• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
So, Santa is bringing me a quest 2 for Christmas :)

Is the elite head strap a must buy? and is it worth getting lens protectors and a vr cover silicone cover part? Thanks for any advice.
Head strap: no, especially since they're really prone to cracking due to a design defect. Lens protectors: my case came with one to put in when the Quest's not in use. I've had three VR headsets now and never had lens scratching/light issues, but it helps with peace of mind, I guess? The silicone cover was a waste of money, I used it a couple of times and wish I had spent the money on another game instead.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
oooh I'm an idiot, thank you.

I'm pretty worried about scratching the lenses with my glasses. Do we know if it is exactly the same as the spacer or slightly less? I'd rather not risk it and already feel I'm very close as it is.
You can buy a lens protector if you are really worried about it, its like a lens but without prescription, plano they are called iirc.

Oct 27, 2017
Head strap: no, especially since they're really prone to cracking due to a design defect. Lens protectors: my case came with one to put in when the Quest's not in use. I've had three VR headsets now and never had lens scratching/light issues, but it helps with peace of mind, I guess? The silicone cover was a waste of money, I used it a couple of times and wish I had spent the money on another game instead.

Yeah silicone cover helps prevent foam from getting nasty if you sweat/workout but not much else and is not comfortable.

I like my elite strap so far, fingers crossed.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oculus must be totally reworking the elite straps after people reported them breaking.

I placed an order on Amazon for the elite strap on October 25th, with the understanding that it might be a while before it shipped.

On December 8th, my order was completely cancelled, and now the item is completely missing from Amazon.

Not mad, just curious what they're doing or what they've found.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Oculus must be totally reworking the elite straps after people reported them breaking.

I placed an order on Amazon for the elite strap on October 25th, with the understanding that it might be a while before it shipped.

On December 8th, my order was completely cancelled, and now the item is completely missing from Amazon.

Not mad, just curious what they're doing or what they've found.
Elite Straps are back on the Oculus store for direct purchase.

Someone on Reddit is posted a pic of an email they received, allegedly from Oculus support, advising they have narrowed it down to a small percentage of customers and have resumed shipping. Not sure how true that is but I've ordered one anyway...

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Someone on Reddit is posted a pic of an email they received, allegedly from Oculus support, advising they have narrowed it down to a small percentage of customers and have resumed shipping. Not sure how true that is but I've ordered one anyway...

Mine I got on release and it was fine for about a month then suddenly one day it cracked, I was super careful.

I contacted Oculus support, they asked for proof of purchase and my personal details so they could send me another and I finally got the RMA today and I don't need to send back my broken one, my new one is on the way. So glad because the elite strap especially with battery is so damned comfortable compared to the default one.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I got an Elite Headstrap with Battery at launch, no cracks yet. Very comfortable. Note, I do loosen it before putting it on.

Having said that, I have a work Quest 2 with stock cloth strap, and I actually do find it comfortable once it was adjusted correctly. Maybe not for hour+ sessions though (haven't tried).

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
www.ebay.com

Replacement Adjustable Headband Head Strap For Oculus Quest 2 VR Glasses | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Replacement Adjustable Headband Head Strap For Oculus Quest 2 VR Glasses at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Has anyone here tried these cheaper "elite" headstraps from China? Currently the Elite strap is super expensive for those of us outside the US, so this would be about half the price for me.... and I'm still considering eventually getting the official battery version eventually, so wondering if this cheaper one is good enough to hold me over till then...

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Awesome, thanks! I literally checked the Oculus store right before posting here so they must have just restocked minutes or hours after.

Ordered the Elite Strap with battery/case, and also got the foam insert.

Anyone get the foam insert made by Oculus? Wondering how it is. I tried a 3rd-party cover with my Quest 1 and never really liked it, but this one seems well made.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Seeing as Audica is the deal of the day does anyone have any views on it?

I already have Beat Saber and Pistol Whip with Audio Trip and Audio Synth on my "to buy" list. Is it worth picking up Audica too?

Ody1977

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought a Quest 2 for my son off Santa. Just a quick query really... Do you need a Facebook account to buy the games or can I buy the games now from an online store? I was hoping to buy him a few games ready so that they could be "wrapped" up for Xmas (not physical games I know but codes?) Thanks.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
It still slips a lot with it, hopefully the 3rd party halo strap fixes that.

I haven't had that problem, although I don't long have the headset and havent done anything too vigorous.

