• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.theverge.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: better, cheaper VR

The same features in a smaller, lighter package

8/10

arstechnica.com

Review: We do not recommend the $299 Oculus Quest 2 as your next VR system

Issues big and small, and that's before we get into the Facebookening of this thing.

verdict: avoid

techcrunch.com

Review: Facebook's Oculus Quest 2 is outstanding | TechCrunch

Facebook's virtual reality dreams have been a headache for the company. At CEO Mark Zuckerberg's prodding, the company has spent billions on Oculus and

www.polygon.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: smaller, cheaper, better

Improved in just about every way

uploadvr.com

Oculus Quest 2 Review: The New King Of VR, If You Don’t Mind Facebook

Next-generation standalone VR is here. Should you jump in? Find out in our Oculus Quest 2 review. Note: This review was originally published on September 16th Since buying Oculus six years ago, Facebook’s strategy for VR has been one of brute force. Where the nascent technology was still...

www.engadget.com

Oculus Quest 2 review: The $299 VR headset to rule them all

The Quest 2's top strap, meanwhile, is meant to be adjusted frequently.

89/100

www.techradar.com

Oculus Quest 2 review

Oculus Quest 2 offers small changes that make big differences

4.5/5

www.ign.com

Oculus Quest 2 Review - IGN

The Oculus Quest 2 improves the resolution and refresh rate of the original, while decreasing its size, weight, and price tag. See full review on IGN.

9/10

Adam Savage / Tested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x6lux6f_6g
UploadVr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNn1Cu6wbvQ
PCMag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moq1ulTghpk
Tyriel Wood / Vr Tech - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgVK73AUTE

I'll add more as I find em.

Last edited:

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
The hardware sounds great (especially for the price), but I'm surprised they didn't have a slew of new games to announce with it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Seems mostly positive and I'd expect some of the issues to be worked out with updates

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Based on Ars review: It's one big screen instead of two, now? Battery life lasts 90 minutes in some cases? No IPD slider? Worse light bleed? Controllers less accurate?

What in the fuck.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
2 hour battery life is pretty bad. I hope that can be improved with updates.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
The important question: Can you sideload and play your own offline videos?
Asking for a friend.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Based on Ars review: It's one big screen instead of two, now? Battery life lasts 90 minutes in some cases? No IPD slider? Worse light bleed? Controllers less accurate?

What in the fuck.

It's weird how much of an extreme outlier that review is, none of the others seem nearly as negative and you would think other reviewers would also noticed those negatives. Not saying the Ars review is bad of course, just very curious what caused that extreme difference between it and the rest of the reviews.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how much of an extreme outlier that review is, none of the others seem nearly as negative and you would think other reviewers would also noticed those negatives. Not saying the Ars review is bad of course, just very curious what caused that extreme difference between it and the rest of the reviews.
i would expect vr headsets to have more review variance than other products. each reviewer will differ in their susceptibility to nausea, tolerance for weight, head shapes, play space etc.

also, some people will use this entirely for pcvr, some people never touch pcvr.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

What in the fuck.

No IPD slider is the worst offender, since it effectively removes some people from being potential customers.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I feel less bad about having an original quest after reading a lot of this stuff. I don't like it for videos because of the screen door effect, but it works great for stuff like Beat Saber.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What in the fuck.
Those all sound like legitimate complaints, and pretty bad ones at that. Concessions for the low price I assume. It does actually have IPD settings, but only set increments. Based on that Ars writeup, it would be a mess for me as well since I sit around 61mm. The headstrap is also a significant downgrade with one strap vs the halo design. But they sell the old design as an addon for $50. It's weird to see all the other reviews so high, when the complaints seem quite legitimate to a regular VR user.

With the required Facebook account, this thing just seems bad from every single angle with the possible exception of getting VR into more physical hands (heads?).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are definitely a load of valid issues here that have me concerned but that Ars review is a definite outlier. I wouldn't stress about it too much.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i feel like i'd pay 50% more for a version from another company, one that didn't require facebook

edit: actually, after reading some of the downside stuff... i'll stick with my mk1

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Apparently this won't be available in Germany at all? Guess I have to import from Austria or the UK then.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The Tested video is a really good one to get all the details, including showing the IPD adjustment, how the new headstrap works, etc.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The ars tech review for quest 1 convinced me to buy the quest and I've loved it ever since, the quest 2 review convinced my wait this out till quest 3 or 4, or neither thanks the the FB bullshit.

