anyway).

I read through Sam's entire review and it seemed like a perfectly honest and thorough analysis of both the device and the other considerations around the device. And the device itself didn't impress him enough to recommend it regardless of the Facebook angle.

Maybe his headset had issues others didn't, maybe there were other reasons his review was different from others, but being reductive like this isn't constructive for anyone.

I still preordered it because I'm encouraged by what Devindra wrote for Engadget (I've followed him for years both at Engadget and at the /Filmcast and generally trust his reviews), but am ready to return it too if I don't end up thinking it's much of an improvement.

You are right, garbage take on my part. Apologies.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the launch of this could be a shitshow with the Facebook account integration, there's been quite a few posts over on r/oculus of people making new accounts and them getting immediately suspended due to FB's overzealous spam filter (election season playing a part in this I think).

Someone reached out to Oculus support about their account being suspended and they were just told to take it up with FB since they handle the accounts. It's like maybe they should have thought about implementing better communication between these two processes (Oculus and FB accounts) prior to the Quest 2 announcement and pre-orders going up. Hopefully this is worked out better before launch.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
A bit off topic, but I don't know where to ask otherwise. Can you install regular ass android apps with side load on the quest? Asking became se I would love to have the options m for xcloud on the quest, that would be dope!

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
A bit off topic, but I don't know where to ask otherwise. Can you install regular ass android apps with side load on the quest? Asking became se I would love to have the options m for xcloud on the quest, that would be dope!
Think you can, but not all of them work, they also need to work inside another app that works as a launcher in VR, don't recall the name, but you should find info about pretty easily.

Last edited:

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
My Quest order is already $600 since I'll want accessories and more storage. It's not a fair comparison, but it is a similar cost.

I went the 64GB route since it's going to end up mostly utilizing my PC outside of native rhythm apps such as beat saber and skybox streaming. It ended up at around $260 through target using some percentage bonuses and my discover card. I grabbed the elite strap battery/case set off of amazon using some credit I had through them. I really wanted the reverb but I used virtual desktop so much on my quest 1 for most games that I cannot really go full wired.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wireless vs Wired, $300 vs $600.

Virtual Desktop using Wifi 6 is going to be incredible.
pretty much where i'm at. wireless pcvr is the killer feature of the quest 2. the only other competitor is the obsolete vive pro with an expensive add on that apparently still doesn't perform super well.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
How do you get Wifi 6 out of a PC with no native support for it? Also, is direct Wifi an option for PC VR using Virtual Desktop?
Also interested in this. Getting a WiFi 6 router just for Quest 2 (have no need otherwise right now) doesn't seem worth it to me, but if there's a relatively cheap WiFi 6 adapter I can plug into my PC and connect directly that'd be compelling.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you get Wifi 6 out of a PC with no native support for it? Also, is direct Wifi an option for PC VR using Virtual Desktop?
not sure what direct wifi is but you can use either a motherboard with wifi, a wifi dongle, a wifi card, or you can run an ethernet cable to a wifi router.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
not sure what direct wifi is but you can use either a motherboard with wifi, a wifi dongle, a wifi card or you can run an ethernet cable to a wifi router.

Sorry. I meant Wifi Direct which is usually a way to say the wifi network is only established between two devices (one serving as the 'router', the other as the client)

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry. I meant Wifi Direct which is usually a way to say the wifi network is only established between two devices (one serving as the 'router', the other as the client)
I believe it is now. It used to be a little harder because Virtual Desktop needed a WAN connection for license checking, so if your PC wasn't also connected via Ethernet you'd be dead in the water with an isolated hotspot. But these days it should work even if the wireless connection is the only one on your PC (well, for single player games).

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely INSANE how much better a $300 headset is than the $1000 Index.

I'm not getting a Quest 2 (fuck FB) but the higher resolution screen it most definitely making the Index look inadequate. This generations VR headsets desperately need higher resolution screens and it's only now with the G2/Q2 that we are getting it.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bummed about the lack of proper lens adjustment and the Facebook requirement otherwise I would be in on the Quest 2.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Wireless vs Wired, $300 vs $600.