I may grab a halo strap as well, did look at one but the delivery was way after Xmas and I need an alternative to the cloth strap asap.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought a Quest 2 for my son off Santa. Just a quick query really... Do you need a Facebook account to buy the games or can I buy the games now from an online store. I was hoping to buy him a few games ready so that they could be "wrapped" up for Xmas (not physical games I know but codes?) Thanks.
Good news and bad news: Oculus added the ability to "gift" Quest apps last month, you tell the store you are buying the game "for a friend" and enter their email address. However, it'll probably send a message to the recipient the moment you do so, ruining any surprise. Also, it's unclear if you need a Facebook account yourself to do the gifting.

This is the web version of the store:

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

...and this is their support page about gifting:

Meta Store Help Center

Ody1977

Oct 25, 2017
Good news and bad news: Oculus added the ability to "gift" Quest apps last month, you tell the store you are buying the game "for a friend" and enter their email address. However, it'll probably send a message to the recipient the moment you do so, ruining any surprise. Also, it's unclear if you need a Facebook account yourself to do the gifting.

This is the web version of the store:

Shop Meta Quest VR Games, Apps, Deals and More | Meta Quest

Shop VR games, apps, and entertainment available on the Meta Quest headsets. Download hundreds of action, sports, and multiplayer VR games on Meta Quest.

Thanks... He hasn't got a Facebook account yet. Would I be able to put one of my email addresses in and receive the gift myself? Do they just email you the code for the game or do you have to link the gift recipient's email to the Facebook account using the quest?

Edit... Looks like I need a Facebook or oculus account to purchase from the store.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks... He hasn't got a Facebook account yet. Would I be able to put one of my email addresses in and receive the gift myself? Do they just email you the code for the game or do you have to link the gift recipient's email to the Facebook account using the quest?

Edit... Looks like I need a Facebook or oculus account to purchase from the store.
I did just verify, you can gift a game to any email address - it sends a code that works on any device. The only limitation is only the recipient of the email can get a refund, and you only have like a month to claim the code.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had that problem, although I don't long have the headset and havent done anything too vigorous.

I may grab a halo strap as well, did look at one but the delivery was way after Xmas and I need an alternative to the cloth strap asap.
Playing Alyx seated I have no problems, but with Beat saber, FitXR and Pistol Whip, it tends to slip, which makes everything blurry city.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Alyx seated I have no problems, but with Beat saber, FitXR and Pistol Whip, it tends to slip, which makes everything blurry city.
I recommend the VR Cover for that issue - it has a leatherette cover that grips your face better, keeping the headset from slipping. Not quite as comfortable as the default foam, but it's easier to wipe off.

Ody1977

Oct 25, 2017
Now to find him some games.... I think he would like beat sabre VR... He likes Rick and Morty so will try that. How is the walking dead saints and sinners game on the quest 2? Is the standalone version a lot worse than the pc version?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
What's the current situation with FB accounts on this? People getting their access revoked still?

Also, does Virtual Desktop still work for streaming VR on these, or did it get blocked?

I've been out of the game for a bit, but I'm trying to decide if I want one of these.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now to find him some games.... I think he would like beat sabre VR... He likes Rick and Morty so will try that. How is the walking dead saints and sinners game on the quest 2? Is the standalone version a lot worse than the pc version?

I found it pretty fugly. But it's impressive in a "they got this running on Switch" sort of way.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear that they seem to have fixed the issues with the elite strap, but I'm still a bit hesitant about it.
Personally I've had little issue with comfort using the default strap; but it does leave marks on my face after using the headset, and other people trying the headset found it difficult to adjust correctly.
My concern is that it seems to make the headset a lot less travel-friendly (not that it matters a lot right now) and seems like it would get in the way for sitting in a chair with a headrest or lying down.

I've recently been laid out with an injury and found that the Quest 2 is actually a pretty good experience laying back in bed and streaming Blu-rays from my PC in Virtual Desktop.
I'm still not sold on 3D movies at all though, after watching films like Dredd and Blade Runner 2049.
I always liked playing games in 3D on a 3DTV or n3DS, but video never seems to impress. VR videos on YouTube look awful too.

I also tried using Virtual Desktop to play some regular games in VR, with mixed results.
The main issue I have is that I like to sit up close to a large display, which involves looking around the screen using my eyes a lot - and VR is bad for that. When you look off-center things get blurry rather quickly - which meant that many games were not a great experience, compared to VR games where you use your head to look around.
Trying to play Disco Elysium was impossible due to the amount of text that I had to read, and the small area which was actually sharp and legible.
But some things like third-person games looked good, and can be made to run in 3D via ReShade which worked better than I expected.