No hw IPD adjustment kills this for me. Edit: fuck touching the lens to adjust the lenses. Extremely easy way to scratch up the lenses.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
If this wasn't associated with Facebook I would've considered it, but that ars review just makes it easier to not buy it.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
hoping we hear PSVR2 today if not ill probably sell my quest 1 to get quest 2.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm

I think Ill wait for a wireless competitor to give me a more open entry point

To many strings attached to this and honestly the Ars Technica review complaints surprised me

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I'll stick to my Quest 1. Plays the Quest games I want fine for now and the Virtual Desktop is using my PC's power for games either way.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I see we're doing the "ignore all these positive reviews and focus on this one negative review" thing again.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there is an IPD slider? Do they mention the other stuff the Ars review slammed them for such as light bleed and battery life?
3 distinct ipd settings. maybe software ipd adjustment will get added to fine tune it. they probably should have just charged 10 bucks more and put in a full physical slider though.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely a decent upgrade from the Quest 1, but the tracking notes from the Ars review is a big question mark. I'll chalk it up to pre-release issues for now, since they clearly adjusted the tracking for the Q2.

I was initially a day 1 buy to upgrade my Rift, but I'm going to wait on it. It looks like the price is not only $299, as I'd be looking at another $200 for the cable and battery pack strap to make it more functional and comfortable (or $140 if I buy a 3rd party cable).

I wish I had a way to try a Quest, because my biggest concern is high speed tracking in something like Beat Saber Expert+, and comfort.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
if you use this with the link cable to play let's say Alyx, do you still need a facebook login?

Almost certainly. The way it works now, you need the Oculus software installed on your computer and your Quest shows up as a headset that can be used for PCVR. Considering Facebook is gating even DEVELOPER MODE behind Facebook accounts, I cannot imagine they'd leave this open to people without Facebook accounts, especially considering they're not making any PC-only headsets from now on and Quest+Link will be their only PCVR offering going forward.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Almost certainly. The way it works now, you need the Oculus software installed on your computer and your Quest shows up as a headset that can be used for PCVR. Considering Facebook is gating even DEVELOPER MODE behind Facebook accounts, I cannot imagine they'd leave this open to people without Facebook accounts, especially considering they're not making any PC-only headsets from now on and Quest+Link will be their only PCVR offering going forward.
well back to my plan of playing alyx and then selling it.

OP
OP

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's likely a decent upgrade from the Quest 1, but the tracking notes from the Ars review is a big question mark. I'll chalk it up to pre-release issues for now, since they clearly adjusted the tracking for the Q2.

I was initially a day 1 buy to upgrade my Rift, but I'm going to wait on it. It looks like the price is not only $299, as I'd be looking at another $200 for the cable and battery pack strap to make it more functional and comfortable (or $140 if I buy a 3rd party cable).

I wish I had a way to try a Quest, because my biggest concern is high speed tracking in something like Beat Saber Expert+, and comfort.
Yup. The one thing I wanna see before buying this is someone completing at least one expert plus song

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So why exactly are they just doing video with USB-C? Because VirtuaLink died? :(

Is there no other way to pipe a GPU feed over USB-C?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So there is an IPD slider? Do they mention the other stuff the Ars review slammed them for such as light bleed and battery life?
How it works, the IPD slider has 3 locked positions, they cause the software to render at different positions on the screen and physically moves the lenses to match the new rendering position.

For those wondering about the Ars tracking point, he didn't say he noticed a tracking difference, he said the tracking volume at least seemed the same. He verified that the controller has the same number of IR lights, he thinks Oculus may just be flashing the lights differently or not using all the IR LEDs to get that improved battery life. Supposedly Oculus is using similar algorithms to the hand tracking to improve the controller tracking without using the IR LEDs as much. He says the device battery life is roughly the same as Quest 1.

He really, really liked the Elite headstrap, "Night and Day how comfortable this is" compared to the cloth headstrap. Compared it to using the Vive DAS for a FrankenQuest. He didn't test the version with the battery counterweight.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
How it works, the IPD slider has 3 locked positions, they cause the software to render at different positions on the screen and physically moves the lenses to match the new rendering position.

For those wondering about the Ars tracking point, he didn't say he noticed a tracking difference, he said the tracking volume at least seemed the same. He verified that the controller has the same number of IR lights, he thinks Oculus may just be flashing the lights differently or not using all the IR LEDs to get that improved battery life. Supposedly Oculus is using similar algorithms to the hand tracking to improve the controller tracking without using the IR LEDs as much. He says the device battery life is roughly the same as Quest 1.

He really, really liked the Elite headstrap, "Night and Day how comfortable this is" compared to the cloth headstrap. Compared it to using the Vive DAS for a FrankenQuest. He didn't test the version with the battery counterweight.
Thank you. I probably could have just read the review but I appreciate you indulging my laziness.