Virtual Desktop using Wifi 6 is going to be incredible.

Can someone explain Wifi 6 to me like I'm a small child? What's the minimum download/upload speed you'd need to make use of it? I have a modem/router with an ethernet cord running to my PC (through an ethernet hub). I would presumably need to upgrade my router... what else?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's weird how people are acting like the Ars review is the only review out there when every other review ranges from positive to glowing. fair enough to not like it, but some of the information in that review was contradicted by others. for instance, the tracking being worse on the controllers due to less IR tracking points. but Tested measured the tracking points and it has the same amount as Quest 1?
ERA just has a hate boner for Facebook and will cling to anything that validates their views. It's sort of no surprise the Ars review turned out the way it did.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain Wifi 6 to me like I'm a small child? What's the minimum download/upload speed you'd need to make use of it? I have a modem/router with an ethernet cord running to my PC (through an ethernet hub). I would presumably need to upgrade my router... what else?
just the router and you're good to go or get a wifi 6 card or dongle for your pc

edit: oh, and your internet speed wouldn't effect things.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Facebook Labs cut lots of corners to get the price down in their insane push to get make this thing immediately mass market. Quest 1 is premium product. Quest 2, by every review, is an improvement with some caveats. As much as I want that Logitech keyboard for the Infinite Office, I'm still not convinced that going to the Quest 2 is worth the jump. If there's a Quest 3 with improved cameras, etc...that's the one to watch. As it stands, though, I believe the Ars Technica observations. Quest 1 is a great buy if you don't already own the OG Quest, but otherwise, waiting on software improvements might be a better option.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
All I know Is that Facebook Labs cut lots of corners to get the price down in their insane push to get make this thing immediately mass market. Quest 1 is premium product. Quest 2, by every review, is an improvement with some caveats. As much as I want that Logitech keyboard for the Infinite Office, I'm still not convinced that going to the Quest 2 is worth the jump. If there's a Quest 3 with improved cameras, etc...that's the one to watch. As it stands, though, I believe the Ars Technica. Quest 1 is a great buy if you don't already own the OG Quest.
You're looking at the one review that's the known outlier and ignoring the copious amounts of praise. There's not really a lot of visible "cut corners", these reactions just read like sour grapes.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's sort of no surprise the Ars review turned out the way it did.

Oh, come now. I'm right here. It's one thing for anonymous Twitter people to tell me that my review was "biased," but you can critically read everything I wrote and see my specific issues with the hardware—all while I lauded, quite specifically, the screen in a preview state, before software was taking advantage of higher resolutions. I'm hopeful you can aim for higher discourse about my work.

I'll be coming back to Quest 2 ahead of launch to see exactly how 90Hz and Quest Link updates factor into the sales pitch, since neither was available for full testing. The Quest 2 resolution stuff in this video is promising, but it looks like some of those video's Valve Index clips have certain visual settings turned down. Possibly because it's running at 144Hz, which SteamVR would automatically correct for by downgrading resolution to keep that frame rate locked. (But that's just a guess; I don't know why reflections are turned off in the racing game solely on Valve Index.)

Agreed with another person about things that figure into real-world use, particularly FOV. Valve Index is still quite pristine in terms of operational resolution, and it's not certain how Quest 2 will handle medium-power PCs that can't reach the fidelity of its high-res panels.

And Oculus was pretty frank to me about this hardware not being built with wireless connectivity in mind, so I'm curious to see what other people can do with WiFi 6, without Oculus's blessing.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear that they really haven't done more with the most glaring issue of the Quest 1, that being the comfort. Yes there is the Elite strap but it doesn't sound like its a good replacement for a Halo/Crown ala Rift S or PSVR (where one can play for hours without discomfort).

Everything else (sans Facebook requirement) sounds absolutely brilliant. They are likely taking a nice bath economically having this be $299.

edit: This might be though.