I would highly recommend SUPERHOT VR if you have the space for room-scale gaming (something like a 2x3m space is more than enough).
The Walking Dead: S&S does not have good comfort options for movement in my opinion, so I would not recommend it for someone just starting out with VR.
I was able to play a game like Half-Life: Alyx to completion with no issues whatsoever, but TWD:S&S makes me motion sick very quickly since it only has smooth locomotion options (traditional video game movement rather than teleportation and walking around).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Are there good pre-made DAS clips available to buy now? I'm in an odd situation where I have the elite battery strap, elite strap, and DAS (from my og quest). Bought the elite strap as I almost gave up on the battery one but then it shipped too late for me to return the regular one. But depending how well the das works as comfort Vs the battery strap I might go that route for the earphones

Ody1977

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for suggestions... Will have a look. I don't think our PC's will be good enough for Half Life Alyx unfortunately. I'm only running a gtx 970 Ryzen 5 2600... And my son's pc is worse than that! Might be pointless getting virtual desktop then....

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone experienced with playing regular games in VR via like virtual desktop or Big Screen? I tried loading some up and they were freezing left and right on the headset. They were playing normally on my screen.

Do I need to be changing some settings or doing some tweaks to get this working?

Oct 28, 2017
New Zealand
www.ebay.com

Replacement Adjustable Headband Head Strap For Oculus Quest 2 VR Glasses | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Replacement Adjustable Headband Head Strap For Oculus Quest 2 VR Glasses at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Has anyone here tried these cheaper "elite" headstraps from China? Currently the Elite strap is super expensive for those of us outside the US, so this would be about half the price for me.... and I'm still considering eventually getting the official battery version eventually, so wondering if this cheaper one is good enough to hold me over till then...
I got an identical one off Aliexpress, and it's fantastic. So much better than the stock headstrap in that it's more comfortable, and easier to put on and take off. Aliexpress was cheaper too: NZ$41 including shipping. It fits snugly into the official Oculus carry case, though it won't close as it's a bit too high.
I also intend to get the official elite headstrap eventually, assuming they address the breakage issues. But in the meantime I'm more than happy with this cheap one.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone experienced with playing regular games in VR via like virtual desktop or Big Screen? I tried loading some up and they were freezing left and right on the headset. They were playing normally on my screen.

Do I need to be changing some settings or doing some tweaks to get this working?
I didn't have to do anything special, and had no issues like that, but you might want to give examples of games which were causing problems.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017

Saints and Sinners is PC VR, so you need a good PC and a Link Cable for that one. I don't love it. I think the best PCVR experience is likely going to be Half Life Alyx.

For stand alone Quest 2, these have been a big hit with my family and I:
- Pistol Whip
- Beat Saber
- Superhot VR

I'd get those three ahead of anything else. I quite like Space Pirate Trainer too, and Robo Recall is really fun - but it's much more impressive as PC VR rather than stand alone - Robo Recall and Robo Recall Unplugged (which is the Quest 2 native version) are cross buy, as is Pistol Whip, but not Beat Saber or Superhot, so choose versions carefully.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
No idea about the Quest 2 version, but playing the PC one on Quest 2 is awesome.
Its very hard and very intense but really fun

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use the same account across two headsets? For example, if I pick up a Quest 2, can my wife use my account on my Quest 1 and still play the games I've bought?

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Can you use the same account across two headsets? For example, if I pick up a Quest 2, can my wife use my account on my Quest 1 and still play the games I've bought?
Yes.

There was some outrage initially around this topic because a support rep said it was against the ToS and you would get banned. They officially corrected that.
otcrrpng7bv51.jpg

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

There was some outrage initially around this topic because a support rep said it was against the ToS and you would get banned. They officially corrected that.
otcrrpng7bv51.jpg
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm debating whether to grab one for my birthday, but the Facebook thing still really bothers me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
any tips for best video quality when streaming - either directly from the internet or from a NAS/local server? Thinking in particular with some of the oculus link/VR desktop methods to use higher resolutions, maybe there are some image quality improvements to help when watching movies etc on the headset

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm debating whether to grab one for my birthday, but the Facebook thing still really bothers me.
It bothers me as well, but I made the jump the other week and it's such an impressive piece of kit that I'm begrudgingly accepting it as the cost of entry. I've had PSVR since day 1 but logging onto the Oculus 'home' was such a "yup, this is exactly what it should be like" moment that I've re-purchased some PS VR games on the Quest and am considering boxing away my PSVR for the long term...

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It bothers me as well, but I made the jump the other week and it's such an impressive piece of kit that I'm begrudgingly accepting it as the cost of entry. I've had PSVR since day 1 but logging onto the Oculus 'home' was such a "yup, this is exactly what it should be like" moment that I've re-purchased some PS VR games on the Quest and am considering boxing away my PSVR for the long term...
Yeah. I have the Quest 1, so unless I get rid of that, I'll have to bite the bullet eventually anyway.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah. I have the Quest 1, so unless I get rid of that, I'll have to bite the bullet eventually anyway.
Ahh I missed that, I hear it's a tangible upgrade (experience may vary of course) but understand why you're not jumping straight in. If I were in your position I'd be definitely considering getting a Quest 2, only this morning I was listening to a podcast where they briefly mentioned a game that struggles on Quest 1 but is mostly fine on Quest 2. Can imagine that's only going to become more and more common as we head into 2021

Oct 25, 2017

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i'm curious if you guys think using quest on an airplane could alleviate panic attacks. i'm not consciously afraid of flying, but my body goes into full on panic mode regardless. i've used VR and fully buy into its immersiveness, seems like using VR to game or even do the virtual theater experience would help immensely. anyone in here have experience using it in a similar fashion?

i cant find much about this online - most searches talk about using VR as a therapy to get over the anxiety of flying, not to block it out.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Any good router recommendations for playing games over Virtual Desktop?

This is what I currently have:

TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps + 5Ghz 1350Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network, WPS (Archer C7): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

TP-Link AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps + 5Ghz 1350Mbps, 1 USB 2.0 Port, IPv6, Guest Network, WPS (Archer C7): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets
As long as your router has 5Ghz you should be fine.
Edit: Also if you want to use Virtual Desktop your router should be pretty close, like in the same room. Because 5Ghz has a relatively short range.

Last edited:

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
i'm curious if you guys think using quest on an airplane could alleviate panic attacks. i'm not consciously afraid of flying, but my body goes into full on panic mode regardless. i've used VR and fully buy into its immersiveness, seems like using VR to game or even do the virtual theater experience would help immensely. anyone in here have experience using it in a similar fashion?

i cant find much about this online - most searches talk about using VR as a therapy to get over the anxiety of flying, not to block it out.

I've used my Quest on a few flights and really enjoy playing good seated games like PinballFX, Tetris Effect, or even Brutal Doom (via Sidequest) - while I don't have flight anxiety, flying this year with Covid was made easier with VR because I didn't have to think about all of the people around me once I was blasting zombies :D

*BUT* the Quest in normal 6dof mode will *not* work well when the plane is ascending or descending, so imho, it's really only good during the middle of a long flight when it is at cruising altitude. If the plane ascends / descends, you'll see the vr environment fly away from you or studder at least as the accelerometer tries to figure out what is going on. Also, if there is turbulence, the tracking will pop up and down, and that could be very jarring.

I haven't tried it in 3dof mode (turn Tracking OFF in options) on a plane, but I'm not sure how many games / experiences would even work that way. Watching videos could work. I suppose it would help with the ascending / descending / turbulence tracking issues? I recommend trying 3dof mode not on a plane and get a feel if that's the experience you'd want or not.

Anyways - since the Quest 6dof experience is pretty jarring / unusable during takeoff / landing/ turbulence, I'm not sure it'd help alleviate panic attacks - I imagine those times would be the most panic inducing? Also you have to get over the "I look like a total dork wearing VR on a plane" which can produce anxiety too :D

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I've used my Quest on a few flights and really enjoy playing good seated games like PinballFX, Tetris Effect, or even Brutal Doom (via Sidequest) - while I don't have flight anxiety, flying this year with Covid was made easier with VR because I didn't have to think about all of the people around me once I was blasting zombies :D

*BUT* the Quest in normal 6dof mode will *not* work well when the plane is ascending or descending, so imho, it's really only good during the middle of a long flight when it is at cruising altitude. If the plane ascends / descends, you'll see the vr environment fly away from you or studder at least as the accelerometer tries to figure out what is going on. Also, if there is turbulence, the tracking will pop up and down, and that could be very jarring.

I haven't tried it in 3dof mode (turn Tracking OFF in options) on a plane, but I'm not sure how many games / experiences would even work that way. Watching videos could work. I suppose it would help with the ascending / descending / turbulence tracking issues? I recommend trying 3dof mode not on a plane and get a feel if that's the experience you'd want or not.

Anyways - since the Quest 6dof experience is pretty jarring / unusable during takeoff / landing/ turbulence, I'm not sure it'd help alleviate panic attacks - I imagine those times would be the most panic inducing? Also you have to get over the "I look like a total dork wearing VR on a plane" which can produce anxiety too :D

i'm actually fine with take offs and landings, and while concerning, even turbulence is fine (i'd imagine all but seasoned fliers have a bit of a "!" with big turbulence). its frankly completely illogical my "fear", but does seem like oculus would be worth a shot. not sure what else i'd do but drug myself into a slumber.