To be fair, the Index is the most comfortable headset I've ever worn and I can wear it for hours no problem (I also own a PSVR). I can't speak to the Quest implementation but it looks similar.

EDIT: Actually looks like the Elite strap is a missing a lot of padding which is probably where it falls short.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
You're looking at the one review that's the known outlier and ignoring the copious amounts of praise. There's not really a lot of visible "cut corners", these reactions just read like sour grapes.
I own a Quest. I'm a huge VR enthusiast. I've seen every review and video comparison on YouTube. I don't gain anything by promoting or discouraging Quest purchases. I don't make one penny off Quest. I want VR in the hands of as many people as possible. Quest and whatever PSVR2 will end up being has the best chances of making that happen.

That said: stop being reactionary. I didn't offend FB or anybody who wants to buy a Quest 2. Nearly every review and hands on mentions:

Out the box strap is not good. The unit itself feels a little cheaper. The switch from OLED to LCD was a financial choice. If you see the BMF hands on, you'll notice that the method for adjusting IPD was...a curious decision. Even the packaging for Quest 2 took a dip. ARS did a direct comparison of Beat Saber between units, and stands by their findings despite being the outlier. Not saying that this wouldn't be improved by software updates, but I've got no reason to believe that what was said isn't true. Especially considering how comprehensive their analysis was.

What I'm saying isn't sour grapes. If you want to buy it, enjoy it. For the price and all of that storage you get, it's a GREAT deal.

I own the Quest 1. I'm aware of the compromises that Carmack pointed out in his talk. I'm saying that if you already own a Quest 1, the benefit of jumping in now isn't immediately apparent. The editor of Road To VR said something similar.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Absolutely INSANE how much better a $300 headset is than the $1000 Index.

To be fair Index is nearing 1.5 years old and was $500 for the headset, though it is lacking the onboard SoC of Quest. Most of Index's cost is in the $300 lighthouses and $300 controllers, which spare no expense for the quality of the experience. It will also likely maintain the advantage in comfort, adjustability, refresh rate, and FoV.

Disappointing to hear that they really haven't done more with the most glaring issue of the Quest 1, that being the comfort. Yes there is the Elite strap but it doesn't sound like its a good replacement for a Halo/Crown ala Rift S or PSVR (where one can play for hours without discomfort)

Halo straps are garbage compared to Index's. Can't say if Quest's Elite straps will be up to that quality, but based on reviews it sounds like it's pretty close.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
not sure what direct wifi is but you can use either a motherboard with wifi, a wifi dongle, a wifi card, or you can run an ethernet cable to a wifi router.

I had nothing but issues trying to use onboard wifi with quest 1, with my PC wired to my normal ethernet. Creating a hotspot in windows caused huge stutters every few seconds. I think if I was trying it again I'd set up the cheapest wifi 6 router/access point I could find, turn off DHCP and wire it into my ethernet switch in the same room I'll play VR

Would be expensive, but if wifi 6 is a noticable improvement in quality I'll totall do it. My patchy 5GHz connection playing HL:Alyx wireless was amazing

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Sure, but again, $300 vs $1000. And clarity is important to me.

You also get better tracking, native Steam VR integration rather than having to rely on Valve maintaining the compatibility layer, full finger presence, a real IPD slider, the best microphone and audio on any VR headset, extremely comfy padding, and interoperability with Vive Trackers for full-body tracking in certain titles.

Valve also have the best customer support in the industry. If your shit breaks, they *will* replace it, and will often do advanced RMAs to get your VR setup fixed ASAP.

The Index is firmly worth its price.

To get an equivalent experience to the Index (within reason) is going to require you to shell out for a high-quality USB cable on a powered USB port on your PC, a set of very good headphones and the hard strap accessory - that will put your total cost up to $450 or so.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I would avoid using VD with wifi hotspots from your desktop. Never had any success with them, be it from motherboards or PCIe cards. A dedicated AC router, even budget ones, is the better choice. Check the VD discord for recommendations, but I've had 0 issues with the cheap TP-Link AC1200 router.